LTH Home

Citrine and evolving Oak Park scene

Citrine and evolving Oak Park scene
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 22 of 29
  • Post #631 - September 19th, 2019, 7:45 am
    Post #631 - September 19th, 2019, 7:45 am Post #631 - September 19th, 2019, 7:45 am
    Vital Information wrote:
    seebee wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:Northwest corner of Euclid and Lake

Some pretty big shoes to fill on that corner.
    SW corner is even more hallowed ground.

Tasty Dog ?

Actually Tasty Dog has been both...

SW (first) with their Salad Dog topped with a handful of lettuce. You had to eat most of the lettuce to be able to fit the dog in your mouth.

Then NW. When the village pulled some kind of eminent domain they were able to build a brand new building right across the street. While successful it lost a lot of charm. Until a few years before they closed they used to have my beloved Deep Fried Tacos (ala Jack-in-the-Box) but switched over to a more traditional :( . They also cut way back on the lettuce from a handful to just a sprinkling.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #632 - September 19th, 2019, 9:20 am
    Post #632 - September 19th, 2019, 9:20 am Post #632 - September 19th, 2019, 9:20 am
    Vital Information wrote:
    seebee wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    Northwest corner of Euclid and Lake

Some pretty big shoes to fill on that corner.
    SW corner is even more hallowed ground.

Tasty Dog ?

Yup.
    My memories of it being on the SW corner are fond ones. Was it the greatest? No. But it was truly an institution. The folks that worked there watched my siblings and I, and most of our friends grow up on their salad dogs, and (from a can) cheese fries. Many, many orders of cheese fries. I remember my mom and I splitting a double dog (mostly salad) and an order of fries as a diet cheat day. Always knew the smell of TD's fries in the house.

And those 8 inch high burgers - mostly lettuce and tomatoes. LOVED em!
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #633 - September 19th, 2019, 10:57 am
    Post #633 - September 19th, 2019, 10:57 am Post #633 - September 19th, 2019, 10:57 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:Actually Tasty Dog has been both...

SW (first)...

Then NW.

This reminds me of the Carm’s saga on Roosevelt Rd.

They first had a rickety shack on the south side and then built a new building right across the street to the north (where Ino’s is now).

Business on the southside was good but after moving to the north it wasn’t the same. Business tapered down and they eventually closed.

Not nearly the same circumstances as Tasty Dog but...
  • Post #634 - September 19th, 2019, 3:37 pm
    Post #634 - September 19th, 2019, 3:37 pm Post #634 - September 19th, 2019, 3:37 pm
    seebee wrote:Yup.
    My memories of it being on the SW corner are fond ones. Was it the greatest? No. But it was truly an institution. The folks that worked there watched my siblings and I, and most of our friends grow up on their salad dogs, and (from a can) cheese fries. Many, many orders of cheese fries. I remember my mom and I splitting a double dog (mostly salad) and an order of fries as a diet cheat day. Always knew the smell of TD's fries in the house.

And those 8 inch high burgers - mostly lettuce and tomatoes. LOVED em!

I frequented Tasty Dog many, many times, but in reality it was because it was a close and convenient option, not because the food was great. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as a whole bunch of other places to get a hot dog or burger. Growing up on the north side, the bar was set pretty high with Fluky's, Wolfy's, Terry's and Pauls Umbrella. Tasty Dog was never close. It had some charm when it was on the SW corner, but being gifted that new building and then not being able to keep it going was a OP fiasco on many levels.
  • Post #635 - September 19th, 2019, 5:12 pm
    Post #635 - September 19th, 2019, 5:12 pm Post #635 - September 19th, 2019, 5:12 pm
    Tacos!
    Panther in the Den wrote:Oh boy!

More tacos! :)

Replacing Cochina de los Lobos

Taco Tu
    7341 Madison, Forest Park
    https://m.facebook.com/tacotuforestparkillinois/

750C6FB0-F984-41D3-A31A-39FBA4ED853A.jpeg

Might not be open yet. A week ago they were mentioning grand opening soon.

Update 6-22...

B4523148-72BA-49C1-A95E-D1D4FD3E2BD7.jpeg

Now open! $1 taco opening specials.

C77EE91F-15C7-4D58-A1A5-0D278174FE45.jpeg

Stopped by today shortly after they opened for a quick steak taco.

As I sat down I was presented with chips and salsa, water. Chips average, salsa fresh but very mild.

As the taco was the placed on the bar the odor of fresh grilled meat was wafting up. Some browned pieces, medium chop.

There was no hot sauce squeeze bottles brought out and when asked she mentioned no one used them so she gave them away. She did go in back and get me a small bowl of s nicely spicy green.

Good flavor, tender and juicy. Nice puddle of juice on the plate when I was done. Maybe it was because they just opened that it was so fresh?

Sorry no photo.

They make their own tortillas for the quesadillas, Gorditas and another item. Tacos get regular.

After I was served I struck up a conversation with the gal behind the bar, turns out she was the owner, Linda. Personable and not shy about talking about her favorite other restaurants...

La Quinta de los Reyes
    Fine Mexican Restaurant & Bar
    6431 Cermak Rd, Berwyn

She used to work in the area and would visit often. She appreciated them making guacamole tableside. If you order guac at Tu it will be made fresh but not tableside.

She also enjoyed dancing in a he club above. :)

Taquerías Atotonilco
    3916 W 26th St, Chicago

Her personal favorite place for tacos. I had mistaken it for...

Delicias Mexicanas Restaurant
    4148 W 26th St, Chicago

... which has been my favorite place for Sonoran hotdogs (especially as a part of a 1-2 punch with...

Troha's Chicken & Shrimp House
    4151 W 26th St, Chicago)

... across the street. :)

She’s had family parties at...

Taqueria Aguascalientes
    2106 S Cicero Ave, Cicero

... and remembers visiting with friends when their multiple storefronts served different specialties. If one wanted one item, another something else. Which storefront would they sit?

It’s unified now.

All in all a good visit! I am eager to return, especially on $1 taco Tuesdays. :)
  • Post #636 - September 19th, 2019, 5:18 pm
    Post #636 - September 19th, 2019, 5:18 pm Post #636 - September 19th, 2019, 5:18 pm
    Tacos!
    Panther in the Den wrote:Oh boy!

More tacos! :)

Replacing Cochina de los Lobos

Taco Tu
    7341 Madison, Forest Park
    https://m.facebook.com/tacotuforestparkillinois/

The attachment 750C6FB0-F984-41D3-A31A-39FBA4ED853A.jpeg is no longer available

Might not be open yet. A week ago they were mentioning grand opening soon.

Update 6-22...

The attachment B4523148-72BA-49C1-A95E-D1D4FD3E2BD7.jpeg is no longer available

Now open! $1 taco opening specials.

The attachment C77EE91F-15C7-4D58-A1A5-0D278174FE45.jpeg is no longer available

Stopped by today shortly after they opened for a quick steak taco.

As I sat down I was presented with chips and salsa, water. Chips average, salsa fresh but very mild. Pickled vegetables had a nice amount of heat. No garlic as she mentioned the customers didn’t prefer it?

EE1C65AE-FAFA-4760-A068-978512FC1B3B.jpeg

As the taco was the placed on the bar the odor of fresh grilled meat was wafting up. Some browned pieces, medium chop.

There was no hot sauce squeeze bottles brought out and when asked she mentioned no one used them so she gave them away. She did go in back and get me a small bowl of a nicely spicy green.

Good flavor, tender and juicy. Nice puddle of juice on the plate when I was done. Maybe it was because they just opened that it was so fresh?

Sorry no photo.

They make their own tortillas for the quesadillas, Gorditas and another item. Tacos get regular.

After I was served I struck up a conversation with the gal behind the bar, turns out she was the owner, Linda. Personable and not shy about talking about her favorite other restaurants...

La Quinta de los Reyes
    Fine Mexican Restaurant & Bar
    6431 Cermak Rd, Berwyn

She used to work in the area and would visit often. She appreciated them making guacamole tableside. If you order guac at Tu it will be made fresh but not tableside.

She also enjoyed dancing in the club above. :)

Taquerías Atotonilco
    3916 W 26th St, Chicago

Her personal favorite place for tacos. I had mistaken it for...

Delicias Mexicanas Restaurant
    4148 W 26th St, Chicago

... which has been my favorite place for Sonoran hotdogs (especially as a part of a 1-2 punch with...

Troha's Chicken & Shrimp House
    4151 W 26th St, Chicago)

... across the street. :)

She’s had family parties at...

Taqueria Aguascalientes
    2106 S Cicero Ave, Cicero

... and remembers visiting with friends when their multiple storefronts served different specialties. If one wanted one item, another something else. Which storefront would they sit?

It’s unified now.

I have respect for a restaurant owner that refuses to eat anywhere else (or maybe talk about it). She is a foodie at heart. :)

All in all a good visit! I am eager to return, especially on $1 taco Tuesdays. :)

81CD7705-A830-4D11-91DC-9CE1281B33A8.jpeg

This is a second location of the other local place...

Taco Yo
    6629 Roosevelt Rd, Berwyn

Before they opened here they looked at...

Ino's
    7100 Roosevelt Rd, Oak Park

... (which I mentioned was for sale). The owner of Ino’s wanted a million bucks for the building and property. She thought he was ridiculous.

Speaking of Ino’s...

FC7952FD-6F90-4B8D-B1B0-A3BE8CC542F1.jpeg
  • Post #637 - September 20th, 2019, 3:59 pm
    Post #637 - September 20th, 2019, 3:59 pm Post #637 - September 20th, 2019, 3:59 pm
    Took a walk on the wildside. :)

Terry's Place
    5950 W Madison St, Chicago

I had been seeing this place forever but never crossed into the Westside to give it a try.

Needed a snack today and decided today was the day!

IMG_20190920_155056926.jpg

Their dog listed on the menu was depression style but he mentioned to upgrade to pickle, tomato and celery salt was no extra charge.

Fries included, asked what toppings I would care for and when asked he mentioned "When you're on this side of Austin you have a choice of salt, pepper, lemon pepper, hot sauce, or BBQ sauce". :)

IMG_20190920_155052912.jpg

"Lemon pepper and hot sauce please."

Very good! Not surprised as they are a Vienna Hall of Fame recipient. In business for 49 years.

If in the area you could do a lot worse.
  • Post #638 - September 23rd, 2019, 3:41 pm
    Post #638 - September 23rd, 2019, 3:41 pm Post #638 - September 23rd, 2019, 3:41 pm
    The ever evolving sushi place at Madison and Des Plaines in Forest Park will now be known as...

FFA96404-DDAB-4BF1-91F0-D50B98AD0DC6.jpeg
  • Post #639 - September 24th, 2019, 1:43 pm
    Post #639 - September 24th, 2019, 1:43 pm Post #639 - September 24th, 2019, 1:43 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:New in the hood...

Mancini's
    1111 Lake St, Oak Park

... appears to have reopened. Thought there might be a name change now that Chef Vincehas taken over fromthe Mancini Family.

Probably a connection to...
    Mancini's Chophouse
    1807 Division St, Melrose Park

Which also appears to be somewhat new.

Color me wrong.

Stopped at...

Carm's Beef
    1057 W Polk St, Chicago, IL 60607

039B610F-A74B-47C5-9419-9892E05E154F.jpeg Carms Beef

... for nostalgias sake (and only) and the owner asked where I was from with my Hawaiian shirt, “Oak Park”, and he mentioned his wife is good friends with the Mancini Family.

The Old Man got out several years ago and his daughter (in law?) took over operations. Was open for a few years and finally closed.

“Old Man Mancini is definitely back running the restaurant“.

I asked about Chef Vince and he replied...

“I don’t know nuttin about this guy Vince. It’s Old Man Mancini.”
  • Post #640 - September 27th, 2019, 12:31 am
    Post #640 - September 27th, 2019, 12:31 am Post #640 - September 27th, 2019, 12:31 am
    Panther in the Den wrote: {edit}
    Stopped at...
    Carm's Beef
    1057 W Polk St, Chicago, IL 60607

... for nostalgia's sake (and only) and the owner asked where I was from with my Hawaiian shirt, “Oak Park”, and he mentioned his wife is good friends with the Mancini Family.
    The Old Man got out several years ago and his daughter (in law?) took over operations. Was open for a few years and finally closed.
    “Old Man Mancini is definitely back running the restaurant.”
    I asked about Chef Vince and he replied...
    “I don’t know nuttin' about this guy Vince. It’s Old Man Mancini.”
    This thread is twisting again :o, but that photograph of Carm's Beef looks quite appetizing.
    Of course, the key problem with Carm's is its proximity to Al's Beef on W. Taylor. Even when Mario's Italian Lemonade across the street is closed for the season, it is difficult to not wind up eating the italian beef at Al's. :|
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #641 - September 27th, 2019, 8:23 am
    Post #641 - September 27th, 2019, 8:23 am Post #641 - September 27th, 2019, 8:23 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:Busy time in The Kingdom!

Opening soon...

Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea

What a great time to be alive. :)

Open!

702 Lake St, Oak Park

Also noticed they have another location...

1620 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago

Looks nicely polished. Might stop in for a cuppa although I have been spoiling My Bride with some nice coffee daily on our Back Porch...

3F73F7B6-0B4E-4A42-A60E-6E6A4DA16246.jpeg
  • Post #642 - September 27th, 2019, 8:31 am
    Post #642 - September 27th, 2019, 8:31 am Post #642 - September 27th, 2019, 8:31 am
    pudgym29 wrote: This thread is twisting again :o, but that photograph of Carm's Beef looks quite appetizing.
    Of course, the key problem with Carm's is its proximity to Al's Beef on W. Taylor. Even when Mario's Italian Lemonade across the street is closed for the season, it is difficult to not wind up eating the italian beef at Al's. :|

Carm’s hit it squarely on the beef and bread but the au jus was as so weak... I will try visiting again during primetime before dismissing them entirely.

... especially since I could smell Al’s around the corner.

Very similar (almost exact) to my recent 2:00 pm visit to...

Serrelli's Finer Foods
    6454 W North Ave, Chicago

4371734C-A335-4613-8066-1A3EC07876DF.jpeg

(twisting the tread back locally :) )
  • Post #643 - September 27th, 2019, 9:27 am
    Post #643 - September 27th, 2019, 9:27 am Post #643 - September 27th, 2019, 9:27 am
    Fairgrounds Coffee looked packed this morning.
  • Post #644 - September 27th, 2019, 1:58 pm
    Post #644 - September 27th, 2019, 1:58 pm Post #644 - September 27th, 2019, 1:58 pm
    tazerowe wrote:What did make an impression was the beer. Last time we were there, around opening day, the beer was fine, but the styles chosen were not my typical choices (English mild, CA common, German black, etc.), so I had a hard time really judging them. Yesterday, they had added an IPA, which is more in my wheelhouse, and it was quite good. I'd put it up with the best in Chicago, in a modern East Coast leaning style but not as sweet as many from say Marz, Sketchbook or Temperance. Maybe Miskatonic would be the best comparison. It was excellent and something I would order anywhere.

More of the same from me. I was there at the beginning of the summer and was very underwhelmed by the beer. It was fine, but it, alone, wasn't going to get me up there with any frequency.

I was back last night for a benefit party. Had the IPA and was blown away. A very fresh and tasty representative of that style and one I would definitely return for. I would put it up against my current favorite of the species, Jai Alai. High marks for the mushroom arancini appetizer as well.
  • Post #645 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:33 am
    Post #645 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:33 am Post #645 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:33 am

Opening soon...

Daly Bagel - late summer

Now projected for November...

Can’t wait! :P
  • Post #646 - October 5th, 2019, 9:55 am
    Post #646 - October 5th, 2019, 9:55 am Post #646 - October 5th, 2019, 9:55 am

SW (first)...

Then NW.

They first had a rickety shack on the south side and then built a new building right across the street to the north (where Ino’s is now).

Business on the southside was good but after moving to the north it wasn’t the same. Business tapered down and they eventually closed.

The first time I went to Carm's it was on Cicero Ave in Cicero. Then moved to the south side of Roosevelt near Parky's in Berwyn, then across the street, then to wolf road in Hillside ( Chicke's moved in (prior to moving to Roosevelt) when Carm's left. Last I heard they were in Tinley Park. Still the same family since Cicero.
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #647 - October 7th, 2019, 9:28 am
    Post #647 - October 7th, 2019, 9:28 am Post #647 - October 7th, 2019, 9:28 am
    Marshall K wrote:

SW (first)...

Then NW.

The first time I went to Carm's it was on Cicero Ave in Cicero. Then moved to the south side of Roosevelt near Parky's in Berwyn, then across the street, then to wolf road in Hillside ( Chicke's moved in (prior to moving to Roosevelt) when Carm's left. Last I heard they were in Tinley Park. Still the same family since Cicero.

Back in the day when Carm’s was on Cicero there were actually 3 locations open with Berwyn being one and I forget the other.

Tinley Park was much later and is also now closed.
  • Post #648 - October 8th, 2019, 7:31 am
    Post #648 - October 8th, 2019, 7:31 am Post #648 - October 8th, 2019, 7:31 am
    I'm pretty sure one of the outposts was Carm's II on 85th & Cicero. I ate there a lot when my job was just south of there in the late 70's - early 80's.
  • Post #649 - October 8th, 2019, 1:46 pm
    Post #649 - October 8th, 2019, 1:46 pm Post #649 - October 8th, 2019, 1:46 pm
    Just a shout out for...

J Wok Chinese Kitchen
    6641 Roosevelt Rd, Berwyn

My Bride and I have a tradition when returning from a trip to get some Chinese Food after unloading the car. We have worked most of the places along Roosevelt Rd without much disappointment. We’ve been recently stopping here.

The one thing that stands out is their use of spice in their food. My traditional go to is the Mushroom Egg Foo Young and even it’s gravy was packing a bit of heat (very unusual!).

Last night we decided the second entree to be Mongolian Beef and for the most part it was too spicy for My Bride. While this dish does have a tradition to be spicy and they weren’t shy about ramping it up.

We will often get the Beef and Pea Pods and that is mild more in line with the traditional.

Egg Rolls were unexceptional.

So if you want a break from the very uniform flavor profiles of all the local Cantonese places and don’t mind a bit of spice give them a try.
  • Post #650 - October 8th, 2019, 7:10 pm
    Post #650 - October 8th, 2019, 7:10 pm Post #650 - October 8th, 2019, 7:10 pm
    Jwok is pretty much the only Chinese place in the immediate area we'll order from anymore. And that's ONLY if we have out of town guests and it's too late to hop down to Chinatown. Let's face it, the Chinese food around here, since Katy's died, is pretty abysmal. At J-Wok, under the "Authentic Chinese Dishes" section, there is something one of my Asian buddies at work turned me on to as a "go to" in Chinese restaurants: Fish Fillet & Chinese Broccoli on Thick Rice Noodle.

Think "Fried Fish Chow Fun, with broccoli and onion." IMO, it sounds like a perfect food. Thick chewy, chow fun noodles, nicely crisp and fragrant with wok hei, al dente broccoli, with perhaps some charred bits from the wok, and chunks of fried fish, not soggy from standard oyster based brown sauce, with some onion slivers. Add some chili oil to that wok, and seriously, I AM IN! I've had some really great versions of it, one joint out in Buffalo Grove comes to mind, but I forgot the name.
    I've had it three times at J-Wok, and dependent upon how absolutely careless and lazy the chef is that day, you might get something worthwhile. I'm batting .333 in my three tries. You really have to explain that you want seared extra crispy noodles, or you're gonna get them straight from the water, clumpy and stupid. There's literally NO pride happening when they've stuck me with those crappy versions. Like, they HAD to be laughing when they were packaging that 12.95 up for me.

I'll take a cold baloney sandwich made with pride over stupid, overpriced, glop, any day of the week. I'm guessing Chinese places in the area here make a killing, since they just have to ladle out crap day in and day out. Honestly, if J-Wok didn't do smoothies with boba, I'd have very little use for them. They run a decent business, always seems to be poppin with phone orders. The menu is huge, and they have lots of specials every day. It's well run, but I wish they'd have several upticks in food quality. It's basically well run standard glop, from my point of view. Best in area, but that's not saying much.

Sorry for the slight ranting, but I would LOVE for Jwok to be much better than it is. They have the business side down pat. Much respect for that. But the food I've had from there - total crapshoot.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #651 - October 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm
    Post #651 - October 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm Post #651 - October 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm
    Has anyone been the the new Cajun boil on South Blvd?
  • Post #652 - October 11th, 2019, 9:28 am
    Post #652 - October 11th, 2019, 9:28 am Post #652 - October 11th, 2019, 9:28 am
    An old standby. :)

Pete's Red Hots
    6346 Roosevelt Rd, Oak Park

Finally got around to trying their beef. I’ve never visited with a prejudice dating back decades to the old gyros wars with the now closed Kings and Queens.

Thanks to another group I’ve been able to overcome that. :)

My last visit was for their highly recommended Grecian Chicken (awesome)...

669E4D37-1390-4E99-B494-D66EC5738C06.jpeg

... and when there I saw the sign for their housemade Italian Beef.

0B99E28B-D533-4877-8E83-2AA35346F8B2.jpeg

Very good! Tender beef with a nice flavor to the au jus, somewhere between the beefiness of Mr Beef and the heavy spice of Al’s. The green peppers were good. I asked for an easy dip but it was a little wetter than I preferred. Maybe ask for a some spooned on top? Maybe a cup on the side?

FB9ADEB4-30E1-49CB-9AD6-18F94E1D469D.jpeg

Well filled sandwich that was a meal.

All in all one of the better offerings in the area. ... and all we thought they had were gyros. :)
  • Post #653 - October 12th, 2019, 12:59 pm
    Post #653 - October 12th, 2019, 12:59 pm Post #653 - October 12th, 2019, 12:59 pm
    The subthread on Amarinds has been merged with an existing thread on the restaurant. See viewtopic.php?p=1114#p1114

Please try to keep discussion of a particular restaurant in a dedicated thread for that restaurant. That makes it easier for future readers to find all relevant posts. Posting in these catch-all threads may be easier on you, but means fewer people will read your post. Create a new thread if one doesn't exist.
  • Post #654 - October 15th, 2019, 1:37 pm
    Post #654 - October 15th, 2019, 1:37 pm Post #654 - October 15th, 2019, 1:37 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Restaurant Row
    Gringo & Blondie Taqueria & Churreria - Summer
    Pork and Mindy’s

Pork and Mindy’s - No progress whatsoever. Bare walls, empty space.

Gringo & Blondie Taqueria & Churreria - Window wall complete, graphics on them. Advertising for staff.
  • Post #655 - October 17th, 2019, 10:08 am
    Post #655 - October 17th, 2019, 10:08 am Post #655 - October 17th, 2019, 10:08 am

Forest Park
    Chirrion (The Forest Perk)

Chirrion
    7510 Madison St, Forest Park

Open! (about 3 weeks)

Ducked in and grabbed a menu $3.50 (and up) tacos! The taco price escalation continues. ... and I thought the $3 ones from other new places was excessive.

Nothing really stood out other than all day breakfast offerings (they open at 11?). I’ll take a closer look.

I asked the gal what distinguishes them from the other places? She couldn’t answer other than to say their food was good!?!

I’ll drop by for a steak taco soon and it better be well filled, tender and delicious otherwise I’ll be going to...

Taco Tu
    7321 Madison St, Forest Park
  • Post #656 - October 18th, 2019, 6:42 am
    Post #656 - October 18th, 2019, 6:42 am Post #656 - October 18th, 2019, 6:42 am

Forest Park
    Chirrion (The Forest Perk)

Chirrion
    7510 Madison St, Forest Park

Open! (about 3 weeks)

Ducked in and grabbed a menu $3.50 (and up) tacos! The taco price escalation continues. ... and I thought the $3 ones from other new places was excessive.

Nothing really stood out other than all day breakfast offerings (they open at 11?). I’ll take a closer look.

I asked the gal what distinguishes them from the other places? She couldn’t answer other than to say their food was good!?!

I’ll drop by for a steak taco soon and it better be well filled, tender and delicious otherwise I’ll be going to...

Taco Tu
    7321 Madison St, Forest Park

Well I had a chance to look the menu over.

The all day breakfast offerings is actually interesting. The additional availability of Chilaquiles and a Chorizo and Egg Burrito isn’t a bad thing. :)

Speaking about burritos, $13 for a plain steak burrito? This is approaching the price point at New Rebozo! At NR you will get rice, beans, atmosphere and the availability of some excellent Margaritas.

It seems like they are trying to bring a upscale restaurant experience to a store front taco place. It is nicely decorated but it still has counter service. Maybe it was really a hostess station? :)

Granted they do pride themselves in providing quality ingredients, Outer Skirt Steak for example. I recently gave this cut a whirl at home and it really made a difference. So much so that I am blaming technique and want to give it another try using the Inner to see.

A visit for a simple taco will tell the tale. Soon, soon...
  • Post #657 - October 18th, 2019, 7:42 am
    Post #657 - October 18th, 2019, 7:42 am Post #657 - October 18th, 2019, 7:42 am
    Pork and Mindy’s

Gringo & Blondie Taqueria & Churreria - Window wall complete, graphics on them. Advertising for staff.

Drove by this morning. The sign that said “Future home of Pork and Mindys” is no longer there, and there is still no sign of work being done. Maybe this project is dead?
  • Post #658 - October 18th, 2019, 7:44 am
    Post #658 - October 18th, 2019, 7:44 am Post #658 - October 18th, 2019, 7:44 am
    thetrob wrote:
    Pork and Mindy’s

Drove by this morning. The sign that said “Future home of Pork and Mindys” is no longer there, and there is still no sign of work being done. Maybe this project is dead?

Wow! I did a driveby on Tuesday and the sign was still up.

This is sad news. :( I was looking forward.
  • Post #659 - October 18th, 2019, 7:54 am
    Post #659 - October 18th, 2019, 7:54 am Post #659 - October 18th, 2019, 7:54 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:Wow! I did a driveby on Tuesday and the sign was still up.

I drive by it almost every day, today is the first day I noticed it was gone. Let's see what the next few days bring. Maybe it was removed as they are going to be removing the windows or something? Not sure.

Has anyone had Pork and Mindy's? What is your opinion? I have tried some of the locations downtown a few times and was not blown away by anything. Menu items sound great but execution was not as expected and value/portion size was not great.
    Last edited by thetrob on October 18th, 2019, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #660 - October 18th, 2019, 8:06 am
    Post #660 - October 18th, 2019, 8:06 am Post #660 - October 18th, 2019, 8:06 am
    thetrob wrote:
    Vital Information wrote:Wow! I did a driveby on Tuesday and the sign was still up.

I drive by it almost every day, today is the first day I noticed it was gone. Let's see what the next few days bring. Maybe it was removed as they are going to be removing the windows or something? Not sure.

Has anyone had Pork and Mindy's? What is your opinion? I have tried some of the locations downtown a few times and was not blown away by anything. Menu items sound great but execution was not as expected and value/portion size was not great.

We had visited the Bucktown location...

Pork & Mindy's
    1623 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago

... and thought it was good! I thought the different flavor combinations in the sandwiches were special enough to set them apart and the Bacon Candy was fun. :) Nice atmosphere.

141DF6EC-1BF5-492E-ABBB-1BE792C8CCB4.jpeg

Kinda reminded me of the nice flavor combinations that Bobby Flay was able to come up with for Big Guys when they first opened. There is something about a chef’s touch brought to a simple sandwich.

Price? Well it’s price. I’ve long given up on complaining about price. I’ll try any place once but might not go back.

I once got shouted down about complaining about a nice roasted chicken dinner at a good Mexican rotisserie place comparing it to Jewel. If you want something good often you will have to pay.
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on October 18th, 2019, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more