LTH Home

Nomad Food Co - Jared Batson - mobile, wood-fired pizza, etc

Nomad Food Co - Jared Batson - mobile, wood-fired pizza, etc
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Nomad Food Co - Jared Batson - mobile, wood-fired pizza, etc

Post #1 - November 2nd, 2014, 9:10 pm
    Post #1 - November 2nd, 2014, 9:10 pm Post #1 - November 2nd, 2014, 9:10 pm
    Nomad Food Company is a mobile, wood-fired oven (and more) owned and operated by Jared Batson, who I've known for several years, ever since he cooked on the line at Prairie Grass Cafe in Northbrook. A couple years ago, he set out on his own and is now running Nomad which, as its name suggests, travels all over the city and suburbs (and beyond) doing events with its mobile wood-fired oven. Nomad was also doing a residency at the Green City Market during their outdoor season this year, which ended last week when the market moved indoors for the winter.

I was fortunate to have eaten their pizza a few times this past August - once at a party and the other time at a fundraiser held by the Green City Market's Junior Board that took place at Sportsmans Club.

Party - 14.0816
    Sarah Stegner and Jared Batson

Menu Of The Day
    Hard to choose just one . . .

Additional Information
    One of the things that makes Nomad so special is that they pay very close attention to where they source their ingredients, getting most everything from farmers and artisanal producers in the nearby area. On this day, ingredients from Underground Meats in Madison, WI were being featured prominently.

Elotes In Waiting

Elotes

Tools Of The Trade

Nomad's Logo

Wild Mushroom & Black Truffle Pizza
    Not on the menu this day but Jared made a few of these and they were just awesome.

Fundraiser For LINK program - Green City Market Junior Board - Sportsmans Club - 14.0828
    Nomad's Rig

Fire In The Hole

Chef/Owner Jared Batson tends to the pizzas

Garnishing the Fired-Roasted Tomato pizza (blistered cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, scallion, red sauce, baby arugula) for service

Garnishing the Fired-Roasted Tomato pizza (blistered cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, scallion, red sauce, baby arugula) for service

Say Cheese!

Fired-Roasted Tomato pizza (blistered cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, scallion, red sauce, baby arugula)

"Green Machine" (braised kale, chard, beet and turnip greens, onion jam, mozzarella, broccoli flowers) - Out Of The Oven And Still Bubbling

"Green Machine" getting sliced

"Green Machine," garnished and ready for service

"Turn up the Beet" (roasted bulls blood beets, scallions, mozzarella, chèvre, fresh parsley, mint)

Sliced And Headed Out For Service

Patio At Sportsmans Club
    A view from the back window.

Sportsmans Club
    Lining up for delicious cocktails.

Special Cocktail
    This was one of two special cocktails created for the event (by the folks at Sportsmans, not Nomad). Both specials incorporated items available at the Green City Market.

I'm really sorry I missed Nomad at the GCM this season (rain wiped out an unusually high number of planned visits) but I hope to make it a regular thing in 2015. In the meantime, I'll stay tuned into their schedule and try to hit any events that are available before the winter/off-season comes. Their pizza is truly special and most definitely worth a trek.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - March 25th, 2017, 9:47 pm
    Post #2 - March 25th, 2017, 9:47 pm Post #2 - March 25th, 2017, 9:47 pm
    I just wanted to update that Nomad is, bittersweetly -- at least for the foreseeable future -- no more. Jared sold the oven a few months back and has moved on, as nomads are wont to do. One piece of very good news is that before it was all said and done, Nomad Food Company won a 2017 Jean Banchet award for Best Alternative Dining, which is an impressive accomplishment. Jared is now working for a former mentor at Cooper's Hawk Winery, so still very much local.

The other good news is that he's passed the torch (or the oven, so to speak) to Our House Pizza and its proprietor/chef/baker Rachel Post, who will be stationed at the Green City Market when it begins its outdoor season on May 6th.

Rachel has been doing pop-ups and other local events as Our House for a couple of years but before then, she was at Floriole Bakery and Cafe, including during the time when they were hosting twice-weekly pizza dinners there. So, there's obviously and exceptional pedigree there.

Since I haven't had Our House's pizza, I'm going to hold off on starting a new thread but hopefully, someone will do so as soon as they're so inclined.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - March 25th, 2017, 10:01 pm
    Post #3 - March 25th, 2017, 10:01 pm Post #3 - March 25th, 2017, 10:01 pm
    Like Great Lake, I still miss pizza at Floriole. I am excited that great pizza will continue.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more