LTH Home

Plateia, Glenview

Plateia, Glenview
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Plateia, Glenview

Post #1 - March 10th, 2016, 6:36 pm
    Post #1 - March 10th, 2016, 6:36 pm Post #1 - March 10th, 2016, 6:36 pm
    In the old PeriYali space. Has anyone been yet?

9860 N Milwaukee Ave
    Des Plaines, IL 60016
    (847) 296-2230
  • Post #2 - March 11th, 2016, 12:00 am
    Post #2 - March 11th, 2016, 12:00 am Post #2 - March 11th, 2016, 12:00 am
    No, but they have a website and a Facebook page.
  • Post #3 - March 13th, 2016, 6:20 am
    Post #3 - March 13th, 2016, 6:20 am Post #3 - March 13th, 2016, 6:20 am
    Yeah...we were there about a month ago or so as a group of five; we ended up there because it's close to where mom lives and she loves Greek food. I'm remiss in not posting. But the reason I didn't post frankly--other than sheer laziness--is that I didn't have a whole lot to say. In a few words, the food was solid but not noteworthy. We liked the size of the menu and the breadth of the offerings but any time I see such a broad spectrum of dishes, I always wonder what the kitchen's strength is and what I should try and what I should avoid. I no longer recall others' dishes but I had the pastitsio, a comfort food dish that I will often use to gauge what I think of the kitchen. In this case, the portion was generous and the dish extremely rich...unusually so, in my experience. Having never been to Greece I can't comment on how "authentic" this version is, but it was enjoyable; I'd certainly order it again if I was in the mood.
    Surroundings were pleasant enough--I don't think they did much of anything to the interior since they took over from the prior Greek restaurant owner, Periyali (he closed after 40 years to retire--good for him!). The staff was plentiful and friendly and the place was busy (We were there on a Sunday evening about 6 pm.)
    If we found ourselves in the neighborhood again, I would have no particular objection to returning but I wouldn't expect anything exceptional. Good solid, reasonably done (and reasonably priced). I wouldn't go out of my way to return or consider it a destination worth a special trip. I find that there is better Greek food to be had closer to us.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #4 - March 14th, 2016, 7:02 am
    Post #4 - March 14th, 2016, 7:02 am Post #4 - March 14th, 2016, 7:02 am
    I was there about a month or so ago. It was good, but considering how I'd have to drive right past Plateia but I'd still go to Lincolnwood's Psistaria says a lot.

They're going for some modern cuisine, a little more diverse Mediterranean, but ultimately Greek food. It may be a little too upscale for the neighborhood (although no more pricey than its predecessor).

It's also amazing how three remodels later it still looks like a Red Lobster on the inside.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #5 - June 3rd, 2020, 7:24 pm
    Post #5 - June 3rd, 2020, 7:24 pm Post #5 - June 3rd, 2020, 7:24 pm
    Well, we couldn't hold out any longer, and dined out. Weather was ideal tonight: warm and pleasant, low humidity.

Plateia in Niles is not in the same class as LTH fave Psistaria, but they were perfect tonight. They've got a patio nearly as large as their main dining area, and they've added more space out back.

Wow, I've missed table service and food presentation. Greek Trio (skordalia, taramasalata, tzatziki) was three small square bowls each with an olive and four pita wedges (the first two could have used a bit more lemon, but still very good). Keftedakia are fried meatballs served with more pita and tzatziki and halved grape tomatoes. Very tasty (if a little oily). Fried calamari was a very good, crisp, tender rendition with romesco sauce. Greek salad had bright fresh ingredients (decent tomatoes in June!) and a light, slightly sweet dressing. Probably a little more food than we needed, but we are it all.

They're running a limited version of their menu, but there's still plenty to choose from. All staff were masked, we were the only ones we saw who masked up for all interactions. The only gaffe I saw was refilling water glasses from a pitcher, but I didn't see any contamination potential, it was poured from a reasonable height.

It really felt good to dine out after nearly three months. I still don't think we'll do so as frequently as we did "before", at least for a while.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #6 - June 3rd, 2020, 7:28 pm
    Post #6 - June 3rd, 2020, 7:28 pm Post #6 - June 3rd, 2020, 7:28 pm
    JoelF wrote:Well, we couldn't hold out any longer, and dined out. Weather was ideal tonight: warm and pleasant, low humidity.

Plateia in Niles

How was the distancing of the seating?
  • Post #7 - June 3rd, 2020, 8:00 pm
    Post #7 - June 3rd, 2020, 8:00 pm Post #7 - June 3rd, 2020, 8:00 pm
    JoelF wrote:Plateia in Niles is not in the same class as LTH fave Psistaria, but they were perfect tonight.
    As in being vastly superior? Although your non-order/mention of grilled octopus, calamari or shrimp may indicate their calling card isn't something you like, or are used to ordering. I slightly prefer Psistaria's more tart vinaigrette, but adding a skewer of the grilled shrimp to the salad puts Plateia over them. Fried eggplant and zucchini appetizers would need to be my favorite item to put Psistaria on top.
  • Post #8 - June 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm
    Post #8 - June 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm Post #8 - June 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Well, we couldn't hold out any longer, and dined out. Weather was ideal tonight: warm and pleasant, low humidity.

Plateia in Niles

How was the distancing of the seating?

About 10 feet apart. There were a few tables I'd have been a little less comfy than others, but we sequestered in a corner.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #9 - June 3rd, 2020, 9:31 pm
    Post #9 - June 3rd, 2020, 9:31 pm Post #9 - June 3rd, 2020, 9:31 pm
    The wife and I also ate there this week. Terrific patio, quiet, great service, well spaced tables, and very organized. It was very enjoyable!
  • Post #10 - June 4th, 2020, 7:07 am
    Post #10 - June 4th, 2020, 7:07 am Post #10 - June 4th, 2020, 7:07 am
    bweiny wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Plateia in Niles is not in the same class as LTH fave Psistaria, but they were perfect tonight.
    As in being vastly superior? Although your non-order/mention of grilled octopus, calamari or shrimp may indicate their calling card isn't something you like, or are used to ordering. I slightly prefer Psistaria's more tart vinaigrette, but adding a skewer of the grilled shrimp to the salad puts Plateia over them. Fried eggplant and zucchini appetizers would need to be my favorite item to put Psistaria on top.

The items you list as Plateia's best are things SueF isn't fond of, so as we tend to eat meze style we're less likely to order. They certainly were better last night than they have been on previous visits which I found uninspired. Psistaria has a classic Greektown feel -- that atmosphere is certainly part of why I love it so much (tho I haven't been since their recent remodeling). Plateia is going for a modern Greek island vibe with all the white stucco.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #11 - August 25th, 2020, 7:27 am
    Post #11 - August 25th, 2020, 7:27 am Post #11 - August 25th, 2020, 7:27 am
    Plateia has become one of our regulars during outdoor pandemic dining, we've been back twice since (once with SueF's sisters). The food, service, and ambiance remain stellar. Last Friday night their lot was pretty much full, and they've got people well spaced out in their patio, a tent (which admittedly consumes a small piece of parking), and a few folks inside spaced very far apart.

The octopus appetizer was indeed astounding: perfectly tender, buttery sauce.
    The Feta Me Meli is cheese in phyllo with figs and honey -- it's a better dessert than appetizer, but really good.
    Lamb Psito had a similar richness to the octopus sauce, with a tender lamb shank and potatoes. We brought home enough of that for me to have dinner the next night.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #12 - August 29th, 2020, 2:17 pm
    Post #12 - August 29th, 2020, 2:17 pm Post #12 - August 29th, 2020, 2:17 pm
    Based on the recent reviews of JoelF, I visited Plateia yesterday early evening.

I have to say, based on a single meal for two, Plateia is very nearly as good as my favorite, Psistaria, and in some respects, I think a little better.

Certainly the current outdoor patio dining was superior. Table spacing was excellent, and despite yesterday's 90+ temperature, the patio was well shaded and breezy. Waitstaff all seemed to conform to the COVID-19 restrictions, even if many of the patrons couldn't manage the latest Pritzker dictate. I confess that I felt safer dining here than many other outdoor setups I've seen the past months.

But the key was the food. I always try moussaka at any new Greek restaurant that I try, and the moussaka here was served in a casserole style large ramekin. It looked absolutely beautiful, and tasted authentic. The ground meat was not oily, and the bechamel was well executed. I confess, I found it slightly better than the moussaka at Psistaria. My dining partner had the Lavraki (Sea Bass / Branzino ) and it was very good as well, clearly a quality filet, properly prepared and moist, served with grilled vegetables (pepper and eggplant). I couldn't really imagine this dish being better prepared, the natural flavors shone through. We were eating early, so our only appetizer was saganaki (she was visiting from Washington DC, and it appears that no restaurant there actually offers it!), and it was just fine. After all, how can salt, fat, and flamed Metaxa be bad?

Dessert was baklava, a single serving was enough to share, and it was consistent with this area's better examples. We each had a glass of assyrtiko, and for overly priced restaurant wine, it went extremely well with the Lavraki, and was fine with the moussaka.

All in all, this was a very solid performance and well worth a visit. I thank the prior reviewers for this recommendation; in essence, I second it.
  • Post #13 - March 21st, 2021, 5:29 pm
    Post #13 - March 21st, 2021, 5:29 pm Post #13 - March 21st, 2021, 5:29 pm
    Back to Plateia for an early Sunday dinner on a nice warm day. At 4:15 they were pretty full, when we left an hour or so later they had a short line for patio seating.

I hadn't had their keftedakia before, nice little meatballs drizzled with lemon and olive oil, accompanied by tzatziki. Nice crisp exterior (deep fried?), delicious meaty inside.

Gigantes were new to us too. Creamy big beans, olive oil and tomatoes. Huge potion.

Greek salad and skordalia rounded out the meal, finished with the feta in honey mentioned above. Great service, love that patio.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #14 - January 10th, 2023, 8:17 pm
    Post #14 - January 10th, 2023, 8:17 pm Post #14 - January 10th, 2023, 8:17 pm
    Note: sign on the door says they are currently closed Tuesdays. I had gone to neighboring Pita Inn and walked over, curious about the empty lot, but steady stream of cars pulling in and leaving again.
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more