LTH Home

Jennifer's Edibles, Evanston Soul Food

Jennifer's Edibles, Evanston Soul Food
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Jennifer's Edibles, Evanston Soul Food

Post #1 - November 3rd, 2017, 7:56 am
    Post #1 - November 3rd, 2017, 7:56 am Post #1 - November 3rd, 2017, 7:56 am
    LTH,

Lunch earlier in the week with a few LTHers at a new to me Evanston casual restaurant featuring “classic American, contemporary soul food."

We had a wide rang of dishes featuring crisp juicy fried chicken, fantastic catfish, fluffy grits all at embarrassingly modest prices in a (very) casual atmosphere. Food terrific, Jennifer engaging though Jennifer's Edibles is not for the impatient diner.

Article about Jennifer's Edibles in The Daily Northwestern.

Thank you goes to Michele Hays for the introduction.

JennifersEdibles1.jpg Fried Chicken

JennifersEdibles4.jpg Catfish w/rice and peas

JennifersEdibles2.jpg Grits, not photogenic but fluffy and delicious

JennifersEdibles3.jpg Jennifer's Edibles

Jennifer's Edibles, count me a fan.

Jennifer's Edibles Restaurant
    1623 Simpson Street
    Evanston, IL 60201
    224-717-1835
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - November 3rd, 2017, 10:52 am
    Post #2 - November 3rd, 2017, 10:52 am Post #2 - November 3rd, 2017, 10:52 am
    Looks wonderful! Cant wait to try it.

Maybe Ive spent too much time in Colorado lately, but "edibles"? Conjures a different meaning to me.
    :)
  • Post #3 - November 3rd, 2017, 4:56 pm
    Post #3 - November 3rd, 2017, 4:56 pm Post #3 - November 3rd, 2017, 4:56 pm
    I was fortunate to join in on this lunch--it was terrific! I enjoyed everything--the stewed chicken and jerk chicken were both quarters--so not a huge portion of meat--but the flavors were great. And the lunch portion comes with a giant plate of rice & peas, which translated to a mixed rice and bean dish that, with a dash of hot sauce, was pretty addictive. The catfish was my favorite dish--the meat was so moist and flavorful--I think I'd forgotten catfish could actually taste that good.

Mac & cheese was the soft and saucy kind--fine, just not my favorite. And the meat pies were tasty but not made in house or particularly noteworthy, so probably not a must-order.

Would love to go back for breakfast since there were lots of delicious sounding offerings on the menu. And we ran out of time for dessert, but next time I need to to try the peach cobbler.

This place is definitely worth a stop in--just be patient since it's a microscopic kitchen and there's not a lot of tables. She also does a good takeout business, as well as some catering. I really hope Jennifer succeeds, so hope some of you check it out!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - November 4th, 2017, 6:29 am
    Post #4 - November 4th, 2017, 6:29 am Post #4 - November 4th, 2017, 6:29 am
    champs2005 wrote:Looks wonderful! Cant wait to try it.

Maybe Ive spent too much time in Colorado lately, but "edibles"? Conjures a different meaning to me.
    :)

I had the same thought.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #5 - December 20th, 2017, 11:34 pm
    Post #5 - December 20th, 2017, 11:34 pm Post #5 - December 20th, 2017, 11:34 pm
    From today's Evanston Lunch Group™ at Jennifer's Edibles:
    JenniferSides.JPG Grits, Mac & Cheese and Collards

JenniferJerkChicken.JPG Fuzzy photo of Jerk Chicken

JenniferFish.JPG Crisp Catfish

JenniferOxtail.JPG Oxtail

JenniferPlantain.JPG Plantains

JenniferPeachCobblerJPG.JPG Peach Cobbler

The lunch was like visiting someone's home. Comfort food, well executed, nothing fancy. Jennifer was a most welcoming hostess. A nice addition to a possibly up-and-coming part of Evanston.
  • Post #6 - December 21st, 2017, 8:10 am
    Post #6 - December 21st, 2017, 8:10 am Post #6 - December 21st, 2017, 8:10 am
    nr706 wrote:A nice addition to a possibly up-and-coming part of Evanston.

"Possibly" is a sad word.
  • Post #7 - June 5th, 2022, 5:52 am
    Post #7 - June 5th, 2022, 5:52 am Post #7 - June 5th, 2022, 5:52 am
    Jennifer’s Edibles: Soul Food with a Twist expands and celebrates five years.
    https://evanstonroundtable.com/2022/06/ ... ive-years/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #8 - June 5th, 2022, 8:34 am
    Post #8 - June 5th, 2022, 8:34 am Post #8 - June 5th, 2022, 8:34 am
    Dave148 wrote:Jennifer’s Edibles: Soul Food with a Twist expands and celebrates five years.
    https://evanstonroundtable.com/2022/06/ ... ive-years/
    They did a lot in the last week or so. The dining area wasn't open, or looking close to being so, 9-10 days ago. Good oxtails, but the price unfortunately doubled based on inflation/circumstances. Everything else is very reasonably priced and I'm eager to get back.
  • Post #9 - June 6th, 2022, 9:33 am
    Post #9 - June 6th, 2022, 9:33 am Post #9 - June 6th, 2022, 9:33 am
    Hi,

You may want to alert them to Park Parking, they are offering a case of oxtails for $3.99 a pound in case quantities. This is a sale price to the public, so perhaps it is better or the same via wholesale.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more