LTH Home

Bagels: New York Bagel and Bialy

Bagels: New York Bagel and Bialy
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 8
  • Post #61 - December 1st, 2008, 8:44 pm
    Post #61 - December 1st, 2008, 8:44 pm Post #61 - December 1st, 2008, 8:44 pm
    I was just at NYBB yesterday and noticed the sign about pastrami from Manny's too. Marriage made in heaven, yet another reason to go. My LTHweekend: Captain Porky's,NYBB and Nhu Lan.
    trpt2345
  • Post #62 - December 3rd, 2008, 3:31 pm
    Post #62 - December 3rd, 2008, 3:31 pm Post #62 - December 3rd, 2008, 3:31 pm
    i had the pastrami on the onion bialy... next time i will opt for a bagel because i find them to be chewier (at least this is my experience), which i like. the pastrami was excellent. i've never been to Manny's, but if i ever get the chance i'm sure i'll be enjoying the Pastrami fresh from the source. my next sandwich at NYBB will be the lox sandwich on a poppy seed bagel. this place truly has excellent baked goods and sandwiches.
  • Post #63 - December 6th, 2008, 4:32 am
    Post #63 - December 6th, 2008, 4:32 am Post #63 - December 6th, 2008, 4:32 am
    trpt2345 wrote:I was just at NYBB yesterday and noticed the sign about pastrami from Manny's too.

As of yesterday afternoon (Friday, 12.5.08) NYBB was out of Manny's pastrami. Counter person said they would be restocked Monday.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #64 - December 6th, 2008, 3:14 pm
    Post #64 - December 6th, 2008, 3:14 pm Post #64 - December 6th, 2008, 3:14 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    trpt2345 wrote:I was just at NYBB yesterday and noticed the sign about pastrami from Manny's too.

As of yesterday afternoon (Friday, 12.5.08) NYBB was out of Manny's pastrami. Counter person said they would be restocked Monday.

Thanks for the notice. I was literally about to head over there with a buddy for the pastrami.

Looks like i'll head to Smoque.
  • Post #65 - December 31st, 2008, 3:15 pm
    Post #65 - December 31st, 2008, 3:15 pm Post #65 - December 31st, 2008, 3:15 pm
    I stopped in today for a pastrami sandwich on an onion biali. It's really nice to have a source of Manny's pastrami so close to home, but I feel there is a real difference between what is being served at NYB&B and that which is served at Manny's. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's the same product, the difference to me is in the way the product is handled and sliced. Manny's slices their pastrami slightly thinner than NYB&B (Neither is all that thick) and I think that gives it a slightly different flavor profile. Add to that the fact that the pastrami is either heated differently, or held longer (or both) at NYB&B. This means that the pastrami you get at Manny's seems brighter and spicier/more garlicky than the stuff served at NYB&B.

This is by way of comparison only, and probably not something that very many people would even notice. Both sandwiches are quite good, with Manny's containing nearly twice the amount of meat (for more money). Hat's off to the merging of the talents of two GNR's, Manny's pastrami and NYB&B's baked goods.

NYB&B Pastrami Sandwich
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #66 - December 31st, 2008, 3:39 pm
    Post #66 - December 31st, 2008, 3:39 pm Post #66 - December 31st, 2008, 3:39 pm
    stevez wrote:I stopped in today for a pastrami sandwich on an onion biali.

Steve,

Your are a man of taste and distinction. Anyone who knows to order this sandwich on a bialy rather than on a bagel (which is clearly far less-suited to this style of sandwich) deserves a tip of the hat. Kudos.

Best,
    Michael

PS
    I will not dock you any points for misspelling "bialy".
  • Post #67 - December 31st, 2008, 3:49 pm
    Post #67 - December 31st, 2008, 3:49 pm Post #67 - December 31st, 2008, 3:49 pm
    eatchicago wrote:Your are a man of taste and distinction. Anyone who knows to order this sandwich on a bialy rather than on a bagel (which is clearly far less-suited to this style of sandwich) deserves a tip of the hat. Kudos.

and the rye bread thinks "what am I, chopped liver?" :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #68 - December 31st, 2008, 4:49 pm
    Post #68 - December 31st, 2008, 4:49 pm Post #68 - December 31st, 2008, 4:49 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    eatchicago wrote:Your are a man of taste and distinction. Anyone who knows to order this sandwich on a bialy rather than on a bagel (which is clearly far less-suited to this style of sandwich) deserves a tip of the hat. Kudos.

=R=

Technically speaking wouldn't rye bread hold more meat than a bagel or bialy?
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #69 - December 31st, 2008, 5:05 pm
    Post #69 - December 31st, 2008, 5:05 pm Post #69 - December 31st, 2008, 5:05 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Well, of course I am a rye bread man, but I'm talking in terms of NYBB where one should order a bagel or a bialy. A bagel, in my opinion, is an inappropriate vessel for a beef sandwich, culinarily speaking.
  • Post #70 - December 31st, 2008, 8:51 pm
    Post #70 - December 31st, 2008, 8:51 pm Post #70 - December 31st, 2008, 8:51 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

I felt it inappropriate to order a sandwich on rye at a bagel and bialy bakery, though it would be my normal choice. And yes, I felt getting it on a bagel would be texturally and morally wrong.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #71 - January 1st, 2009, 9:26 am
    Post #71 - January 1st, 2009, 9:26 am Post #71 - January 1st, 2009, 9:26 am
    stevez wrote:Manny's slices their pastrami slightly thinner than NYB&B (Neither is all that thick) and I think that gives it a slightly different flavor profile.

I pose this non-rhetorical query because I am truly puzzled. The question goes to stevez or anyone else who can enlighten me on this point. I accept as a given what Steve says. What I have trouble understanding is how the thickness of the slice can affect the flavor. His point, made later in the post, that the method of reheating or the time taken to reheat or the time the product is held would affect the flavor makes far more intuitive sense to me. But I am not foolish enough to challenge stevez's thesis. So: can someone elucidate the theory for me?
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #72 - January 1st, 2009, 9:39 am
    Post #72 - January 1st, 2009, 9:39 am Post #72 - January 1st, 2009, 9:39 am
    The difference in taste between Manny's & NYB&B's pastrami, while being supposedly the same product, is quite apparent. I concur with Steve.

Think of how it's kept on the steam table at Manny's, in a metal rectangular container. When Gino (Manny's mustachioed meat master) serves it up, he just grabs a handful of pastrami from that container, burnt ends, juice, spices at the bottom, and whams it down onto the rye bread. It's very salty as a rule, which is why I usually have a combo pastrami/corned beef instead, a killer yin-yang, to cut the saltiness.

At NYB&B, the one time I've had it (yes, pastrami on toasted onion bialy) there was less meat but I was charged about 40% less. I don't recall the cut being different, but it seemed to be more slices than all the by-products at Manny's, and definitely less salty. Less tasty? Yeah, maybe. Could be that it loses a little bit on the way from the South Loop to Lincolnwood.
  • Post #73 - January 1st, 2009, 11:21 am
    Post #73 - January 1st, 2009, 11:21 am Post #73 - January 1st, 2009, 11:21 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:
    stevez wrote:Manny's slices their pastrami slightly thinner than NYB&B (Neither is all that thick) and I think that gives it a slightly different flavor profile.

What I have trouble understanding is how the thickness of the slice can affect the flavor.

This is a phenomenon I have noticed when cutting brisket after smoking. With thin slices, you tend to taste more of the rub (spices) than you do with really thick slices, which tend to taste meatier and less spiced. I'm not sure the minor difference in the thickness between Manny's and NYB&B makes all that much difference, but it is something to consider. Really, I think most of the difference results from the transport time and the difference in holding method.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #74 - January 5th, 2009, 11:35 am
    Post #74 - January 5th, 2009, 11:35 am Post #74 - January 5th, 2009, 11:35 am
    stevez wrote:I stopped in today for a pastrami sandwich on an onion biali. It's really nice to have a source of Manny's pastrami so close to home, but I feel there is a real difference between what is being served at NYB&B and that which is served at Manny's. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's the same product, the difference to me is in the way the product is handled and sliced. Manny's slices their pastrami slightly thinner than NYB&B (Neither is all that thick) and I think that gives it a slightly different flavor profile. Add to that the fact that the pastrami is either heated differently, or held longer (or both) at NYB&B. This means that the pastrami you get at Manny's seems brighter and spicier/more garlicky than the stuff served at NYB&B.

This is by way of comparison only, and probably not something that very many people would even notice. Both sandwiches are quite good, with Manny's containing nearly twice the amount of meat (for more money). Hat's off to the merging of the talents of two GNR's, Manny's pastrami and NYB&B's baked goods.

NYB&B Pastrami Sandwich

Stevez - it kinda looks like they gave you a corned beef sammy instead of a pastrami. . . its happend to me twice in the past month at NYBB that they give me the CB instead of the pastrami, and i don't realize it till I get home. I dunno if that's the "default" substituion a certain employee over there makes if they're out of pastrami or what, but it upset me something fierce.

Firslty, the coloring of the pastrami at NYBB is markedly darker with a maroon/grey color and obvious peppering. Your sammy looks like corned beef - clean, consistently pink meat.

Secondly, if i'm correct in my assertion that it was really CB, it'd explain the relative lack of taste/flavor. On those glorious visits where i've actually gotten the Manny's pastrami it was extremely flavorful and easily the most delicious i've ever tasted (right up there with the original article downtown).

Go back on another visit. .this time on Monday, apparently. . and see if the experience is different.

btw - i know you're a foody and don't mean to insult your tastebuds, but the coincidence of my experiences and the pic led me to post this. When my brother and i got the CB the first time, we had torn halfway through the sammy before we look at eachother and wondered where the pastrami's peppery taste was. :x
  • Post #75 - January 15th, 2009, 10:30 am
    Post #75 - January 15th, 2009, 10:30 am Post #75 - January 15th, 2009, 10:30 am
    I don't mean to dominate this thread. . but i will. . :mrgreen:

My last few pastrami sammiches at NYBB have been completely underwhelming and flavorless. I'm not sure theyre even selling Manny's pastrami all the time because the taste and texture difference is so dissimilar to what it was just a month ago when they first started selling it.

I got one two days ago and the meat was dry and looked more like corned beef (see my previous response to Stevez post). I stopped the employee mid-construction of my sammich to double check that it was really pastrami, and he verified that it was.

I'm not sure what's happened with the taste and excellence of the pastrami over there, but it won't be any time soon that i pay over $7 for that nonsense. I'll just stick with the lox and cream cheese on bialy.
  • Post #76 - September 20th, 2009, 7:26 pm
    Post #76 - September 20th, 2009, 7:26 pm Post #76 - September 20th, 2009, 7:26 pm
    I just got back from buying a dozen, and a car drove through the window in the last few days! It's boarded up now, but the little-used Western door was pushed in quite a bit.

I was told the plan is to reconstruct as-was, with the door, rather than just carrying the window panes across the whole front. They used the West door some last year, I remember, for the first time in a long while. Remember the poster for "Gangs of New York" that must have stayed up for several years, fading in the sunlight?

I couldn't resist saying to the waiting customers as I left, "I thought Billy joel was in Chicago last month."
  • Post #77 - September 20th, 2009, 8:03 pm
    Post #77 - September 20th, 2009, 8:03 pm Post #77 - September 20th, 2009, 8:03 pm
    I was there last night around 10:30 pm (bialy bread / lox cheese) so it was fairly recent. I'm sure they'll recover in time for the holiday next wk.
  • Post #78 - November 5th, 2009, 7:34 pm
    Post #78 - November 5th, 2009, 7:34 pm Post #78 - November 5th, 2009, 7:34 pm
    Cabbagehead wrote:I just got back from buying a dozen, and a car drove through the window in the last few days! It's boarded up now, but the little-used Western door was pushed in quite a bit.

I was told the plan is to reconstruct as-was, with the door, rather than just carrying the window panes across the whole front. They used the West door some last year, I remember, for the first time in a long while. Remember the poster for "Gangs of New York" that must have stayed up for several years, fading in the sunlight?

I couldn't resist saying to the waiting customers as I left, "I thought Billy joel was in Chicago last month."

The window was (finally) replaced today.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #79 - March 14th, 2010, 3:29 pm
    Post #79 - March 14th, 2010, 3:29 pm Post #79 - March 14th, 2010, 3:29 pm
    Question: is there a master list somewhere of locations they make morning deliveries to?
  • Post #80 - March 14th, 2010, 8:45 pm
    Post #80 - March 14th, 2010, 8:45 pm Post #80 - March 14th, 2010, 8:45 pm
    Thinking about bageljacking if they get close enough to the South Loop?

I'd bet the driver has heat, and isn't afraid to use it.

sidenote:

Isn't a wonder beef places don't have the big brown bags of Gonnella lifted before they open?
  • Post #81 - January 22nd, 2011, 8:57 am
    Post #81 - January 22nd, 2011, 8:57 am Post #81 - January 22nd, 2011, 8:57 am
    Stopped in to pick up a dozen last night around 10:30 and witnessed a beautiful sight: many bags, filled with fresh bagels, ready to go out for delivery to local hospitals and restaurants.

"Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #82 - January 22nd, 2011, 9:30 am
    Post #82 - January 22nd, 2011, 9:30 am Post #82 - January 22nd, 2011, 9:30 am
    Local hospitals? So, where should I go next time I'm sick?
  • Post #83 - January 22nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
    Post #83 - January 22nd, 2011, 12:21 pm Post #83 - January 22nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
    I've usually been pretty impressed with the quality of bagels purchased at NYB&B, but twice in about the last month, each time when purchasing at least a dozen bagels, I've been given bagels which were well past their freshness date. In fact, on my purchase this last week at about 6:30 am, none of the bagels were remotely warm, and I'd be shocked if some weren't approximately 24 hours old. To me, this is not acceptable. Given these latter two incidents, I will probably in the future spend more time inquiring about the age/freshness of the bagels. Unfortunately, I still think NYB&B offers the best quality bagels in this general area, so my option to go elsewhere for better quality and fresher bagels is non-existent.
  • Post #84 - January 22nd, 2011, 2:09 pm
    Post #84 - January 22nd, 2011, 2:09 pm Post #84 - January 22nd, 2011, 2:09 pm
    BR wrote:I've usually been pretty impressed with the quality of bagels purchased at NYB&B, but twice in about the last month, each time when purchasing at least a dozen bagels, I've been given bagels which were well past their freshness date. In fact, on my purchase this last week at about 6:30 am, none of the bagels were remotely warm, and I'd be shocked if some weren't approximately 24 hours old. To me, this is not acceptable. Given these latter two incidents, I will probably in the future spend more time inquiring about the age/freshness of the bagels. Unfortunately, I still think NYB&B offers the best quality bagels in this general area, so my option to go elsewhere for better quality and fresher bagels is non-existent.

The ones we picked up last night were warm and soft. Time of day is probably important for achieving optimal bagelosity.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #85 - January 22nd, 2011, 3:34 pm
    Post #85 - January 22nd, 2011, 3:34 pm Post #85 - January 22nd, 2011, 3:34 pm
    My typical visit to NYB&B is usually late-night, on my way home after dinner and/or drinks in the city, between 1 and 2 a.m. At that hour, they're pumping out the bagels and bialys, the baskets are being filled and product is usually optimal. Based on this, I can't imagine that bagels purchased there at around 6:30 a.m. are more than a couple hours old, at most. Very distressing, BR. I hope it doesn't represent a trend. You're right, though. No other bagels in the area even come close.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #86 - March 30th, 2011, 1:07 pm
    Post #86 - March 30th, 2011, 1:07 pm Post #86 - March 30th, 2011, 1:07 pm
    Question: is there a master list somewhere of locations they make morning deliveries to?

Got a lead on this, actually. I was told that maybe if I called at 5:30AM or 6AM while a driver was still around, (s)he would be able to tell me what restaurants/shops he was delivering to that day.

Will try tomorrow if I manage to get up that early. If anyone else wants to try, though, go for it!

New York Bagel & Bialy: (847) 677-9388

-MR
  • Post #87 - March 30th, 2011, 1:39 pm
    Post #87 - March 30th, 2011, 1:39 pm Post #87 - March 30th, 2011, 1:39 pm
    I've been trying to reduce our consumption of white flour - and, knowing this is night on impossible with bagels, I settle for "wheat." This enabled me to figure out a strategy for fresh bagels - I order several dozen and freeze them, and yesterday there were only 6 mini wheat bagels - so the counter girl asked me to wait. They made them to order, it took about 15 minutes (certainly longer than the 10 she promised. These are the bagels I remember from my childhood in Cincinnati!

So the problem is that NYB&B just waits until they run out of something before they make more - may I suggest the best strategy to be ordering more than there is of the bagel they're just about to run out of?

Of course, this means spending maybe $30 for one perfectly-fresh just-baked bagel...but I didn't mind.
  • Post #88 - March 31st, 2011, 4:29 pm
    Post #88 - March 31st, 2011, 4:29 pm Post #88 - March 31st, 2011, 4:29 pm
    Never tried this place until today because I live so close to Kaufman's. But this thread persuaded me to give the NYBB Dempster location a whirl. Got two kinds of bagels and a few bialys. Consensus at the office was that these were some of the freshest bagels they had ever had. I thought the plain bagel had a wonderful combination of crustiness and chewiness.
    Impressive.

New York Bagel & Bialy
    3556 1/2 Dempster St.
    Skokie
    (847) 673-9388
    Cash only
  • Post #89 - May 5th, 2011, 4:08 pm
    Post #89 - May 5th, 2011, 4:08 pm Post #89 - May 5th, 2011, 4:08 pm
    Data point for those seeking still-warm bagels, during a noon visit to the Niles location today, they had fresh, warm bagels in several varieties and more coming out as I waited for my sandwich.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #90 - May 12th, 2011, 9:15 pm
    Post #90 - May 12th, 2011, 9:15 pm Post #90 - May 12th, 2011, 9:15 pm
    at the lincolnwood location, is the CB or pastrami only available in a sammich, or can you get a pound to go, such as at Kaufman's?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more