LTH Home

Shake Shack Chicago

Shake Shack Chicago
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - January 28th, 2017, 11:44 pm
    Post #61 - January 28th, 2017, 11:44 pm Post #61 - January 28th, 2017, 11:44 pm

... and only iOS. Bastards. :(
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #62 - January 29th, 2017, 2:02 pm
    Post #62 - January 29th, 2017, 2:02 pm Post #62 - January 29th, 2017, 2:02 pm
    I was at Shake Shack in Skokie the other day. Was shocked to see it half empty. Every time I have been there it's been a madhouse. I downloaded the app and got a free hamburger, but I also wanted the chicken sandwich. Both were very good, though I think their prices are a little high.
  • Post #63 - January 29th, 2017, 4:09 pm
    Post #63 - January 29th, 2017, 4:09 pm Post #63 - January 29th, 2017, 4:09 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:

... and only iOS. Bastards. :(

Well at least it helps explain the ridiculously long lines of people waiting for "meh" product. :)
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #64 - March 7th, 2017, 1:57 pm
    Post #64 - March 7th, 2017, 1:57 pm Post #64 - March 7th, 2017, 1:57 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I was at Shake Shack in Skokie the other day. Was shocked to see it half empty. Every time I have been there it's been a madhouse. I downloaded the app and got a free hamburger, but I also wanted the chicken sandwich. Both were very good, though I think their prices are a little high.

I went to the downtown Shake Shack for lunch today. I have been there before and was underwhelmed, not necessarily about the product, but more so the value, or lack thereof, but figured I would give it another shot. To say the prices are a little high is a bit of an understatement. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a vanilla malt. Total cost $20.59.

The burger was tasty don't get me wrong, but worth $10? Is it worth $2 more than Epic burger, 5-Guys, Culvers, and some of the others? Is it worth $4 more than a double cheeseburger at Portillos? The fries are $2.99 for basic food service fries, same product at Portillos is $1.69. Fresh cut fries at 5-guys are a buck more for twice the amount. Finally $5.79 for a regular sized malt. Malt was good, not out of this world, but acceptable, I can get a better shake at Oberweis, Culvers and other places for much less and not have to pay extra for whipped cream or to make it a malt.

My problem is not with the food itself , all items are decent quality and tasty, but the premium price being paid with all the other options available makes it pretty much a non-starter in most cases.
  • Post #65 - March 7th, 2017, 3:14 pm
    Post #65 - March 7th, 2017, 3:14 pm Post #65 - March 7th, 2017, 3:14 pm
    I personally like Epic Burger of all the higher end burger chains. Recently they upgraded their fountain drinks from the basic Pepsi choices, and now serve higher end Pepsi and Izze sodas.
  • Post #66 - March 7th, 2017, 4:00 pm
    Post #66 - March 7th, 2017, 4:00 pm Post #66 - March 7th, 2017, 4:00 pm
    thetrob wrote:To say the prices are a little high is a bit of an understatement.

Any idea whether or not the prices downtown are the same as at their suburban location in Skokie?
  • Post #67 - March 7th, 2017, 4:03 pm
    Post #67 - March 7th, 2017, 4:03 pm Post #67 - March 7th, 2017, 4:03 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    thetrob wrote:To say the prices are a little high is a bit of an understatement.

Any idea whether or not the prices downtown are the same as at their suburban location in Skokie?

Looking at the menus posted (and printable) on their website, prices at Old Orchard and Chicago Athletic Association are identical.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #68 - March 7th, 2017, 11:08 pm
    Post #68 - March 7th, 2017, 11:08 pm Post #68 - March 7th, 2017, 11:08 pm
    Not a Shake Shack apologist by any means (I've only ever eaten at the original and not for many years now), but some of those comparisons (Culver's, Portillo's, etc.) are unfair. Shake Shack sources ethically-raised meat (or at least claims to) and makes a point of paying their employees above minimum wage, in some cases substantially so. The final product may still not be worth it to you, but do understand that they are at least trying to be more responsible than your run-of-the-mill chain.
  • Post #69 - March 8th, 2017, 10:51 am
    Post #69 - March 8th, 2017, 10:51 am Post #69 - March 8th, 2017, 10:51 am
    cilantro wrote:Not a Shake Shack apologist by any means (I've only ever eaten at the original and not for many years now), but some of those comparisons (Culver's, Portillo's, etc.) are unfair. Shake Shack sources ethically-raised meat (or at least claims to) and makes a point of paying their employees above minimum wage, in some cases substantially so. The final product may still not be worth it to you, but do understand that they are at least trying to be more responsible than your run-of-the-mill chain.

I do think that is a good point and I have linked their page detailing their ethical stance however I do understand the surprise when you order a burger, fries, and shake and are looking at $20 or so. Taking a family out for burgers/etc. could be pulling towards $80-$100 which is a lot IMO.

https://www.shakeshack.com/2015/12/17/s ... ised-pork/
    “There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi
  • Post #70 - March 8th, 2017, 2:19 pm
    Post #70 - March 8th, 2017, 2:19 pm Post #70 - March 8th, 2017, 2:19 pm
    Busghetti wrote:
    cilantro wrote:Not a Shake Shack apologist by any means (I've only ever eaten at the original and not for many years now), but some of those comparisons (Culver's, Portillo's, etc.) are unfair. Shake Shack sources ethically-raised meat (or at least claims to) and makes a point of paying their employees above minimum wage, in some cases substantially so. The final product may still not be worth it to you, but do understand that they are at least trying to be more responsible than your run-of-the-mill chain.

I do think that is a good point and I have linked their page detailing their ethical stance however I do understand the surprise when you order a burger, fries, and shake and are looking at $20 or so. Taking a family out for burgers/etc. could be pulling towards $80-$100 which is a lot IMO.

I agree. I go to Shake Shack seldom, and only when I can't deflect a group that really wants to go there. I find the burgers boring, the fries insipid, and she shakes wildly over priced. I get all the sourcing and living wage stuff. But, for what they're charging I expect at least fries that are from fresh potatoes hand cut at the location and carefully fried to perfection, not standard issue food service. I've never understood the hype.
  • Post #71 - March 8th, 2017, 4:05 pm
    Post #71 - March 8th, 2017, 4:05 pm Post #71 - March 8th, 2017, 4:05 pm
    chicagojim wrote:
    Busghetti wrote:

I agree. I go to Shake Shack seldom, and only when I can't deflect a group that really wants to go there. I find the burgers boring, the fries insipid, and she shakes wildly over priced. I get all the sourcing and living wage stuff. But, for what they're charging I expect at least fries that are from fresh potatoes hand cut at the location and carefully fried to perfection, not standard issue food service. I've never understood the hype.

Exactly. Sustainably sourced ingredients, employees paid above industry standard, etc. are all well and good, but that also means that you need to separate yourself from the sector in which you are competing in, and Shake Shack just doesn't. It obviously aims at a different demographic than McDonalds or Burger King, so no comparison there, but the "premium burger chains" that could be considered its competitors such as 5 guys, in and out, whataburger, epic burger, bobbys burger palace, and others are all at price points that are less if not significantly so and each of them tends to offer better options at some or all of the menu items, such as hand cut fries, more topping options, larger portions, whatever. Charging a premium price for products that are not premium (fries, shakes) or for add-ons that you are not charged for elsewhere IMO is just not worth it. As busghetti intimated above, that $5+ extra per diner adds up pretty quick when you take a family out, and if I'm gonna spend $100+ on burgers/fries/shakes there needs to be something special there and there just isn't. To each his own
  • Post #72 - March 8th, 2017, 10:37 pm
    Post #72 - March 8th, 2017, 10:37 pm Post #72 - March 8th, 2017, 10:37 pm
    I am not one to order fries or a shake and when I stop it is for a burger.

I enjoy it well enough and I am glad it is not an only choice for lunch.

In a long rotation, maybe once a year, and that will not break the bank.

I remember complaining about how expensive a rotisserie chicken ($12!) was at a certain restaurant compared to one from Jewel and was reminded sometimes you have to look beyond the price.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #73 - September 29th, 2022, 11:00 pm
    Post #73 - September 29th, 2022, 11:00 pm Post #73 - September 29th, 2022, 11:00 pm
    Was in Oak Brook with just enough time for a quick stop at Shake Shack, which was on my route (spied it as I was driving). I'd only been to any Shake Shack once before, in 2016, and remember it being enjoyable enough . . .

Double Shack Burger & Fries

Not bad, not great. Patties themselves needed salt. Fries were better than they looked. They appeared undercooked but were actually crispy outside and fluffy inside. I liked the griddled notes of the burger but as a whole, it was relatively flavorless, probably due to lack of salt. Definitely not cheap, either. Two of the above and two drinks came in at just over $35. :shock:

In the 6+ years since my last visit, smash burgers have become even more ubiquitous and Shake Shack has undergone the kind of expansion that couldn't have likely produced any other result but overpriced, just-okay food. If this is the price we have to pay so fast-food workers can earn a living wage, so be it but I really hope this isn't the best we have to look forward to.

=R=
  • Post #74 - September 30th, 2022, 6:35 am
    Post #74 - September 30th, 2022, 6:35 am Post #74 - September 30th, 2022, 6:35 am
    About a year ago, I read an article on the increase in the number of places that expect the customer to tip. The article had a quote from a Shake Shack rep that the company pays well and does not expect its customers to tip. That philosophy seems to have reversed.
  • Post #75 - September 30th, 2022, 10:09 am
    Post #75 - September 30th, 2022, 10:09 am Post #75 - September 30th, 2022, 10:09 am
    lougord99 wrote:About a year ago, I read an article on the increase in the number of places that expect the customer to tip. The article had a quote from a Shake Shack rep that the company pays well and does not expect its customers to tip. That philosophy seems to have reversed.

When paying with plastic, there's no way to complete the transaction without making a decision about whether to tip or not. Iirc, the amount does default to zero but it still needs to be acknowledged or adjusted before proceeding. So, I'd say there's a pretty clear expectation that a tip will be part of the transaction.

=R=
  • Post #76 - September 30th, 2022, 10:14 am
    Post #76 - September 30th, 2022, 10:14 am Post #76 - September 30th, 2022, 10:14 am
    This has nothing at all to do with Shake Shack, but relates to Ron's comment. A couple recent visits to local owned counter serve places, the counter person has quickly poked the card reader to move past the tip screen with 0 tip. Not exactly sure why, I probably would have pitched in a buck or two. Maybe they really want to not fish for tips but the software doesn't have that option? Neither had a cash tip jar either.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more