LTH Home

Portillo's selling out?

Portillo's selling out?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 8 
  • Post #211 - January 31st, 2019, 7:50 pm
    Post #211 - January 31st, 2019, 7:50 pm Post #211 - January 31st, 2019, 7:50 pm
    Missed this thread the first time around, but I'm just stunned that a Polish with hot peppers could mean a Polish with giardiniera. I have never seen or even considered such a thing.
  • Post #212 - February 8th, 2019, 10:13 pm
    Post #212 - February 8th, 2019, 10:13 pm Post #212 - February 8th, 2019, 10:13 pm
    Binko wrote:Missed this thread the first time around, but I'm just stunned that a Polish with hot peppers could mean a Polish with giardiniera. I have never seen or even considered such a thing.
    Thank. You.

    I'm going on record: Hot dogs and Polish sausage get sport peppers. Italian beef and sausage and red sauce is always giardeniera. Bratwurst can be either. Ordering a wet beef hot or a hot dog everything hot should be unambiguous in this way.

    I went to Portillo's in Niles tonight and ordered something like 'Polish sausage, Maxwell style with mustard and grilled onions and hot peppers." I got the usual outstanding Portillo's sandwich, superb grilled onions, properly steamed bun, well cooked Polish.
  • Post #213 - February 9th, 2019, 1:28 am
    Post #213 - February 9th, 2019, 1:28 am Post #213 - February 9th, 2019, 1:28 am
    BrendanR wrote:I went to Portillo's in Niles tonight and ordered something like 'Polish sausage, Maxwell style with mustard and grilled onions and hot peppers." I got the usual outstanding Portillo's sandwich, superb grilled onions, properly steamed bun, well cooked Polish.


    And no peppers (apparently).
  • Post #214 - February 9th, 2019, 11:10 am
    Post #214 - February 9th, 2019, 11:10 am Post #214 - February 9th, 2019, 11:10 am
    scottsol wrote:And no peppers (apparently).
    Whoops missed the punchline! ...& festooned with glorious (& correct) sport peppers.
  • Post #215 - February 9th, 2019, 11:50 am
    Post #215 - February 9th, 2019, 11:50 am Post #215 - February 9th, 2019, 11:50 am
    Having simple tastes, I always insist that the peppers be merely placed on the sausage rather than being festooned.
  • Post #216 - February 9th, 2019, 12:50 pm
    Post #216 - February 9th, 2019, 12:50 pm Post #216 - February 9th, 2019, 12:50 pm
    scottsol wrote:Having simple tastes, I always insist that the peppers be merely placed on the sausage rather than being festooned.
    Live a little!
  • Post #217 - February 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm
    Post #217 - February 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm Post #217 - February 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm
    scottsol wrote:Having simple tastes, I always insist that the peppers be merely placed on the sausage rather than being festooned.

    I walk the middle ground and request that the peppers adorn my Polish. A little more festive then mere placement while avoiding the frippery of festooning.
  • Post #218 - July 8th, 2019, 2:15 am
    Post #218 - July 8th, 2019, 2:15 am Post #218 - July 8th, 2019, 2:15 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Portillo’s plans to open a third Chicago restaurant this year on the city’s Northwest side as the purveyor of hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches and chocolate cake shakes continues its expansion. The restaurant will be constructed at Addison and Kimball streets, on the border between Avondale and Irving Park, on the site of what is currently a taxi repair facility and office.

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

    Well they better get moving if they plan to meet their end-of-year deadline. That cab fix-it place is still there, fully intact.
  • Post #219 - July 24th, 2019, 10:18 am
    Post #219 - July 24th, 2019, 10:18 am Post #219 - July 24th, 2019, 10:18 am
    Went to the Portillo's in the south loop recently. Had a cheeseburger, big beef dipped, cheese fries.

    Image

    Burger was pretty decent, not great but definitely not bad. The cheese was a bit weird, at first I thought they put merkt's on it but it turned out to be shredded cheddar that was largely unmelted. Still tasted fine though, the cheddar was very sharp. I believe Portillo's cooks their burgers on a sort of oven with a conveyer belt, like a mini pizza oven that places like Domino's uses, so that's why they weren't able to melt the cheese on the burger.

    Image

    Beef of course was on point. It's what they do best, really.

    Image

    Fries were fine. Crinkle cut and I'm sure comes from a bag. I'm not a fresh cut fry die-hard, if a fry is well-cooked, fresh and salted, I'm fine with it whether it comes frozen in a bag or are cut from potatoes in-house.
  • Post #220 - July 24th, 2019, 3:01 pm
    Post #220 - July 24th, 2019, 3:01 pm Post #220 - July 24th, 2019, 3:01 pm
    It's Lemon Cake season at Portillo's, so you can also get a secret menu Lemon Cake shake!
  • Post #221 - February 4th, 2020, 2:36 pm
    Post #221 - February 4th, 2020, 2:36 pm Post #221 - February 4th, 2020, 2:36 pm
    Drover wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:
    Portillo’s plans to open a third Chicago restaurant this year on the city’s Northwest side as the purveyor of hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches and chocolate cake shakes continues its expansion. The restaurant will be constructed at Addison and Kimball streets, on the border between Avondale and Irving Park, on the site of what is currently a taxi repair facility and office.

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

    Well they better get moving if they plan to meet their end-of-year deadline. That cab fix-it place is still there, fully intact.

    Portillo’s still plans to open on Chicago’s Northwest Side, just a year behind schedule

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #222 - February 4th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    Post #222 - February 4th, 2020, 2:41 pm Post #222 - February 4th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    Here's another non-paywalled version of the article: https://outline.com/EdXUVE
  • Post #223 - February 4th, 2020, 4:42 pm
    Post #223 - February 4th, 2020, 4:42 pm Post #223 - February 4th, 2020, 4:42 pm
    It sounds a little like what it took to finally open the Deerfield location. First location was abandoned for land issues by Portillo's, the second chosen was eventually rejected by the owners of Deerbrook Mall who were hoping to put a Sam's Club or Costco there (which ended up being The Dump - thrilling :roll: ). Third and final location ended up being the first choice after the land issue was resolved.
  • Post #224 - February 4th, 2020, 4:54 pm
    Post #224 - February 4th, 2020, 4:54 pm Post #224 - February 4th, 2020, 4:54 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Drover wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:
    Portillo’s plans to open a third Chicago restaurant this year on the city’s Northwest side as the purveyor of hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches and chocolate cake shakes continues its expansion. The restaurant will be constructed at Addison and Kimball streets, on the border between Avondale and Irving Park, on the site of what is currently a taxi repair facility and office.

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

    Well they better get moving if they plan to meet their end-of-year deadline. That cab fix-it place is still there, fully intact.

    Portillo’s still plans to open on Chicago’s Northwest Side, just a year behind schedule

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

    Ram4 wrote:It sounds a little like what it took to finally open the Deerfield location. First location was abandoned for land issues by Portillo's, the second chosen was eventually rejected by the owners of Deerbrook Mall who were hoping to put a Sam's Club or Costco there (which ended up being The Dump - thrilling :roll: ). Third and final location ended up being the first choice after the land issue was resolved.

    Mediocrity has a high constitution.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #225 - May 21st, 2020, 9:27 am
    Post #225 - May 21st, 2020, 9:27 am Post #225 - May 21st, 2020, 9:27 am
    Drover wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:
    Portillo’s plans to open a third Chicago restaurant this year on the city’s Northwest side as the purveyor of hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches and chocolate cake shakes continues its expansion. The restaurant will be constructed at Addison and Kimball streets, on the border between Avondale and Irving Park, on the site of what is currently a taxi repair facility and office.

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

    Well they better get moving if they plan to meet their end-of-year deadline. That cab fix-it place is still there, fully intact.


    Progress:

    https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2020/ ... all-avenue
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #226 - Yesterday, 11:38 am
    Post #226 - Yesterday, 11:38 am Post #226 - Yesterday, 11:38 am
    Coming soon to Springfield = https://www.sj-r.com/news/20200528/port ... pringfield
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #227 - Yesterday, 12:24 pm
    Post #227 - Yesterday, 12:24 pm Post #227 - Yesterday, 12:24 pm
    It will be interesting to see how these buildouts go. The company has huge debt (something like $550 million for a company with 60ish stores) because the private equity guys that own it have been looting it, so not sure how long until they run out of $$$.

    -Will
  • Post #228 - Yesterday, 1:14 pm
    Post #228 - Yesterday, 1:14 pm Post #228 - Yesterday, 1:14 pm
    WillG wrote:It will be interesting to see how these buildouts go. The company has huge debt (something like $550 million for a company with 60ish stores) because the private equity guys that own it have been looting it, so not sure how long until they run out of $$$.

    -Will


    And I think I was told that Dick Portillo sold to these equity guys, but kept ownership of the real estate, so he's still going to get his.
  • Post #229 - Yesterday, 1:36 pm
    Post #229 - Yesterday, 1:36 pm Post #229 - Yesterday, 1:36 pm
    jnm123 wrote:
    WillG wrote:It will be interesting to see how these buildouts go. The company has huge debt (something like $550 million for a company with 60ish stores) because the private equity guys that own it have been looting it, so not sure how long until they run out of $$$.

    -Will


    And I think I was told that Dick Portillo sold to these equity guys, but kept ownership of the real estate, so he's still going to get his.

    Not necessarily. If the tenant operators cannot or will not pay rent, or cease operations, or file for (some forms) bankruptcy, then no. He'll have vacant, specialized-use properties in what is likely to be a brutal real estate market.

    Also, they've expanded the number of stores greatly since the sale. Do you know if DP has any piece of the post-sale real estate?

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #230 - Yesterday, 4:47 pm
    Post #230 - Yesterday, 4:47 pm Post #230 - Yesterday, 4:47 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Do you know if DP has any piece of the post-sale real estate?

    =R=


    Several months after he sold the business he bought back the real estate and entered into a deal to purchase future sites as well. Gotta have a little passive income to supplement his Social Security checks.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more