LTH Home

Honey Butter Fried Chicken...Hallelujah and Amen!

Honey Butter Fried Chicken...Hallelujah and Amen!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 5
  • Post #91 - January 6th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    Post #91 - January 6th, 2017, 3:27 pm Post #91 - January 6th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    Gonzo70 wrote:
    shakes wrote:
    tarte tatin wrote:http://chicago.eater.com/2017/1/4/14170532/honey-butter-fried-chicken-chicago-sanctuary-restaurant

Honey Butter Fried Chicken Joins New National Anti-Discriminatory Sanctuary Restaurant Group

huh, who knew hipster millennials were such a discriminated against class?

I go to HBFC quite a bit, the next time I see a muslim or immigrant working there will be the first.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Anyways, aren't all (or at least nearly all) restaurants against "hate and harassment?" This seems to be more a political statement to me than anything of substance and IMHO restaurants and politics is not a good combination.

Yes. More than anything else, it comes off like a PR move even if it is well-intentioned.

Unlike others here, I'm not sure I have the super-ability to spot an immigrant or a muslim on site but I'd very surprised if there weren't at least a few immigrants working in the HBFC kitchen.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #92 - January 6th, 2017, 4:44 pm
    Post #92 - January 6th, 2017, 4:44 pm Post #92 - January 6th, 2017, 4:44 pm
    Gonzo70 wrote:
    shakes wrote:
    tarte tatin wrote:http://chicago.eater.com/2017/1/4/14170532/honey-butter-fried-chicken-chicago-sanctuary-restaurant

Honey Butter Fried Chicken Joins New National Anti-Discriminatory Sanctuary Restaurant Group

I go to HBFC quite a bit, the next time I see a muslim or immigrant working there will be the first.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Anyways, aren't all (or at least nearly all) restaurants against "hate and harassment?" This seems to be more a political statement to me than anything of substance and IMHO restaurants and politics is not a good combination.

You have never worked in a restaurant, have you?
  • Post #93 - January 6th, 2017, 6:14 pm
    Post #93 - January 6th, 2017, 6:14 pm Post #93 - January 6th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Being against hare and harassment is considered a political statement? I thought that was just being a decent human being.
  • Post #94 - January 6th, 2017, 9:02 pm
    Post #94 - January 6th, 2017, 9:02 pm Post #94 - January 6th, 2017, 9:02 pm
    ^^LIKE^^
  • Post #95 - January 6th, 2017, 9:05 pm
    Post #95 - January 6th, 2017, 9:05 pm Post #95 - January 6th, 2017, 9:05 pm
    knitgirl wrote:

Being against hare and harassment is considered a political statement? I thought that was just being a decent human being.

Huh?!? I said that being against hate and harassment is/should be the standard for all restaurants. Yes, it is what all decent human beings and decent businesses strive for. What seemed political to me was the organization HBFC joined. A restaurant shouldn't have to join such an organization to be against hate and harassment.
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #96 - January 6th, 2017, 10:36 pm
    Post #96 - January 6th, 2017, 10:36 pm Post #96 - January 6th, 2017, 10:36 pm
    Gonzo70 wrote:
    knitgirl wrote:

Huh?!? I said that being against hate and harassment is/should be the standard for all restaurants. Yes, it is what all decent human beings and decent businesses strive for. What seemed political to me was the organization HBFC joined. A restaurant shouldn't have to join such an organization to be against hate and harassment.

Don't think anyone "has" to do anything--but as entrepreneurs in this, hopefully, still free country, they're certainly entitled to align themselves with and advocate for any group, cause or belief they like. At least this one is something that most, hopefully, still believe is worthwhile.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #97 - January 6th, 2017, 10:52 pm
    Post #97 - January 6th, 2017, 10:52 pm Post #97 - January 6th, 2017, 10:52 pm
    I just noticed the Tribune Article about this; if you look at the "comments" section at the end you will see several people (most of the comments actually) interpret this organization as a political one and have a negative reaction towards the restaurant because of this. Many of the comments are quite immature and some hateful/disturbing, but it confirms that some (if not many) people view this organization as political. Mixing business with politics can be very treacherous. Again, I am 100% in favor of restaurants protecting their workers and treating them well and am 100% against hate and harassment - I just think there are better ways to promote these values. That said, they and all restaurants absolutely are entitled to align with whoever they want, and while their intentions certainly seem in the right place in this case, such alignment does come with risks as the public is likewise free to frequent whatever businesses they want.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #98 - January 6th, 2017, 11:03 pm
    Post #98 - January 6th, 2017, 11:03 pm Post #98 - January 6th, 2017, 11:03 pm
    Politics is in the air you breathe. There is no mixing of business and politics here or anywhere, really. The two are intertwined.
  • Post #99 - January 6th, 2017, 11:14 pm
    Post #99 - January 6th, 2017, 11:14 pm Post #99 - January 6th, 2017, 11:14 pm
    The trolls who post after Tribune articles don't indicate anything other than the existence of trolls but it's never made much sense to me for businesses to openly mix politics or religion with their business. By doing so, they're almost certain to alienate some percentage of their customer/client base. Yet, plenty of businesses do -- some at their own peril and some in support of their increased success. I think it'd be pretty hard to definitively say that one way would be the right way for all businesses.

As Aaron Burr tells Hamilton, "Don’t let them know what you're against or what you're for."

=R=
  • Post #100 - January 6th, 2017, 11:28 pm
    Post #100 - January 6th, 2017, 11:28 pm Post #100 - January 6th, 2017, 11:28 pm
    knitgirl wrote:Being against hare and harassment is considered a political statement?

I, for one, am pro-rabbit (tasty little critters). [Sorry, couldn't resist.]
  • Post #101 - January 7th, 2017, 12:15 am
    Post #101 - January 7th, 2017, 12:15 am Post #101 - January 7th, 2017, 12:15 am
    Matt wrote:
    knitgirl wrote:Being against hare and harassment is considered a political statement?

I, for one, am pro-rabbit (tasty little critters). [Sorry, couldn't resist.]

Praying to whatever deity has the capacity to make this the last, BEST comment in this discussion.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #102 - January 9th, 2017, 10:15 am
    Post #102 - January 9th, 2017, 10:15 am Post #102 - January 9th, 2017, 10:15 am
    Being against discrimination and in favor of treating your employees well are positions that any business with common sense would/does endorse, feeling the need to join an organization and then make a public announcement that you endorse these common sense principles is nothing more than a self serving publicity stunt in my mind.

Does every other restaurant in town need to have a presser now in order to let us know that they too believe in treating people with dignity and respect?
  • Post #103 - January 9th, 2017, 5:07 pm
    Post #103 - January 9th, 2017, 5:07 pm Post #103 - January 9th, 2017, 5:07 pm
    Being against discrimination and in favor of treating your employees well are positions that any business with common sense would/does endorse, feeling the need to join an organization and then make a public announcement that you endorse these common sense principles is nothing more than a self serving publicity stunt in my mind.

Does every other restaurant in town need to have a presser now in order to let us know that they too believe in treating people with dignity and respect?

No of course not. But there are a lot of groups of people who feel threatened by the current political climate and I don't see anything wrong with affirming one's resistance to that. Also keep in mind that just because it's your truth that businesses do not discriminate and treat their employees well, doesn't mean it's others' truth.

Love,
    John
    It isn't that I'm not full...
  • Post #104 - January 12th, 2017, 1:06 pm
    Post #104 - January 12th, 2017, 1:06 pm Post #104 - January 12th, 2017, 1:06 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:As Aaron Burr tells Hamilton, "Don’t let them know what you're against or what you're for."

And how did that work out for him?

;)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #105 - January 12th, 2017, 1:10 pm
    Post #105 - January 12th, 2017, 1:10 pm Post #105 - January 12th, 2017, 1:10 pm
    leek wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:As Aaron Burr tells Hamilton, "Don’t let them know what you're against or what you're for."

And how did that work out for him?

;)

Better than for Hamilton, I'd say. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #106 - January 14th, 2017, 11:07 pm
    Post #106 - January 14th, 2017, 11:07 pm Post #106 - January 14th, 2017, 11:07 pm
    Anyone been lately? Oh, okay. Well, I went yesterday with the hope of getting this thread back on track. The incredibly diverse staff was warm and welcoming. Equally important to me, is that the clientele was a mixed bag: black, white, brown, asian, gay, straight. You could do much worse in terms of taking a political stance as an establishment- like that other fried chicken place that markets itself as "socially conscious", and then unapologetically blasts misogynistic rap (bitch, hoe, trick, demoralizing sex acts, etc). I get it- art for art's sake, poetic license, blah blah blah; just be consistent as a business.

Aaaaaannnnnyyyway, I really like the dry to the touch fry on the chicken at HBFC. Crispy, clean, juicy on the inside. The slaw and mashed potatoes were okay, but the mac and cheese was killer. It's a dryer style of mac without the grittiness, and with more spices. The ranch seasoned wings were also tasty, but I found myself drenching it in hot suace. I'll try the traditional style next time- or just go to Toons or Bird's Nest to scratch that itch.

Drumstick shots from the four piece:
    IMG_2243.JPG
    IMG_2242.JPG
    "We eat slowly and with gusto." - Paul Bäumer in AQOTWF
  • Post #107 - January 15th, 2017, 12:09 am
    Post #107 - January 15th, 2017, 12:09 am Post #107 - January 15th, 2017, 12:09 am
    Sweetbread wrote:Drumstick shots from the four piece:

And a little nugget! :D

=R=
  • Post #108 - January 16th, 2017, 5:21 pm
    Post #108 - January 16th, 2017, 5:21 pm Post #108 - January 16th, 2017, 5:21 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Sweetbread wrote:Drumstick shots from the four piece:

And a little nugget! :D

=R=

Rimshot with drumstick.
  • Post #109 - August 11th, 2021, 9:41 am
    Post #109 - August 11th, 2021, 9:41 am Post #109 - August 11th, 2021, 9:41 am
    HBFC has started a delivery service in partnership with All Day Kitchens which dramatically increases coverage around the city and suburbs. We had piping hot fresh fried sandwiches and strips in Oak Park yesterday with signature sweet tea slaw, honey buffalo sauce, and uber-tangy pimento cheese mac. The menu is more limited but does still include their hefty bread pudding french toast-and-chicken for kids, $14 but splittable. At least at the moment it's a DoorDash exclusive (DoorDash login through Caviar does not work).

It's nice to have a (seemingly) no-preservative fresh fried chicken option in the mix even at a premium, though the local bird / thigh approach can make for some stringier and gamier morsels than the fast food palate is attuned.
  • Post #110 - May 25th, 2023, 5:41 am
    Post #110 - May 25th, 2023, 5:41 am Post #110 - May 25th, 2023, 5:41 am
    Hot Doug’s Will Unretire to Celebrate 10 Years of Honey Butter Fried Chicken

https://chicago.eater.com/2023/5/24/237 ... -doug-sohn
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #111 - June 12th, 2023, 2:08 pm
    Post #111 - June 12th, 2023, 2:08 pm Post #111 - June 12th, 2023, 2:08 pm
    The duo behind Avondale’s popular fried chicken restaurant, which grew out of an underground pop-up dinner series that debuted in 2005, is opening in suburban Glencoe.

https://chicago.eater.com/2023/6/12/237 ... re-chicago
  • Post #112 - June 21st, 2023, 10:22 am
    Post #112 - June 21st, 2023, 10:22 am Post #112 - June 21st, 2023, 10:22 am
    as someone who was a customer of HBFC from the day they opened until the day I moved to Deerfield 3 years ago this has me very happy.

But, I can't even begin to imagine the lines that will form when this place opens up.

Might have to wait a few months to let it die down a bit before giving the new spot a try.

Now I just need JT's Genuine Sandwich, Kabobi, and San Juanito Taqueria to open up here in Deerfield and I'm back in business!
  • Post #113 - January 16th, 2024, 2:33 pm
    Post #113 - January 16th, 2024, 2:33 pm Post #113 - January 16th, 2024, 2:33 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    The duo behind Avondale’s popular fried chicken restaurant, which grew out of an underground pop-up dinner series that debuted in 2005, is opening in suburban Glencoe.

https://chicago.eater.com/2023/6/12/237 ... re-chicago

Honey Butter Fried Chicken Glencoe Is Open

https://chicago.eater.com/2024/1/16/240 ... orth-shore
  • Post #114 - January 26th, 2024, 12:20 pm
    Post #114 - January 26th, 2024, 12:20 pm Post #114 - January 26th, 2024, 12:20 pm
    Carried out lunch from the newly opened Glencoe store yesterday. A bit on the pricey side -- $37 for 8 pieces (w/mini biscuits) -- but in the same ballpark as longtime Glencoe stalwart, Little Red Hen, where an 8-piece dinner (slaw, fries, rolls) will set you back $40. As my brother put it, "if you can't afford the chicken, you'd better steer clear of Glencoe" lol. I have no idea what places like Evanston Chicken Shack, Popeye's or KFC charge these days. Our entire order, which also included 2 sandwiches and 2 sides, came to around $85 with tax.

I don't think I'll ever be a huge fan of the boneless breasts and thighs HBFC serves but they're fine and tasty enough. But one thing I find curious is that their sandwiches are made with fried chicken strips (or tofu). With boneless breasts and thighs being the coin of their realm, why not use those on the sandwiches, or least offer them as options? They'd be a perfect fit -- tastier and less likely to squeeze out from the bun when being eaten.

With this shop much closer to home, I can see hitting it on occasion. I'm not likely to go out of my way for it, but nice to know it's there when I'm nearby. One could do worse.

=R=
  • Post #115 - January 26th, 2024, 7:02 pm
    Post #115 - January 26th, 2024, 7:02 pm Post #115 - January 26th, 2024, 7:02 pm
    Originally, their chicken sandwich was dark meat. Even their chicken strips were dark meat. Being white meat eater, I called to check. Then come an option to sub a chicken breast filet. One day I checked the menu online and lo and behold! White meat strips rule! I can only surmise that customers want them.
  • Post #116 - January 26th, 2024, 8:07 pm
    Post #116 - January 26th, 2024, 8:07 pm Post #116 - January 26th, 2024, 8:07 pm
    Jamie wrote:Originally, their chicken sandwich was dark meat. Even their chicken strips were dark meat. Being white meat eater, I called to check. Then come an option to sub a chicken breast filet. One day I checked the menu online and lo and behold! White meat strips rule! I can only surmise that customers want them.

What a shame. :cry: As long as they're serving boneless thighs anyway, they might as well offer them on a sandwich. White meat's a drag.

=R=
  • Post #117 - January 26th, 2024, 9:05 pm
    Post #117 - January 26th, 2024, 9:05 pm Post #117 - January 26th, 2024, 9:05 pm
    To each their own. I find thighs greasy and inedible.
  • Post #118 - January 26th, 2024, 9:25 pm
    Post #118 - January 26th, 2024, 9:25 pm Post #118 - January 26th, 2024, 9:25 pm
    Jamie wrote:To each their own. I find thighs greasy and inedible.

Not really arguing the merits of personal preference. Just find it curious -- and a missed opportunity -- that boneless thighs/breasts, which are sold in the restaurant, are not offered on their sandwiches.

=R=
  • Post #119 - January 26th, 2024, 9:29 pm
    Post #119 - January 26th, 2024, 9:29 pm Post #119 - January 26th, 2024, 9:29 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: A bit on the pricey side -- $37 for 8 pieces (w/mini biscuits) ... I have no idea what places like Evanston Chicken Shack, Popeye's or KFC charge these days.

With a coupon that comes in the mail here frequently, $8.99 for 8 pieces at Popeye's on Wednesdays, plus 5 biscuits and 1 large side for $5 more. A few dollars more other days of the week.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #120 - January 26th, 2024, 9:43 pm
    Post #120 - January 26th, 2024, 9:43 pm Post #120 - January 26th, 2024, 9:43 pm
    I can see how you'd get more crispiness in a sandwich made of fried chicken strips, which some people might prefer, but I too would prefer a sandwich made with one whole boneless fried thigh.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more