LTH Home

chicken boti at khan's [Khan BBQ reopened at new location]

chicken boti at khan's [Khan BBQ reopened at new location]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 12 of 12 
  • Post #331 - May 20th, 2015, 8:11 am
    Post #331 - May 20th, 2015, 8:11 am Post #331 - May 20th, 2015, 8:11 am
    heading over tonight with about 8 others, will make sure to order tandoori fish this time.

    Is Khan's BYOB?
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #332 - May 20th, 2015, 8:39 am
    Post #332 - May 20th, 2015, 8:39 am Post #332 - May 20th, 2015, 8:39 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:Is Khan's BYOB?

    No. It's Muslim-owned and they're observant.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #333 - August 30th, 2015, 7:23 pm
    Post #333 - August 30th, 2015, 7:23 pm Post #333 - August 30th, 2015, 7:23 pm
    Delicious first meal at Khan BBQ last night: Chicken Boti, Goat Biryani, Goat Chanp, Onion Naan, Sweet Lassi for him and a Mano Lassi for me. We loved it all, and have a few meals' worth of leftovers. Also enjoyed the cooks working the line. The broasted chicken just missed the cut for this order, so will have to be first one in for our next visit. Thank you for the suggestions on menu items.
  • Post #334 - August 31st, 2015, 11:07 am
    Post #334 - August 31st, 2015, 11:07 am Post #334 - August 31st, 2015, 11:07 am
    Smassey wrote:Chicken Boti, Goat Biryani, Goat Chanp, Onion Naan, Sweet Lassi for him and a Mano Lassi for me.

    That sounds really unfair. Did he give you a taste, at least? :(
  • Post #335 - August 31st, 2015, 6:01 pm
    Post #335 - August 31st, 2015, 6:01 pm Post #335 - August 31st, 2015, 6:01 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    Smassey wrote:Chicken Boti, Goat Biryani, Goat Chanp, Onion Naan, Sweet Lassi for him and a Mano Lassi for me.

    That sounds really unfair. Did he give you a taste, at least? :(

    Ha! In fact he did. :oops: And to correct the record, mine was "mango" not "mano". Come to think of it, wouldn't a "mano lassi" be a Spanish-Indo-Pak "handshake"? :lol:
  • Post #336 - August 28th, 2016, 10:01 pm
    Post #336 - August 28th, 2016, 10:01 pm Post #336 - August 28th, 2016, 10:01 pm
    Very ominous happenings at Khan. A license suspended sign in the window, and pretty much every window papered over . . .

    Image
    Khan BBQ - 16.0827

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #337 - August 29th, 2016, 12:17 am
    Post #337 - August 29th, 2016, 12:17 am Post #337 - August 29th, 2016, 12:17 am
    Spoke w/them today. They said they'd be back open by the wkend if not sooner, but you never know...
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #338 - September 4th, 2016, 8:20 pm
    Post #338 - September 4th, 2016, 8:20 pm Post #338 - September 4th, 2016, 8:20 pm
    Drove by this afternoon around 430 and they were open for business.
    I'm relieved.
  • Post #339 - August 2nd, 2017, 8:13 am
    Post #339 - August 2nd, 2017, 8:13 am Post #339 - August 2nd, 2017, 8:13 am
    We are fortunate to live only a few blocks from Khan's, so I don't post about it as often as we eat it. The chicken boti, daal palak, broasted chicken, and bhindi are all as good as they ever were--we had them all take-out the other night with our son and his girlfriend. The good news is that they repainted, and the pepto-bismol colored walls have been replaced by an innocuous off-white/cream. Alas, the animated neon sign over the door remains, but we can't have everything.
  • Post #340 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:43 am
    Post #340 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:43 am Post #340 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:43 am
    razbry wrote:Hi Boudreaulicious! This stuff was HOT in the mouth. HOT enough to have to drink milk. I likes spices. The thing is, I've had this chicken before at Khan's, and it's never been this hot.

    We visited once with a friend who is sensitive to spicy food and even the mildest item on the menu was a challenge. :)

    Just good spicy food not dumbed down for the gringos. :)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #341 - May 6th, 2018, 11:24 am
    Post #341 - May 6th, 2018, 11:24 am Post #341 - May 6th, 2018, 11:24 am
    Had an incredibly excellent lunch here yesterday including the Goat Chanp (which the sever referred to as "Tandoori Chanp" just in case anyone hits a terminology road block). The full menu for the two of us growing men was:

    1/2 broasted chicken
    Chicken boti
    Daal fry
    Goat Chanp
    Onion Naan
    Garlic Naan

    Everything was top notch and leftovers today supplied a highly satisfying breakfast of naan scraps smeared with daal, topped with hunks of chicken boti.

    On top of it, service was also extremely attentive, not only bringing out everything quickly and efficiently, but repeatedly checking in with us, ensuring nothing was forgotten, and then offering us desert at the end. The often perfunctory service I've received here in the past is no reason to avoid dining, but the service rising to meet the level of the food was a nice change of pace and really left us both walking out beaming (and full).
  • Post #342 - March 26th, 2020, 8:53 pm
    Post #342 - March 26th, 2020, 8:53 pm Post #342 - March 26th, 2020, 8:53 pm
    Almost two years since any posts on Khan. Boo us. Although in our defense the menu never changes and the quality is consistently fantastic so there's really nothing new to say.

    But it's worth point out that Khan's is open for carryout during the Quarantine. Devon Ave. is the quietest part of the city I've seen since this thing started.

    Khan BBQ Chicken Boti Resized.jpg

    Khan Broasted Chicken resized.jpg

    Chicken boti and broasted chicken at Khan BBQ. Two of the 10 best chicken dishes in Chicago? Five best? Top two?
  • Post #343 - March 26th, 2020, 9:05 pm
    Post #343 - March 26th, 2020, 9:05 pm Post #343 - March 26th, 2020, 9:05 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Almost two years since any posts on Khan. Boo us. Although in our defense the menu never changes and the quality is consistently fantastic so there's really nothing new to say.

    But it's worth point out that Khan's is open for carryout during the Quarantine. Devon Ave. is the quietest part of the city I've seen since this thing started.

    Chicken boti and broasted chicken at Khan BBQ. Two of the 10 best chicken dishes in Chicago? Five best? Top two?

    Yeah, I've been a few times and neglected to post. But yeah, it's been consistently Khan. Those are both great dishes, no doubt, especially the boti. What's the current protocol over there?

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #344 - March 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm
    Post #344 - March 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm Post #344 - March 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yeah, I've been a few times and neglected to post. But yeah, it's been consistently Khan. Those are both great dishes, no doubt, especially the boti. What's the current protocol over there?=R=

    Pretty sure it's carry out only; no delivery. Called them up, was told to come in 20-25 minutes. Got there in 20 and my food was packed and waiting for me. No other customers when I was there and there was nothing on the grill.
  • Post #345 - March 26th, 2020, 9:19 pm
    Post #345 - March 26th, 2020, 9:19 pm Post #345 - March 26th, 2020, 9:19 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yeah, I've been a few times and neglected to post. But yeah, it's been consistently Khan. Those are both great dishes, no doubt, especially the boti. What's the current protocol over there?=R=

    Pretty sure it's carry out only; no delivery. Called them up, was told to come in 20-25 minutes. Got there in 20 and my food was packed and waiting for me. No other customers when I was there and there was nothing on the grill.

    So, you went in? No curbside? Not that that's necessarily a deal-breaker for me but it might be for others.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #346 - March 26th, 2020, 9:42 pm
    Post #346 - March 26th, 2020, 9:42 pm Post #346 - March 26th, 2020, 9:42 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:But yeah, it's been consistently Khan. Those are both great dishes, no doubt, especially the boti.

    I've been a fan of Khan for years, but about 10 months ago I decided I had to test the waters for comparable chicken boti given how unsatisfied I was with their vegetable dishes, both regular daal and daal palak were way too oily. I didn't experience any meaningful drop off in quality on the chicken boti at Bismillah or Shinwari to the west. The former had the superior daal palak, both with good naan and paratha. If I'm going to get Khan, I think a weekend order with chicken biryani is the way to go.
  • Post #347 - March 26th, 2020, 9:46 pm
    Post #347 - March 26th, 2020, 9:46 pm Post #347 - March 26th, 2020, 9:46 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:So, you went in? No curbside? Not that that's necessarily a deal-breaker for me but it might be for others.

    =R=

    Yep. Didn't appear that curbside was an option. They didn't ask for a credit card over the phone. The guy who took the card and handed me food was wearing plastic gloves.
  • Post #348 - March 26th, 2020, 10:07 pm
    Post #348 - March 26th, 2020, 10:07 pm Post #348 - March 26th, 2020, 10:07 pm
    bweiny wrote:I've been a fan of Khan for years, but about 10 months ago I decided I had to test the waters for comparable chicken boti given how unsatisfied I was with their vegetable dishes, both regular daal and daal palak were way too oily. I didn't experience any meaningful drop off in quality on the chicken boti at Bismillah or Shinwari to the west. The former had the superior daal palak, both with good naan and paratha. If I'm going to get Khan, I think a weekend order with chicken biryani is the way to go.

    The daal fry at Khan is so ghee-intensive, I've actually had a server try to talk our group out of ordering it! (I'm guessing there are pics upthread in which you can actually see a ghee slick on top of the dish :D) I do love it but a little goes a long way, and it's best to order it when part of a large group, when there's a little bit less of it per person. When things get back to normal, I'll be sure to try the boti at Bismillah and/or Shinwari. I have to say that my boti experiences at other places on Devon have not been particularly favorable or worthy of repeating.

    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Yep. Didn't appear that curbside was an option. They didn't ask for a credit card over the phone. The guy who took the card and handed me food was wearing plastic gloves.

    Ok, got it. Thanks.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #349 - March 27th, 2020, 8:07 am
    Post #349 - March 27th, 2020, 8:07 am Post #349 - March 27th, 2020, 8:07 am
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:So, you went in? No curbside? Not that that's necessarily a deal-breaker for me but it might be for others.

    =R=

    Yep. Didn't appear that curbside was an option. They didn't ask for a credit card over the phone. The guy who took the card and handed me food was wearing plastic gloves.

    Gloves are useless if they're not getting changed out constantly.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #350 - March 27th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    Post #350 - March 27th, 2020, 4:22 pm Post #350 - March 27th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:So, you went in? No curbside? Not that that's necessarily a deal-breaker for me but it might be for others.

    =R=

    With My Bride and I being in a high risk group it is a deal breaker for me.
    I wrote:4 minutes exposure to a unknown environment vs 10 seconds exposure in the virus free environment of my car.

    When I call I’m prepared to pay and make it a point to insist on curbside. Hasn’t been a problem so far.

    We all have to do what we can to limit the spread of the virus
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more