LTH Home

Portillo's selling out?

Portillo's selling out?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 11
  • Post #31 - July 3rd, 2014, 8:21 pm
    Post #31 - July 3rd, 2014, 8:21 pm Post #31 - July 3rd, 2014, 8:21 pm
    sundevilpeg wrote:There are also two Cali locations of Al's - one in Chino (east of LA, vaguely in the Ontario area), and one in San Jose.

Wow, first place I ever went to a franchised Uno's was San Jose. What is it about that town?
  • Post #32 - July 4th, 2014, 6:58 am
    Post #32 - July 4th, 2014, 6:58 am Post #32 - July 4th, 2014, 6:58 am
    Never tasted Al's outside Chicagoland, but in my opinion none of the area Al's have a taste even close to the sandwiches at the original Taylor Street store, which is my favorite of all time.

But this is where Portillo's shines. A bunch of my high school classmates have relocated to the Phoenix/Mesa area, and they swear by the quality & makeup of the IB's at the Portillo's down there. I deal with a couple of their purveyors & they are sticklers about the product & ingredient sourcing. Absolutely the same, just like it is all over Chicago & suburbia. In its own way, marketed very similar to Lou Malnati's. Thus, it's not a surprise that both of them are featured in those 'Tastes of Chicago' food packages.
  • Post #33 - July 4th, 2014, 8:06 am
    Post #33 - July 4th, 2014, 8:06 am Post #33 - July 4th, 2014, 8:06 am
    In general, I don't like chains of any sort. Portillo's transcends that. Their beef, although not the best, is extremely good and more importantly, very consistent. You know what you will get at any stop. Hats off to them and their model. Thank you for the great meals. Hopefully, the new owners are not fools. As they say, the enemy of best is better.
  • Post #34 - July 4th, 2014, 10:22 am
    Post #34 - July 4th, 2014, 10:22 am Post #34 - July 4th, 2014, 10:22 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Tim wrote:Why doesn't somebody change the title of this discussion?

That's completely up to the OP.

=R=
    for the Moderators

from the American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms:

sell out 1. Dispose of entirely by selling.

Note that this is the first (i.e., primary) definition given.

It's also, for what it's worth, the first (and only) meaning I thought of, since the context makes it clear that the business owner in question is indeed selling his business, rather than compromising the quality of his products for the sake of profit (a secondary meaning of the expression).
    fine words butter no parsnips
  • Post #35 - July 5th, 2014, 7:42 am
    Post #35 - July 5th, 2014, 7:42 am Post #35 - July 5th, 2014, 7:42 am
    What is the "OP"?
  • Post #36 - July 5th, 2014, 7:45 am
    Post #36 - July 5th, 2014, 7:45 am Post #36 - July 5th, 2014, 7:45 am
    Original Poster or Original Post
  • Post #37 - July 5th, 2014, 12:11 pm
    Post #37 - July 5th, 2014, 12:11 pm Post #37 - July 5th, 2014, 12:11 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=
    for the Moderators

Tim wrote:What is the "OP"?

zoid wrote:Original Poster or Original Post

I made that modest suggestion.
  • Post #38 - July 5th, 2014, 12:31 pm
    Post #38 - July 5th, 2014, 12:31 pm Post #38 - July 5th, 2014, 12:31 pm
    I believe Ronnie's point was that if the original poster (in this case spinynorman99) wants to change the title he can but the mods will leave that decision up to him.
  • Post #39 - July 5th, 2014, 12:57 pm
    Post #39 - July 5th, 2014, 12:57 pm Post #39 - July 5th, 2014, 12:57 pm
    zoid wrote:I believe Ronnie's point was that if the original poster (in this case spinynorman99) wants to change the title he can but the mods will leave that decision up to him.

Yes . . . or her in this case, if I'm not mistaken. It's not a Moderator decision.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #40 - July 5th, 2014, 1:21 pm
    Post #40 - July 5th, 2014, 1:21 pm Post #40 - July 5th, 2014, 1:21 pm
    Roger Ramjet wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=
    for the Moderators

It's also, for what it's worth, the first (and only) meaning I thought of, since the context makes it clear that the business owner in question is indeed selling his business, rather than compromising the quality of his products for the sake of profit (a secondary meaning of the expression).

If, as it appears, we are veering into pedantry let's at least, then, be accurate. The OP's title uses the term "selling out", NOT "sell out". Accessing various references as to what "selling out" is deemed to indicate we can find:

"Selling out is the compromising of integrity, morality, authenticity or principles in exchange for personal gain, such as money." Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selling_out

"To compromise one's values and/or aristic vision in order to gain fame and/or monetary profit. " Urban Dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ling%20out

Granted, more searching can find references that associate the same term with "clearing the shelves" type of actual sale process but I'd offer (with no scientific basis to support this) that the average reader of this thread associates the term "selling out" with the more negative connotations offered by Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary. I know I do.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #41 - July 5th, 2014, 1:29 pm
    Post #41 - July 5th, 2014, 1:29 pm Post #41 - July 5th, 2014, 1:29 pm
    Kman wrote:Granted, more searching can find references that associate the same term with "clearing the shelves" type of actual sale process but I'd offer (with no scientific basis to support this) that the average reader of this thread associates the term "selling out" with the more negative connotations offered by Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary. I know I do.

I do too.

=R=
  • Post #42 - July 5th, 2014, 1:30 pm
    Post #42 - July 5th, 2014, 1:30 pm Post #42 - July 5th, 2014, 1:30 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    zoid wrote:I believe Ronnie's point was that if the original poster (in this case spinynorman99) wants to change the title he can but the mods will leave that decision up to him.

Yes . . . or her in this case, if I'm not mistaken. It's not a Moderator decision.

=R=

Whoops!
    Apologies for any gender confusion on my part.
  • Post #43 - July 5th, 2014, 1:45 pm
    Post #43 - July 5th, 2014, 1:45 pm Post #43 - July 5th, 2014, 1:45 pm
    Ok, back to the crux of the topic here. I'm not a fan of Portillo's and this sale will zero effect on my life. I almost never go there and I never seek it out. Yes, Vienna Beef does (or once did) make a proprietary hot dog for Portillo's. To me, that's the only interesting thing about the place, and it's still not enough to draw me in because the non-proprietary Vienna dogs served at dozens (hundreds?) of other places around town are every bit as good or better. I think of Portillo's as an approximation of genuine hot dog stands, burger joints and Italian beef shops. It feels touristy. Everything rates a B or a C. There are no A's served there. Whatever corporate modifications the buyer puts in effect will likely be unnoticeable. This chain is already firmly in the volume over quality zone.

But I'm happy for Dick Portillo. From the feel of these restaurants, it seems like this kind of sale has been a goal of his for a long time. More power to him.

=R=
  • Post #44 - July 5th, 2014, 3:05 pm
    Post #44 - July 5th, 2014, 3:05 pm Post #44 - July 5th, 2014, 3:05 pm
    Kman wrote:
    Roger Ramjet wrote:

If, as it appears, we are veering into pedantry let's at least, then, be accurate. The OP's title uses the term "selling out", NOT "sell out".
    <snip>
    Granted, more searching can find references that associate the same term with "clearing the shelves" type of actual sale process but I'd offer (with no scientific basis to support this) that the average reader of this thread associates the term "selling out" with the more negative connotations offered by Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary. I know I do.

Yes, let's. "To sell out" is a phrasal verb. "Selling out" is the participial phrase derived therefrom. The essential meaning remains unchanged.

Agreed, we have insufficient data to reach a scientific conclusion as to the average reader's thought processes while reading this thread.

However, several readers reacted - judging by the torch & pitchfork waving - to the Original Post as if the expression the Original Poster used could only be meant as a cruel and unwarranted attack on Portillo's. Just thought I'd mention that "to sell out" has a valid, well-known, not at all obscure nonjudgmental meaning.
    fine words butter no parsnips
  • Post #45 - July 5th, 2014, 3:47 pm
    Post #45 - July 5th, 2014, 3:47 pm Post #45 - July 5th, 2014, 3:47 pm
    I love this forum!!!
  • Post #46 - July 5th, 2014, 4:16 pm
    Post #46 - July 5th, 2014, 4:16 pm Post #46 - July 5th, 2014, 4:16 pm
    However, several readers reacted - judging by the torch & pitchfork waving . . .

Seriously? :roll:
  • Post #47 - July 5th, 2014, 7:33 pm
    Post #47 - July 5th, 2014, 7:33 pm Post #47 - July 5th, 2014, 7:33 pm
    I give Roger Ramjet the win.
    Logan: Come on, everybody, wang chung tonight! What? Everybody, wang chung tonight! Wang chung, or I'll kick your ass!
  • Post #48 - July 5th, 2014, 8:21 pm
    Post #48 - July 5th, 2014, 8:21 pm Post #48 - July 5th, 2014, 8:21 pm
    bnowell724 wrote:I give Roger Ramjet the win.

LOL, I'm still giving the win to Dick Portillo. :lol:

=R=
  • Post #49 - July 6th, 2014, 4:54 am
    Post #49 - July 6th, 2014, 4:54 am Post #49 - July 6th, 2014, 4:54 am

I think the the object of the following statement provided ample clarity of context. But that Dictionary of Idioms may not consider "outside corporate overlord" to be a pejorative term.

spinynorman99 wrote:Looks like the local chain will soon have new outsider corporate overlords:
  • Post #50 - July 8th, 2014, 1:16 pm
    Post #50 - July 8th, 2014, 1:16 pm Post #50 - July 8th, 2014, 1:16 pm
    Certainly the most consistent hot dog I've ever had and close to, if not the best, Italian Beef as well.

Portillo's hot dogs have a distinct flavor profile that I haven't quite encountered elsewhere.

And, for those of us who care, damned consistent Coke product as well. Never watered down or "OFF" somehow always perfectly mixed out of the spray gun/machine/etc.
  • Post #51 - July 8th, 2014, 1:18 pm
    Post #51 - July 8th, 2014, 1:18 pm Post #51 - July 8th, 2014, 1:18 pm
    Bster wrote:Portillo's hot dogs have a distinct flavor profile that I haven't quite encountered elsewhere.

Yes. As I posted above, it's a Vienna Beef dog made only for them -- still not enough to make me a fan.

=R=
  • Post #52 - July 9th, 2014, 2:10 pm
    Post #52 - July 9th, 2014, 2:10 pm Post #52 - July 9th, 2014, 2:10 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I think of Portillo's as an approximation of genuine hot dog stands, burger joints and Italian beef shops. It feels touristy. Everything rates a B or a C. There are no A's served there. Whatever corporate modifications the buyer puts in effect will likely be unnoticeable. This chain is already firmly in the volume over quality zone.

=R=

I disagree about this. When it comes to beefs Portillo's is firmly in my top tier chain or no. There are only a handful of independent beef places that serve a better sandwich in my opinion and even those places will put out a clunker from time to time. On the other hand Portillos beef is always very good, sometimes great, and never bad.

Same with their excellent dogs. They are really set apart by attention to detail in assembly, with just enough of everything, all neatly capped off by the pickle spear which holds everything else in place. You get a little of every ingredient in every bite at Portillos, I've only had a better dog at Poochies and Jeff's Red Hots, that's it.
  • Post #53 - July 9th, 2014, 2:15 pm
    Post #53 - July 9th, 2014, 2:15 pm Post #53 - July 9th, 2014, 2:15 pm
    eating while walking wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I think of Portillo's as an approximation of genuine hot dog stands, burger joints and Italian beef shops. It feels touristy. Everything rates a B or a C. There are no A's served there. Whatever corporate modifications the buyer puts in effect will likely be unnoticeable. This chain is already firmly in the volume over quality zone.

=R=

I disagree about this. When it comes to beefs Portillo's is firmly in my top tier chain or no. There are only a handful of independent beef places that serve a better sandwich in my opinion and even those places will put out a clunker from time to time. On the other hand Portillos beef is always very good, sometimes great, and never bad.

Same with their excellent dogs. They are really set apart by attention to detail in assembly, with just enough of everything, all neatly capped off by the pickle spear which holds everything else in place. You get a little of every ingredient in every bite at Portillos, I've only had a better dog at Poochies and Jeff's Red Hots, that's it.

I'm intrigued by your comments. Which stores do you frequent? I find Old Orchard and River North to be consistently just ok. Maybe I'm hitting the wrong locations.

=R=
  • Post #54 - July 9th, 2014, 2:28 pm
    Post #54 - July 9th, 2014, 2:28 pm Post #54 - July 9th, 2014, 2:28 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm intrigued by your comments. Which stores do you frequent? I find Old Orchard and River North to be consistently just ok. Maybe I'm hitting the wrong locations.

Let me consult the beef files...

OK, the Portillos I go to most is the River North location. I agree it is very touristy but every time I go I have a good-to-great meal.

To my taste, better beefs than Portillos can only be found at 6 places: Al's, Johnnie's, Bob O's, Bari's, Scatchell's, and Frannie's in Schiller Park.
  • Post #55 - July 9th, 2014, 2:31 pm
    Post #55 - July 9th, 2014, 2:31 pm Post #55 - July 9th, 2014, 2:31 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm intrigued by your comments. Which stores do you frequent? I find Old Orchard and River North to be consistently just ok. Maybe I'm hitting the wrong locations.

Let me consult the beef files...

OK, the Portillos I go to most is the River North location. I agree it is very touristy but every time I go I have a good-to-great meal.

To my taste, better beefs than Portillos can only be found at 6 places: Al's, Johnnie's, Bob O's, Bari's, Scatchell's, and Frannie's in Schiller Park.

LOL, love it. I'll have to give the RN shop another chance. I'm certainly around there with frquency.

As a fan, how concerned are you about prospective changes under the new ownership?

=R=
  • Post #56 - July 9th, 2014, 2:36 pm
    Post #56 - July 9th, 2014, 2:36 pm Post #56 - July 9th, 2014, 2:36 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:As a fan, how concerned are you about prospective changes under the new ownership?

=R=

Hm, not very concerned to be honest. I hesitate to geek out even more about Portillos but I think their kitchen workflow process is quite impressive. If the new owners can resist the temptation to tinker with the well oiled machine the place should do just fine.
  • Post #57 - July 9th, 2014, 2:42 pm
    Post #57 - July 9th, 2014, 2:42 pm Post #57 - July 9th, 2014, 2:42 pm
    Been going to Portillos since around 1982 or 1983 - the villa park location with my dad - fell in love with the chili dogs with cheese and onions and still crave them from time to time - not so much their beefs or anything else on the menu.

That said, would I like a Portillos out in BFE where I live? sure.

do I go to the Portillos a few blocks from my work in the burbs for lunch when craving a combo or IB? never, way too many better choices.

I wish Dick the best, Id take the money and run.
  • Post #58 - July 9th, 2014, 3:10 pm
    Post #58 - July 9th, 2014, 3:10 pm Post #58 - July 9th, 2014, 3:10 pm
    Love Dick Portillo met him a couple times randomly at his restaurants - always seemed genuinely happy to be there.

Most of my Portillo's experinece growing up was the Vernon Hills location although I had a wonderful time at the Skokie destination last night.

One more thing, I hate cheese fries, but not at Portillo's, I love Dick's fries and the piping hot side container of Velveeta/fake american cheese/near cheese/whatever goodness. Wonderful simple strip-waffled fries.

Every component of a "with everything" dog at Portillo's is near perfect.

Top 4 dog spots:
    Portillo's
    SuperDawg
    Byron's (Lawrence and like Ashland (or Damen))
    Wolfy's

BTW, good for Dick!
  • Post #59 - July 9th, 2014, 6:09 pm
    Post #59 - July 9th, 2014, 6:09 pm Post #59 - July 9th, 2014, 6:09 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:As a fan, how concerned are you about prospective changes under the new ownership?

=R=

Hm, not very concerned to be honest. I hesitate to geek out even more about Portillos but I think their kitchen workflow process is quite impressive. If the new owners can resist the temptation to tinker with the well oiled machine the place should do just fine.

The odds of them resisting are almost infinitesimal. I can't think of a single restaurant that I liked and was bought out that didn't turn to crap. They all think they have a better way of making money. They either raise the prices or scale back portion size or find cheaper vendors for their ingredients, or something. But they always have to change something because they are always smarter than the people they bought it from.
  • Post #60 - July 10th, 2014, 8:12 am
    Post #60 - July 10th, 2014, 8:12 am Post #60 - July 10th, 2014, 8:12 am
    There is truth to that. Some people just don"t understand that the enemy of best is better. I remember I used to travel to the Dallas area frequently. We would always grab lunch at Solly's, a great BBQ joint. Solly ran it for 35 years or so and then retired. He let his son take over. Closed within in a year as he tried to put his stamp on it. If it is great, how can you make it better. Portillo's has a great operation. Is it the best beef - no, but it is very good and consistent. For a multiple location chain type, that is a great model.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more