LTH Home

Analogue

Analogue
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 4
  • Analogue

Post #1 - December 20th, 2013, 3:44 pm
    Post #1 - December 20th, 2013, 3:44 pm Post #1 - December 20th, 2013, 3:44 pm
    Checked out Analogue last night. Wasn't too hard to get in right when it opened and we were eager to avoid the dance floor, which opens at 9, because we are no fun.

I was eager to try the Purls, a bitter beer cocktail. I had both the #1 (blackberry) and #2 (strawberry) and they were indeed quite bitter, but it was hard to detect the other flavors in them, particularly in the #1. The #2 was far more balanced and you could get hints of the strawberry and allspice.

I loved the fried chicken sandwich. Out of Chicago's boneless fried chicken options, Analogue's is the clear winner. The breading is perfect. If they made their biscuits bigger and put the fried chicken on that...well, that would be even better. The stuffed mirliton squash was a delicious savory surprise. A few items I wasn't crazy about, like the less than flavorful dirty rice and muted gumbo. Unfortunately it was too dark to take pictures. It was dark to the point I had trouble reading the menu.

Analogue
    2523 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago 60647
  • Post #2 - January 26th, 2014, 10:35 am
    Post #2 - January 26th, 2014, 10:35 am Post #2 - January 26th, 2014, 10:35 am
    Full disclosure: I'm buds with the chef and other staff here.

We finally made it here the other night. All in all, we were pretty impressed, especially food wise.
    I'm not much a cocktail fan and the one I tried– the Strike Anywhere, was a sweet-skewing Vermouth-y take on a Manhattan. Not to my taste. No matter, they have a short, but interesting beer menu and a cool selection of sparkling wines.

On to the food. Across the board everything we ate was delicious. The headcheese was nicely smoky, texturally diverse with gelatinous bits. I like the nod to low brow authenticity with the Zesta saltine basket, which became a vehicle for their excellent house hot sauce for some unnecessary between-course snacks.

mgmcewen wrote: I loved the fried chicken sandwich. Out of Chicago's boneless fried chicken options, Analogue's is the clear winner. The breading is perfect. If they made their biscuits bigger and put the fried chicken on that...well, that would be even better. The stuffed mirliton squash was a delicious savory surprise. A few items I wasn't crazy about, like the less than flavorful dirty rice and muted gumbo.

Agreed entirely on the chicken sandwich– a juicy piece of bird with a delectable crunch. Loved the toppings too with the slaw, pickles, and hot sauce. I like chicken on a biscuit, but it a'int a sentimentality thing for this northern lad. The buttery toast on this sandwich, I thought, was a perfectly sturdy substrate for the juicy elements and thick cut of chicken. Its all crunch and thats not a bad thing.

Disagreed on the gumbo. While it was not a roux-forward version, not so thick and without that pronounced caramel note (unlike say the version at Big Jones, which, to me, tastes almost entirely of dark roux), the stock that its built on held its own entirely, so rich and so savory. It was very hearty in the chunk department with nice shreds of not-overly-stewed chicken and andouille both cooked in and employed as a garnish in crisped up form. I even dug the potato salad, which I know is a thing, but have always presumed an unorthodox combo. It had a nice cooling, creamy effect as it melded into the bowl and I swear it was studded with some sort of smoked pork.

We also had some very crispy fries, fried dark and hard. Good stuff.

To gild the lily, the kitchen sent out their bread pudding and talk about gilded lilies– the pudding would have been awesome on its own, rich and creamy with caramelized crunchy bits around its edges. Might as well drizzle chocolate all over that, top with whipped cream, sprinkle with toffee, and plop a donut hole in center of the damned thing. Unnecessary, perhaps, but there was something very down-south feeling about its over-indulgence.

A sleek hip bar, I didn't miss the faux-backwoods nostalgia of many a new hip cocktail bar. No "dream of the 1890's" going on either– not a vest or waxed mustache in the sight.

What will pull me back is the cooking– unpretentious and downright down home.
  • Post #3 - February 7th, 2014, 3:22 pm
    Post #3 - February 7th, 2014, 3:22 pm Post #3 - February 7th, 2014, 3:22 pm
    I think it's interesting that this thread is here in EOiC rather than something to drink. After all, Analogue is a fine new(ish) bar from 2 veterans of The Violet Hour -- Hank Prendergast and Robbie Haynes -- but on my first visit, it was chef Alfredo Nogueira's food that truly riveted me.

First, these are, by a wide margin, the best Biscuits I've ever had in Chicago. I could not believe their perfect texture -- crusty on the outside and flakey on the inside. Their flavor was fantastic, with a beautiful tangyness and an intoxicating aroma. They're served with pepper jelly and Steen's Cane syrup butter. Awesome stuff!

We had a few other dishes, too. Chicken (Gunthorp) & Andouille (house-made) Gumbo (sent out for us by the kitchen), which I thought was flavorful and skillfully executed, really satisfied. The pieces of meat were large and perfectly cooked. I loved finding a dollup of potato salad right in the center of the bowl. It really worked and I'd never had it served that way before, even though I'd read a bit about it.

The Scott, Louisiana Egg was another winner. Again, moist and flavorful house-made sausage, this time boudin, is the star of the show but that egg was cooked perfectly, with a gorgeous runny yolk. The Smoked Fish Dip really hit the spot. I loved the pronounced smokiness and overall flavor of the dip. Keeping simple by serving it with saltines and hot sauce was sensible and clever in its own way.

3 different sandwiches were all great -- and items I'd order again. My favorite was the Cochon De Lait Po Boy. It immediately took me back to when I used to live in New Orleans. The perfectly light and crusty bread, the combination of ingredients and rich, medley of flavors all rang true. But more importantly, it was utterly delicious. I loved the unctuous roasted Slagel pork. Speaking of delicious, so too was the Chaurice Dog. House-made chaurice took this dog, complete with red beans, chow chow and and Louisiana hot sauce to a whole new level. I really enjoyed the Fried Chicken Sandwich. I thought it was better than the one I had at Husk a couple of years back. Tender, crunchy crust, moist meat, perfectly toasted bread and a great combination of condiments (crunchy slaw, LA mayo, house pickles).

I enjoyed the cocktails, too, though most of the ones I tried were a bit on the sweet side. My favorite was the Old Fashioned (not sweet), which was the Shot of the Day. I asked if it could be served as a cocktail and our bartender Casey (sp?) said no problem. I also enjoyed the End of the Century (rum, lime, house cacao, Gaslight coffee).

Really looking forward to going back. There were several more items on the menu that looked great and the place has got a great atmosphere. I look forward to seeing how food and beverage menu develop and evolve over time.

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #4 - February 7th, 2014, 7:26 pm
    Post #4 - February 7th, 2014, 7:26 pm Post #4 - February 7th, 2014, 7:26 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I think it's interesting that this thread is here in EOiC rather than something to drink. After all, Analogue is a fine new(ish) bar from 2 veterans of The Violet Hour -- Hank Prendergast and Robbie Haynes -- but on my first visit, it was chef Alfredo Nogueira's food that truly riveted me.

I agree. The bar program is fantastic, but it's the food I think about most. I did a piece about Analogue for Chicagoist
    http://chicagoist.com/2014/02/06/a_dial ... r_drin.php
  • Post #5 - March 8th, 2014, 11:35 pm
    Post #5 - March 8th, 2014, 11:35 pm Post #5 - March 8th, 2014, 11:35 pm
    Stung by a 1 hour, 45 minute quoted wait time at Fat Rice tonight right at the opening bell, a few of us decided to instead check out Analogue. No offense Fat Rice, but thank you for your assistance! As excited as I was when I first tried Fat Rice, I think I might have been even more excited this evening at Analogue. I hardly know how to express my excitement with Analogue but food, cocktails and service all blew me away and I suppose I'll restate a lot of what Ronnie says above.

We arrived right when it opened at 6, were warmly welcomed and decided to sit at the bar. FYI, there are also several tables along the wall, and a few high tops in front. We proceeded to eat our way through much of the menu.

First, the biscuits. Warm, flaky, delicious, and served with Steen's cane syrup butter and a hot pepper jelly. The biscuits are great on their own, but I couldn't ignore the hot pepper jelly which delivered a nice, hot little sting. The butter was perfectly fine too, but I just didn't need it. Best biscuits? Not for me (still Bang Bang and Acadia) but who cares. They're terrific.

The smoked fish dip was served in a ball with saltines and hot sauce on the side. I probably should have tried the dip with the hot sauce, but the fish dip was so fantastic on its own I just didn't mix them. I'm not sure I've ever had a better smoked fish dip.

The Scott, Louisiana egg was another stunner to me. Yes, the exterior was nice and crisp. Yes, the boudin (house-made by the way) was terrific. But then the perfectly cooked egg, the mustard and just the combination of flavors left me speechless. This might have been the best scotch egg I've tried.

I've had a number of gumbos in Chicago that are acceptable. Occasionally, I've enjoyed the gumbo at Big Jones but it really has never rocked my world. Personally, I've always preferred my own and take great pride in annually ordering my andouille and tasso from Wayne Jacob's in LaPlace, La. Well folks, this is some damn fine gumbo with one hell of a roux there to tickle your taste buds. But here's the kicker: the chef, Alfredo, mentioned that he spent a little time at Wayne Jacob's paying attention to their smoking techniques and makes his own andouille for Analogue's gumbo. Once you taste the gumbo and the andouille, you'll realize that Alfredo knows more than a thing or two about andouille and gumbo. Oh, and the potato salad: not something I've ever tried and I'll admit I had never heard of this addition, but it worked.

And sorry, but the hits just kept on coming. The cochon de lait po-boy was pretty spectacular too. The pork was almost like pork candy, but not in a sweet way - some parts crisp, all parts juicy and full of pork richness, and then a perfectly crusty yet soft roll. I'll usually dab a little hot sauce on my po-boys but there was no way I was going to screw with this forumula. No way.

And how did I go this long without talking about the dirty rice. You could smell the rich offal flavors the instant this was placed in front of us. It was also incredibly difficult to stop eating this. My dining companions compared the mixture to a great Thai larb, and I could definitely see that - just missing the Thai herbs, but it was every bit as good. Dirty rice has never, ever tasted this good. In my opinion, a must order.

Also quite impressive was the chaurice dog. It's served on a soft, buttered lobster roll bun and accentuated with some rich red beans and tart chow chow, but it was the moist, snappy and delicious house-made chaurice that really thrilled me.

Finally, the fried chicken sandwich. It's hard to take issue which a flavorful, crispy, moist chicken sandwich. But my small criticisms would be that I would have preferred the more flavorful thigh meat, and I thought the chicken was just slightly lost in the slaw and pickles. But hey, I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

We shared a bread pudding for dessert and while not one of my favorite bread puddings, it was still very good. I just prefer a slightly moister, denser bread pudding.

I also had a couple of cocktails (and tried a few others) and was very impressed on that front too. I loved my Pressure Drop, which featured Banks 5 Island Rum, lime, banana falernum, pineapple and mint - a restrained, interesting and delicious tiki-like drink. Unfortunately, I can't recall all details of my other cocktail (which I also enjoyed quite a bit), though I know it contained gin and grapefruit.

As I mentioned, service throughout the night was great. Everyone who we came in contact with and who helped us was friendly, considerate and helpful. One small note in this regard: when the gumbo was brought out, they also gave us three small bowls so that we could share the gumbo, and we didn't even need to ask for them. We left Analogue at about 7:45, by which time it had completely filled up and there may have even been a couple of people waiting for a table. I would imagine it's not very long before the wait times start growing significantly. This place is just that good.
  • Post #6 - March 9th, 2014, 12:19 am
    Post #6 - March 9th, 2014, 12:19 am Post #6 - March 9th, 2014, 12:19 am
    BR wrote:Stung by a 1 hour, 45 minute quoted wait time at Fat Rice tonight right at the opening bell, a few of us decided to instead check out Analogue. No offense Fat Rice, but thank you for your assistance! As excited as I was when I first tried Fat Rice, I think I might have been even more excited this evening at Analogue. I hardly know how to express my excitement with Analogue but food, cocktails and service all blew me away and I suppose I'll restate a lot of what Ronnie says above.

We arrived right when it opened at 6, were warmly welcomed and decided to sit at the bar. FYI, there are also several tables along the wall, and a few high tops in front. We proceeded to eat our way through much of the menu.

First, the biscuits. Warm, flaky, delicious, and served with Steen's cane syrup butter and a hot pepper jelly. The biscuits are great on their own, but I couldn't ignore the hot pepper jelly which delivered a nice, hot little sting. The butter was perfectly fine too, but I just didn't need it. Best biscuits? Not for me (still Bang Bang and Acadia) but who cares. They're terrific.

The smoked fish dip was served in a ball with saltines and hot sauce on the side. I probably should have tried the dip with the hot sauce, but the fish dip was so fantastic on its own I just didn't mix them. I'm not sure I've ever had a better smoked fish dip.

The Scott, Louisiana egg was another stunner to me. Yes, the exterior was nice and crisp. Yes, the boudin (house-made by the way) was terrific. But then the perfectly cooked egg, the mustard and just the combination of flavors left me speechless. This might have been the best scotch egg I've tried.

I've had a number of gumbos in Chicago that are acceptable. Occasionally, I've enjoyed the gumbo at Big Jones but it really has never rocked my world. Personally, I've always preferred my own and take great pride in annually ordering my andouille and tasso from Wayne Jacob's in LaPlace, La. Well folks, this is some damn fine gumbo with one hell of a roux there to tickle your taste buds. But here's the kicker: the chef, Alfredo, mentioned that he spent a little time at Wayne Jacob's paying attention to their smoking techniques and makes his own andouille for Analogue's gumbo. Once you taste the gumbo and the andouille, you'll realize that Alfredo knows more than a thing or two about andouille and gumbo. Oh, and the potato salad: not something I've ever tried and I'll admit I had never heard of this addition, but it worked.

And sorry, but the hits just kept on coming. The cochon de lait po-boy was pretty spectacular too. The pork was almost like pork candy, but not in a sweet way - some parts crisp, all parts juicy and full of pork richness, and then a perfectly crusty yet soft roll. I'll usually dab a little hot sauce on my po-boys but there was no way I was going to screw with this forumula. No way.

And how did I go this long without talking about the dirty rice. You could smell the rich offal flavors the instant this was placed in front of us. It was also incredibly difficult to stop eating this. My dining companions compared the mixture to a great Thai larb, and I could definitely see that - just missing the Thai herbs, but it was every bit as good. Dirty rice has never, ever tasted this good. In my opinion, a must order.

Also quite impressive was the chaurice dog. It's served on a soft, buttered lobster roll bun and accentuated with some rich red beans and tart chow chow, but it was the moist, snappy and delicious house-made chaurice that really thrilled me.

Finally, the fried chicken sandwich. It's hard to take issue which a flavorful, crispy, moist chicken sandwich. But my small criticisms would be that I would have preferred the more flavorful thigh meat, and I thought the chicken was just slightly lost in the slaw and pickles. But hey, I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

We shared a bread pudding for dessert and while not one of my favorite bread puddings, it was still very good. I just prefer a slightly moister, denser bread pudding.

I also had a couple of cocktails (and tried a few others) and was very impressed on that front too. I loved my Pressure Drop, which featured Banks 5 Island Rum, lime, banana falernum, pineapple and mint - a restrained, interesting and delicious tiki-like drink. Unfortunately, I can't recall all details of my other cocktail (which I also enjoyed quite a bit), though I know it contained gin and grapefruit.

As I mentioned, service throughout the night was great. Everyone who we came in contact with and who helped us was friendly, considerate and helpful. One small note in this regard: when the gumbo was brought out, they also gave us three small bowls so that we could share the gumbo, and we didn't even need to ask for them. We left Analogue at about 7:45, by which time it had completely filled up and there may have even been a couple of people waiting for a table. I would imagine it's not very long before the wait times start growing significantly. This place is just that good.

Glad you liked it, Brad. But you're wrong about the biscuits! :P

After now having eaten here 4 times, I have to say that if you don't make a priority out of eating here, you're fucking crazy. And the newly updated cocktail menu is fan-frigging-tastic. Go here. Soon (but they're closed Tuesdays). Go. I mean it. Go.

=R=

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

• Post #7 - March 9th, 2014, 10:42 am
    Post #7 - March 9th, 2014, 10:42 am Post #7 - March 9th, 2014, 10:42 am
    Add another fan to the Analogue bandwagon :)

I was a participant in last night's food frenzy and was just as thrilled as BR. I was bummed about a prohibitive Fat Rice wait and wasn't sure what else I might be in the mood for. When Analogue was suggested, I was only mildly enthusiastic about it. Earlier in the week I attended a VERY delicious Thai pop-up dinner that one of the Analogue sous-chefs put on to raise $$ and do some menu testing for a food truck venture he is soon to launch in Austin TX, so I'd just been there. AND I have to confess that I have yet to taste NOLA-style food in Chicago that I thought was really good. There, I said it. I'll name no names but I've yet to be thrilled or taken back to my years living there by anything.

But Analogue is the shit. Drinks--excellent. I tried two and would happily order both again. Sorry for no names but the menu isn't posted yet. One was Rye, Campari, Bitters--can't recall the other. Both balanced and bitter-forward.

But you can get great drinks at lots of places--it's the combo of drinks and GREAT food that distinguishes Analogue. Chef Alfredo Nogueira is one to watch. Brad's descriptions are perfect so I won't re-hash them but, suffice it to say, I could eat that smoked fish spread studded with pickles (with a GREAT homemade LA hot sauce), dirty (funky filthy actually :) ) rice and cochon du lait po'boy regularly. And everything I didn't mention as well.

Can't wait to return. Love that our "hipster" and "hyped" places often really bring the goods. We're very lucky.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #8 - March 26th, 2014, 11:20 am
    Post #8 - March 26th, 2014, 11:20 am Post #8 - March 26th, 2014, 11:20 am
    Can anyone confirm if Analogue is cash only? Their website says it is, but no one here has mentioned it.
    -Mary
  • Post #9 - March 26th, 2014, 11:22 am
    Post #9 - March 26th, 2014, 11:22 am Post #9 - March 26th, 2014, 11:22 am
    The GP wrote:Can anyone confirm if Analogue is cash only? Their website says it is, but no one here has mentioned it.

It was when we were there.
  • Post #10 - March 26th, 2014, 11:45 am
    Post #10 - March 26th, 2014, 11:45 am Post #10 - March 26th, 2014, 11:45 am
    BR wrote:
    The GP wrote:Can anyone confirm if Analogue is cash only? Their website says it is, but no one here has mentioned it.

It was when we were there.

Ditto.

=R=

• Post #11 - March 26th, 2014, 11:56 am
    Post #11 - March 26th, 2014, 11:56 am Post #11 - March 26th, 2014, 11:56 am
    Good to know to hit the cash station before going. Thanks!
    -Mary
  • Post #12 - March 26th, 2014, 11:57 am
    Post #12 - March 26th, 2014, 11:57 am Post #12 - March 26th, 2014, 11:57 am
    I think they have an ATM, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #13 - March 26th, 2014, 12:04 pm
    Post #13 - March 26th, 2014, 12:04 pm Post #13 - March 26th, 2014, 12:04 pm
    I actually was able to pay dinner by card when I was there last Thursday. There is also an ATM by the door.
  • Post #14 - March 26th, 2014, 12:10 pm
    Post #14 - March 26th, 2014, 12:10 pm Post #14 - March 26th, 2014, 12:10 pm
    Just announced today on FB--they are now taking credit cards.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #15 - March 26th, 2014, 12:27 pm
    Post #15 - March 26th, 2014, 12:27 pm Post #15 - March 26th, 2014, 12:27 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Just announced today on FB--they are now taking credit cards.

Ha - just saw that on Twitter . . . what timing!
  • Post #16 - March 31st, 2014, 1:31 pm
    Post #16 - March 31st, 2014, 1:31 pm Post #16 - March 31st, 2014, 1:31 pm
    We made it to Analogue last week. Arriving at 6 PM gave us the pick of tables. We started at a high-top, but decided to move to the corner table along the wall to have more room. Good choice as we ate family style and needed room for plates and drinks. I started with the Dandy in the Underworld (Ransom Old Tom Gin, Cocchi Americano, Maraska Maraschino, Dandelion Root) which hit the spot. Mr. X had the Trigger/Happy (Very Old Barton, Lemon, Cherry Demerara, Kola bitters), which he liked a lot. Our friend also enjoyed her drink, but I don't remember what she had. (I had a taste of it too.)

For food, we shared biscuits, gumbo, smoked fish dip, the egg, a green salad, the chicken sandwich and a side of potatoes and gravy. Those biscuits were incredible. A great start to our meal. Probably the least liked dish for us was the Louisiana Scott egg. It was well-prepared but the funk of the Boudin was too much for us. (That's why we skipped the dirty rice and had the mashed potatoes instead.) I really enjoyed the salad -- the greens were fresh and the whole dish was a nice counterbalance to the other food.

My dining companions moved to wine/beer while I went back to the cocktail menu. I had the Death or Glory (Old Forester Bonded Bourbon, Demerara, Great Divide Yeti Stout, Cayenne Pepper, whole egg). This was practically a dessert drink -- tasted like a root beer and was thick. I finished the night with the #2 Purl (strawberry, allspice, quassia). My palate was probably done by that point as I couldn't really distinguish the flavors, but it was a good way to conclude.

I can see why fellow LTHers are so positive about Analogue. Good eats, good drinks. I'll add it to my Logan Square list.
    -Mary
  • Post #17 - March 31st, 2014, 5:24 pm
    Post #17 - March 31st, 2014, 5:24 pm Post #17 - March 31st, 2014, 5:24 pm
    The GP wrote:WProbably the least liked dish for us was the Louisiana Scott egg. It was well-prepared but the funk of the Boudin was too much for us. (That's why we skipped the dirty rice and had the mashed potatoes instead.) I really enjoyed the salad -- the greens were fresh and the whole dish was a nice counterbalance to the other food.

Interesting difference between our palates/preferences because for me, that dirty rice dish has completely entranced me. I'm totally obsessed with it and it's probably the single best thing I've eaten 2014. Funky, rich and herbaceous. I had it last time I was there (when I ran into you) and was pissed I had to share it with my companions. I wished I'd ordered 1 for myself and stuffed another order into my pocket! :lol:

But yes, those greens are great, too. I've had them a couple of times and they're outstanding. It's a great foil for the richness of some of the other dishes. The Scott, LA Egg, with its runny yolk, is the stuff of legends. The food at Analogue is nothing short of stunning.

=R=

• Post #18 - March 31st, 2014, 8:59 pm
    Post #18 - March 31st, 2014, 8:59 pm Post #18 - March 31st, 2014, 8:59 pm
    Very much enjoyed an early dinner here the other night. We were some of the first people in and the place was pretty much full about 40 minutes later. Started off with the gumbo. While it was very good for Chicago it didnt wow me. Served with a thinner consistency ala New Orleans style there was plenty of large chunks of dark meat but the single half dollar size slice of andouille didn't do it for me. The regional substitution of potato salad instead of rice did, but again, there was like two tablespoons. The roux was had a nice dark shade but wasn't as potent as I'd of hoped. I probably sound more critical than I mean to be because the whole bowl was still consumed within five minutes start to finish.

House Gumbo

To go with the bowl of gumbo we got a cochon de lait po boy as well as the days special of a country fried pork steak and also an order of dirty rice as well as the mashed potatoes to go with them. The sides came out about ten minutes before the entrees so that was kind of annoying as they were meant to be enjoyed with each other, specifically the mashed potatoes and country fried steak. We did wait but they cooled down to room temp while doing so. In the future this can easily be fixed so no big deal for me, I'm sure they're continuing to get their groove in full throttle. Dirty rice was undoubtedly great and indeed dirty, meaning made with chopped livers and giblets and I believe some pork sausage is in there as well. So good I got an order to go. The Po Boy was primo and the country fried steak was as good of a fried piece of meat as I've had in my recent memory. This will be in my rotation for sure, I look forward to more of the nightly specials as the options for a good one are endless.

Country Fried Pork Steak

Analogue
    2523 N Milwaukee Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 904-8567
  • Post #19 - March 31st, 2014, 9:07 pm
    Post #19 - March 31st, 2014, 9:07 pm Post #19 - March 31st, 2014, 9:07 pm
    Good seeing you Beef! My dining companion did dirty rice togo as well. She was also a first timer so I didn't try anything new food wise. But was happy to find everything completely consistent with my first meal. Probably didn't need that shot of Malort-not-Malort though...
  • Post #20 - April 12th, 2014, 1:08 pm
    Post #20 - April 12th, 2014, 1:08 pm Post #20 - April 12th, 2014, 1:08 pm
    I gave the dirty rice another try and it was really really good– spicy, earthy with offal, and nicely fatty. Much better than the first time I tried it.
  • Post #21 - April 14th, 2014, 3:28 pm
    Post #21 - April 14th, 2014, 3:28 pm Post #21 - April 14th, 2014, 3:28 pm
    Put the dirty rice IN the gumbo. This turns the thin broth into a virtue and creates something more than the sum of its parts. I really liked everything I had here the other night with our party of 4. Biscuits were probably the best I've had in Chicago, but the charcuterie plate was the top thing at the table. House tasso, whipped lardo, boudin fritters and deviled eggs were all perfect. Service was great. I thought the food and vibe were really in synch with some of the newer, better places I've tried in NOLA recently. (I skipped the chicken sandwich only because I earlier visited the new Roost storefront for yardbird fried to order and dropped on another great scratch biscuit.) Post-Analogue, we walked up the street and did it again at Billy Sunday, which is a cool room with a terrific staff. The food and cocktails, while very good, were not up to the magic happening at Analogue that warm night. The boozy soda of the evening was a clunker, but the maitre d' swapped it without fuss for a refreshing rhum agricole drink, Snakes on a Flag. The supper club-inspired relish tray had lots of good stuff, particularly the house pickle assortment.

With 3 hour waits at Longman, it felt like stealing to stroll into both of these spots and sit down. What a ridiculously good place to drink and eat (cheaply!) Logan Square is at this moment in time. I was lobbying for a few more stops further south, but was vetoed.
  • Post #22 - April 14th, 2014, 5:09 pm
    Post #22 - April 14th, 2014, 5:09 pm Post #22 - April 14th, 2014, 5:09 pm
    Can we all at least agree that the space sucks?
  • Post #23 - April 14th, 2014, 11:22 pm
    Post #23 - April 14th, 2014, 11:22 pm Post #23 - April 14th, 2014, 11:22 pm
    disagree wrote:Can we all at least agree that the space sucks?

There's irony in a request to all agree from someone named "disagree". :lol:
  • Post #24 - April 14th, 2014, 11:36 pm
    Post #24 - April 14th, 2014, 11:36 pm Post #24 - April 14th, 2014, 11:36 pm
    No longer cash only.
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."
  • Post #25 - April 15th, 2014, 4:54 pm
    Post #25 - April 15th, 2014, 4:54 pm Post #25 - April 15th, 2014, 4:54 pm
    We had a very good first experience at Analogue last night. Finding the storefront was a bit tricky, as each of us walked past separately upon arrival, before noticing the entry vestibule and patrons inside (the windows are tinted and difficult to see through from the exterior). It was early so space was not at a premium, but we opted for the cocktail table seating in the "dance space" with a view of the April snowfall (#!$) upon Milwaukee Ave.

Thanks to all who have already posted a review as it was helpful in making our menu decisions. We both started with a Trigger/Happy which was a sweeter take on a tasty bourbon cocktail, complete with a full orange wedge garnish covering the top layer. Later we moved on to the Dandy in the Underworld and even though I'm not as much of a gin fan, like the drinks at Scofflaw and the frozen Negroni at Parson's, this was a solid drink.

As for the meal itself, the biscuits we started off with were exceptional. Flaky, melt in your mouth type with a fantastic peppery jelly providing a great sweet and spicy combination. I wish there were more than three biscuits in an order! We also shared the smoked fish dip which was a home run. I assume the contents of the unmarked bottle of Louisiana hot sauce are homemade? Next we shared a bowl of the gumbo and this was one of the best I've enjoyed outside of New Orleans. I particularly liked the flavorful roux, shredded chicken and andouille, and the potato salad was also an interesting, rich component. Our final shared item was the fried chicken sandwich served on toasted bread. This is a well-dressed sandwich and my half portion was more than sufficient as a final course.

Next time I would like to try the cochon de lait po boy, chaurice dog and dirty rice. Although I may need a break from Cajun/Creole cusine after my trip to New Orleans next week. And as it has already been mentioned, Analogue now accepts credit cards.

P.S.: the hand signs serving as the menu title gave as an opportunity to practice our sign language skills!
  • Post #26 - April 23rd, 2014, 6:10 pm
    Post #26 - April 23rd, 2014, 6:10 pm Post #26 - April 23rd, 2014, 6:10 pm
    I visited Analogue last night for a pre-Bulls game dinner. Note again that they are now open on Tuesdays and they offer a fried chicken special on Tuesdays. But after a long day at work, I really needed to start with a cocktail (or three). The Pressure Drop is one of my favorite cocktails in town. The Trigger Happy was excellent too.

To start the food portion of the evening, I had the gumbo again. It was a little thinner than the first time I had it, but I thought the flavor was terrific. Perhaps a tad less andouille than on my first visit, but I still think this is the best gumbo I've had in Chicago. There's just so much flavor lurking in that bowl.

Now, don't blame me if you visit on Tuesday and they run out of fried chicken. I got the sense from our server that they have very limited quantities so plan ahead an arrive early. We were there between 6:30 and 6:45 and had no issue. But this was the best fried chicken I've had in Chicago, and at $11 for the chicken dinner special, an absolute steal.

You get two pieces, a drumstick and a thigh, a scoop each of mashed potatoes and dirty rice, a biscuit and some slaw. I'll admit I was not a fan of the slaw. There, done with the negatives. The chicken was hot and crisp, incredibly moist and tender. The breading was just a little thicker than average but very well seasoned and delicious. And it was finished with just a drizzle of hot sauce, enough to tickle the tongue with pleasure, but not so much as to disappoint those who prefer a simpler bird.

I've been running from one fried chicken joint to another. I've had some great fried chicken at Big Jones and Small's (but only on one occasion each). And I've tried many of the other new places and had good but never great chicken. And when I had the fried chicken sandwich at Analogue, I thought the chicken itself was slightly lost between the bread and dressing. But this chicken was fantastic and blew the best chicken at Big Jones and Small's out of the water - it's that good.

The mashed potatoes were terrific, buttery but not too heavy. The dirty rice was even better than the first time I had it, thanks to what seemed like a little hot pepper kick. And the hot, tender biscuit was fantastic too. And let me repeat: $11 for the special (gumbo separate).

After last night's Bulls game, dinner at Analogue was about the only thing to keep me from crying.
  • Post #27 - April 24th, 2014, 7:15 am
    Post #27 - April 24th, 2014, 7:15 am Post #27 - April 24th, 2014, 7:15 am
    can you eat dinner at the bar?
  • Post #28 - April 24th, 2014, 7:19 am
    Post #28 - April 24th, 2014, 7:19 am Post #28 - April 24th, 2014, 7:19 am
    Definitely.
  • Post #29 - April 24th, 2014, 7:26 am
    Post #29 - April 24th, 2014, 7:26 am Post #29 - April 24th, 2014, 7:26 am
    thanks, i might check it out myself tonight, and the bar is more fun than a table for one.
  • Post #30 - April 24th, 2014, 8:33 pm
    Post #30 - April 24th, 2014, 8:33 pm Post #30 - April 24th, 2014, 8:33 pm
    I also was there for the fried chicken on Tuesday and agree it was both delicious and an excellent value. The chicken was also very meaty which is a plus for a two piece dinner. Being a solo diner on Tuesday, I was happy to find both the biscuit and dirty rice in one entree which would otherwise be separate order!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more