LTH Home

In-on Thai - Uptown [was Lakeview]

In-on Thai - Uptown [was Lakeview]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 6
  • Post #121 - January 21st, 2020, 6:44 pm
    Post #121 - January 21st, 2020, 6:44 pm Post #121 - January 21st, 2020, 6:44 pm
    cilantro wrote:Also Google Maps should be updated, as it will stubbornly direct you to the old location.

Nothing new to add to all the raves, but a recent visit found a completely empty restaurant (eventually, one other table was occupied). I don’t know how good this location is but hope they can make it.
    You just mentioned 2 things that occurred on my first (and only, so far) pickup order post-reopening a couple weeks ago. It was a Saturday at 8.40pm when I arrived, and there was nobody inside. I tried to be positive explaining that Google Maps had a problem (I knew where I was going, but they peg the place as its former location, but have the correct 4641 address written for the restaurant), hopefully that could be fixed, don't want it to hurt business. Green curry, fish with jungle salad and spareribs were all decent. Really wish nam pla prik or a similar dipping sauce came with the spareribs though.

I'll be back, despite the annoying no-easy-way drive.
  • Post #122 - January 22nd, 2020, 10:22 am
    Post #122 - January 22nd, 2020, 10:22 am Post #122 - January 22nd, 2020, 10:22 am
    I just submitted a Google Maps request to update the pin location to the 4641 N Broadway area instead of the old location in Lakeview.
  • Post #123 - January 22nd, 2020, 12:14 pm
    Post #123 - January 22nd, 2020, 12:14 pm Post #123 - January 22nd, 2020, 12:14 pm
    bweiny wrote:Green curry, fish with jungle salad and spareribs were all decent.

Interesting... I'd describe the fish with salad as "amazingly good", but it sounds like your experience was less than thrilling.

lodasi wrote:I just submitted a Google Maps request to update the pin location to the 4641 N Broadway area instead of the old location in Lakeview.

Thanks! I did, too -- hope it works.
  • Post #124 - January 22nd, 2020, 12:51 pm
    Post #124 - January 22nd, 2020, 12:51 pm Post #124 - January 22nd, 2020, 12:51 pm
    I also loved the jungle curry. I've been thinking about how to recreate at home. I think there are pieces of calamansi in there amongst many other aromatics.
  • Post #125 - January 22nd, 2020, 1:51 pm
    Post #125 - January 22nd, 2020, 1:51 pm Post #125 - January 22nd, 2020, 1:51 pm
    cilantro wrote:Interesting... I'd describe the fish with salad as "amazingly good", but it sounds like your experience was less than thrilling.
    I don't want to sell In-On short. The fish with jungle salad was the best of the three dishes, no doubt. The weak points were how thin the pieces of fish were, despite being understandable as a means to a crispy texture, and the lack of heat to accompany the sweetness. The heavy lean on green apple was an innovative touch, just wish they put some (more?) thai chilies in there. Also, to clarify, I don't know why it's called jungle salad, but there doesn't seem to be any link to the flavors of the coconut milk free jungle curry (kaeng pa), which I ironically have my eye on for my next order.
  • Post #126 - January 22nd, 2020, 2:35 pm
    Post #126 - January 22nd, 2020, 2:35 pm Post #126 - January 22nd, 2020, 2:35 pm
    bweiny wrote:The weak points were how thin the pieces of fish were, despite being understandable as a means to a crispy texture, and the lack of heat to accompany the sweetness. The heavy lean on green apple was an innovative touch, just wish they put some (more?) thai chilies in there.

I love In-on Thai's jungle salad, the thin crisp texture is a plus in my book. Far as heat, I'm guessing you are but a polite request away to amp up the Thai chili factor in the dish.

bweiny wrote: Really wish nam pla prik or a similar dipping sauce came with the spareribs though..

I often request prik nam pla at Thai restaurants, including In-on Thai.

bweiny wrote: Also, to clarify, I don't know why it's called jungle salad,

Far as the name, Jungle Salad, no idea but if you asked I bet they would tell you. Or at least make up a good story on the spot. :)
    Last edited by G Wiv on January 23rd, 2020, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #127 - January 22nd, 2020, 4:23 pm
    Post #127 - January 22nd, 2020, 4:23 pm Post #127 - January 22nd, 2020, 4:23 pm
    I received an email from Google Maps that my pin location update has been published, so hopefully that will clear up any GPS issues.
  • Post #128 - February 1st, 2020, 11:11 am
    Post #128 - February 1st, 2020, 11:11 am Post #128 - February 1st, 2020, 11:11 am
    In-On Thai Uptown with a group, abundance of wonderfulness, off/new menu item stood out, punchy flavorful moist Sai Oua. Fifth time at the new iteration of In-On, started strong and picking up speed.
    InOnBradP2.jpg In-On Thai, Sai Oua

In-On Thai, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #129 - February 1st, 2020, 12:26 pm
    Post #129 - February 1st, 2020, 12:26 pm Post #129 - February 1st, 2020, 12:26 pm
    lodasi wrote:I received an email from Google Maps that my pin location update has been published, so hopefully that will clear up any GPS issues.
    Still hasn't been changed according to my Google Maps. It really bothers me how powerful they are relative to these small businesses, and the little guy may suffer from Goliath's own incompetence.
  • Post #130 - February 4th, 2020, 8:30 am
    Post #130 - February 4th, 2020, 8:30 am Post #130 - February 4th, 2020, 8:30 am
    em24666 wrote:The kitchen also sent out a very cornstarchy shrimp omelet dish served with sriracha as a birthday gift which ended up being one of my favorite dishes of the evening. It was described as "Chinese food" and the loose version of a Thai mussel omelet, if that helps your imagination. Very pleasurable snotlike omelet encasing delicately cooked shrimp which act as kind of the snappy composed version of the cornstarch & egg slurry. The sriracha is the Thai variety, which is to say looser, more acidic, and my preference. It really makes the dish.

A delicious dish perfectly described as "snotlike"
    InOnThaiP67.jpg Viscous shrimp omelet.

Another wonderful In-On meal last evening, they continue to knock it out of the park. I'm obsessed.

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #131 - February 5th, 2020, 5:40 pm
    Post #131 - February 5th, 2020, 5:40 pm Post #131 - February 5th, 2020, 5:40 pm
    First visit last night and I loved it. Was solo, so only tried two dishes, chicken larb and the Thai green curry fried rice with tofu. Love eggplants, including the small Thai green ones.

Didn't ask me about the heat, and it was great, but close to my comfort limit. I know that would be over many people's limit, so if you can't handle the heat, you may want to ask to tone it back a bit.

It was very quiet, but I was kind of early wanting to get to Tuesday Funk at The Hopleaf ~ 7.

Very friendly service. I made sure to name drop LTH and the owner told me "you should have come last night with Chef Gary and Doug!" I told him Gary must have lost my contact info :lol: .

Can't wait to return and try more dishes. Thanks to the board, a great find.
  • Post #132 - February 5th, 2020, 7:06 pm
    Post #132 - February 5th, 2020, 7:06 pm Post #132 - February 5th, 2020, 7:06 pm
    Al Ehrhardt wrote: I told him Gary must have lost my contact info :lol:

Al, I don't think I have your contact info.

I wanted to mention one additional In-On Thai dish, Mee Krob, which I almost never order as I find it overly sweet. In-On's version is fantastic, lightly sweet, crispy, sticky, point/counterpoint balance of flavor. Don mentioned they simmer tamarind, palm sugar and a couple of other ingredients for 8-10 hours for mee krob. I've had In-On's mee krob twice in the last week, first at the suggestion of BR, and a great suggestion it was.

Edit to add, I just noticed slivers of lime peel in the mee krob, In-On really knows how to amp up flavor.

InOnP21.jpg In-On Thai Mee Krob

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #133 - March 9th, 2020, 8:16 pm
    Post #133 - March 9th, 2020, 8:16 pm Post #133 - March 9th, 2020, 8:16 pm
    Another lonely, delicious meal at In-on Thai. Tried the green bean salad recommended upthread and it was excellent, though I will specify spicy next time. Unlike some of the above posters, on my visits the default heat level seems to be "not" and I keep forgetting to ask.

The restaurant was once again deserted. The location isn't doing them any favors....
  • Post #134 - March 24th, 2020, 7:22 pm
    Post #134 - March 24th, 2020, 7:22 pm Post #134 - March 24th, 2020, 7:22 pm
    Coronavirus Entryway In-On Thai smaller.jpg

In-on Thai is open for carryout. They've got an easy set up for picking up food and the food is as great as ever. I do think they've changed the default to less spicy which, given the previous go-to heat level and the average American palate, is probably a smart business decision even if it means I have to remember to request mine spicy. I can think of no restaurant that needs our collective support than these guys. Such nice people and such good food.
  • Post #135 - June 21st, 2020, 8:11 pm
    Post #135 - June 21st, 2020, 8:11 pm Post #135 - June 21st, 2020, 8:11 pm
    In-On Thai pickup tonight, its amazing how much I've missed their food. Ordered way too much Green Chicken Curry with Thai eggplant the highlight. Intense aroma, herby complex curry, simply incredible. Don and Inon radiated good cheer and their social distancing pickup game is strong.

Don mentioned, though I'm not going to say who, that a frequent customer and LTHer has made multiple large orders to be delivered to a local hospital. I tip my hat to their thoughtful generosity.

Green Chicken Curry with Thai eggplant

Inon, Don, of In-On Thai

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #136 - June 25th, 2020, 5:33 am
    Post #136 - June 25th, 2020, 5:33 am Post #136 - June 25th, 2020, 5:33 am
    Don had mentioned In-On had a off-menu request for bamboo with pork, herbs wrapped banana leaf. He thought he would make a larger batch and gauge response with the thought of putting it on the menu. Myself and a few other regulars were offered a friends and family sample.

Spectacular, complex, slightly funky, herby, our neighbor, with who we shared dinner, used the word crescendo as in it started out mild and deceptively neutral building to a crescendo as one chewed, tasted and released flavors. Sticky rice included, the perfect foil for the flavor filled banana leaf wraps. Banana leaf wraps tasted even better the next day.

Our neighbor ordered a number of dishes, which we also shared, highlight fried fish with curry/In-On Fish. Don and Inon included mango/sticky rice and a small chunk of fresh durian. I've had durian before but never really fresh. I now understand why durian is called King of fruits.

Speaking of fruits, a few days ago I picked up prepared mango and sticky rice from Talard Thai Market, was just ok. Packaged with two whole slightly stringy skin-on mangoes, hard as a rock hinting at sweet sticky rice and half ounce of salt bomb sweetened coconut cream. This is in stark contrast to the perfectly prepared/presented mango and sticky rice from In-on. Night and day difference.

I could go for 500 more words how much I love and appreciate the culinary skill, care and thoughtfulness of Don, Inon and family. Suffice to say, In-On Thai, Count me a Fan!

Image Image Image Image
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #137 - July 10th, 2020, 2:13 am
    Post #137 - July 10th, 2020, 2:13 am Post #137 - July 10th, 2020, 2:13 am
    I love Don, Inon, mother in-law and daughter. I want to take them to Disneyland and watch them laugh and smile. Not only is their food terrific, they are genuinely nice people making the very best of odd times.

Its my B-day and I over ordered, 5-people, enough for ten plus birthday lagniappe including Inon's treat of house-made sticky rice/mango cake with durian coconut cream, Kaeng tai pla (fermented fish gut curry) which I love, drop dead gorgeous tapioca balls filled with peanut and pork, stir fried glass noodle with bamboo and prik nam pla. These were off menu, I also ordered some of the usual suspect including Tom Kha Kai, spicy, made with bone-in chicken wings, a delicious variation. We also had a tip-top chocolate cake from Portillo's.
    Nothing says excess like excess.

A magical meal eaten with the bride, neighbors and Charlie the dog looking lovingly at my every move waiting for a morsel to "slip" from my fingers.

Getting old is not for sissies, but sometimes its not so bad.

InOn Thai, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #138 - July 10th, 2020, 9:14 am
    Post #138 - July 10th, 2020, 9:14 am Post #138 - July 10th, 2020, 9:14 am
    G Wiv wrote:Getting old is not for sissies, but sometimes its not so bad.

True and it certainly beats the alternative. :lol: Happy birthday, you old f*ck3r!

Looks like an awesome meal.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #139 - July 16th, 2020, 11:29 am
    Post #139 - July 16th, 2020, 11:29 am Post #139 - July 16th, 2020, 11:29 am
    Great column by Mike Sula about In On Thai in today's Reader:

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/i ... d=81348597
  • Post #140 - July 16th, 2020, 6:28 pm
    Post #140 - July 16th, 2020, 6:28 pm Post #140 - July 16th, 2020, 6:28 pm
    deesher wrote:Great column by Mike Sula about In On Thai in today's Reader:

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/i ... d=81348597

Very few places fill my heart like In-On. Thank you for sharing. I'm dumbfounded I've never had this pork salad and I need to fix that asap.
  • Post #141 - November 24th, 2020, 8:48 am
    Post #141 - November 24th, 2020, 8:48 am Post #141 - November 24th, 2020, 8:48 am
    Had another take away meal from In On Saturday night. I decided to try a few things that I don't usually order to see if I was missing anything. I also ordered a dish or two extra, because I love the In On leftovers.

We had menu items #5, 12, 25, 27, and 38 or Bamboo Shoots with Chicken in red curry, Beef with Homemade Chili Paste, Bean Thread Noodle Salad, Green Bean Salad and Crispy Fish with Jungle Salad.

Every dish was excellent and extremely flavorful. I couldn't pick a favorite if I tried. The attention to detail is also much appreciated, like the way they package the crispy fish in a box separately from the salad so it stays crispy. I still prefer eating there, but I'm going to order take away again very soon. I feel like I haven't been doing nearly enough to support this place.
  • Post #142 - November 24th, 2020, 9:43 am
    Post #142 - November 24th, 2020, 9:43 am Post #142 - November 24th, 2020, 9:43 am
    deesher wrote:I feel like I haven't been doing nearly enough to support this place.

I feel exactly the same way. In-on Thai, count me a Fan!

You meal sounds wonderful and, yes, agree, in addition to wonderful on the plate their packaging is tip top tier.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #143 - December 30th, 2020, 9:11 am
    Post #143 - December 30th, 2020, 9:11 am Post #143 - December 30th, 2020, 9:11 am
    Trying to resist a straight-up hyperbole gush. I adore InOn Thai's food, love Don & Inon, want to dance in the rain while eating Crispy fish with jungle salad.

Four of us over ordered with the intention of delicious leftovers, mission accomplished. New to me dish, fermented fish with bamboo, hit all the right notes, perfect amount of fermented fish funk.

I plan on a few InOn dishes to round out our New Years offerings, can't think of a better way to ring in the new year than with InOn Thai.

Run don't walk to InOn Thai, they could use the business and your palate, brain, heart and tummy will thank you.

click to enlarge

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #144 - December 30th, 2020, 2:27 pm
    Post #144 - December 30th, 2020, 2:27 pm Post #144 - December 30th, 2020, 2:27 pm
    G Wiv wrote:New to me dish, fermented fish with bamboo, hit all the right notes, perfect amount of fermented fish funk.

I plan on a few InOn dishes to round out our New Years offerings, can't think of a better way to ring in the new year than with InOn Thai.
    I'm jealous of your ordering power/reckless abandon, I've only been getting 2-3 dishes per trip, but everything has been well worth the trip. Give the Green Bean Salad a chance if you're looking for some heat (I can't recall if asked for it extra hot or I had the default, sorry) with a crisp texture among their salads.

I don't see the fermented fish on their online menu, may be worth a request over the phone. I hope they don't run out of food from your blitz tomorrow night. I'm planning on picking up a few dishes (unintentionally very fish focused with Todd Mun, Fish with Young Pepper and maybe the fermented option) to eat while watching the college football playoff after Northwestern's game on Friday.
  • Post #145 - April 17th, 2021, 8:32 am
    Post #145 - April 17th, 2021, 8:32 am Post #145 - April 17th, 2021, 8:32 am
    InOn Thai takeout. New to me, crispy fish with young pepper. Balanced punchy heat, right up my alley. I continue to be an InOn Thai SuperFan or, as the cool kids say, FanBoi.

Sidecar of Pik Nam Pla to amp up a bit. I order medium so the bride doesn't hit me with a frying pan for burning her tongue. :)

click to enlarge

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #146 - July 11th, 2021, 12:35 pm
    Post #146 - July 11th, 2021, 12:35 pm Post #146 - July 11th, 2021, 12:35 pm
    I'm very happy to let you know that it is my understanding that In On Thai will reopen for indoor dining on Friday, July 16.

This has been a public service announcement.
  • Post #147 - July 17th, 2021, 4:23 pm
    Post #147 - July 17th, 2021, 4:23 pm Post #147 - July 17th, 2021, 4:23 pm
    deesher wrote:I'm very happy to let you know that it is my understanding that In On Thai will reopen for indoor dining on Friday, July 16.

Taking heart to this wonderful news 6 of us went to InOn Thai Friday for dinner. Spectacular, heart warming, soul satisfying. InOn takeout is grand, dine-in ethereal. New to me dish of stink beans (sataw) with pork, hot pepper and bamboo was terrific.

Thanks Deesher for both the heads up and company. BR was one table over, nice to see him in the flesh. The ever delightful Mike Sula stopped for a pickup order, InOn is a hotbed of the food centric. I only hope, wish, they go full steam ahead with the general populace.

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #148 - August 17th, 2021, 8:14 am
    Post #148 - August 17th, 2021, 8:14 am Post #148 - August 17th, 2021, 8:14 am
    I'm very bummed, was planning on a great dinner at In On Thai this Sat night but owner just mentioned he has closed in-person dining due to rising Covid cases.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #149 - November 16th, 2021, 3:10 pm
    Post #149 - November 16th, 2021, 3:10 pm Post #149 - November 16th, 2021, 3:10 pm
    I'm pleased to let you know that In On Thai will be reopening the dining room on Friday, November 19 at 4:00 PM. As thoughtful as their take away has been, I still prefer dining in by a wide margin.

Cheers!
  • Post #150 - March 25th, 2022, 7:33 pm
    Post #150 - March 25th, 2022, 7:33 pm Post #150 - March 25th, 2022, 7:33 pm
    After a brief closure this winter, the dining room is open again at In-On Thai. The place was bustling tonight but it’s been inconsistent of late. So if you’re craving the best damn Thai food in the city, stop in.

Pad prik khing (green beans and red curry paste on the menu), jungle salad, and crispy pork salad were all insanely good tonight. Worth going for the dishes that didn’t travel as well during the pandemic.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more