LTH Home

Paris Bistro Naperville

Paris Bistro Naperville
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Paris Bistro Naperville

Post #1 - August 8th, 2013, 8:27 pm
    Post #1 - August 8th, 2013, 8:27 pm Post #1 - August 8th, 2013, 8:27 pm
    Tonight my friends and I went to Paris Bistro, which is in the strip mall with the Showplace Theater on Route 59 at 95th Street. We just had desserts, but they were quite wonderful. The creme brulee was particularly excellent -- the kind of creme that trembles. Perfect. We also had chocolate mouse, delicious, molten lava cake with a small scoop of vanilla gelato, flourless chocolate cake, and mixed berry French cheesecake. All the pastries are made in house. They also have a variety of gelato.

But before we started all THAT, the chef came out with a nutella and blueberry crepe, gratis. He wanted us to taste what he was doing in the kitchen. It was delightful. The crepe was really tender. Crepes can be made gluten free, as well.

The current menu has changed a bit versus what's on the website, and they also have nightly specials. Tonight's were Chilean seabass with a cherry tomato sauce and polenta, or porkchops with an artichoke sauce. Monday & Thursday are half-price bottles of wine.

They also serve a brunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8-2.

The pictues on the website show the interior of the restaurant -- very well designed, but not many tables.

We plan on going back next week to try the savory....

Paris Bistro
    2835 Showplace
    630-357-1005
  • Post #2 - August 23rd, 2013, 6:06 am
    Post #2 - August 23rd, 2013, 6:06 am Post #2 - August 23rd, 2013, 6:06 am
    Made it back last night for dinner. We started with the french onion soup, which was delicious; instead of a single slice of bread on top, it had several torn-up pieces of bread with cheese on top, which made it easier to eat, actually. Not too many pieces of onion, but a very nice, deep flavor.

We also had friend green tomatoes, which were perfectly fried with a rather spicy aioli. Very good. Also tried the pommes croquettes, which were very creamy with a crisp coating.

One of us had the scallop and shrimp dish, with a slightly spicy coconut sauce, polenta, and cabbage salad. The scallops were huge and extremely tender. Dish was fabulous. The cabbage was a great counterpoint to the richness of the seafood and creaminess of the polenta.

The other had roast beef, 4 slices with a tasty herby/peppery crust and red wine reduction, which seemed a trifle sweet to me, but still very good. Served with hericot vert and an optional side of the mascarpone polenta, which made a great bite with the roast beef.

Finally, we ordered a dessert crepe each. One was the banana with creme brulee and the other was the very berry with berries and mascarpone. Both were huge -- one to share would have been enough. Crepes were incredibly tender. Each came with an espresso cup of gelato: berry and caramel, maybe?

The place was fairly busy, seemed to have quite a bit of walk-in business for gelato and desserts. The staff is super nice, and the chef came out to greet his diners.

This is the kind of neighborhood place that I'm glad to have in this desert of chain restaurants.
  • Post #3 - August 28th, 2013, 3:13 pm
    Post #3 - August 28th, 2013, 3:13 pm Post #3 - August 28th, 2013, 3:13 pm
    I'm happy to read that you a good experience. I went for dinner about a month ago and was very disappointed. I had roast chicken. Very simple meal. It was dry and overdone. I'm happy to give it another try. Besides, it gets me a little closer to the French bakery farther down on 59.
  • Post #4 - November 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm
    Post #4 - November 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm Post #4 - November 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm
    I went to Paris Bistro last night for my birthday dinner. The food was good but the experience didn't start out well.

The negative for me is that they absolutely insist that everyone wear a mask to gain entrance and walk to their table. This is the only restaurant in Illinois I've run into with this kind of strict policy. As a partner in a restaurant group, we don't enforce that because all it does is put a barrier between you and your customers. It could be why they were only one-third full at 7:00 on Saturday night. Most other places I go to are packed.

The positive was definitely the food. Photos below. I had the Tuna Tower to start and then the Lamb Shank. Both were delicious and very flavorful. I would have preferred that they chopped the spinach very finely in the mashed potatoes as the full leaves messed with the great texture of the potatoes.

My wife had the Onion Soup to start, and then a special, the shrimp Risotto. She loved the flavors on both. The soup wasn't salty at all. The only negative was that there were only three shrimp in the dish, which had their tails on still. With the place not giving us side plates, the tails ended up in a pile on the table.

The service was generally very good, with one nit for me. I expect a French restaurant to maintain the French policy of not clearing plates until everyone is done with that course. Paris Bistro does it the American way of asking to clear a plate when that diner is done, which I hate because it makes the other diners feel like they should stop eating. Bad form.

Their corkage policy is $25 a bottle, which I'm ok with. Their wine list is marginal. The server knocked it down to $15, so the $10 went straight to her tip.

Overall, the positives outweighed the negatives and we'll likely return.

• Post #5 - November 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm
    Post #5 - November 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm Post #5 - November 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm
    John Danza wrote:The negative for me is that they absolutely insist that everyone wear a mask to gain entrance and walk to their table. This is the only restaurant in Illinois I've run into with this kind of strict policy. As a partner in a restaurant group, we don't enforce that because all it does is put a barrier between you and your customers.

Good for them! You must frequent -- and be a part of -- some shoddily run places. Yeah it sucks but those are the rules. Don't like it? Stay home.

I'd love to know which group you're a part of, so I can be sure to avoid ever setting foot in one of your places.

Thanks!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #6 - November 23rd, 2021, 7:20 pm
    Post #6 - November 23rd, 2021, 7:20 pm Post #6 - November 23rd, 2021, 7:20 pm
    John Danza wrote:I expect a French restaurant to maintain the French policy of not clearing plates until everyone is done with that course. Paris Bistro does it the American way of asking to clear a plate when that diner is done, which I hate because it makes the other diners feel like they should stop eating. Bad form.

In this country, it's bad form for ANY restaurant to clear individual plates while others are still eating that course. It's not a French or American thing.
  • Post #7 - November 28th, 2021, 4:06 pm
    Post #7 - November 28th, 2021, 4:06 pm Post #7 - November 28th, 2021, 4:06 pm
    I find it amazing that putting a mask on for the 1-2 minutes it took you to get to a table caused a negative feeling on your part.

I can assure you that is not reason they were not full.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more