6822 Windsor Ave, Berwyn
    http://lanottecafe.com/
    (708) 749-1800

... is planning to open another outpost on Marion St in Oak Park

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/6- ... -Oak-Park/

At the location of the shuttered...
    Aripo's Venezuelan Arepa House
    118 N Marion St
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on July 11th, 2016, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #32 - June 28th, 2016, 2:43 pm
    Post #32 - June 28th, 2016, 2:43 pm Post #32 - June 28th, 2016, 2:43 pm
    Spilt Milk Pastry opening at 103 S Oak Park Ave.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/o ... story.html
  • Post #33 - June 29th, 2016, 10:30 pm
    Post #33 - June 29th, 2016, 10:30 pm Post #33 - June 29th, 2016, 10:30 pm
    As a friend pointed out, with news of Spilt Milk and the new pie shop coming to the desolate-ish stretch of Harrison that is the "arts district," this being Oak Park we're inevitably due a third pie shop that will take them all down with it (RIP so many cupcake places).

Just kidding, I hope they all do well. I love pie, and the prospect of Spilt Milk and the other one is exciting.

Had a solid first meal at Citrine the other night, and good to know the service was in line with OP expectations, which is to say, it was terrible. Many, many minutes before the drink menu showed up, no silverware, app plates not cleared before entrees ...
  • Post #34 - July 1st, 2016, 5:59 pm
    Post #34 - July 1st, 2016, 5:59 pm Post #34 - July 1st, 2016, 5:59 pm
    Happy Apple Pie Shop is the other pie place, opening in part of the former La Majada building.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/r ... story.html

and

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/o ... story.html

"At just under 1,000 square feet, the Happy Apple space will feature a small retail area with a few seats, plus a commercial kitchen. The entire space will be accessible and open, Mascaro said, from the double doors at the entrance and tables of varying heights in the kitchen, to the customers' ability to see into the kitchen.

Friedberg said they're working with local architect Tom Bassett-Dilley on the project.

"For us, in that area, design is very important," Friedberg said.

Happy Apple Pie Shop offers a blended work environment for people with and without developmental and intellectual disabilities.

The beauty of a pie shop as a place of work for those with and without disabilities, Mascaro said, is that there's a formula to pie-making — with precise amounts and routines — but it also allows for variability with pie fillings, or sweet or savory options. Every job in the pie shop can be done by various people, she said.

"The idea of going to work, going to a meaningful work environment, is important to most people," said Mascaro, who started the business after considering work options for her teenage daughter, Emma, who has an intellectual disability."
  • Post #35 - July 13th, 2016, 2:20 pm
    Post #35 - July 13th, 2016, 2:20 pm Post #35 - July 13th, 2016, 2:20 pm
    And, apparently, there is really good pizza to be had somewhere out here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ct-riverside-pizza-lover-arrest-0714-20160713-story.html
  • Post #36 - July 13th, 2016, 2:47 pm
    Post #36 - July 13th, 2016, 2:47 pm Post #36 - July 13th, 2016, 2:47 pm
    bobbywal wrote:And, apparently, there is really good pizza to be had somewhere out here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ct-riverside-pizza-lover-arrest-0714-20160713-story.html

That is some of the poorest reporting I have ever seen! They neglected to mention the name(s) of the pizza places the offender was hoping to try. :wink:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #37 - July 13th, 2016, 10:03 pm
    Post #37 - July 13th, 2016, 10:03 pm Post #37 - July 13th, 2016, 10:03 pm
    stevez wrote:
    bobbywal wrote:And, apparently, there is really good pizza to be had somewhere out here:

That is some of the poorest reporting I have ever seen! They neglected to mention the name(s) of the pizza places the offender was hoping to try. :wink:

This has been driving me crazy. The only pizza place on the OP side of Harlem that I can think of is Slice Factory (this would be the strongest endorsement of their offerings to date). La Bella and Salernos are both within spitting distance of Harlem but neither is worth risking a criminal record for.
  • Post #38 - July 13th, 2016, 10:32 pm
    Post #38 - July 13th, 2016, 10:32 pm Post #38 - July 13th, 2016, 10:32 pm
    ndgbucktown wrote:
    stevez wrote:

This has been driving me crazy. The only pizza place on the OP side of Harlem that I can think of is Slice Factory (this would be the strongest endorsement of their offerings to date). La Bella and Salernos are both within spitting distance of Harlem but neither is worth risking a criminal record for.

Edwardo's (an increasing rarity) on North, Giordano's on Chicago, and Malnati's on Lake are also all very close to Harlem, but I think you win the chicken dinner with Slice Factory. That makes me miss Homemade Pizza Co. (long-fled from parks both Oak and Hyde). Of course the best pizza on Harlem period is Forno Rosso, but that ain't Oak Park. - The Pizza Professor
  • Post #39 - July 14th, 2016, 8:37 am
    Post #39 - July 14th, 2016, 8:37 am Post #39 - July 14th, 2016, 8:37 am
    I'm hoping he just didn't know where Forno Rosso was located.

In completely unrelated news, I tried the new-to-me Honey Ginger chicken wings at Bodhi Thai last night and they are pretty darn good. Nice sweetness. I could use more spice in my wings, but these seemed like crowd-pleasers.
  • Post #40 - August 1st, 2016, 4:43 pm
    Post #40 - August 1st, 2016, 4:43 pm Post #40 - August 1st, 2016, 4:43 pm
    After relatively inauspicious visits to HM/OPBC I have to report having quite a nice time last night. Previous visits I found the beer to be 'not so great'. My favorite was the rye but even that didn't have me yearning for more. Only one of those visits had us ordering food and while the service was really slow, I have to give them some credit for delivering all of our plates at once with fresh and appropriately hot food. I wasn't left thinking that some of the plates were sitting, finished, under a heat lamp for the long wait. But the food wasn't anything special.

Last night, we wound up there because everywhere else was closed or closing and we didn't feel like going to Poor Phils. The mule cocktails - made with the sister brewery's ginger beer were very nice. But, the revelation for me was the Smoke-eater rauchbier. I have a bit of a weakness for this style, but I also think it is very hard to do well. This version was delicious, if you like this sort of thing. It's a red-tinted rye ale with just the right amount of smoke flavor. In addition, I split one of the cheese-stuffed burgers and found it be very good. The brioche was soft, fresh and buttery. The toppings (bacon, lettuce, tomato, very thinly sliced pickles, and some secret sauces) worked really well and were fresh and to my surprise, the burger was well-seasoned with S&P. We were all very pleasantly surprised. Maybe they are getting their act together. While not as notable, the apps - the poutine and the jerk shrimp - were solid.
  • Post #41 - August 2nd, 2016, 8:29 am
    Post #41 - August 2nd, 2016, 8:29 am Post #41 - August 2nd, 2016, 8:29 am
    bobbywal wrote:After relatively inauspicious visits to HM/OPBC I have to report having quite a nice time last night.....

I had to go back in the thread to figure out HM/OPBC was Hamburger Mary's/Oak Park Brewing Company. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #42 - August 2nd, 2016, 9:18 am
    Post #42 - August 2nd, 2016, 9:18 am Post #42 - August 2nd, 2016, 9:18 am
    I did stop by Hamburger Mary's over the weekend around lunchtime.

Nicely presented but the burger was too lean (not juicy enough) and not seasoned at all. I did try the poutine gravy with my tots and it was somewhat bland as well.

I just get a weird vibe from both places...

WP_20160730_007.jpg
  • Post #43 - August 4th, 2016, 1:04 pm
    Post #43 - August 4th, 2016, 1:04 pm Post #43 - August 4th, 2016, 1:04 pm
    http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/8- ... high_rise/

From the WHJ Facebook page...

Cooper's Hawk restaurant to open in the high-rise mixed-use development known as Vantage Oak Park
  • Post #44 - August 5th, 2016, 6:19 pm
    Post #44 - August 5th, 2016, 6:19 pm Post #44 - August 5th, 2016, 6:19 pm
    Cooper's Hawk restaurant to open in the high-rise mixed-use development known as Vantage Oak Park

That's too bad.
  • Post #45 - August 6th, 2016, 9:17 am
    Post #45 - August 6th, 2016, 9:17 am Post #45 - August 6th, 2016, 9:17 am
    Why "Too Bad"
  • Post #46 - August 6th, 2016, 12:02 pm
    Post #46 - August 6th, 2016, 12:02 pm Post #46 - August 6th, 2016, 12:02 pm
    dradeli wrote:Why "Too Bad"

Speaking just for myself here, it's a bland "casual upscale" appeal-to-everyone chain restaurant akin to Cheesecake Factory or Grand Lux Cafe (https://www.coopershawkwinery.com/); I wasn't impressed at another location. We've had such good recent success with specific regional cuisine, quirky meat stands, and individual chef-driven cocktail and small plate restaurants that this seems a bit corporate for the neighborhood - it doesn't fit the vibe to me.

That said, I'm all for any business to succeed lastingly here. Lou Malnati's (which has more locations) has debatably done a decent job with a branded storefront with a variety of seating options and separate pickup area blending in pretty well with the street.
  • Post #47 - August 6th, 2016, 12:12 pm
    Post #47 - August 6th, 2016, 12:12 pm Post #47 - August 6th, 2016, 12:12 pm
    Exactly what ^^he^^ said.
  • Post #48 - August 6th, 2016, 1:13 pm
    Post #48 - August 6th, 2016, 1:13 pm Post #48 - August 6th, 2016, 1:13 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:I did stop by Hamburger Mary's over the weekend around lunchtime.

Nicely presented but the burger was too lean (not juicy enough)

You want juicy, then I suggest the beautiful Angel LaBare, who sometimes performs on weekends at OPHM or whatever the random acronym is. As the great Gary Wiviott might over-heatedly exclaim, "Sweet Carol Channing's Ghost!"

Angel 3.jpg The ultra-glamorous Angel LaBare
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #49 - August 9th, 2016, 7:59 am
    Post #49 - August 9th, 2016, 7:59 am Post #49 - August 9th, 2016, 7:59 am
    Vitesse98 wrote:OK, here's something I didn't expect: Filipino cuisine in Oak Park. I'd seen the awkwardly named Lola Tining's Cuisine pop up in the a cursed corner space at Harlem and Garfield, in the strip mall across from the Volvo dealership, but I had no idea what it was until someone brought it to my attention that "turo turo" means Filipino carry out. (I guess "Lola" means "grandma?") I haven't tried it yet, but will soon, since it's an intriguing addition with, I assume, an uphill climb ahead of it. My wife forwarded me some dishes they carry, which include: goat kalderetta, beef tapa, garlic rice, mungo stew with mackerel, and acharya/pickled papaya. I know nothing about Filipino cuisine, so assume these are familiar offerings. Anyway, it's right down the street from me, and now on the radar. Hopefully someone knowledgeable can try and report back before it goes the way of many of its predecessors.

Lola Tining's Cuisine
    1141 Garfield St.
    Oak Park, IL 60304
    (708) 616-8000

I have been there twice. Once just to poke my head in the door and grab an order of pancit bihon. Ended up walking out with a couple of comped dishes. All was good.

Stopped by again over the weekend for lunch...

WP_20160806_001.jpg

... and once again all was good. Good flavors (very good sauces) especially the longanisa and several items I did order the older gal at the counter instructed the other to "get some fresh" as opposed to serving the items from the steam table. All of the items had a uniform dark color from steaming too long. She had brought out a pot of fresh braised pork and added it to the stuff on the steam table and mixed it up.

The pancit, made with spaghetti, was a touch dry but was a nice combo of veggies and meat.

Great atmosphere and staff (nice family feeling). Hope they can survive with their steamtable concept and slow business.
  • Post #50 - August 9th, 2016, 1:32 pm
    Post #50 - August 9th, 2016, 1:32 pm Post #50 - August 9th, 2016, 1:32 pm
    My wife reports that there's a sign on the door in the space next to Novo announcing the pending arrival of "The Messy Crab." "GET READY TO GET MESSY," it threatens. Not the most appetizing turn of phrase I could imagine, but of course I'm happy to see another storefront find a tenant. If it turns out to be a Maryland-style crab house with baskets of blue crabs, wooden mallets, and cups of vinegar and Old Bay for dipping, I'll be a happy guy.

Speaking of this stretch of Lake, I should give Novo some love, as I had a very nice anniversary meal there the other week. The manageable menu is about what you'd expect from a wine-centric farm-to-table restaurant: cheese and charcuterie boards, ceviche, tartare, a roast chicken, an $18 burger, etc. (The lone surprise is something called "smelt frites," which they'd just sold out of when we were out there.) The best thing we had was a salad of farro, barley, baby lettuce, chèvre, pickled onions, and grilled peaches: perfectly prepared and balanced. Service was warm and comfortable, and it's a nice, dim, romantic space that's much more intimate and conducive to conversation than, say, Citrine.
  • Post #51 - September 6th, 2016, 6:40 pm
    Post #51 - September 6th, 2016, 6:40 pm Post #51 - September 6th, 2016, 6:40 pm
    A sign posted on the door of Marion Street Market announced to all (including their employees, who've apparently not received their final paychecks) that they have ceased operations, "permanently" this time.
  • Post #52 - September 6th, 2016, 10:14 pm
    Post #52 - September 6th, 2016, 10:14 pm Post #52 - September 6th, 2016, 10:14 pm
    Pretty tacky that they supposedly did this the same day they announced a new restaurant in LaGrange. Anyway, Marion Street hasn't been Marion Street in years. It was on, what, its third relaunch with new owners? Fourth? And many of the regulars had long since jumped ship. Factor in its erratic food and service at the best of times, and, well, let's just say I think I would already miss Citrine and Novo (let alone Autre Monde) more.

Speaking of fancy food in the neighborhood, looks like the Heritage is now open in Forest Park. Have we talked about that? Pricey.

http://www.theheritageforestpark.com

When does that new bakery Spilt Milk open? Or did it?
  • Post #53 - September 6th, 2016, 11:20 pm
    Post #53 - September 6th, 2016, 11:20 pm Post #53 - September 6th, 2016, 11:20 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:Pretty tacky that they supposedly did this the same day they announced a new restaurant in LaGrange.

Well, at least they claim they're going to make good on the final payroll, along with severance payments. If they don't come through, that'd be beyond tacky.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #54 - September 7th, 2016, 9:11 am
    Post #54 - September 7th, 2016, 9:11 am Post #54 - September 7th, 2016, 9:11 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Vitesse98 wrote:Pretty tacky that they supposedly did this the same day they announced a new restaurant in LaGrange.

Well, at least they claim they're going to make good on the final payroll, along with severance payments. If they don't come through, that'd be beyond tacky.

=R=

Additional information here - http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/o ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #55 - September 7th, 2016, 10:59 am
    Post #55 - September 7th, 2016, 10:59 am Post #55 - September 7th, 2016, 10:59 am

The new restaurant in LaGrange - FourteenSixteen. Looks like cheese is no longer the star. :(
    Vitesse98 wrote:Speaking of fancy food in the neighborhood, looks like the Heritage is now open in Forest Park. Have we talked about that? Pricey.

http://www.theheritageforestpark.com

Pricey in the area seems to be a trend. There is some good food being served though...
    Vitesse98 wrote:When does that new bakery Spilt Milk open? Or did it?

As far as I can tell (online) they were supposed to open in August but no announcement. I am past there frequently so I'll take a peek...
  • Post #56 - September 7th, 2016, 1:01 pm
    Post #56 - September 7th, 2016, 1:01 pm Post #56 - September 7th, 2016, 1:01 pm
    If anyone has a hankering for a burger and is now turned off by Hamburger Mary's I suggest walking across the street and trying the completely random and totally delicious burger at Maya Del Sol. Strange, I know. We went with the neighbors for brunch and I couldn't believe how good it was. Cooked to requested med. rare, seasoned perfectly and juicy as hell. They say they use american wagyu. Regardless, I was impressed at this completely random burger. My two qualms were it's on ciabatta, I'm not a fan, and the egg I added wasn't runny, just smashed and fried. I'm sure the egg can be fixed if you specifically asked and though I don't like ciabatta it does hold up to the juicy burger. The fresh cut skinny fries are pretty darn good too. The fries I got might only be for brunch because someone at the table next to me got different non-fresh cut fries when we were leaving at what could've been after brunch-time. I don't know what's up with that since I've only been once.

The wife and I are pretty close to Pete's on Roosevelt & Ridgeland and frequent it quite a bit when we don't feel like cooking. I usually stick to the greek salad with gyro "on the grill" or the regular gyro sandwich. My new favorite order which a friend pointed out to me is the greek chicken dinner. Don't know why I never ordered it before. Juicy chicken that's roasted and sits in its chicken juice when they wrap it in the foil. Pete gives you a lemon to squeeze on top. I was also surprised how good this was since everything else at Pete's is serviceable but not amazing. Worth a try if anyone is passing by. My friend suggests pouring excess jus on the fries for an extra delicious fry concoction. I wouldn't know cause I'm ordered by my doc to low carb, which sucks.

We've been in OP for a year and are quite happy about the openings. Very interested in the crab place that'll be opening up. We've been to Citrine a couple times and also like it quite a bit. I'm down with OP.
    "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good" - The Descendants
  • Post #57 - September 7th, 2016, 1:24 pm
    Post #57 - September 7th, 2016, 1:24 pm Post #57 - September 7th, 2016, 1:24 pm
    We've been in OP for a year and are quite happy about the openings. Very interested in the crab place that'll be opening up. We've been to Citrine a couple times and also like it quite a bit. I'm down with OP.

I'm also curious about the Messy Crab and will try it. But if you need a fix before then, I think you might want to try Seafood Junction (123 Madison). I can't vouch for consistency as I've only had it once. I grabbed take-out (two cajun style snow crab clusters with potatoes) and found it to be a delicious "crab-in-a-bag" option surprisingly close to home.
  • Post #58 - September 7th, 2016, 1:30 pm
    Post #58 - September 7th, 2016, 1:30 pm Post #58 - September 7th, 2016, 1:30 pm
    Been wondering about Seafood Junction. Thanks!
    "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good" - The Descendants
  • Post #59 - September 7th, 2016, 3:14 pm
    Post #59 - September 7th, 2016, 3:14 pm Post #59 - September 7th, 2016, 3:14 pm
    thepld wrote:My two qualms were it's on ciabatta, I'm not a fan, and the egg I added wasn't runny, just smashed and fried. I'm sure the egg can be fixed if you specifically asked and though I don't like ciabatta it does hold up to the juicy burger. The fresh cut skinny fries are pretty darn good too. The fries I got might only be for brunch because someone at the table next to me got different non-fresh cut fries when we were leaving at what could've been after brunch-time. I don't know what's up with that since I've only been once.

When I visited in late July, I also noticed that they'd 86'd the (excellent) brioche bun for ciabatta...sorry to hear that it's stuck around, it seemed like a downgrade to me. Switching up beloved menu items without renaming is a major pet peeve of mine. Last summer, the "Oak Pork" sandwich at Kinderhook Tap switched from a tenderloin to a bbq pulled pork joint and no one said nothin' until it was sitting in front of me and I was wearing a puzzled look.

bobbywal wrote:I grabbed take-out (two cajun style snow crab clusters with potatoes) and found it to be a delicious "crab-in-a-bag" option surprisingly close to home.

Hi, neighbor! As a data point, I have to date enjoyed a single massive bag of crawfish from Seafood Junction. Fine if not spectacular, but such large portions! I'm intrigued by the crab and will put that on my list of places to try. And the folks were quite friendly. It's a substantial upgrade from the dismal cheesesteak place that was there before.
  • Post #60 - September 13th, 2016, 1:34 pm
    Post #60 - September 13th, 2016, 1:34 pm Post #60 - September 13th, 2016, 1:34 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    Vitesse98 wrote:When does that new bakery Spilt Milk open? Or did it?

As far as I can tell (online) they were supposed to open in August but no announcement. I am past there frequently so I'll take a peek...

Not open...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more