LTH Home

Citrine and evolving Oak Park scene

Citrine and evolving Oak Park scene
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 28 of 28 
  • Post #811 - November 7th, 2021, 12:33 pm
    Post #811 - November 7th, 2021, 12:33 pm Post #811 - November 7th, 2021, 12:33 pm
    Victory Italian was decent last night but not great. Clams had no discerning flavor other than an over abundance of lemon. The mixed grill however more than made up for it.

Chicken Cacciatore was bland and for some reason used a pounded boneless, skinless breast. Linguine with clams in white wine sauce and lamb chops were both every good.

The Neapolitan bomb was a very nice end to the meal.

Overall a B, maybe a B+.
  • Post #812 - November 7th, 2021, 4:20 pm
    Post #812 - November 7th, 2021, 4:20 pm Post #812 - November 7th, 2021, 4:20 pm
    zoid wrote:Victory Italian was decent last night but not great.

Interesting! Couldn't get a reservation there so wound up at Citrine. Which was great. Our whole party wasn't feeling too hungry, but all the dishes were hits. I had the eggplant gateau which had a really tasty tomato sauce and ricotta on the side. Other items - cheeseburger, salmon, squash raviolis - delivered as well.

No complaints at all.
  • Post #813 - December 17th, 2021, 7:43 pm
    Post #813 - December 17th, 2021, 7:43 pm Post #813 - December 17th, 2021, 7:43 pm
    Ok, so, my prejudice got the best of me again.

Gringo and Blondie's.

I thought you guys were pimping the tallest little person. Major strikes against it in my mind:
    1. Proximity to Alpine
    2. Proximity to Johnnies
    3. It's too close to the Peoples' Republic of O.P.

I got invited to a lunch today with an old buddy, and he also said this place was pretty good. I figured what the heck. Thoroughly impressed. I assumed these would be 5 dollar Chipotle level joke tacos, but honestly, this is some REALLY good eats here. 12.99 lunch special of 3 tacos, rice/beans AND a drink was a borderline bargain. The steak was real, the chicken was actually good, and the fish tacos were a damn fine rendition. Nothing was overseasoned or over cooked. Their salsa game was on the weaker side, but that's almost trivial because the tacos were so good. I imagine they have to keep it tame for the customer base. The verde was barely passable - more just like a limey/tangy flavor, and the roja had a touch of roastiness, and a little bit of a chile bite, so it was better. Wish I'd tried this place out long ago. Asada and fish were the stars for me, but the chicken was fine, too. The fish tacos are included in the lunch special offering. That would make a pretty tough lunchtime decision for me. Heresy, I bet, but I'd rank the fish tacos a notch above a Johnnie's beef. They almost break into Johnnie's Combo territory - but, I really like a good fish taco. I know a lot of folks think Alpine is too skimpy with their sammich fillings, but that's another place that's right next door, that I absolutely LOVE. Tough choices in those few blocks, I guess.

Gringo & Blondie's is no joke.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #814 - December 18th, 2021, 9:56 am
    Post #814 - December 18th, 2021, 9:56 am Post #814 - December 18th, 2021, 9:56 am
    I'm new to the People's Republic so when a friend and neighbor recommended Gringo and Blondie's as a lunch choice for me and my Mexican friends who were helping me blow up my garden, I was, uh, skeptical. The name is bold but I'd respond better to the provocation if it was in Little Village instead of Oak Park. But damn if these weren't some solid tacos. Not destination but I'm glad they're nearby. As seabee mentions the green sauce was lacking, the red sauce better. But I generally take my tacos with onions and cilantro alone and both the asada and the fish were quite good. Definitely a cut above.
  • Post #815 - December 18th, 2021, 2:45 pm
    Post #815 - December 18th, 2021, 2:45 pm Post #815 - December 18th, 2021, 2:45 pm
    If good, reasonably priced tacos are on your radar, all one needs to do is head west on Lake Street into Melrose Park. Los Camales and Don Alfredo will quickly and authentically satisfy your taco desires. Then scurry back to O.P. without anyone knowing you are gone—other than onions and cilantro on your breath. (Less noticeable today with a mask). Enjoy!
  • Post #816 - December 20th, 2021, 12:32 pm
    Post #816 - December 20th, 2021, 12:32 pm Post #816 - December 20th, 2021, 12:32 pm
    Speaking of tacos: Taco El Tio #4 is open in the old Five Guys and seems a nice add to the neighborhood. The vibe is perhaps more Melrose Park than Oak Park, with a big menu including huaraches, pambazos and sopes in addition to the usual tacos and tortas. Soups on the weekend, including birria de res and menudo. I had the birria de res and loved it, lightly spicy and salty, with tons of meat that filled a couple of huge hand-made tortillas. I also had a cabeza taco which had great texture but was maybe just a little bland. The red and green salsas helped but were also fairly tame. The rest of the family was happy with al pastor and steak tacos. I'll go back, especially for the soup.
  • Post #817 - December 20th, 2021, 12:41 pm
    Post #817 - December 20th, 2021, 12:41 pm Post #817 - December 20th, 2021, 12:41 pm
    tazerowe wrote:Speaking of tacos: Taco El Tio #4 is open in the old Five Guys and seems a nice add to the neighborhood. The vibe is perhaps more Melrose Park than Oak Park, with a big menu including huaraches, pambazos and sopes in addition to the usual tacos and tortas. Soups on the weekend, including birria de res and menudo. I had the birria de res and loved it, lightly spicy and salty, with tons of meat that filled a couple of huge hand-made tortillas. I also had a cabeza taco which had great texture but was maybe just a little bland. The red and green salsas helped but were also fairly tame. The rest of the family was happy with al pastor and steak tacos. I'll go back, especially for the soup.

Very much agreed, and also their flan in the refrigerator case is a knockout.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more