LTH Home

Diner's Journal - west suburbs

Diner's Journal - west suburbs
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 9
  • Post #151 - July 21st, 2016, 6:27 pm
    Post #151 - July 21st, 2016, 6:27 pm Post #151 - July 21st, 2016, 6:27 pm
    bobbywal wrote:Eating quite a bit of this lately, the masala dosa from Chutney's in Brookdale. It's a pretty unassuming tiffin house connected to a smallish Indian grocery store. This is a very nice lunch.

dosa.jpg

I've also had a surprisingly good pizza at the new place next door to Chutney's, Nature's Best Cafe.

I grew up in Naperville and my oldest sister's first apartment was apparently in "Brookdale" but I never heard it referred to as it's own place before.

Chutneys
    1904 Brookdale Rd # 128
    Naperville, IL 60563
    (630) 355-8229

Nature's Best Cafe
    1904 Brookdale Rd
    Naperville, IL 60563
    (630) 778-1081
  • Post #152 - July 22nd, 2016, 9:31 am
    Post #152 - July 22nd, 2016, 9:31 am Post #152 - July 22nd, 2016, 9:31 am
    I grew up in Naperville and my oldest sister's first apartment was apparently in "Brookdale" but I never heard it referred to as it's own place before.

:wink:

Sorry. Thanks for adding the actual addresses. I don't live anywhere near Naperville, but most of my co-workers do and because it is such a big place I've taken to their habit of referring to areas based largely on the "sub-division" it is near. These two places are most definitely in Naperville (but in, or at least near, the Brookdale subdivision).
  • Post #153 - July 26th, 2016, 8:15 pm
    Post #153 - July 26th, 2016, 8:15 pm Post #153 - July 26th, 2016, 8:15 pm
    "Still having a tough time finding a good dive bar - Towne Tap in Warrenville is working for now, but still not quite the divey spot I am looking for - Cheap drafts and shots. Weve done Whites in Naperville a few times, but I cant stand all the folks and their tobacco vaporizors. Johns Buffet and a couple other spots work better, but still looking for that spot."

This reply is somewhat delayed, but thought I'd throw out Nel's Tavern in Lisle for a great dive bar.... used to frequent there 20-some years ago and have been back a few times since. They've fixed it up a bit, but it's still the best dive around.... shot & beer type place and great juke box, along with a pool table & dart board. My finest memory was years ago when someone rode a horse to the tavern and tied it up outside while he came in for a few... gotta love it!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nels-old-time-inn-lisle
  • Post #154 - July 27th, 2016, 9:34 am
    Post #154 - July 27th, 2016, 9:34 am Post #154 - July 27th, 2016, 9:34 am
    wineaux wrote:"Still having a tough time finding a good dive bar - Towne Tap in Warrenville is working for now, but still not quite the divey spot I am looking for - Cheap drafts and shots. Weve done Whites in Naperville a few times, but I cant stand all the folks and their tobacco vaporizors. Johns Buffet and a couple other spots work better, but still looking for that spot."

This reply is somewhat delayed, but thought I'd throw out Nel's Tavern in Lisle for a great dive bar.... used to frequent there 20-some years ago and have been back a few times since. They've fixed it up a bit, but it's still the best dive around.... shot & beer type place and great juke box, along with a pool table & dart board. My finest memory was years ago when someone rode a horse to the tavern and tied it up outside while he came in for a few... gotta love it!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nels-old-time-inn-lisle

In Lisle, there is also the Squirrel Cage Tavern.
    Squirrel Cage Tavern
    5528 Lincoln Ave (IL Rt. 53)
    Lisle, IL 60532
  • Post #155 - January 4th, 2017, 11:34 am
    Post #155 - January 4th, 2017, 11:34 am Post #155 - January 4th, 2017, 11:34 am
    I wonder if it would be worth submitting a few of these for GNR's? The GNR's seem so Chicago-centric but there are some good innovative places our in the burbs too. I'll encourage every one to try some of the places posted on here....such as Gnarly Knots, Union House, Steamboat BBQ, and GIA MIA. Gia Mia is more than pizza. Has some excellent small plates with vegetables. Also their sister restaurant, Fire and Wine is good too. The grilled Romaine salad, the zucchini, the roasted cauliflower, is yummy. Warning: There will be a line at popular times. Gnarly Knots is more than pretzels they have soups too everyday. The stuffed pretzels are huge and a meal. Try the Italian beef, or the philly steak. Check their website or facebook page for daily offerings. I'll toss out a few more places....we like Adelle's in Wheaton and the Ivy for "white table cloth" type dining. Just good eating. Another "secret" place is Danada Deli on Butterfield Road in Wheaton. Its owned by Hungarians from Transylvania, and the man cooking was trained in Europe. Their soups are superb and I am not a soup lover. In particular I will mention my favorites, split pea soup, bean soup, and cabbage soup, also pasta fazool. They have others. Their meals are good too such as the stuffed peppers and the stuffed cabbage rolls which are like no other I've had. No tomato sauce in them but so much flavor. Not cheap but good. I'd take a pass on the faux American stuff like Italian beef or sausage or hot dogs. Better places for that. I'll give a shout out to their delicious egg salad sandwiches that they serve with a cup of Soup.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #156 - January 4th, 2017, 11:58 am
    Post #156 - January 4th, 2017, 11:58 am Post #156 - January 4th, 2017, 11:58 am
    These places sound quite interesting but history suggests that the most successful GNR nominations have been for places that already have well-established track records here. Maybe you should organize an event or 2 and see if you can get some other LTHers out to try these spots.

Yes, it's a bit tougher getting the suburban places over the hump but there are several on the current list so it's certainly do-able.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #157 - January 4th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    Post #157 - January 4th, 2017, 1:17 pm Post #157 - January 4th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    Good idea Ronnie
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #158 - January 4th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    Post #158 - January 4th, 2017, 1:17 pm Post #158 - January 4th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    toria wrote:I'll encourage every one to try some of the places posted on here....such as Gnarly Knots, Union House, Steamboat BBQ, and GIA MIA.

I haven't been to all the spots you mention, but I can speak to the Winfield joints– Gnarly Knots is wildly popular in the area. I think the product is fine, though I've had much better (I question the scratch/ artisanal quality of their base dough). The soups are pretty good though and clearly home made. My wife loves the place, so she'd vote yay. Union House changed ownership over a year ago and unfortunately major downhill alert. I was very surprised how good the place was when we moved out here two years ago. But my last few trips have turned out abysmal food. A dry, grey hockey puck of a burger, for instance.

toria wrote:Another "secret" place is Danada Deli on Butterfield Road in Wheaton. Its owned by Hungarians from Transylvania, and the man cooking was trained in Europe. Their soups are superb and I am not a soup lover. In particular I will mention my favorites, split pea soup, bean soup, and cabbage soup, also pasta fazool. They have others. Their meals are good too such as the stuffed peppers and the stuffed cabbage rolls which are like no other I've had. No tomato sauce in them but so much flavor.

Now this sounds interesting. I was just over that way and wish I'd seen this earlier, I would have stopped in for lunch.
  • Post #159 - January 4th, 2017, 1:29 pm
    Post #159 - January 4th, 2017, 1:29 pm Post #159 - January 4th, 2017, 1:29 pm
    I will add another one...Babcock's Grove House in downtown Lombard on St. Charles Rd. Handcrafted burgers, salads and other interesting options. I've had the burger topped with mashed potatoes. I really liked it although some would see it as an exercise in excess. I do recommend this place especially for lunch have not been there for dinner. I will try to start some separate postings on some of these with pictures next time I go.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #160 - January 4th, 2017, 1:41 pm
    Post #160 - January 4th, 2017, 1:41 pm Post #160 - January 4th, 2017, 1:41 pm
    Haven't been to Union House for a while. If you go to Danada Deli, don't expect a charming Hungarian spot. Its a no nonsense converted White Hen type of place with no atmosphere kinda like Katy's but a little bigger. They have what is on the menu for the day and not much else but sandwiches that they make there fresh and some pastries. Some things won't shine like the chicken noodle soup. Plain, well made but boring in my opinion. You can order food or soup and eat it in the room on the side where there are tables or you can take it to go. Also with their more popular fare, it sells out quickly so make sure to go there at lunch and not later as when its gone, its gone.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #161 - January 4th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Post #161 - January 4th, 2017, 1:47 pm Post #161 - January 4th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Since I'm on here I'll throw out a couple more on this thread that I have not tried but want to. Closer to the city, La Barra (small plates) has opened in Riverside as well as a sandwich shop owned by the Chew Chew owners called Sawmilly. Please report if anyone goes to these places. Riverside is curiously starved of any kind of businesses at all so it good some have opened up. Sometimes I feel llike its the Twilight Zone when I visit there. Charming, in a throwback type of way.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #162 - January 5th, 2017, 9:44 am
    Post #162 - January 5th, 2017, 9:44 am Post #162 - January 5th, 2017, 9:44 am
    I'm out that way (I'll be checking out Danada Deli in the near future) in Villa Park, and am also interested in more info about places out this way. I'd also be up for a West Suburbs LTH get-together to try out a few places.
  • Post #163 - January 13th, 2017, 2:14 pm
    Post #163 - January 13th, 2017, 2:14 pm Post #163 - January 13th, 2017, 2:14 pm
    toria wrote:Another "secret" place is Danada Deli on Butterfield Road in Wheaton. Its owned by Hungarians from Transylvania, and the man cooking was trained in Europe. Their soups are superb and I am not a soup lover. In particular I will mention my favorites, split pea soup, bean soup, and cabbage soup, also pasta fazool. They have others. Their meals are good too such as the stuffed peppers and the stuffed cabbage rolls which are like no other I've had. No tomato sauce in them but so much flavor. Not cheap but good. I'd take a pass on the faux American stuff like Italian beef or sausage or hot dogs. Better places for that. I'll give a shout out to their delicious egg salad sandwiches that they serve with a cup of Soup.

My sister and brother-in-law live in Wheaton and are huge fans of owners Ilona, Lazar and the Danada Deli. They often order apple strudels ahead of time for family events. They love the mushroom soup and chicken salad. I've met Ilona and she has a warm personality and wants customers to enjoy!

Their Facebook page has an interesting video on Chimney Cakes.
    https://www.facebook.com/Danada-Deli-146685328717582/

Danada Deli & Pantry
    290 W Loop Rd
    Wheaton, IL 60187
    630-871-8787
  • Post #164 - January 15th, 2017, 10:07 am
    Post #164 - January 15th, 2017, 10:07 am Post #164 - January 15th, 2017, 10:07 am
    HI,

Transylvania is in Romania. Due to border shifts over various political events like wars, there was a Hungarian community trapped in Romania. It was my understanding, those Hungarians were not treated very well.

I am sorry they are closed on Sunday, but this is high on list to try.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #165 - January 15th, 2017, 1:50 pm
    Post #165 - January 15th, 2017, 1:50 pm Post #165 - January 15th, 2017, 1:50 pm
    Watch their facebook page. They post what they have around ten thirty am every day. I'd take a pass on their Italian beef, their polish sausage sandwich or stuff like that. The stuffed cabbage rolls, stuffed peppers, goulash, pork loin are things to try. There egg salad sandwiches are great. They have one dish a day and two soups. My favorite soups are split pea, bean soup and cabbage and sausage soup. I'd kill for the recipe for the cabbage soup. They put bende sausage in stuff. I did not care for the chicken rice soup, the chicken noodle is well made but plain, and I'm not terribly fond of beef barley.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #166 - January 20th, 2017, 1:58 pm
    Post #166 - January 20th, 2017, 1:58 pm Post #166 - January 20th, 2017, 1:58 pm
    I swung by Danada Deli today. I enjoyed my Italian Sub (they don't skimp on the meat) which was way better than those served at nearby chains like Jimmy Johns, etc. I saved a good deal of it because the cup of chicken chili that I also ordered was very good and satisfying. Next time I go, I'll probably just stick to the soup provided its hearty enough and the daily special isn't tempting. The homemade pastries looked very good but I resisted the temptation. I'll be back.
  • Post #167 - February 15th, 2017, 12:25 am
    Post #167 - February 15th, 2017, 12:25 am Post #167 - February 15th, 2017, 12:25 am
    toria wrote:Haven't been to Union House for a while. If you go to Danada Deli, don't expect a charming Hungarian spot. Its a no nonsense converted White Hen type of place with no atmosphere kinda like Katy's but a little bigger. They have what is on the menu for the day and not much else but sandwiches that they make there fresh and some pastries. Some things won't shine like the chicken noodle soup. Plain, well made but boring in my opinion. You can order food or soup and eat it in the room on the side where there are tables or you can take it to go. Also with their more popular fare, it sells out quickly so make sure to go there at lunch and not later as when its gone, its gone.

Thanks Toria, this place is really quite a find.

On a recent Saturday, Danada Deli posted on facebook they were offering cabbage rolls. Mom2 is a cabbage roll fiend. I called ahead to reserve three cabbage rolls. By the time I reached there a few hours later, our reserved rolls were all that was left.

These cabbage rolls had no tomato sauce. They did have a sprinkling of sauerkraut on top. The leaves did not seem to come from fresh cabbage. I asked the owner if these cabbage leaves were sauerkraut. She affirmed they were, then explained she uses tomato sauce only when making cabbage rolls from fresh cabbage. Interestingly, Mom2 like these cabbage rolls especially since they had no tomato sauce.

During this visit, we enjoyed their soups: creamy chicken, chicken chili and beef barley. We all enjoyed the soups, which were freshly made and eagerly devoured. When Mom2 didn't finish her soup and wished to take it home, they topped it off with more soup.

Since I had spent time in Romania during-and-after Ceausesu, the owner and I did quite a bit of comparing experiences. I definitely have to bring my Dad for the food and conversation.

We took with us some walnut pastries, which we enjoyed with tea a few hours later. Our only disappointment was I did not buy more.

Danada Deli
    290 W Loop Rd
    Wheaton, IL 60189
    (630) 871-8787
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Danada-Deli/
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #168 - February 15th, 2017, 8:11 am
    Post #168 - February 15th, 2017, 8:11 am Post #168 - February 15th, 2017, 8:11 am
    Cabbage rolls are common in most Eastern European nations. Croatians typically never use tomato sauce. They use sauerkraut and clear juices. By the way, those are called sauerheads when they are whole. Those are the best. I used to make them, but there is a Croatian Church up here in Milwaukee that sells them pre-order in the fall and spring. March 17/18 are the pick up dates this spring. They are made with sauerheads and are so good, I put my own efforts on hold.
  • Post #169 - June 5th, 2017, 8:11 am
    Post #169 - June 5th, 2017, 8:11 am Post #169 - June 5th, 2017, 8:11 am
    I've been hitting Beppe's Italian Deli pretty frequently for lunch on weekends, as they do a really good italian sub, and the last time I was in I saw that they are now doing a Cuban as well - I had to give it a try. I'm no expert on how "authentic" Cuban sandwiches are, as the only examples I've had are here in Chicago, but I thought it compared well with ones I've had at La Unica and Cafecito - the bread is the one thing that is not comparable to those two, as Beppe's uses a relatively standard sub bread - good for that purpose, but not quite as good for this use.

Beppe's Italian Deli
    17W580 Butterfield Rd
    Oak Brook, IL 60523
    http://www.beppesitalian.com/
  • Post #170 - June 7th, 2017, 1:11 pm
    Post #170 - June 7th, 2017, 1:11 pm Post #170 - June 7th, 2017, 1:11 pm
    Jefe wrote:The Mexican scene in West Chicago is deep, over half of all businesses are seemingly Mexican- owned from supermercados (like 5 of them for a tiny little village), Michoacan style paleterias, and quite a few taquerias.
    The stand out for me, which came recommended was El Ñero for their corundas.

El Ñero closed over a year ago. Not that I noticed much, La Cocina de Maria and their DF style antojitos and fresh salsas have become my locked down go-to.

Maybe I should have been paying better attention, since last summer the space was occupied by Taqueria Monroy, who specialize in super tortas and Poblano stuff like cemitas and arabes. I just enjoyed a lunch of those latter offerings and came away impressed.

The cemita de milanesa was much better proportioned than a disappointing gut bomb I tried at Las Cemitas Poblanas in Aurora last summer. It wasn't up to the quality of Cemitas Puebla, but everything was fresh– sturdy, slightly chewy roll, not-terribly-greasy and tender milanesa, decent though likely not imported quesillo oaxaqueño, house made chipotle in adobo with some caramelized onions in the mix, and chipotle mayo to gild the lily. Missing was the papalo (that I spied on some of the sandwiches in pix on Yelp), though maybe its not yet in season.

Online, I also noticed fully loaded trompos of both al pastor and arabes, though at noon they had not been fired up yet. I spoke with the chef/owner and he said the health dept only allows for so much cook time, so he rotates them as he needs them (he only has one autodoner). Regardless, I tried a taco of griddle-reheated arabes and thought it was pretty damn tasty, still moist with great caramelized onion/ porky flavor. Dipped in a salsa of the house chipotle adobo it was quite tasty indeed.

The owner seemed very proud of his product, especially the arabes and the chipotles. He hails from CDMX but explained the popularity of Poblano food in the capital. I'm stoked to have another great little mom-and-pop regional Mexican spot out this way.

Taqueria Monroy
    116 Main St #1, West Chicago, IL 60185
    (630) 473-0093
  • Post #171 - June 7th, 2017, 2:24 pm
    Post #171 - June 7th, 2017, 2:24 pm Post #171 - June 7th, 2017, 2:24 pm
    Puckjam wrote:Cabbage rolls are common in most Eastern European nations. Croatians typically never use tomato sauce. They use sauerkraut and clear juices. By the way, those are called sauerheads when they are whole. Those are the best. I used to make them, but there is a Croatian Church up here in Milwaukee that sells them pre-order in the fall and spring. March 17/18 are the pick up dates this spring. They are made with sauerheads and are so good, I put my own efforts on hold.

Found it!

Sarma Sale @ Sacred Heart
    March 10 2017 from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Milwaukee, WI

SARMA SALE
    Sponsored by Sacred Heart Croatian Parish

$1.75 per Sarma

To place your order, please call Joe or Mary Schauer at 414-235-9458, Sacred Heart 414-774-9418, or at the Ushers Office after Mass. Pick up dates are Friday, March 10th from 4:00pm until 7:00pm or Saturday, March 11th from 8:30am until 11:30am.

Please bring your own containers for pick-up!

HVALA!

Sacred Heart Croatian Hall
    917 N. 49th Street - Milwaukee, WI
    http://milwaukeecroatians.org/

St. Augustine hosts a Sarma dinner from time to time.
    6762 W. Rogers St.
    West Allis, WI 53219
    414-541-5207
    http://www.staugwa.org/
    Cathy2

• Post #172 - June 7th, 2017, 4:11 pm
    Post #172 - June 7th, 2017, 4:11 pm Post #172 - June 7th, 2017, 4:11 pm
    Nice. I used to make my own, but in March and November they have Sarma sales at Sacred Heart. Can't say my are any better, so I buy theirs and freeze some. You have to call in advance and bring your own container. They do use "sour heads" and make an excellent product ( old Croatian women and I only hope the young ones keep tradition). I make cevapcici on my own. Hard to beat mine though. There is the 60+ annual Croatian picnic in Mukwonago on July 8 sponsored by the Morovich Family. They grill whole lambs. pigs, and chickens. I have to wipe the fat off my nose and cheeks after dining "El Trunko." They also have a good Cevapcici and other good stuff. Nice find. Just don't need too many people finding out about these gems. Why not, keep traditions alive. I will be there again this year. Highlight of my food calendar.
  • Post #173 - July 16th, 2017, 9:35 am
    Post #173 - July 16th, 2017, 9:35 am Post #173 - July 16th, 2017, 9:35 am
    I can add a new successful discovery to this rolling list...

Two years ago, the Filipino joint, Hong Ning, relocated to Carol Stream at the corner of North and Schmale. They seem to have quite the following, nearly universal love on the Yelp (from seemingly predominantly Filipino patrons). The place was hopping at an early dinnertime (5 PM) on a Saturday. They've been on my radar since they popped up, I frequently shop at Caputo's across the street.

The space is pretty nice for a suburban strip mall. A former wood fired pizza spot, part of the kitchen is open and white tiled. The back wall is adorned with cultural tchotchkes and family photos. Service was awesome, the place is extra well staffed, kind of an extended family vibe.

Knowing Pinoy portion sizes, I knew that I would need to roll with reinforcements and, goddamn, were we assaulted with mountains of food! Five of us were only able to put a dent in two apps and five entrees, and five take out boxes left with us.

Apps: lumpia were a little thicker than other versions I'm familiar with. The pleasantly bouncy pork filling was nice. The wrappers were fried to a brittle crisp but were not as unique as the flakier version at Isla Pilipina. The sauce was way less cloyingly-sweet though. Fried chicken skin was amazeballs, well seasoned and addictive dipped in a dark vinegar sauce.

In the entree department there were high highs, one dud, and generally satisfying soulful cooking. The dud was a gimmick-y mound of deep fried frozen seafood, kare-kare style. The sauce looked right but was oddly flavorless, hardly even tasting of peanuts. Oh well, that one wasn't my call. The coconut milk-based sauce with the Ginataang Gulay (sitaw kalabasa) had much more depth and richness. And the crispy string beans and tender hunks of squash were a welcome respite from the piles of deep fried morsels and meats.

The grilled meats were my favorite dishes of the meal– the Inahaw na liempo, nuggets of pork belly were succulent, very smoky/charred, and deeply redolent of fish sauce and kalamansi. The chicken inasal had a similar marinade profile (though the menu mentioned lemongrass and annatto) and the grilled thighs maintained a nice juiciness. Excellent stuff.

The menu doesn't shy away from offal (liver sauce!) and other funky stuff. I was in mixed company in terms of adventurous palates, so I thought we'd ordered safe across the board. One dish that was surprisingly challenging (it was even hard for me to slam with my typical gusto) was a dish of fried pork belly with shrimp paste. I expected it to be marinaded in the fermented fishy stuff, but was liberally smeared with the paste, like Flea slap-bass solo levels of funk. They even brought out a couple of extra ramekins of the stuff (that remained untouched.) The dish came together with a fresh salsa of tomato and onion and served atop a neutral base of grilled eggplant. Just really intense and maybe thats a good thing– unrestrained SE Asian flavors in the heart of the burbs!

I was as disappointed as the server that we didn't have room for their psychedelic halo halo. I'll be back for sure. This place brings the goods!

Also, side note, I recently enjoyed an Italian Beef at Augustino's across the street. The clearly house made beef, so far, is the best product I've found within a five mile radius of our place. I'd previously ignored the cheesy 50's themed diner until chatter between Da Beef and jimswside on Twitter piqued my interest, and then I high tailed it over there after gushing recommendations from a coupla wise Home Depot delivery guys.

Hong Ning
    598 North Ave, Carol Stream, IL
    (630) 480-2688

Augustino's Rock and Roll Deli and Grill
    246 Schmale Road, Carol Stream, IL
    (630) 665-5585
  • Post #174 - July 17th, 2017, 1:12 pm
    Post #174 - July 17th, 2017, 1:12 pm Post #174 - July 17th, 2017, 1:12 pm
    I am glad you were able to Danada Deli Cathy2. The cabbage rolls are so good and I would kill for the recipe. What I don't get about their food is its so flavorful but it looks so bland. It's not. Its spicy enough even for Frank. While not hot, some of their stuff has a kick to it. It must be the paprika they use but there is no redness to some of their foods. I also love the cabbage and sausage soup. Its white and looks very bland but its so delicious. And I am not a soup lover. Their pea soup and bean soup are good, really any of their soups but I am not a lover of brothy type soups so I stay away from them. I believe they make the pastries from pre bought dough but they bake them there. I do know they get the Hungarian sausage from Bende which is now closed in Glen Ellyn but exists on line and in Vernon Hills. That I think is what makes the soups very smokey and flavorful. I believe you can buy a quart of soup and take it with you if you call ahead. Actually they will make stuff for you if you call ahead. The cabbage rolls freeze very well. I would stay away from their Italian beef or sausage sandwiches because you can get better elsewhere. Their egg salad sandwiches are delicious as well.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #175 - July 17th, 2017, 3:21 pm
    Post #175 - July 17th, 2017, 3:21 pm Post #175 - July 17th, 2017, 3:21 pm
    I'll throw in The Market at Gaetano's in Batavia. They just started opening for lunch a few weeks ago - Tues - Saturday 11 -1. Small but impressive menu. I had the Italian Beef sandwich. Though I am nursing a cold and my taste buds aren't firing at 100%, it was one of the best beefs I've tasted. And it was swimming in a wonderful au jus, but the Turano bread held its own and never collapsed. As you can see, the homemade giardiniera and sweet peppers were quite abundant. And delicious. They have a few salads, several flatbreads and a meatball-ish sandwich called a meat log, that my son had and claimed it as the best meatball sando ever.

Already loved this restaurant for dinner and figured his lunch would also be a home run.

You order downstairs in the basement, bring your number with you upstairs and they bring out your food. Fast and efficient.

The Market at Gaetanos: 15 E. Wilson St. Batavia, IL
    beef.JPG Big Beef!
  • Post #176 - July 19th, 2017, 8:06 am
    Post #176 - July 19th, 2017, 8:06 am Post #176 - July 19th, 2017, 8:06 am
    I have to give a nod to the banh mi (BBQ Pork) sandwich I had at Pho Thien near the Sec. of State location on 75th St in Naperville. Very reasonably priced ($5) and well executed. The pho looked pretty good on the other diners' tables. I'll be back to try it.

Pho Thien Vietnamese Kitchen
    931 W 75th St #177, Naperville, IL 60565
  • Post #177 - August 1st, 2017, 9:54 pm
    Post #177 - August 1st, 2017, 9:54 pm Post #177 - August 1st, 2017, 9:54 pm
    electric mullet wrote:Check out Liu Brother in St. Charles for a respectable beef noodle soup. They also make a nice salt and pepper fish.

Liu Brothers Asian Bistro
    Address: 1554 E Main St, St. Charles, IL 60174
    Phone:(630) 797-5155

This place is now called Chamber Red Chinese Bistro. I suspect different owners since the phone number is also different.

I went there last night for the first time and it was very good. We didn't order anything exotic, just the dinner for 2. The Hot & Sour soup was the best I can ever remember having. I knew going in that they didn't serve traditional egg rolls, so anyone looking for Kow Kow replacement, this is not the place. But for what they are, they were very good. Mongolian beef was almost perfect, though I like it a little hotter. But great flavor and not that over tenderized meat you get in so many places. The pot stickers were very good, a nice balance of dough to meat. The sweet & sour chicken was pretty good too. It's not something I would normally order, but that's what my date wanted.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Everything was above average. I wouldn't consider anything really excellent other than the soup. But there was not a single disappointment with anything we ordered. The service was great, friendly and attentive enough, but didn't get in the way of our date. A really enjoyable evening.

Chamber Red Chinese Bistro
    1554 E Main St, St Charles, IL 60174
    847-886-4668
  • Post #178 - October 12th, 2017, 9:59 am
    Post #178 - October 12th, 2017, 9:59 am Post #178 - October 12th, 2017, 9:59 am
    Stopped into Tanoor Med Grill - 1904 Brookdale Rd Naperville - yesterday. Seems like the place is trying to get going - service was very friendly but our meal did take a while, maybe because one of our party ordered the Mixed Grill. I got the falafel wrap which was perfectly fine. I'd go back for that alone. But the real star(s)?? The side of french fries. Man. These were perfectly cooked - crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. Was not expecting that. Swing by there if you have a hankering for fries.
  • Post #179 - October 13th, 2017, 11:25 am
    Post #179 - October 13th, 2017, 11:25 am Post #179 - October 13th, 2017, 11:25 am
    bobbywal wrote:Stopped into Tanoor Med Grill - 1904 Brookdale Rd Naperville - yesterday.

But the real star(s)?? The side of french fries. Man. These were perfectly cooked - crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. Was not expecting that. Swing by there if you have a hankering for fries.

That's a left handed recommendation if I ever heard one. :)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #180 - October 17th, 2017, 1:02 pm
    Post #180 - October 17th, 2017, 1:02 pm Post #180 - October 17th, 2017, 1:02 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:That's a left handed recommendation if I ever heard one. :)

Haha. I deserve that. But, to be honest, I'm likely to go back there for the falafel wrap since its way closer to my office, instead of, say, trekking to Naf Naf. It was a pretty good falafel wrap.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more