LTH Home

Farmhouse Chicken Strips and More

• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Farmhouse Chicken Strips and More

Post #1 - March 19th, 2014, 4:16 pm
    Post #1 - March 19th, 2014, 4:16 pm Post #1 - March 19th, 2014, 4:16 pm
    There are a handful of fast food franchises in the Southern US that specialize in chicken fingers. Zaxbys from Georgia, Guthries from Alabama and Raising Canes from Louisiana are three that I have enjoyed in the past and now there is a chicken finger joint on the south side that trumps them all. Farmhouse Chicken Strips and More on 79th just west of Western Ave, across the street from St. Rita High School have the greatest chicken fingers I have ever had. As I was told twice by members of staff, they source their vegetarian fed chicken from Wisconsin and it might be the most chicken-y chicken I have ever tasted. Dips offered include BBQ, Honey BBQ, Honey Mustard, Ranch (all housemade) and 'Mildred's Special' which is a spiced mayo. I was clued into this from a seriouseats article and I would not be surprised to find myself here once a week because the chicken fingers are that good.

Incredibly friendly owners and the best chicken fingers of all time (undefeated) make for a welcome addition to my rotation of what I allow in my stomach. According to their website and the article, they will be expanding to south loop area and then THE WORLD. (probably)

2517 W 79th Street
    Chicago, IL 60652
    773-864-0012
  • Post #2 - March 20th, 2014, 7:09 pm
    Post #2 - March 20th, 2014, 7:09 pm Post #2 - March 20th, 2014, 7:09 pm
    Stopped here today after this report. It's on my way home, I was starving, and so it all made sense. Many thanks, Mr. Galt, for the fine tip. The southwest side has many old, good restaurants, many new, bad restaurants, but no new, good restaurants. This fits that last bill nicely.

I seriously enjoyed my meal. Chicken strips were simple, very chicken-y, and lightly but noticeably seasoned. Expertly fried and juicy. On Thursdays, they're only 50 cents a piece, which is a steal for chicken of this quality. I passed on fries, as they seemed to be food service. The St. Rita kids sitting next to me were talking about how they'd never eaten coleslaw until they came here--an interesting data point, even if you don't trust the taste buds of teenagers. I tried two of the sauces, the house Mildred's, which is Thousand-Island-like but thicker and tasty, and the honey mustard, which was just fine. I took a few pictures, but am pressed for time now--will post later. Worth a stop. It's definitely an odd location, but a welcome breath of fresh air in these parts. Give it a try.

Owner also had a lot to say, very open about his practice. Farm in Valparaiso where he intends to raise the chickens eventually, franchising, enjoying the choice of neighborhood, working with some local schools on sponsorships, etc. Sort of a weird place for the neighborhood in a hipster, gentrifying sense, but as I said above, very much welcome. This will be a frequent stop for me.
  • Post #3 - March 24th, 2014, 10:55 am
    Post #3 - March 24th, 2014, 10:55 am Post #3 - March 24th, 2014, 10:55 am
    I am a big fan of these chicken strips places. I've had Raising Canes, Zaxby's and Chicken Now (located in Rosemont) and all are excellent. It's funny that the first three I've been to are clones of each other. They all have the same (frozen but tasty) crinkle fries, Texas toast, the lightly breaded, juicy chicken, and the key - the same dipping sauce. The sauce is like a peppery mayo that tastes similar to me a little like a pepper cream gravy that you put on chicken fried steak. Most people only use the house sauce once they've tried it. It's great.

Here's yet another place doing this concept - Farmhouse. It looks great and it will be successful. All of them do well. I can't believe they haven't come into Chicago like Chick-Fil-A (which has an inferior tasting strip- not sure why Chick-Fil-A's strips don't taste anything like the nuggets or sandwiches, because if they did, I get those too). They will all eventually be everywhere. Chicken Now is the only other option is the Chicago area. They are located in the new mall in Rosemont and are way overpriced (thanks to the mall I am sure). Too bad, because they should have a standalone store, it's really good.
  • Post #4 - March 26th, 2014, 6:52 pm
    Post #4 - March 26th, 2014, 6:52 pm Post #4 - March 26th, 2014, 6:52 pm
    Returned for another 6 piece, just as memorable as last time. They have printed out the SeriousEats article and taped it near the ordering window.

I adore this place.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more