LTH Home

Portillo's selling out?

Portillo's selling out?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 9 of 11
  • Post #241 - March 10th, 2021, 1:25 pm
    Post #241 - March 10th, 2021, 1:25 pm Post #241 - March 10th, 2021, 1:25 pm
    Santander wrote:Heads-up that Minnesota relatives I trust reported today that Portillo's employees indicated tamales have been permanently discontinued in (at least) the North Star State. YMMV, hoping this is not heading in the direction of Popeyes dirty rice and KFC potato wedges.

If they were a solid profit center they'd still be selling. I'd guess it's a matter of no demand.
  • Post #242 - July 19th, 2021, 9:45 am
    Post #242 - July 19th, 2021, 9:45 am Post #242 - July 19th, 2021, 9:45 am
    It is seven years since Portillo's has been sold and now, they are looking for an IPO?

https://www.nrn.com/fast-casual/portill ... 8b4f055215
  • Post #243 - July 19th, 2021, 11:56 am
    Post #243 - July 19th, 2021, 11:56 am Post #243 - July 19th, 2021, 11:56 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:It is seven years since Portillo's has been sold and now, they are looking for an IPO?

Yep, that's how it often works. P.E. comes in and buys it. Then, they pump it and dump it. The same thing is happening with Weber right now. $$ Cha-ching $$.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #244 - July 19th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    Post #244 - July 19th, 2021, 12:51 pm Post #244 - July 19th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    jlawrence01 wrote:It is seven years since Portillo's has been sold and now, they are looking for an IPO?

Yep, that's how it often works. P.E. comes in and buys it. Then, they pump it and dump it. The same thing is happening with Weber right now. $$ Cha-ching $$.

=R=

I'd sort of thought that Portillo's had been "pumped" to the max. Apparently the PE folk are hoping that the IPO folk will have enough ideas to squeeze out even more that the IPO will succeed.
  • Post #245 - July 19th, 2021, 10:45 pm
    Post #245 - July 19th, 2021, 10:45 pm Post #245 - July 19th, 2021, 10:45 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

I don’t understand the “dump it” reference. The current Weber owners will retain a majority stock position , and therefore control of the company after the IPO. They will presumably be enriched by the value of their stock and have cash to fund their business plans. One would assume the same thing will happen with Portillo’s.

In the long run, the current management team might lose power (as Jobs did at Apple), and pressure from stock holders for quarterly profits and dividends could change the way the business is handled. But taking a company public is not the same as selling it.
  • Post #246 - July 19th, 2021, 10:51 pm
    Post #246 - July 19th, 2021, 10:51 pm Post #246 - July 19th, 2021, 10:51 pm
    scottsol wrote:I don’t understand the “dump it” reference.

I should have said pawn off a (lame duck) portion of the company rather than "dump it."

=R=
  • Post #247 - September 27th, 2021, 8:23 pm
    Post #247 - September 27th, 2021, 8:23 pm Post #247 - September 27th, 2021, 8:23 pm
    Hot-Dog Restaurant Chain Portillo’s Files to Go Public on Nasdaq

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -on-nasdaq
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #248 - October 20th, 2021, 7:22 pm
    Post #248 - October 20th, 2021, 7:22 pm Post #248 - October 20th, 2021, 7:22 pm
    For loyal Portillo’s customers, IPO puts a new item on the menu: shares in a favorite company.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #249 - January 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm
    Post #249 - January 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm Post #249 - January 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm
    Portillo's launching first drive-through only location.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/porti ... industries
  • Post #250 - March 25th, 2022, 10:17 pm
    Post #250 - March 25th, 2022, 10:17 pm Post #250 - March 25th, 2022, 10:17 pm
    We've been hitting up the new(ish) location on Addison by the home Depot semi frequently throughout the pandemic and it's simply sucked the last few months.

Every time we go something is fucked up. Last time they forgot two sandwiches (which they promised to refund but never did). Tonight cheese was missing from cheese fries. Two times ago it was missing blue cheese in my salad. I could forgive little things (like the missing cheeses), but my sandwich was horrible tonight. They used to have one of my favorite grilled chicken fast food sandwiches. Always juicy and well seasoned. Tonight's was tough and luke warm. (Also, my wife wanted a pepper and egg tonight, but the worker said they stop serving them at 6pm?)

The only reason I'm going back at this point is my kids still love it and I get overruled (I will concede that their hotdogs tonight were still great).
  • Post #251 - March 28th, 2022, 11:00 am
    Post #251 - March 28th, 2022, 11:00 am Post #251 - March 28th, 2022, 11:00 am
    jellob1976 wrote:We've been hitting up the new(ish) location on Addison by the home Depot semi frequently throughout the pandemic and it's simply sucked the last few months.

Every time we go something is fucked up. Last time they forgot two sandwiches (which they promised to refund but never did). Tonight cheese was missing from cheese fries. Two times ago it was missing blue cheese in my salad. I could forgive little things (like the missing cheeses), but my sandwich was horrible tonight. They used to have one of my favorite grilled chicken fast food sandwiches. Always juicy and well seasoned. Tonight's was tough and luke warm. (Also, my wife wanted a pepper and egg tonight, but the worker said they stop serving them at 6pm?)

The only reason I'm going back at this point is my kids still love it and I get overruled (I will concede that their hotdogs tonight were still great).
    Since they still use natural casing Vienna Beef for the hot dogs, they should be a good option. I don't go like I used to but they still can surprise me. I had two great beef sandwiches in a row at my local location in Deerfield. Obviously if you eat in the restaurant chances are things will be better and if they screw it up, you can go to the counter and have it done right. If you take it to go, all bets are off. You mentioned the worker said they stopped serving pepper and egg at 6. If it were me I would double check with the manager or general manager if I really wanted it because sometimes the employees are not always correct.
  • Post #252 - March 28th, 2022, 11:22 am
    Post #252 - March 28th, 2022, 11:22 am Post #252 - March 28th, 2022, 11:22 am
    I never go to Portillo's because even though most of what they do is good, none of it is ever excellent. They're a solid B but almost nothing is ever an A. Tough to go into a meal -- especially a calorie/carb/fat spend like Portillo's -- knowing that the best it can possibly be is merely good.

=R=
  • Post #253 - March 28th, 2022, 5:27 pm
    Post #253 - March 28th, 2022, 5:27 pm Post #253 - March 28th, 2022, 5:27 pm
    Hit up this portillos a couple weeks ago and had a similar meh experience. The hot dog was still very good but the beef had a lot less heft than I recall.

Still a decent option for the area at 9pm on Monday. But I'll be considering the nearby white castle next time around... :)
  • Post #254 - March 31st, 2022, 9:04 pm
    Post #254 - March 31st, 2022, 9:04 pm Post #254 - March 31st, 2022, 9:04 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I never go to Portillo's because even though most of what they do is good, none of it is ever excellent. They're a solid B but almost nothing is ever an A. Tough to go into a meal -- especially a calorie/carb/fat spend like Portillo's -- knowing that the best it can possibly be is merely good.

=R=

The chili cheese dog is the best thing on the menu, and probably one of the best iterations of the dish available. The rest is forgettable except the lemon cake/shake.
  • Post #255 - April 1st, 2022, 7:31 am
    Post #255 - April 1st, 2022, 7:31 am Post #255 - April 1st, 2022, 7:31 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I never go to Portillo's because even though most of what they do is good, none of it is ever excellent. They're a solid B but almost nothing is ever an A. Tough to go into a meal -- especially a calorie/carb/fat spend like Portillo's -- knowing that the best it can possibly be is merely good.

=R=

I'm OK with "merely good", especially because so many of the Portillo's locations are close and convenient when out and about. It's definitely not destination dining, but when I'm out running errands around meal time and one is close, at least I know what I am going to get is "good". Could I detour 20-30 minutes out of the way and go to Johnnies, Als, Jims, Bari, Riveria, etc. and know I am getting something "better", sure, but that's not always an option.

If I'm sitting at home and decide to grab a quick bite, Portillo's isn't even on the list. If I'm out, need a quick bite, and am not near one of dozens of other places Portillo's is "merely good" enough.
  • Post #256 - April 1st, 2022, 7:54 am
    Post #256 - April 1st, 2022, 7:54 am Post #256 - April 1st, 2022, 7:54 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Tough to go into a meal -- especially a calorie/carb/fat spend like Portillo's -- knowing that the best it can possibly be is merely good.

Agree, but not 100%. Natural Casing Hot Dog from Portillo's is better than 94.7 of the hot dog stands in Chicago. Nice snap, juicy, classic flavor palate, full on 'run through garden' for those inclined or, for the more reasonable among us, mustard/onion/sport pepper for the asking.

Aside from the fact Portillio's are scattered around Chicago they offer drive-thru which, for a fellow who occasionally has foot issues, is a solid plus.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #257 - April 1st, 2022, 10:14 am
    Post #257 - April 1st, 2022, 10:14 am Post #257 - April 1st, 2022, 10:14 am
    I enjoyed my whitefish sandwich at Portillo's yesterday. Might just be a Lent item.
  • Post #258 - April 1st, 2022, 10:35 am
    Post #258 - April 1st, 2022, 10:35 am Post #258 - April 1st, 2022, 10:35 am
    I like that at some locations you can also enjoy a beer with your dog or beef.

Now I'm not saying anything about their beer choices on tap, but sometimes a combo and a beer hit the right spot.

And they use to have like a 24oz schooner which, even if the beer selection is not to your liking, at least the portion size is nice, which I know a lot of folks here focus on

:o
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #259 - April 1st, 2022, 10:43 am
    Post #259 - April 1st, 2022, 10:43 am Post #259 - April 1st, 2022, 10:43 am
    lodasi wrote:

The chili cheese dog is the best thing on the menu, and probably one of the best iterations of the dish available. The rest is forgettable except the lemon cake/shake.

G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Tough to go into a meal -- especially a calorie/carb/fat spend like Portillo's -- knowing that the best it can possibly be is merely good.

Agree, but not 100%. Natural Casing Hot Dog from Portillo's is better than 94.7 of the hot dog stands in Chicago. Nice snap, juicy, classic flavor palate, full on 'run through garden' for those inclined or, for the more reasonable among us, mustard/onion/sport pepper for the asking.

Aside from the fact Portillio's are scattered around Chicago they offer drive-thru which, for a fellow who occasionally has foot issues, is a solid plus.

I think you guys are right about the dogs -- best item on the menu. Natural casing and iirc, they're a proprietary formula made for them by Vienna Beef. I'll have to try a chili cheese dog next time my son decides to get Portillo's. Definitely not an eat in the car item, though. :D

=R=
  • Post #260 - April 2nd, 2022, 1:10 pm
    Post #260 - April 2nd, 2022, 1:10 pm Post #260 - April 2nd, 2022, 1:10 pm
    G_Wiv wrote:Natural Casing Hot Dog from Portillo's is better than 94.7 of the hot dog stands in Chicago.
    Can you explain? Are Portillo's dogs better than the standard Vienna Beef ones? Maybe I'm missing the point; I rarely eat hot dogs but I hang around with some Chicago-dog lovers.

Yeah. A few additional points: The endless long lines particularly for drive thru but indoors as well. I'd rather spend money at less corporate businesses. Maybe their owners are just as bad, but I feel better about it.

I can get better service and maybe better food for about the same price at Lukes, Fratello's, Tommy's, etc. Or I can get cheaper food that's roughly as good at some of the little junky spots like Sami's or Waukegan Gyros.

And didn't Portillo's used to have a grilled tuna sandwich that is no longer on the menu?
  • Post #261 - April 2nd, 2022, 1:27 pm
    Post #261 - April 2nd, 2022, 1:27 pm Post #261 - April 2nd, 2022, 1:27 pm
    tjr wrote:
    G_Wiv wrote:Natural Casing Hot Dog from Portillo's is better than 94.7 of the hot dog stands in Chicago.
    Can you explain? Are Portillo's dogs better than the standard Vienna Beef ones? Maybe I'm missing the point; I rarely eat hot dogs but I hang around with some Chicago-dog lovers.

See my post above. Vienna Beef makes a proprietary blend for Portillo's, so the dogs they serve are bit different than other Vienna natural casing dogs. Plus, I'm guessing, their brisk turn-over also helps with the quality of the dogs they serve.

=R=
  • Post #262 - April 2nd, 2022, 2:59 pm
    Post #262 - April 2nd, 2022, 2:59 pm Post #262 - April 2nd, 2022, 2:59 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Vienna Beef makes a proprietary blend for Portillo's, so the dogs they serve are bit different than other Vienna natural casing dogs.

I was wondering how "different" made them better. Sometimes different is just, well, different.
  • Post #263 - April 2nd, 2022, 3:21 pm
    Post #263 - April 2nd, 2022, 3:21 pm Post #263 - April 2nd, 2022, 3:21 pm
    tjr wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Vienna Beef makes a proprietary blend for Portillo's, so the dogs they serve are bit different than other Vienna natural casing dogs.

I was wondering how "different" made them better. Sometimes different is just, well, different.

Guess you'll just have to try one and see for yourself. It's a pretty low barrier to entry and the way they're expanding, it's easier than ever to hit a Portillo's.

In any case, I don't want to speak for Gary but I do believe that he was referring more to the condition of the dogs served at Portillo's than anything else. That kind of volume likely leads to brisk turnover, which leads to fresher, snappier dogs.

=R=
  • Post #264 - April 2nd, 2022, 3:42 pm
    Post #264 - April 2nd, 2022, 3:42 pm Post #264 - April 2nd, 2022, 3:42 pm
    Unfortunately, now you've got my curiosity up. Fresher as in nearer to the production date, or less time spent in a hot water tank?
  • Post #265 - April 2nd, 2022, 4:48 pm
    Post #265 - April 2nd, 2022, 4:48 pm Post #265 - April 2nd, 2022, 4:48 pm
    tjr wrote:Unfortunately, now you've got my curiosity up. Fresher as in nearer to the production date, or less time spent in a hot water tank?

Well, probably both but with the latter actually making the bigger difference. I know many places have SOPs that dictate how long dogs can spend in the water before they're discarded but I'm not sure how diligently they're followed in practice.

=R=
  • Post #266 - April 3rd, 2022, 12:23 pm
    Post #266 - April 3rd, 2022, 12:23 pm Post #266 - April 3rd, 2022, 12:23 pm
    tjr wrote:Unfortunately, now you've got my curiosity up. Fresher as in nearer to the production date, or less time spent in a hot water tank?

You are parsing closer than a boot camp marine's first haircut. :)

I like Portillio's more than 94.7% of Chicago hot dog stands mainly because they use natural casing and many/most dog stands do not. As an occasional ped impeded person I appreciate the drive thru.

Going deep into the snappy heart of the matter Portillio's natural casing dogs are made by Vienna, I've taken two tours of the factory, one led by Mr. Hot Dog himself, Bob Schwartz. Attended the twice, or is it thrice, daily tastings of products. Portillio's dogs were marked so on the table, I inquired what made them different than regular production natural casing hot dogs. Not talking size/dogs per pound, but internals.

I was told for Portillios adds a small amount of additional phosphate to the meat emulsion to aid in water retention and promote juiciness. It was pointed out this is a very minor difference.

Portillio's is a good tasting dog, fresh, as Ronnie points out, and convenient. Is Portillio's replacing Jimmy's, RHR, Herm's, Fluky's or even Gene and Jude in my winner wieners, no, of course not, don't be silly. But a Portillio's hot dog, mustard/onion/sport pepper on a warm perfectly steamed poppy seed bun hits the spot, especially when my dogs are barking.

Hot dogs, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #267 - April 4th, 2022, 10:35 am
    Post #267 - April 4th, 2022, 10:35 am Post #267 - April 4th, 2022, 10:35 am
    I think the first sign of the downward trend for me was a few years ago when they transitioned to the neon green relish. That was the first indicator the corporate world was making changes to allow for further expansion.

The bean counters are going to make sure ingredients are uniform across the country (for the most part), and that means not relying on local suppliers nearly as much to ensure a consistent experience country-wide. The other part of this is that with all of the rising expenses (supply chain, workers wages, fuel, etc.) the people upstairs are also going to be looking for any and every way to cut costs.

I have a tough time believing Vienna Beef will be able to keep up with Portillo's expansion plans, not just by their output, but also due to the cost. When push comes to shove, a national hot dog brand that has facilities and logistics setup to handle a nationwide chain-restuarant may end up coming in with their own "Chicago Dog" recipe.

In almost any major area in the city or burbs you could probably find a better red hots stand, but Portillo's used to be good enough that I wouldn't bother driving the extra distance during my lunch break to get something marginally better. I still remember my parents taking me to the Forest Park location as a kid in the early 90's and having them hold me up to the glass to watch the workers assemble the food and I absolutely loved it. Got a little 3-month old at home and I'm sure I'll take her to Portillo's to do the same, but it's mostly for nostalgic reasons now.

If Johnnie's or Alpine ever go downhill then there goes my childhood...
  • Post #268 - April 4th, 2022, 11:01 am
    Post #268 - April 4th, 2022, 11:01 am Post #268 - April 4th, 2022, 11:01 am
    mtb4464 wrote:I think the first sign of the downward trend for me was a few years ago when they transitioned to the neon green relish.

How is this a negative? Most of the classic run-it-through-the-garden places (versus the depression dog style) use the neon (it's my preference). I would guess they're using the Vienna (subsidiary?) product.

And Vienna not being a national brand? You may not find them in the south, but pretty much everywhere else. Remember they also make Nathan's.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #269 - April 4th, 2022, 12:01 pm
    Post #269 - April 4th, 2022, 12:01 pm Post #269 - April 4th, 2022, 12:01 pm
    Vienna also supplies the hundreds of Shake Shack locations across the country. They can scale if business keeps expanding.
  • Post #270 - April 4th, 2022, 2:44 pm
    Post #270 - April 4th, 2022, 2:44 pm Post #270 - April 4th, 2022, 2:44 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    mtb4464 wrote:I think the first sign of the downward trend for me was a few years ago when they transitioned to the neon green relish.

How is this a negative? Most of the classic run-it-through-the-garden places (versus the depression dog style) use the neon (it's my preference). I would guess they're using the Vienna (subsidiary?) product.

And Vienna not being a national brand? You may not find them in the south, but pretty much everywhere else. Remember they also make Nathan's.

Had no idea they also made Nathan’s. Is that just Vienna co-packing for our region?

And as for the relish, the neon green ain’t my favorite, BUT I moreso meant that once they were bought out the relish changed from what they had been using all along. Nothing is off the table when you’ve got stockholders to impress.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more