LTH Home

Somethin' Sweet Donuts

Somethin' Sweet Donuts
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Somethin' Sweet Donuts

Post #1 - January 18th, 2014, 11:38 am
    Post #1 - January 18th, 2014, 11:38 am Post #1 - January 18th, 2014, 11:38 am
    After moving to Portage Park, I found the reviews for many of the NW side places much more scant than when I was in Edgewater. I've been doing some exploring, and after running into a review on Serious Eats, I thought I would go check out Somethin' Sweet Donuts in Cragin.

I have done the artisinal: Glazed & Infused, Doughnut Vault, et al, so I've had those. I have not been down to Old Fashioned yet, so I don't have them as a point of comparison.

I dropped by this morning about 10:15. It looked like a few varieties were getting fewer, but his availability was good. I talked to the owner, Jimmy, and he offered me a taste of his pumpkin cake doughnut. Dense and pumpkin-y with a glaze, it was solid. I grabbed a half dozen: pumpkin cake, cherry cake, vanilla cake with sprinkles, red velvet cake (I do prefer cake doughnuts), strawberry yeast, and cinnamon sugar yeast.

The cake doughnuts were really nice. They were doughier than many, but that packed a moist bit in the middle that kept the flavor. The cherry cake was particularly cherry laden, with visible bits. The pumpkin had a nice spice. The two yeast doughnuts reminded me of what places like Dunkin' Donuts used to taste like, when they still made them in house. I haven't had a Tim Horton's in a few years, but I would bet it's similar.

Other interesting aside...on the Serious Eats piece, someone linked to the fact that the owner is Cambodian, and that Cambodian doughnut shops are taking over California. I'll definitely talk more to Jimmy the next time I'm in.

http://lky.ph/post/49369673139/richard- ... -doughnuts

Less than $6 later, I was on my way home with a bag. I should have taken more pictures, but we were enjoying them too much. They're cheap, available, and really solid, something this town (and the NW side) can use more of.

Somethin' Sweet Donuts
    5112 W Fullerton Ave
    (between Leclaire Ave & Laramie Ave)
    Chicago, IL 60639
    (773) 237-7588
  • Post #2 - April 15th, 2014, 11:37 am
    Post #2 - April 15th, 2014, 11:37 am Post #2 - April 15th, 2014, 11:37 am
    Holy shit, that apple fritter. How can it be crisp and soft and juicy all at once? Incredible. I never had a 'Dat or Old Fashioned, how does it compare?
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #3 - April 15th, 2014, 11:45 am
    Post #3 - April 15th, 2014, 11:45 am Post #3 - April 15th, 2014, 11:45 am
    Good question, I'll have to get to Old Fashioned. They set a high bar, from what I understand.

I must have had an off day on the apple fritter. I had one since my last post, and it was kinda dry. I will definitely go back and try another now. Of course, I'm hooked on the cherry cake, so I have a problem deviating. I need to bike down there more, though, as the winter has not been kind to my waist line.

Love to get some comparisons on the Dat/Old Fashioned. If anyone hits there regularly and can stop by Somethin' Sweet, I'd love to hear. I still have yet to make a trek down there.
  • Post #4 - April 15th, 2014, 11:49 am
    Post #4 - April 15th, 2014, 11:49 am Post #4 - April 15th, 2014, 11:49 am
    I went on a Sunday. Maybe Sunday is fritter-frying day. The buttermilk bar was also supoib. But I was unimpressed with the cronut. And now I'm all outta donuts.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #5 - April 15th, 2014, 11:58 am
    Post #5 - April 15th, 2014, 11:58 am Post #5 - April 15th, 2014, 11:58 am
    Yeah, I think he gave me a bite of his cronut. It didn't make me want to get one. I do like that he's always handing out munchkins of different varieties to try, though.

Thanks, PL, now I want a cherry cake doughnut!
  • Post #6 - April 19th, 2014, 8:10 am
    Post #6 - April 19th, 2014, 8:10 am Post #6 - April 19th, 2014, 8:10 am
    I tried 3 items this morning: apple fritter, buttermilk bar, old fashioned.

I have a very high bar for apple fritters having grown up on them. I felt the apple fritter at Somethin' Sweet was too dense & overcooked.

I crave a good buttermilk bar/donut, while the buttermilk bar here was done perfectly, I really didn't taste any buttermilk. Big bummer.

The old fashioned was a great donut!
    -
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #7 - April 28th, 2014, 5:28 pm
    Post #7 - April 28th, 2014, 5:28 pm Post #7 - April 28th, 2014, 5:28 pm
    I have become a regular and big fan of Somethin' Sweet over the past month or so, and have been able to sample a wide array of the donuts. I have my favorites, including the cherry cake, old fashioned and glazed yeast, but I think one of the virtues of SSD is the overall high quality across the range and the consistency of the product. The friendly and enthusiastic proprietor is another significant draw. Speaking of which, he told us this past Sunday that he has been invited to appear on TV (I think I remember him saying the Steve Harvey Show), so that is something to watch for.

P.S. On the fritters, try to sample one of the miniatures, which I think offer a better balance of crunch, fruit and goo than do the full-sized fritters.
    JiLS
  • Post #8 - February 10th, 2015, 8:22 am
    Post #8 - February 10th, 2015, 8:22 am Post #8 - February 10th, 2015, 8:22 am
    Had the chance to visit this weekend while looking for a way to satiate what passes for a sweet tooth. We tasted the cherry, buttermilk, buttermilk/boston creme, cinnamon bun, and red velvet donuts. Overall, really well executed and comparable to other 'gourmet' donut shops.

The buttermilk donuts were wonderfully moist in the middle with a slight tang, and the cinnamon buns were light and airy. Cherry cake was too sweet for my tastes, but I also veer toward savory; the rest of our party enjoyed the whole spread.

Jimmy took a few minutes to chat with us. He mentioned that his role in this place started around 3 years ago, and that Chicago's Best was coming in this week to do a shoot.

We'll definitely be back.

IMG_20150207_105612096_HDR_600px.jpg Somethin' Sweet Donut Counter

IMG_20150207_105707283_600px.jpg Somethin' Sweet Cronuts

IMG_20150207_105606154_600px.jpg Jimmy at the counter
  • Post #9 - February 23rd, 2015, 11:03 am
    Post #9 - February 23rd, 2015, 11:03 am Post #9 - February 23rd, 2015, 11:03 am
    I am so pleased that I can now get buttermilk bars locally. I lived on these when visiting San Francisco a decade ago, and the ones at Somethin' Sweet are as good as my memories. The old fashioned here is maybe the best donut I've ever had. Love, love this place.
  • Post #10 - August 8th, 2019, 12:12 pm
    Post #10 - August 8th, 2019, 12:12 pm Post #10 - August 8th, 2019, 12:12 pm
    Spotted in the neighborhood: Somethin' Sweet Donuts "Coming Soon" to 4456 N. Kedzie Avenue (at Sunnyside between Montrose and Wilson.) Windows are still papered over, but there are signs/treatments featuring the same logo as their website https://somethinsweetdonuts.com/, along with promises of beverages such as coffee, smoothies, and boba teas to pair with your donuts. Not sure if the original in Belmont Cragin is moving or this is to be a second location. [I'm also posting this in the "Openings ..." thread.]
  • Post #11 - June 5th, 2020, 5:44 pm
    Post #11 - June 5th, 2020, 5:44 pm Post #11 - June 5th, 2020, 5:44 pm
    First visit Somethin Sweet Donuts in honor of National Donut Day. Double whammy 20% off and donations to @myblockmyhoodmycity I dream of apple fritters and SSD were excellent, slightly more refined and cinnamon forward than gold standard Old Fashion Donuts on South Michigan but craveable. Enjoyed the cake donuts adored light fluffy yeast donuts.

Friendly fast service, attention to social distancing, fair pricing and . . . Donuts! Two locations, I went to N Kedzie. Bonus, owners are sister and brother in-law of current culinary crush Hermosa Chicago and chef/owner @ethan.e.lim

SSDP6.jpg Somethin Sweet Donuts

SSDP2.jpg Somethin Sweet Donuts

SSDP10.jpg Somethin Sweet Donuts

SSDP16.jpg Somethin Sweet Donuts

Somethin Sweet Donuts, count me a Fan!

Somethin Sweet Donuts
    4456 N Kedzie Ave Chicago, IL 60625
    773-654-3117
    5112 W Fullerton Ave Chicago, IL 60639
    773-237-7588
    Current hours
    8am - 4pm
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #12 - December 3rd, 2020, 6:34 pm
    Post #12 - December 3rd, 2020, 6:34 pm Post #12 - December 3rd, 2020, 6:34 pm
    Christmas dinner planning meeting with Major Nancy and Aida at the Salvation Army Harbor Lights center. Brought donuts from Somethin' Sweet Donuts Kedzie. Big hit, even Major Merrill who has lost 9-zillion pounds went in for one. Kudos to the SA on Christiana Ave, they have not had one in-house case of covid, strong protocols in place.

Christmas dinner will socially distanced this year, fewer volunteers, more spacing. Going to be wonderful and delicious in spite of these odd times.

click to enlarge

Salvation Army Harbor Lights Christmas Dinner, count me a Fan
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide