LTH Home

Steingold's of Chicago - Jewish Deli

Steingold's of Chicago - Jewish Deli
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 5
  • Post #91 - August 2nd, 2018, 9:03 am
    Post #91 - August 2nd, 2018, 9:03 am Post #91 - August 2nd, 2018, 9:03 am
    Steingold Station on Francisco was open for the first time in weeks today. Didn't get a chance to inspect the menu (which is now on one large chalkboard rather than a grouping of small placards) in any detail thanks to my 4 year old, but we did grab a plain bagel to eat at home, and it was pretty good. A little softer than I remember, but still satisfyingly chewy.
    We crack us up.
  • Post #92 - February 12th, 2020, 3:25 pm
    Post #92 - February 12th, 2020, 3:25 pm Post #92 - February 12th, 2020, 3:25 pm
    According to a Facebook post, they got a liquor license!
  • Post #93 - February 13th, 2020, 10:27 am
    Post #93 - February 13th, 2020, 10:27 am Post #93 - February 13th, 2020, 10:27 am
    This is just to say I enjoyed my one (and still only) visit to Steingold's to meet a couple of friends on a Saturday morning a couple of months ago. And I was pleasantly surprised in one respect, because the impression I got from what I'd heard and read was that it's a great place to carry out from, but not a great place to sit and schmooze. But we thought it was a fine place to do that.

    There were some minor kinks in serving our order to the table (items missing, etc.), but when pointed out to the server, these were addressed in a reasonable amount of time. And the lox-and-bagel was pretty great.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #94 - December 17th, 2020, 6:54 pm
    Post #94 - December 17th, 2020, 6:54 pm Post #94 - December 17th, 2020, 6:54 pm
    The Music Box Will Soon Welcome a Notable Modern Jewish Deli Next Door.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2020/12/17/22 ... ox-theater
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #95 - December 17th, 2020, 6:58 pm
    Post #95 - December 17th, 2020, 6:58 pm Post #95 - December 17th, 2020, 6:58 pm
    i saw this story but it made me a little worried - the space on google maps looks much much smaller than current digs. anyone with walk-by intel know better?
  • Post #96 - December 17th, 2020, 7:48 pm
    Post #96 - December 17th, 2020, 7:48 pm Post #96 - December 17th, 2020, 7:48 pm
    annak wrote:i saw this story but it made me a little worried - the space on google maps looks much much smaller than current digs. anyone with walk-by intel know better?


    I think it's the old True Value store. Might look small from the store front, but it stretches back pretty far.
  • Post #97 - December 18th, 2020, 12:01 pm
    Post #97 - December 18th, 2020, 12:01 pm Post #97 - December 18th, 2020, 12:01 pm
    Per the Eater article, Steingold's is moving into the space currently occupied by Pasta Gusto, which is moving into a Roscoe Village space that formerly was occupied by Black Dog Gelato.
  • Post #98 - March 3rd, 2021, 9:02 pm
    Post #98 - March 3rd, 2021, 9:02 pm Post #98 - March 3rd, 2021, 9:02 pm
    Steingold’s Modern Jewish Deli Opening Southport Storefront And Walk-Up Window This Week. https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/03/02 ... wednesday/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #99 - March 3rd, 2021, 10:57 pm
    Post #99 - March 3rd, 2021, 10:57 pm Post #99 - March 3rd, 2021, 10:57 pm
    I'll get crap for this but I don't care. I have nothing against Steingolds in particular, and I'm not Kosher at all. However, it still pains me to see people say they're a Jewish deli and offer pork bacon at all of any kind. It just reduces the authenticity. Nothing against bacon -I like it but please don't call yourself an authentic Jewish deli and serve bacon.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #100 - March 3rd, 2021, 10:59 pm
    Post #100 - March 3rd, 2021, 10:59 pm Post #100 - March 3rd, 2021, 10:59 pm
    marothisu wrote:I'll get crap for this but I don't care. I have nothing against Steingolds in particular, and I'm not Kosher at all. However, it still pains me to see people say they're a Jewish deli and offer pork bacon at all of any kind. It just reduces the authenticity. Nothing against bacon -I like it but please don't call yourself an authentic Jewish deli and serve bacon.



    Many Jewish delis are not kosher...
  • Post #101 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:03 pm
    Post #101 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:03 pm Post #101 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:03 pm
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:I'll get crap for this but I don't care. I have nothing against Steingolds in particular, and I'm not Kosher at all. However, it still pains me to see people say they're a Jewish deli and offer pork bacon at all of any kind. It just reduces the authenticity. Nothing against bacon -I like it but please don't call yourself an authentic Jewish deli and serve bacon.



    Many Jewish delis are not kosher...


    There's way more to kosher than not eating pork products and shellfish you know. And here in NYC, there are many non kosher and a lot still don't serve bacon. I'm not kosher nor religious but from a cultural perspective, once you serve bacon and claim to be a Jewish deli, I lose a bit of respect. It's more of a cultural thing and as a Jew who eats everything under the sun, seeing that still rubs me the wrong way.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #102 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:09 pm
    Post #102 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:09 pm Post #102 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:09 pm
    marothisu wrote:
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:I'll get crap for this but I don't care. I have nothing against Steingolds in particular, and I'm not Kosher at all. However, it still pains me to see people say they're a Jewish deli and offer pork bacon at all of any kind. It just reduces the authenticity. Nothing against bacon -I like it but please don't call yourself an authentic Jewish deli and serve bacon.



    Many Jewish delis are not kosher...


    There's way more to kosher than not eating pork products and shellfish you know. And here in NYC, there are many non kosher and a lot still don't serve bacon. I'm not kosher nor religious but from a cultural perspective, once you serve bacon and claim to be a Jewish deli, I lose a bit of respect. It's more of a cultural thing and as a Jew who eats everything under the sun, seeing that still rubs me the wrong way.


    What should you call a restaurant run by a Jew, that serves pastrami, corned beef, bagels, smoked fish, matzo ball soup, etc...and bacon?
  • Post #103 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:14 pm
    Post #103 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:14 pm Post #103 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:14 pm
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:I'll get crap for this but I don't care. I have nothing against Steingolds in particular, and I'm not Kosher at all. However, it still pains me to see people say they're a Jewish deli and offer pork bacon at all of any kind. It just reduces the authenticity. Nothing against bacon -I like it but please don't call yourself an authentic Jewish deli and serve bacon.



    Many Jewish delis are not kosher...


    There's way more to kosher than not eating pork products and shellfish you know. And here in NYC, there are many non kosher and a lot still don't serve bacon. I'm not kosher nor religious but from a cultural perspective, once you serve bacon and claim to be a Jewish deli, I lose a bit of respect. It's more of a cultural thing and as a Jew who eats everything under the sun, seeing that still rubs me the wrong way.


    What should you call a restaurant run by a Jew, that serves pastrami, corned beef, bagels, smoked fish, matzo ball soup, etc...and bacon?


    A European deli (or European style). Or maybe a Jewish-ish Deli is better.

    It's akin to an Italian restaurant serving burritos. Just because someone who's Italian is serving it up doesn't mean the burrito is now magically Italian. And believe me, if an Italian restaurant who claims it was "authentic" was serving burritos, people would be giving it the same sort of crap.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #104 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:16 pm
    Post #104 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:16 pm Post #104 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:16 pm
    marothisu wrote:
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:I'll get crap for this but I don't care. I have nothing against Steingolds in particular, and I'm not Kosher at all. However, it still pains me to see people say they're a Jewish deli and offer pork bacon at all of any kind. It just reduces the authenticity. Nothing against bacon -I like it but please don't call yourself an authentic Jewish deli and serve bacon.



    Many Jewish delis are not kosher...


    There's way more to kosher than not eating pork products and shellfish you know. And here in NYC, there are many non kosher and a lot still don't serve bacon. I'm not kosher nor religious but from a cultural perspective, once you serve bacon and claim to be a Jewish deli, I lose a bit of respect. It's more of a cultural thing and as a Jew who eats everything under the sun, seeing that still rubs me the wrong way.


    What should you call a restaurant run by a Jew, that serves pastrami, corned beef, bagels, smoked fish, matzo ball soup, etc...and bacon?


    A European deli (or European style). Or maybe a Jewish-ish Deli is better.

    It's akin to an Italian restaurant serving burritos. Just because someone who's Italian is serving it up doesn't mean the burrito is now magically Italian.

    They call themself a modern Jewish deli.

    It more akin to a northern Italian restaurant serving cheese on their seafood.

    As a modern Jew, myself, both are delicious.
  • Post #105 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:20 pm
    Post #105 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:20 pm Post #105 - March 3rd, 2021, 11:20 pm
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:I'll get crap for this but I don't care. I have nothing against Steingolds in particular, and I'm not Kosher at all. However, it still pains me to see people say they're a Jewish deli and offer pork bacon at all of any kind. It just reduces the authenticity. Nothing against bacon -I like it but please don't call yourself an authentic Jewish deli and serve bacon.



    Many Jewish delis are not kosher...


    There's way more to kosher than not eating pork products and shellfish you know. And here in NYC, there are many non kosher and a lot still don't serve bacon. I'm not kosher nor religious but from a cultural perspective, once you serve bacon and claim to be a Jewish deli, I lose a bit of respect. It's more of a cultural thing and as a Jew who eats everything under the sun, seeing that still rubs me the wrong way.


    What should you call a restaurant run by a Jew, that serves pastrami, corned beef, bagels, smoked fish, matzo ball soup, etc...and bacon?


    A European deli (or European style). Or maybe a Jewish-ish Deli is better.

    It's akin to an Italian restaurant serving burritos. Just because someone who's Italian is serving it up doesn't mean the burrito is now magically Italian.

    They call themself a modern Jewish deli.

    It more akin to a northern Italian restaurant serving cheese on their seafood.

    As a modern Jew, myself, both are delicious.


    Personally, I am a massive fan of prosciutto, pancetta, etc. It just feels weird having a place called a "Jewish deli" and they're serving up bacon. It has nothing to so with my love of various types of bacon..

    Again, just my opinion. Interestingly, I know some "modern Jews" in Chicago who legit refuse to eat at Steingold's for that reason. I won't go that far, but just saying there's people out there who are rubbed the wrong way about it to the point of not eating there even though they aren't even kosher.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #106 - March 4th, 2021, 7:45 am
    Post #106 - March 4th, 2021, 7:45 am Post #106 - March 4th, 2021, 7:45 am
    marothisu wrote:
    dagrassroots wrote:
    marothisu wrote:I'll get crap for this but I don't care. I have nothing against Steingolds in particular, and I'm not Kosher at all. However, it still pains me to see people say they're a Jewish deli and offer pork bacon at all of any kind. It just reduces the authenticity. Nothing against bacon -I like it but please don't call yourself an authentic Jewish deli and serve bacon.



    Many Jewish delis are not kosher...


    There's way more to kosher than not eating pork products and shellfish you know. And here in NYC, there are many non kosher and a lot still don't serve bacon. I'm not kosher nor religious but from a cultural perspective, once you serve bacon and claim to be a Jewish deli, I lose a bit of respect. It's more of a cultural thing and as a Jew who eats everything under the sun, seeing that still rubs me the wrong way.


    Many places go the Kaufman's route with beef "bacon," which in itself is a nice touch (you can also find kosher duck breast "bacon"). Several years ago I spent a few days in Jordan and our breakfast buffet at our hotel was mind-blowing. It was a combination of Israeli/Middle-Eastern and American, so hummus, cheeses, fresh fruits and vegetables, salads, yogurts, eggs in every style and really delicious (halal) beef bacon. One of the best hotel breakfasts ever.
  • Post #107 - March 4th, 2021, 7:50 am
    Post #107 - March 4th, 2021, 7:50 am Post #107 - March 4th, 2021, 7:50 am
    ^ Beef bacon, for sure. I had some friends in Chicago from Saudi Arabia who went that route. It's good stuff. Usually in restaurants in the US, I have seen it advertised as such though and not just "bacon."

    Culturally though, a lot of people didn't eat any of it.

    Also the point about what to call it is an interesting one. I have a few non Jewish friends from Eastern Europe tell me they grew up eating things like gentle fish. Except it wasn't called that, and they had no idea it was "Jewish food" until being in America.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #108 - March 4th, 2021, 8:44 am
    Post #108 - March 4th, 2021, 8:44 am Post #108 - March 4th, 2021, 8:44 am
    marothisu wrote:I have a few non Jewish friends from Eastern Europe tell me they grew up eating things like gentle fish.

    Looks like your smartphone doesn't understand the words gefilte fish. Must be a non-Jewish smartphone. :)
  • Post #109 - March 4th, 2021, 9:50 am
    Post #109 - March 4th, 2021, 9:50 am Post #109 - March 4th, 2021, 9:50 am
    As a similar thread, every now and then, there are rankings of "Jewish" delis and the reviewer uses the Reuben sandwich as their basis to judge.

    A sandwich with milkik and fleishig.

    It is not coincidental that these arbiters will also typically admit to a lack of Jewish heritage.
  • Post #110 - March 4th, 2021, 9:52 am
    Post #110 - March 4th, 2021, 9:52 am Post #110 - March 4th, 2021, 9:52 am
    nsxtasy wrote:
    marothisu wrote:I have a few non Jewish friends from Eastern Europe tell me they grew up eating things like gentle fish.

    Looks like your smartphone doesn't understand the words gefilte fish. Must be a non-Jewish smartphone. :)


    Lol! Nice catch..
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #111 - March 4th, 2021, 9:53 am
    Post #111 - March 4th, 2021, 9:53 am Post #111 - March 4th, 2021, 9:53 am
    lodasi wrote:As a similar thread, every now and then, there are rankings of "Jewish" delis and the reviewer uses the Reuben sandwich as their basis to judge.

    A sandwich with milkik and fleishig.

    It is not coincidental that these arbiters will also typically admit to a lack of Jewish heritage.


    Yes. This is also why I can't take places like Katz's in Manhattan seriously. They basically have succumbed at some point in time to non Jewish American tastes. Great for business but again, serving a sandwich with meat and cheese together (non paerve especially) isn't culturally a Jewish thing at all. Just like serving pork bacon isn't either. Again, to me it's like serving a burrito at an Italian restaurant. We might all agree it tastes good, but they lose points in the "authentic" department instantly.

    I really call those Jewish-ish. Like Sarge's in Manhattan. It's Jewish-ish where as 2nd Ave Deli is Jewish.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #112 - March 4th, 2021, 11:50 am
    Post #112 - March 4th, 2021, 11:50 am Post #112 - March 4th, 2021, 11:50 am
    marothisu wrote:They basically have succumbed at some point in time to non Jewish American tastes. Great for business but again, serving a sandwich with meat and cheese together (non paerve especially) isn't culturally a Jewish thing at all. Just like serving pork bacon isn't either. Again, to me it's like serving a burrito at an Italian restaurant. We might all agree it tastes good, but they lose points in the "authentic" department instantly.
    Might be a little too existential, but is the deli that goes out of business for lack of sales more authentic than the one that's still open while cutting corners on tradition? If you've got your own skin in the game put any combination of ingredients together that will keep you busy and running. I doubt the old Jewish founders of the delis 80 years, or so, ago would like their work to be associated with business failure.
  • Post #113 - March 4th, 2021, 12:16 pm
    Post #113 - March 4th, 2021, 12:16 pm Post #113 - March 4th, 2021, 12:16 pm
    It's tough, because a business considered a "Jewish deli" in 2021 would have been two or more completely separate businesses 100 years ago when the storied establishments of the Lower East Side of Manhattan were founded due to the idiosyncrasies of kashrut laws.

    Personally, I think the merit of the components is more valuable than using a treif sandwich as the gauge, regardless of how "traditional" that sandwich has become.

    I will say that Steingold's does bake delicious bagels and smokes a delicious pastrami and I am happy that they are in a more convenient location for me.
  • Post #114 - March 4th, 2021, 12:30 pm
    Post #114 - March 4th, 2021, 12:30 pm Post #114 - March 4th, 2021, 12:30 pm
    lodasi wrote:It's tough, because a business considered a "Jewish deli" in 2021 would have been two or more completely separate businesses 100 years ago when the storied establishments of the Lower East Side of Manhattan were founded due to the idiosyncrasies of kashrut laws.

    Entire books have been written about that era, such as this fascinating account of when Jewish housewives organized a boycott of the kosher butchers, who themselves were getting price-gouged by the meatpacker kingpins:

    The Great Kosher Meat War of 1902: Immigrant Housewives and the Riots That Shook New York City Hardcover – by Scott D. Seligman
  • Post #115 - March 4th, 2021, 12:42 pm
    Post #115 - March 4th, 2021, 12:42 pm Post #115 - March 4th, 2021, 12:42 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Entire books have been written about that era, such as this fascinating account of when Jewish housewives organized a boycott of the kosher butchers, who themselves were getting price-gouged by the meatpacker kingpins:

    The Great Kosher Meat War of 1902: Immigrant Housewives and the Riots That Shook New York City Hardcover – by Scott D. Seligman


    Here is an interesting long form article about the bagel bakers union and their war against organized crime:
    https://www.grubstreet.com/2020/01/bage ... union.html
  • Post #116 - March 4th, 2021, 1:02 pm
    Post #116 - March 4th, 2021, 1:02 pm Post #116 - March 4th, 2021, 1:02 pm
    By the way for the record, I have nothing against Steingold's at all. I actually wish there were more Jewish or Jewish style delis in Chicago still. It is sad to see various ones in the city go over the years.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #117 - March 4th, 2021, 2:13 pm
    Post #117 - March 4th, 2021, 2:13 pm Post #117 - March 4th, 2021, 2:13 pm
    One of life's realities, you'll never get Jews to agree on anything. Very few of the NY places remained truly Kosher since the turn of the last century. 2nd Avenue was "Kosher" with certified products and no dairy but it was open around the clock so for the strictest adherents they wouldn't patronize a place opened on the Sabbath. Katz's and Carnegie deli had custom-made kosher products at one time but I'm pretty sure they stopped worrying about certification because no customers demanded (or expected) it.

    Superdawg used to source Oscherwitz dogs from Best Kosher back in the day, not because it was kosher but because it was a good dog made to their specifications.
  • Post #118 - March 4th, 2021, 3:30 pm
    Post #118 - March 4th, 2021, 3:30 pm Post #118 - March 4th, 2021, 3:30 pm
    bweiny wrote:
    marothisu wrote:They basically have succumbed at some point in time to non Jewish American tastes. Great for business but again, serving a sandwich with meat and cheese together (non paerve especially) isn't culturally a Jewish thing at all. Just like serving pork bacon isn't either. Again, to me it's like serving a burrito at an Italian restaurant. We might all agree it tastes good, but they lose points in the "authentic" department instantly.
    Might be a little too existential, but is the deli that goes out of business for lack of sales more authentic than the one that's still open while cutting corners on tradition? If you've got your own skin in the game put any combination of ingredients together that will keep you busy and running. I doubt the old Jewish founders of the delis 80 years, or so, ago would like their work to be associated with business failure.


    For a business owner, I think it's different. From my own family, my 2nd great grandfather was apparently pretty damn religious. He was an orthodox cantor (really everyone was orthodox back then). He moved to Denver in the late 1880s when there were maybe 100k people there. He actually founded more than one orthodox temple still in existence today.

    Here's where it gets funny. He owned a general store or two. I found out in 1893 he sued the sheriff of Denver for illegally ceasing his store and selling his entire inventory and pocketing everything (wtf?). I actually ordered the entire court documents from the State of Colorado 1.5 years ago. In there, it lists out the entire inventory. He had bacon being sold there AND was open on Saturday.

    Religious guy, but it still didn't stop him. However, he wasn't labeling it as a Jewish store at all.

    I do think perhaps my 2nd great grandfather was a little out there though. I found an article around 1915 Denver talking about how an 18 year old kid tried to buy a revolver off him in his store. He turns around and the kid is robbing him with the same gun. Shoots my 2nd great grandfather in the arm (graze wound). At 65 years old, my ancestor runs after him, tackles him, and beats him up until the cops arrived..after being shot. I guess you have to be a little nuts to do that.

    Survival really. He probably didn't WANT to sell bacon or being open on Saturday, but money talks when you are in a community that doesn't have the same restrictions as you.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #119 - March 5th, 2021, 7:21 am
    Post #119 - March 5th, 2021, 7:21 am Post #119 - March 5th, 2021, 7:21 am
    Re: the whole bacon at delis thing, I don't really have an opinion. If you don't like it, I totally get that. I guess it doesn't really bother me.

    For what it's worth; I'm Jewish and I grew up in Lakeview through the 70s and 80s when clark street and broadway were studded with many delis: Rickys (now a chipotle at belmont and broadway); sam's at Broadway and cornelia (not sure what's there); the belden deli at belden and clark. Frances' is still around, but it's changed...man. Feels like some HGTV designers got ahold of the interior and the menu.

    I actually lived at 340 W. Diversy (the mies van der rohe buildings) which had it's own (unrelated) Sam's commissary and deli. It had an old fashioned walk-in refrigerator (the kind with a wooden door) with a crazy assortment of sodas.

    When I was 4 I choked on a corned beef sandwich at Rickys and a stranger had to perform the heimlich on me (still finished the sandwich).

    And back to bacon; I had my first Francheezie at the Belden. A hot dog stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon may be one of the least kosher dishes ever.

    Anyway, I really miss those places. Many of the new delis are priced for event dining (not neighborhood kibbitzing) with sandwiches kissing the $20 mark (maybe that's why the old places couldn't survive?).
  • Post #120 - March 5th, 2021, 10:36 am
    Post #120 - March 5th, 2021, 10:36 am Post #120 - March 5th, 2021, 10:36 am
    When I was 4 I choked on a corned beef sandwich at Rickys and a stranger had to perform the heimlich on me (still finished the sandwich).

    This would be an A+ banner quote!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more