LTH Home

Penang Arlington Heights

Penang Arlington Heights
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - January 31st, 2016, 12:20 pm
    Post #31 - January 31st, 2016, 12:20 pm Post #31 - January 31st, 2016, 12:20 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:The specials contained some interesting items I had not seen before, such as beef with stinky bean. I'm intrigued as to what stinky bean is and will likely try for lunch sometime this coming week.

Those must be sator beans. Thanks for the heads up -- I'm a fan of both sator beans and Penang and will try to make it over there soon.
  • Post #32 - January 31st, 2016, 1:34 pm
    Post #32 - January 31st, 2016, 1:34 pm Post #32 - January 31st, 2016, 1:34 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    Sweet Willie wrote:The specials contained some interesting items I had not seen before, such as beef with stinky bean. I'm intrigued as to what stinky bean is and will likely try for lunch sometime this coming week.

Those must be sator beans. Thanks for the heads up -- I'm a fan of both sator beans and Penang and will try to make it over there soon.

I've had them in Thai dishes before (back in the day at TAC Quick). I believe one of the reasons they're called stinky beans is because they have an effect similar to asparagus.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #33 - November 11th, 2017, 9:27 am
    Post #33 - November 11th, 2017, 9:27 am Post #33 - November 11th, 2017, 9:27 am
    Penang no longer offers chicken rendang, that's ok, the lamb version is well worthwhile and was a nice meal to cap a hell of a week. (beef version is available as well)
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #34 - November 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm
    Post #34 - November 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm Post #34 - November 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:Penang no longer offers chicken rendang, that's ok, the lamb version is well worthwhile and was a nice meal to cap a hell of a week. (beef version is available as well)

I like the beef rendang so well, I never even noticed they had chicken rendang. Maybe that was a common reaction -- and maybe why it's off the menu. However, after your note, I'm going to scope out the lamb rendang -- haven't had that yet.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #35 - December 20th, 2017, 7:32 pm
    Post #35 - December 20th, 2017, 7:32 pm Post #35 - December 20th, 2017, 7:32 pm
    I went here for lunch today, first time. I asked the hostess to identify which items on the menu were considered Malaysian.

Based on these choices I selected Mango Chicken. It came with hot & sour soup, a spring roll, and rice. The menu indicated it was spicy. I told the waitress that was fine.

The soup was bland mostly liquid. The spring roll filling was thin. I ordered coconut rice, which tasted like rice. I've never have tasted Malaysian Mango Chicken, but I found this dish extremely sweet.

It was a lot for $8, but mostly disappointing. Service was excellent.

D.
  • Post #36 - December 21st, 2017, 10:39 pm
    Post #36 - December 21st, 2017, 10:39 pm Post #36 - December 21st, 2017, 10:39 pm
    dodger wrote:I went here for lunch today, first time. I asked the hostess to identify which items on the menu were considered Malaysian.

Based on these choices I selected Mango Chicken. It came with hot & sour soup, a spring roll, and rice. The menu indicated it was spicy. I told the waitress that was fine.

The soup was bland mostly liquid. The spring roll filling was thin. I ordered coconut rice, which tasted like rice. I've never have tasted Malaysian Mango Chicken, but I found this dish extremely sweet.

It was a lot for $8, but mostly disappointing. Service was excellent.

D.

I'd say a good rule at Penang is to not ask the waitstaff for recommendations. They will always offer something they think is "safe," no doubt because a fair number of non-Asians have had bad reactions to the authentic food. They argued with me the first couple of times I went -- "oh, you don't want Chinese sausage" -- that sort of thing. Your best bet would be to look over the posts here and order things people have loved. I have friends who just got back from two months in Malaysia, and they adored Penang -- so it's not just folks here who like it. But seriously, never ask them to suggest stuff.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #37 - October 12th, 2021, 8:50 am
    Post #37 - October 12th, 2021, 8:50 am Post #37 - October 12th, 2021, 8:50 am
    Cynthia wrote:I'd say a good rule at Penang is to not ask the waitstaff for recommendations. They will always offer something they think is "safe," no doubt because a fair number of non-Asians have had bad reactions to the authentic food.
    excellent point.

It has been awhile for us and Penang as due to Covid I'm rarely in my office near Penang. Was in the area on Sunday evening and had take out.

Roti Canai
    Beef Rendang
    Hainenese Chicken

Roti & Redang hit the spot for me, so good. I like the Hainenese chicken, just not as much as Mrs Willie. Good to see they still are cranking it out !
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #38 - October 12th, 2021, 11:25 am
    Post #38 - October 12th, 2021, 11:25 am Post #38 - October 12th, 2021, 11:25 am
    I like the roti and beef rendang at Penang so much I have to force myself to order other things sometimes. If I do, I get beef rendang to take home.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #39 - December 2nd, 2021, 7:48 pm
    Post #39 - December 2nd, 2021, 7:48 pm Post #39 - December 2nd, 2021, 7:48 pm
    Yesterday I had lunch at Penang with a friend who originally came from that region/island of Malaysia. He considered it excellent and authentic. I liked everything we had too!

ROTI CANAI - An all time Indian favorite Indian flat bread served with a curry chicken and potato dipping sauce.
    HOKKIEN CHAR MEE - Thick yellow noodles cooked in a heavy flavored soy sauce with shrimp, squid, pork and choy sum.
    CHAR KWAY TEOW - Stir-fried noodles with shrimp, squid,
    bean sprouts and chives with spicy soy sauce.
    KANGKUNG BELACAN - Water convellus stir-fried with spicy shrimp paste.
    PULUT HITAM (dessert made from bean paste and cream)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more