LTH Home

real fish tacos down south [Tacos del Pacifico ]

real fish tacos down south [Tacos del Pacifico ]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - September 28th, 2010, 10:56 pm
    Post #121 - September 28th, 2010, 10:56 pm Post #121 - September 28th, 2010, 10:56 pm
    Sorry, was just hoping someone out there would know of a place similar to this in the chicagoland area, even though I already asked once. haha.
    I'm not picky, I just have more tastebuds than you... ; )
  • Post #122 - January 14th, 2013, 8:44 am
    Post #122 - January 14th, 2013, 8:44 am Post #122 - January 14th, 2013, 8:44 am
    Rene G wrote:
    Do you know if Loncar’s is still open? Are we talking about the place on 92nd a couple blocks east of Commercial, or is there another? I thought Loncar’s closed but I could definitely be wrong.

Not sure if this was ever confirmed/answered:

Definitely still open, possibly called "Loncars Chico" now - Made for a nice one two punch with Heinie's on Saturday.
  • Post #123 - January 14th, 2013, 10:46 pm
    Post #123 - January 14th, 2013, 10:46 pm Post #123 - January 14th, 2013, 10:46 pm
    jimswside wrote:
    Rene G wrote:Do you know if Loncar’s is still open? Are we talking about the place on 92nd a couple blocks east of Commercial, or is there another? I thought Loncar’s closed but I could definitely be wrong.

Not sure if this was ever confirmed/answered:

Definitely still open, possibly called "Loncars Chico" now - Made for a nice one two punch with Heinie's on Saturday.

Thanks for the reminder; I'd forgotten to follow up on my query from seven years ago. Yes, Loncar's is indeed open, I think with new owners (hence the "Chico" on the menu). I've been a number of times in the past five years and always enjoy myself.

It might look somewhat uninviting from the outside (or, for that matter, even when you step into the package goods store just inside the door) but the bar in back is welcoming. It attracts a diverse neighborhood crowd.

Wednesday is taco day! I try to schedule my visits so I'm able to enjoy a basket of crispy ground beef tacos, excellent renditions of the Mexamerican classic.

Tortillas are stuffed with browned hamburger, closed with toothpicks, then the whole thing gets tossed into the deep frier. I think they used to use lard but no longer. The tacos are still tasty, as is the chicken (though the bird could use more seasoning). Note that orange stuff barely visible at the bottom left of the last pic. That's the famous mustard-laced hot sauce favored on the Southeast Side (it's also found at some more northerly older places like Goose Island Shrimp House). Kevin Pang discusses the sauce, Loncar's and Heinie's in this excellent article from last year's Tribune.

For crispy beef tacos washed down with yellow beer it doesn't get much better than Loncar's.

Loncar's Liquors
    3201 E 92nd St
    Chicago
    773-734-3933
  • Post #124 - January 16th, 2013, 8:40 am
    Post #124 - January 16th, 2013, 8:40 am Post #124 - January 16th, 2013, 8:40 am
    Some recent shots of Loncar's - id definitely go back to try their tacos, fried chicken had a really dark, crisp flavorfull crust, meat had little flavor. But this was the type of bar I like to hang out in. Package Liquor up front, active bar in back.

any place that has a bank of deep fryers behind the bar is ok with me:

• Post #125 - January 22nd, 2017, 2:45 pm
    Post #125 - January 22nd, 2017, 2:45 pm Post #125 - January 22nd, 2017, 2:45 pm
    I've looked for how to recreate these tacos and remember upon their closing a number of us had a last hurrah one night. I remember none us the thought to learn how they made them. I believe this was the general technique. Can't wait to try it.

Cheesy Shrimp Tacos
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more