LTH Home

Carniceria Guanajuato #3 - Taqueria in the grocery store

Carniceria Guanajuato #3 - Taqueria in the grocery store
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Carniceria Guanajuato #3 - Taqueria in the grocery store

Post #1 - February 11th, 2018, 2:14 pm
    Post #1 - February 11th, 2018, 2:14 pm Post #1 - February 11th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I remedied this today with a terrific three taco lunch at Carniceria Guanajuato/California. For those who have not been Carniceria Guanajuato, both Ashland and California, are full service Mexican grocery stores with in-house taquerias.

GuanajuatoLTH3.jpg Chile Relleno, Lengua and Lomo. Carniceria Guanajuato/California.

Carniceria Guanajuato , Count me a Fan!

Carniceria Guanajuato  
    3140 N California Av
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-267-7739
    Last edited by G Wiv on February 12th, 2018, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - February 11th, 2018, 2:22 pm
    Post #2 - February 11th, 2018, 2:22 pm Post #2 - February 11th, 2018, 2:22 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:An unsatisfying lunch within sight of Red Hot Ranch and short drive to California or Ashland Carniceria Guanajuato

I remedied this today with a terrific three taco lunch at Carniceria Guanajuato/California. For those who have not been Carniceria Guanajuato, both Ashland and California, are full service Mexican grocery stores with in-house taquerias.

GuanajuatoLTH3.jpg

Carniceria Guanajuato , Count me a Fan!

Carniceria Guanajuato  
    3140 N California Av
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-267-7739

This has been a personal favorite of mine ever since I moved to the neighborhood a couple of years ago. I especially love the al pastor and carne asada, though the lengua and chorizo are both great, too. And I love that salsa.

Count me a fan, too!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - February 11th, 2018, 4:50 pm
    Post #3 - February 11th, 2018, 4:50 pm Post #3 - February 11th, 2018, 4:50 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:This has been a personal favorite of mine ever since I moved to the neighborhood a couple of years ago. I especially love the al pastor and carne asada, though the lengua and chorizo are both great, too. And I love that salsa.

My favorite taco at Carniceria Guanajuato is lengua typically paired with another taco or two. Chile Relleno was a special today, a tasty version that must have weighed at least 1/lb.

I also dig Carniceria Guanajuato taqueria squeeze bottle salsa and always ask for a couple of jalapenos on the side along with the lime wedges. Type of jalapenos seems to be random, almost never the same two times in a row, sometimes pickled, like today, sometimes grilled and oftentimes raw. I'm happy with any of the three.

GuanajuatoLTH2.jpg Carniceria Guanajuato massive Chile Relleno taco, weekend special.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - February 27th, 2018, 1:56 am
    Post #4 - February 27th, 2018, 1:56 am Post #4 - February 27th, 2018, 1:56 am
    Oops. It turns out I have eaten here. I remember the circumstance. The prior location of The Beer Temple was having a beer event starting @ 7:00 pm, and a number of beers would be consumed. There was no traffic on Belmont this afternoon, and the #77 bus got to California really swiftly. Too early for the beer event. So I needed to kill some time as well. There was a banner on the grocery store window mentioning its taqueria. In I went.
    Here are the photographs I got: Image Image
    It looks like I had two carne asada tacos. I think I put on some red sauce also. I honestly forgot about it though.
    Perhaps the next time I go to Metropolitan Brwg., I'll bring in tacos from here.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #5 - May 1st, 2018, 3:35 pm
    Post #5 - May 1st, 2018, 3:35 pm Post #5 - May 1st, 2018, 3:35 pm
    Lengua, lomo & tripas = lunch. Love Carniceria Guanajuato on California, always order 2 jalapeños. Never the same, Fresh, grilled, today escabeche . It’s like jalapeño roulette :)

GuanajuatoLTH6.jpg Lengua, lomo & tripas = lunch.

Carniceria Guanajuato, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - July 10th, 2018, 8:43 am
    Post #6 - July 10th, 2018, 8:43 am Post #6 - July 10th, 2018, 8:43 am
    Wondering whether they have the Guanajuato specialty, "tacos mineros" - basically the pasty of Mexico - a miner's lunch. Recipes found online suggest a variety of ingredients, but what seems mosty typical is cubed pork, potato and carrot with a bit of onion.

Also, any idea where the owners might be from in Guanajuato?
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #7 - July 10th, 2018, 9:51 am
    Post #7 - July 10th, 2018, 9:51 am Post #7 - July 10th, 2018, 9:51 am
    Josephine wrote:Wondering whether they have the Guanajuato specialty, "tacos mineros" - basically the pasty of Mexico - a miner's lunch. Recipes found online suggest a variety of ingredients, but what seems mosty typical is cubed pork, potato and carrot with a bit of onion.

Tacos Mineros sound an awful lot like empanadas. Are they different in some way?
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #8 - July 10th, 2018, 3:00 pm
    Post #8 - July 10th, 2018, 3:00 pm Post #8 - July 10th, 2018, 3:00 pm
    stevez wrote:
    Josephine wrote:Wondering whether they have the Guanajuato specialty, "tacos mineros" - basically the pasty of Mexico - a miner's lunch. Recipes found online suggest a variety of ingredients, but what seems mosty typical is cubed pork, potato and carrot with a bit of onion.

Tacos Mineros sound an awful lot like empanadas. Are they different in some way?

Tacos mineros sound even more like pastes from Hidalgo. I encountered these direct descendents of Cornish pasties in Arkansas, of all places. See Tamalittle, Little Rock: Pastes – Cornish Pasties via Hidalgo. Unfortunately, it seems that great little restaurant has gone out of business (Rock City Eats; Yelp). It should come as no surprise that Hidalgo almost borders Guanajuato and mining has traditionally been a major industry in both states.
  • Post #9 - July 10th, 2018, 3:04 pm
    Post #9 - July 10th, 2018, 3:04 pm Post #9 - July 10th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Fwiw, I've been here dozens of times and never seen these or noticed any signage offering them. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't have them but considering they don't even make the tortillas for their tacos in-house, I'd say it's unlikely.

=R=
  • Post #10 - July 10th, 2018, 3:56 pm
    Post #10 - July 10th, 2018, 3:56 pm Post #10 - July 10th, 2018, 3:56 pm
    stevez wrote:

I was under the impression that Tacos Mineros are what they call Tacos de Canasta in a place like Aguascalientes. Same idea in that the basket tacos could sit and steam and stay warm while miners worked the mines.

If anyone is curious about Mexican style pastes / empanadas via Hidalgo you can check this cool article from Roads & Kingdoms. Then head over to one of my personal GNR's in Golden Tuzo on Diversey in Belmont-Cragin. I'm 99.9% sure that you wont find them at Carniceria Guanajuato.
  • Post #11 - July 12th, 2018, 11:42 am
    Post #11 - July 12th, 2018, 11:42 am Post #11 - July 12th, 2018, 11:42 am
    Semi-OT: The Economist just published an article talking about how the Cornish pasty became a Mexican delicacy:
    https://www.1843magazine.com/food-drink ... n-delicacy
  • Post #12 - July 13th, 2018, 9:19 am
    Post #12 - July 13th, 2018, 9:19 am Post #12 - July 13th, 2018, 9:19 am
    stevez wrote:

I should have been clearer. They are tacos in tortillas. In an empanada, they would be very much like a pasty. I was just thinking of them as a miner's lunch.

Thank you, Rene G and DaBeef for the links and information on the Hidalgo connection. I don't imagine I will get to Hidalgo this trip, but some of the Gto. and Hidalgo traditions overlap - especially barbacoa. (I'm working on a post about what I've found in San Miguel de Allende.)

Looks like on my next visit to Chicago, I am going to have to head over to Belmont-Craigin and to Taqueria Guanajuato #3 to fill in my knowledge gaps!
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #13 - August 11th, 2019, 6:58 pm
    Post #13 - August 11th, 2019, 6:58 pm Post #13 - August 11th, 2019, 6:58 pm
    Been here dozens of times but until this weekend, I'd never tried their Chile Relleno tacos. However, on Saturday morning I needed to pick up breakfast for a group that included a few who prefer no meat. No problem. Gave CG#3 a call at about 8:45 and ordered a half-dozen chile relleno tacos. And while I was at it, inquired about chorizo and egg, which is not on the menu. No problema. Ordered 6 of those tacos, too. 10 minutes later, as I was making my way back to the taqueria, they were packing up the order. Napkins, several cups of salsa and wedges of lime were provided before I could even request them.

Even after being swaddled in foil and chauffeured 15 minutes north, those chile relleno tacos were spectacular. Tender, lightly battered poblanos with just a wee bit of heat, filled with warm, gooey cheese. Nice soft corn tortillas, too. Heavenly. I was a rock star showing up with these things. And chorizo and egg, also no slouch, rounded out our grab-and-go meal nicely. Good to know those are available at breakfast time.

What a delight when a place I already love manages to surprise me in such a positive, memorable way. Good morning! :D

=R=
  • Post #14 - August 11th, 2019, 7:28 pm
    Post #14 - August 11th, 2019, 7:28 pm Post #14 - August 11th, 2019, 7:28 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:chile relleno tacos were spectacular. Tender, lightly battered poblanos with just a wee bit of heat, filled with warm, gooey cheese. Nice soft corn tortillas, too. Heavenly.
    Delicious and Huge!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #15 - August 11th, 2019, 7:42 pm
    Post #15 - August 11th, 2019, 7:42 pm Post #15 - August 11th, 2019, 7:42 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:chile relleno tacos were spectacular. Tender, lightly battered poblanos with just a wee bit of heat, filled with warm, gooey cheese. Nice soft corn tortillas, too. Heavenly.
    Delicious and Huge!

Yes, you're right. They were quite large. I guess because they can't really be smaller than the size of a whole poblano+. Very nice.

=R=
  • Post #16 - August 12th, 2019, 9:13 am
    Post #16 - August 12th, 2019, 9:13 am Post #16 - August 12th, 2019, 9:13 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:
    Delicious and Huge!

Yes, you're right. They were quite large. I guess because they can't really be smaller than the size of a whole poblano+. Very nice.

=R=

I've had chile rellenos tacos that are "smallish" -- Monica's in Wheeling, for instance. Because they're a gooey glob including refried beans, I've never tried to dissect one, but I suspect that rather than there being a small chile, it's instead a chunk of an entire chile relleno. I've had steak-and-chile-relleno burritos at El Fast Burrito in Des Plaines and they're definitely chopped large there.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #17 - August 12th, 2019, 9:27 am
    Post #17 - August 12th, 2019, 9:27 am Post #17 - August 12th, 2019, 9:27 am
    JoelF wrote:I've had steak-and-chile-relleno burritos at El Fast Burrito in Des Plaines and they're definitely chopped large there.

It's too bad that such a straightforward dish with a self-contained description in its name can somehow be morphed into something else. The beauty and satisfaction of relleno is pretty clear. Happily, there are still many places that serve them properly.

=R=
  • Post #18 - August 12th, 2019, 9:32 am
    Post #18 - August 12th, 2019, 9:32 am Post #18 - August 12th, 2019, 9:32 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    JoelF wrote:I've had steak-and-chile-relleno burritos at El Fast Burrito in Des Plaines and they're definitely chopped large there.

It's too bad that such a straightforward dish with a self-contained description in its name can somehow be morphed into something else. The beauty and satisfaction of relleno is pretty clear. Happily, there are still many places that serve them properly.

=R=

Frankly, I'd be pleased just to have rajas and melty cheese in a taco or burrito, but you're right the fried, battered, and sauced chile relleno is definitely lost.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #19 - August 12th, 2019, 9:33 am
    Post #19 - August 12th, 2019, 9:33 am Post #19 - August 12th, 2019, 9:33 am
    JoelF wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Frankly, I'd be pleased just to have rajas and melty cheese in a taco or burrito, but you're right the fried, battered, and sauced chile relleno is definitely lost.

Though not battered, fried or stuffed, rajas are glorious. Just, please, call them what they are.

=R=
  • Post #20 - August 12th, 2019, 9:49 am
    Post #20 - August 12th, 2019, 9:49 am Post #20 - August 12th, 2019, 9:49 am
    My Carniceria Guanajuato #3 chile relleno taco picture, third post in this thread, appears butterflied stuffed, battered, fried, delicious and huge. I am now officially craving chile relleno.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #21 - August 12th, 2019, 9:52 am
    Post #21 - August 12th, 2019, 9:52 am Post #21 - August 12th, 2019, 9:52 am
    G Wiv wrote:My Carniceria Guanajuato #3 chile relleno taco picture, third post in this thread, appears butterflied stuffed, battered, fried, delicious and huge. I am now officially craving chile relleno.

Oh, me too. But somehow, I don't think I should be having them 3x a week! :lol:

=R=
  • Post #22 - November 7th, 2019, 10:18 am
    Post #22 - November 7th, 2019, 10:18 am Post #22 - November 7th, 2019, 10:18 am
    A mixed bag at my maiden voyage to Carniceria Guanajuato. Massive in size and fried to order, the chile relleno was great. The carne asada taco, on the other hand, suffered from meat that was way too chewy (though I appreciated the quantity of steak and the flavor).

I'm sure I'll be back. The convenience of bringing these tacos to The Beer Temple across the street would be enough of a reason even without the greatness of the relleno and the promise of the asada.
  • Post #23 - November 7th, 2019, 10:59 am
    Post #23 - November 7th, 2019, 10:59 am Post #23 - November 7th, 2019, 10:59 am
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:A mixed bag at my maiden voyage to Carniceria Guanajuato. Massive in size and fried to order, the chile relleno was great. The carne asada taco, on the other hand, suffered from meat that was way too chewy

I'd guess I'm an outlier as carne asada is almost never in my taco lineup. Almost always too chewy, as you mention, dry and flavorless. Love tacos, love Carniceria Guanajuato, so much deliciousness to choose from. My typical Carniceria Guanajuato order is two lengua, chile relleno and/or tripas, chorizo and diet pepsi. Fellow has to watch is waistline. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #24 - November 7th, 2019, 11:33 am
    Post #24 - November 7th, 2019, 11:33 am Post #24 - November 7th, 2019, 11:33 am
    ^Agreed^ -- and I think I mentioned it upthread -- that the carne asada can be highly variable. But when it's on, it's on. Nonetheless, I usually go al pastor, lengua and chili relleno. And lately, I've also been getting chorizo and egg tacos on my way into work in the office. Them are good.

=R=
  • Post #25 - November 11th, 2019, 2:43 am
    Post #25 - November 11th, 2019, 2:43 am Post #25 - November 11th, 2019, 2:43 am
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote: A mixed bag at my maiden voyage to Carniceria Guanajuato. Massive in size and fried to order, the chile relleno was great. The carne asada taco, on the other hand, suffered from meat that was way too chewy (though I appreciated the quantity of steak and the flavor).
    I'm sure I'll be back. The convenience of bringing these tacos to The Beer Temple across the street would be enough of a reason even without the greatness of the relleno and the promise of the asada.
    The last time I was there, a chicken burrito [+ free can of soda] was on special. It was OK.
    Yes, not enough people know about bringing its food over to the Beer Temple. But I go as far as bringing it further on to Metropolitan Brwg.'s tap room. :D
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #26 - July 21st, 2020, 12:39 am
    Post #26 - July 21st, 2020, 12:39 am Post #26 - July 21st, 2020, 12:39 am
    The joy of a simple tongue taco.

Lengua, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #27 - April 1st, 2021, 4:31 pm
    Post #27 - April 1st, 2021, 4:31 pm Post #27 - April 1st, 2021, 4:31 pm
    All still quite well at my favorite taqueria . . .

Carne Asada

Al Pastor

=R=
  • Post #28 - April 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm
    Post #28 - April 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm Post #28 - April 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm
    I took my next door neighbor in Valpo for a spin thru a couple of my fave grocery/snack spots last Saturday—1st Joong Boo (shrimp & pork dumplings were fantastic) and then to CG on Ashland. Carnitas and Barbacoa tacos hit the spot. Was fun sharing my old haunts with someone who’d never been :)
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #29 - April 11th, 2021, 12:14 pm
    Post #29 - April 11th, 2021, 12:14 pm Post #29 - April 11th, 2021, 12:14 pm
    Driving down california at lunch time and had to make the stop for a great lunch of four tacos—lomo encebollado, chicharron, al pastor, and chile relleno. All were on point but that chile relleno taco can’t be beat. Also appreciate that they have a small little trompo for the al pastor instead of just marinating and using the plancha.
  • Post #30 - September 21st, 2021, 9:45 pm
    Post #30 - September 21st, 2021, 9:45 pm Post #30 - September 21st, 2021, 9:45 pm
    I post these images here because they should be here. But I am going to link to them in this LTHF thread.
    Have to inform you {if you did not know already} that tortas are messy (and I do not mean Lionel :lol:) This is a tortas de salchicha ($5.49). Image Image Image
    This is also probably as good a spot as anywhere to let all you know that today, I installed AT&T Gigabit Fiber here at the abode. The Speedtest shows uploads and download in the mid-900s, which is a lot faster than 53/Kbps. Image

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more