LTH Home

Steingold's of Chicago - Jewish Deli

Steingold's of Chicago - Jewish Deli
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - March 5th, 2021, 11:16 am
    Post #121 - March 5th, 2021, 11:16 am Post #121 - March 5th, 2021, 11:16 am
    jellob1976 wrote:Anyway, I really miss those places. Many of the new delis are priced for event dining (not neighborhood kibbitzing) with sandwiches kissing the $20 mark (maybe that's why the old places couldn't survive?).

Like shortribs, skate, skirt steaks and more, the "inexpensive cuts" that produced cheap pastrami and corned beef aren't that inexpensive these days. For the few places that still source Kosher, take the price and double (or triple) it. I'd gladly pay $20 for an authentic NY pastrami sandwich - if I could find one.
  • Post #122 - March 5th, 2021, 12:18 pm
    Post #122 - March 5th, 2021, 12:18 pm Post #122 - March 5th, 2021, 12:18 pm
    watson wrote:
    When I was 4 I choked on a corned beef sandwich at Rickys and a stranger had to perform the heimlich on me (still finished the sandwich).

This would be an A+ banner quote!

Absolutely agree!!!

Great post all around.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #123 - March 5th, 2021, 5:14 pm
    Post #123 - March 5th, 2021, 5:14 pm Post #123 - March 5th, 2021, 5:14 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    watson wrote:
    When I was 4 I choked on a corned beef sandwich at Rickys and a stranger had to perform the heimlich on me (still finished the sandwich).

This would be an A+ banner quote!

Absolutely agree!!!

Great post all around.

Thanks! Definitely one of those stories that my mom remembers better than me (and she probably tells it better, with no embellishments, I'm sure)... But I still have vague recollections of that day.
  • Post #124 - March 5th, 2021, 6:25 pm
    Post #124 - March 5th, 2021, 6:25 pm Post #124 - March 5th, 2021, 6:25 pm
    I think why "Jewish delis" in Chicago have things like bacon, and sandwiches that combine dairy with meat, etc., is that the non-kosher Jewish population is bigger than the kosher Jewish population. Not to mention that both are minuscule compared to the Gentile population. If there were enough unassimilated Jews to support a strictly kosher (or kosheresque) restaurant here, more strictly kosher (and kosheresque) restaurants would exist. (The only one I actually know of is Milt's Barbecue for the Perplexed, more power to them.) Personally I like that I can have my matzo ball soup and pastrami on rye, and my non-Jewish friends can have their grilled cheese and bacon on white, as we all sit down to break challah together.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #125 - March 5th, 2021, 7:04 pm
    Post #125 - March 5th, 2021, 7:04 pm Post #125 - March 5th, 2021, 7:04 pm
    My only potential issue with them serving bacon (or pork or other non-Kosher foods or combinations of foods) would be where it intersected with the use of the word "authentic" in describing the restaurant (and even that's a slippery slope). The "A word" has been bandied about however, it doesn't appear that Steingold's itself has been part of that bandying, so for me personally, this is a non-issue.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #126 - March 5th, 2021, 8:51 pm
    Post #126 - March 5th, 2021, 8:51 pm Post #126 - March 5th, 2021, 8:51 pm
    Aaron Steingold is the co-owner—his business partner (and wife) is Lebanese and not Jewish. He’s open about the fact that he isn’t observant or even religious, but loves deli food. I don’t think he’s remotely interested in kosher so once you get past that, splitting hairs about things like serving bacon or mixing milk & meat and all the other customs are no more appropriate here than if the restaurant’s cuisine was Thai food, as far as I’m concerned. I’m just happy that someone was willing to even try to make deli food popular again. It’s delicious.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #127 - March 5th, 2021, 9:00 pm
    Post #127 - March 5th, 2021, 9:00 pm Post #127 - March 5th, 2021, 9:00 pm
    marothisu wrote:
    lodasi wrote:As a similar thread, every now and then, there are rankings of "Jewish" delis and the reviewer uses the Reuben sandwich as their basis to judge.

A sandwich with milkik and fleishig.

It is not coincidental that these arbiters will also typically admit to a lack of Jewish heritage.

Yes. This is also why I can't take places like Katz's in Manhattan seriously. They basically have succumbed at some point in time to non Jewish American tastes. Great for business but again, serving a sandwich with meat and cheese together (non paerve especially) isn't culturally a Jewish thing at all. Just like serving pork bacon isn't either. Again, to me it's like serving a burrito at an Italian restaurant. We might all agree it tastes good, but they lose points in the "authentic" department instantly.

I really call those Jewish-ish. Like Sarge's in Manhattan. It's Jewish-ish where as 2nd Ave Deli is Jewish.

Decades ago, when I lived in the East 30s, I took my parents from upstate New York to Sarge’s. My father asked the waiter what came with a corned beef sandwich, and the waiter sneered, “bread.”
  • Post #128 - March 8th, 2021, 1:56 pm
    Post #128 - March 8th, 2021, 1:56 pm Post #128 - March 8th, 2021, 1:56 pm
    ld111134 wrote:Decades ago, when I lived in the East 30s, I took my parents from upstate New York to Sarge’s. My father asked the waiter what came with a corned beef sandwich, and the waiter sneered, “bread.”

Classic! That's why you pay the high prices.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #129 - May 27th, 2021, 6:06 am
    Post #129 - May 27th, 2021, 6:06 am Post #129 - May 27th, 2021, 6:06 am
    Lox. Bagel. Sunshine. Steingold's.

click to enlarge

Lox, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize