LTH Home

Claudia

Claudia
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Claudia

Post #1 - July 23rd, 2016, 10:54 am
    Post #1 - July 23rd, 2016, 10:54 am Post #1 - July 23rd, 2016, 10:54 am
    Curious if any LTH'ers have been to one of the Claudia pop-up dinners lately?

I went last summer but haven't been since then, and I haven't been able to find much feedback about them lately.
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #2 - March 27th, 2017, 11:23 am
    Post #2 - March 27th, 2017, 11:23 am Post #2 - March 27th, 2017, 11:23 am
    Hi everyone — I’m excited to launch our Spring fine dining pop-up series dinners at Claudia. We have our 9-course tasting menus available on both Friday, April 14 & Friday, May 12 (which is two days before Mother’s Day). We have 5pm & 8:30pm seatings available on both dates. Claudia is BYOB. You can view our menu and buy tickets via our website @ [http://claudiarestaurant.com]. Happy to answer any questions you may have as well! Cheers!
  • Post #3 - July 20th, 2017, 12:02 pm
    Post #3 - July 20th, 2017, 12:02 pm Post #3 - July 20th, 2017, 12:02 pm
    I'm excited to announce Chef Jake Bickelhaupt — formerly of 42 Grams — to join us for pop-up dinners at Claudia!

CHICAGO (July 17, 2017) – Claudia popup restaurant welcomes chef Jake Bickelhaupt – formerly of two Michelin star 42 Grams restaurant — to join him for four exclusive collaborative fine-dining pop-up dinners on Friday, August 11 and Sunday, August 13.

Bickelhaupt and I will alternate courses and will collaborate on some courses during the dinners. Bickelhaupt will draw inspiration for his courses from 42 Grams, Sous Rising (Bickelhaupt's underground pop-up restaurant before opening 42 Grams), and he will experiment with new dishes as well.

Tickets for the collaborative dinners must be purchased via http://www.claudiarestaurant.com. The 5:30pm seating on Friday, August 11 and the 5pm seating on Sunday, August 13 will each be eight courses and will cost $225 per person (tax and gratuity are not included in pricing). The 8:30pm seating on Friday, August 11 and the 8:30pm seating on Sunday, August 13 will each be twelve courses and will cost $325 per person (tax and gratuity are not included in pricing).

Tickets for all four dinners must be purchased via http://www.claudiarestaurant.com. All four dinners will be BYOB with no corkage fee, each of the four dinners can accommodate up to 16 guests, and all four dinners will be held at a private event space located at 327 N Bell Ave on the Near North Side.

Also, tickets are still available for our summer ten-course Claudia dinner on Friday, July 28 with seatings at 5:30pm (sold out) and 8:30pm. Tickets for that dinner are $165 each and can also be purchased at http://www.claudiarestaurant.com. Each seating can accommodate up to 16 guests each, and both seatings will also be held at a private event space located at 327 N Bell Ave on the Near North Side.

Claudia was a finalist in the "Best Alternative Dining” category in the 2017 Jean Banchet Awards.

See you there!

-Trevor
  • Post #4 - February 26th, 2018, 5:53 pm
    Post #4 - February 26th, 2018, 5:53 pm Post #4 - February 26th, 2018, 5:53 pm
    Claudia closing; final pop-up dinners will be March 10 and 11 (Chicago Tribune)
  • Post #5 - October 8th, 2019, 11:23 am
    Post #5 - October 8th, 2019, 11:23 am Post #5 - October 8th, 2019, 11:23 am
    Fine dining restaurant Claudia to open in West Loop after successful Kickstarter campaign

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #6 - June 29th, 2021, 4:38 pm
    Post #6 - June 29th, 2021, 4:38 pm Post #6 - June 29th, 2021, 4:38 pm
    7 years after Chicago got its first taste, Claudia concept readies to open in its ‘forever home’ in Bucktown

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #7 - September 6th, 2021, 7:56 am
    Post #7 - September 6th, 2021, 7:56 am Post #7 - September 6th, 2021, 7:56 am
    We have upcoming reservations and so I e-mailed them asking for their wine list. I was informed that they can't provide one due to it's "ever changing nature."
    What do y'all think about that?
  • Post #8 - September 6th, 2021, 9:11 am
    Post #8 - September 6th, 2021, 9:11 am Post #8 - September 6th, 2021, 9:11 am
    hoppy2468 wrote:We have upcoming reservations and so I e-mailed them asking for their wine list. I was informed that they can't provide one due to it's "ever changing nature."

I think places are keeping inventory low. Pretty understandable under the circumstances, no?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #9 - September 6th, 2021, 10:09 am
    Post #9 - September 6th, 2021, 10:09 am Post #9 - September 6th, 2021, 10:09 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    hoppy2468 wrote:We have upcoming reservations and so I e-mailed them asking for their wine list. I was informed that they can't provide one due to it's "ever changing nature."

I think places are keeping inventory low. Pretty understandable under the circumstances, no?

Agreed. Are they even open yet? I think it's entirely reasonable that an unopened (or recently-opened) restaurant during a pandemic and with supply shortages wouldn't have a completed, shareable wine list. Also, given that Claudia was previously byob, they didn't have a cellar to carry over from a prior incarnation
  • Post #10 - August 29th, 2022, 11:45 am
    Post #10 - August 29th, 2022, 11:45 am Post #10 - August 29th, 2022, 11:45 am
    Yes, Claudia is open in its forever home: 1952 N. Damen Ave., Chicago, IL 60647.

And I am genuinely shocked that no one has recently reviewed one of the most creative, dare I say it, whimsical restaurants I have ever experienced in over 40 years of fine dining.

To say it deserves its Michelin star is an understatement. I honestly wonder why it hasn't earned its second star. The entire experience was that outstanding.

Every course of 9 courses was an interpretation of what would normally be prosaic; for example, a Bento box, tomato soup and grilled cheese, lobster, lamb, or a Caprese salad. But the ideas and flavors contained in each standard were transformed in ways that approached the outer boundary of creativity:

This Bento box contained squid ink madelines, a perfect piece of ahi tuna filled with astonishingly rich foie gras, a shrimp cracker, and a potato galette with a dollop of oestra caviar... not your usual Bento.

Imagine a perfect green tomato gazpacho, with a bite of crab claw, compressed watermelon, an assortment of herbs, served with a cheese gougère... not your everyday tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Imagine a dessert based on a Caprese salad... tomato, used as a fruit infusing a parfait, olive oil, both in ice cream and in cake, basil as well... mind blowing, and certainly not your routine Caprese.

I could describe each other course, but that would be beside the point. The whimsy, the creativity, the imagination in the construction of every course of this pinnacle dining experience was outstanding!

Other points of note... I usually opt for wine flights, but chose the non-alcoholic beverage pairings instead. These were terrific! I would happily go back to Claudia for no other reason than to simply drink my way through the series of mocktails, they were that good. One member of our party did opt for wine, and based on my tastings, the pairings were all on point, and the wine selections were a broad cross-section of the best the world has to offer. A steely, crisp, almost chalky Austrian chardonnay would have absolutely fooled me in a blind tasting.

As great as the kitchen was, the front of the house was equally adept at preserving the sense of whimsy. Service was textbook perfect, but also charming. Our servers were willing to explain ingredient combinations, how the wines and mocktails were chosen to match each course, and anything else we wanted to know.

Claudia is a cutting edge fine dining experience, but one that dispenses with pretense and stuffiness. Not only is the food outstanding, but there is none of the intimidation that usually comes with this kind of degustation presentation.

Claudia ranks in the top echelon of Chicago fine dining... no doubt!
  • Post #11 - June 6th, 2023, 1:22 pm
    Post #11 - June 6th, 2023, 1:22 pm Post #11 - June 6th, 2023, 1:22 pm
    Unfortunately Chef Trevor posted on Facebook that Claudia is closing, and all existing reservations will be refunded.
  • Post #12 - June 7th, 2023, 3:13 pm
    Post #12 - June 7th, 2023, 3:13 pm Post #12 - June 7th, 2023, 3:13 pm
    Tambreet wrote:Unfortunately Chef Trevor posted on Facebook that Claudia is closing, and all existing reservations will be refunded.

Thank you for posting this. More details here.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more