LTH Home

Chicago Culinary Kitchen - Texas BBQ at its finest

Chicago Culinary Kitchen - Texas BBQ at its finest
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 13th, 2020, 9:50 am
    Post #61 - March 13th, 2020, 9:50 am Post #61 - March 13th, 2020, 9:50 am
    scottsol wrote:In addition, we will be investing less in terms of time and inconvenience so a good, but not as good, product could still represent an equal or better value proposition.

Perhaps but for me bbq has become mostly about the magic moments, the high points. I'd rather wait in line for an hour+ for something revelatory than step right up for something 80% as good. Not saying the great moments can't be achieved in a larger, more traditionally configured space. Hopefully, they can.

Cathy2 wrote:What will likely be missing is the party atmosphere standing in line and hoping what you want is still there when you reach the counter.

There's probably no aspect of the experience that made it more authentic than that. :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #62 - March 13th, 2020, 9:51 am
    Post #62 - March 13th, 2020, 9:51 am Post #62 - March 13th, 2020, 9:51 am
    Greg & Kristina Gaardbo are well versed in multitasking, Shockwaves Apparel, Food Truck, catering, local food competitions such Fight to Feed, Culinary Fight Club, and burger throw-downs. Plus big events like Chef's on the Grill at Park Grill, I've competed against them there and they often win.

Greg and Kristina are terrific showmen/showwomen but its not all hat, no cattle, their BBQ is terrific, top tier using a variety of cookers including churrascos. I'm friends with both, follow them on various social media and sometimes wonder if they are using body doubles as often they seem to be in more than one place at a time.

If the Gaardbo's decide to open a full-service full-time BBQ joint rest assured it’s not a capricious decision on their part. They are two of the more thoughtful people I know. Greg is/was a Marine and Kristina an RN and Cicerone, BBQ is a few careers down the line for both and they excel.

Producing tasty BBQ for lunch is not rocket surgery, on the other hand high-quality restaurant BBQ is as much, if not more, about planning and logistics as it is cooking. Who better for planning and logistics then a Marine and RN. :)

Also, in the don't judge a book by it cover category, Greg is the nicest most gentle of souls, even if every picture I see of him he's scowling, and (don't tell my wife) I have a bit of a crush on Kristina.

250 words to say I'm certain they will keep the same quality and build on experience to get better, tastier every day.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #63 - March 13th, 2020, 12:16 pm
    Post #63 - March 13th, 2020, 12:16 pm Post #63 - March 13th, 2020, 12:16 pm
    I have yet to try it (shame on me) but if it starts getting even more popular, there is no reason why the line may start early (like at Franklin in Austin) because people will be nervous they'll run out of stuff.
  • Post #64 - May 19th, 2021, 8:00 pm
    Post #64 - May 19th, 2021, 8:00 pm Post #64 - May 19th, 2021, 8:00 pm
    Moving to a larger location in Palatine = https://www.dailyherald.com/business/20 ... n-palatine
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #65 - May 19th, 2021, 9:51 pm
    Post #65 - May 19th, 2021, 9:51 pm Post #65 - May 19th, 2021, 9:51 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Moving to a larger location in Palatine = https://www.dailyherald.com/business/20 ... n-palatine

Nine minutes from my apartment!!
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #66 - May 19th, 2021, 10:34 pm
    Post #66 - May 19th, 2021, 10:34 pm Post #66 - May 19th, 2021, 10:34 pm
    On the way to and from my dentist! Can I get a side of floss with my Brisket?

Buddy
  • Post #67 - May 20th, 2021, 12:02 pm
    Post #67 - May 20th, 2021, 12:02 pm Post #67 - May 20th, 2021, 12:02 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Moving to a larger location in Palatine = https://www.dailyherald.com/business/20 ... n-palatine

And they’ll be open Wednesday through Sunday! I’ve been meaning to check them out.
  • Post #68 - August 25th, 2021, 4:54 pm
    Post #68 - August 25th, 2021, 4:54 pm Post #68 - August 25th, 2021, 4:54 pm
    Made my first visit to the new location about 4 weeks ago. Whole family came away pretty disappointed in quality of food. We arrived about noon and they were already sold out of ribs so we went with brisket (dry and flavorless, honestly surprised this left the kitchen), half chicken(dry and little smoke flavor), and pulled pork(average) for meats. For sides we did the mac n cheese (cheese sauce was starting to separate and was lumpy), elote(ok), and fries(good). Tres leche cake for dessert was by far the best item. If not for previous stellar visits to the old location I wouldn't return. I will probably give them one more try and see if they can ramp up the new location to previous standards. Fingers crossed.
  • Post #69 - September 2nd, 2021, 1:26 pm
    Post #69 - September 2nd, 2021, 1:26 pm Post #69 - September 2nd, 2021, 1:26 pm
    CCK has let it be known that they will not be enforcing the reinstated mask mandate.

Apparently “Live free or die” is transforming to “Live free and die”.
  • Post #70 - September 2nd, 2021, 5:31 pm
    Post #70 - September 2nd, 2021, 5:31 pm Post #70 - September 2nd, 2021, 5:31 pm
    scottsol wrote:CCK has let it be known that they will not be enforcing the reinstated mask mandate.

Did they post on social media or was this an in person sign?
  • Post #71 - September 2nd, 2021, 6:01 pm
    Post #71 - September 2nd, 2021, 6:01 pm Post #71 - September 2nd, 2021, 6:01 pm
    scottsol wrote:CCK has let it be known that they will not be enforcing the reinstated mask mandate.

And until this moment, they were on my short list of places to try.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #72 - September 2nd, 2021, 6:53 pm
    Post #72 - September 2nd, 2021, 6:53 pm Post #72 - September 2nd, 2021, 6:53 pm
    Octarine wrote:

Did they post on social media or was this an in person sign?

There is nothing about COVID (one way or the other) posted at the restaurant.

They had a pre-order only Pork Chop dinner tonight. The email reminder sent to participants contained five bullet points. This is the fifth:

There is a new mask mandate in effect but it will not be enforced by us and you are welcome to govern yourselves accordingly.

I did not see any masked employees.
  • Post #73 - September 3rd, 2021, 7:13 pm
    Post #73 - September 3rd, 2021, 7:13 pm Post #73 - September 3rd, 2021, 7:13 pm
    Cross another place off the list.
    If you don’t want enforce mask mandates, fine. But to openly flout them and encourage your customers to do the same? Nope.
  • Post #74 - September 11th, 2021, 3:38 pm
    Post #74 - September 11th, 2021, 3:38 pm Post #74 - September 11th, 2021, 3:38 pm
    Wish I'd read this post earlier. Was excited to stop in last week for the first time but was disappointed to see no employees were masked. We asked the cashier why they were not wearing masks and she could not even provide a coherent answer.
    Ended up eating there because of the outdoor seating, but was not impressed with the brisket (2 slices for $15) and the mac and cheese was underseasoned.
  • Post #75 - September 23rd, 2021, 2:46 pm
    Post #75 - September 23rd, 2021, 2:46 pm Post #75 - September 23rd, 2021, 2:46 pm

Good for them! Nice to see someone stand up to this mask nonsense.

If you are fully vaxxed you don't need a mask. if you are fully vaxxed and still too scared to be around people without masks you should go back to hiding in your homes.
  • Post #76 - September 23rd, 2021, 4:29 pm
    Post #76 - September 23rd, 2021, 4:29 pm Post #76 - September 23rd, 2021, 4:29 pm
    shakes wrote:

If you are fully vaxxed you don't need a mask. if you are fully vaxxed and still too scared to be around people without masks you should go back to hiding in your homes.

Fully vaxxed here. You and your bullshit are putting me off my feed though. And your degree in immunology is from what university?
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #77 - September 23rd, 2021, 4:51 pm
    Post #77 - September 23rd, 2021, 4:51 pm Post #77 - September 23rd, 2021, 4:51 pm
    shakes wrote:

I’ve got 13 friends dead in the ground because of “people” like you. My respect for the mods here is the only thing keeping me from telling you what I truly think of your sociopathic attitude.
  • Post #78 - September 23rd, 2021, 6:19 pm
    Post #78 - September 23rd, 2021, 6:19 pm Post #78 - September 23rd, 2021, 6:19 pm
    shakes wrote:

I don't understand how you have been allowed to post 183 previous times before this one. Please go away.
  • Post #79 - September 23rd, 2021, 7:20 pm
    Post #79 - September 23rd, 2021, 7:20 pm Post #79 - September 23rd, 2021, 7:20 pm
    LTH,

There's nowhere for this to go but further off topic, so we're going to lock it up now.

Thanks, for your understanding.

=R=
    For the Moderators
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide