LTH Home

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2019

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2019
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 19 of 19 
  • Post #541 - December 30th, 2019, 11:31 am
    Post #541 - December 30th, 2019, 11:31 am Post #541 - December 30th, 2019, 11:31 am
    I agree with the others voicing their objections to the change; I like having an O&C thread where we can see updates on what's going on around town without having to open a specific topic for each one.

Perhaps O&C would work better - without as much clutter, if you will - if it were strictly opening and closing announcements, and anyone who wants to respond with additional comments (other than corrections) should do that in the dedicated thread for that restaurant. Just a suggestion.
  • Post #542 - December 30th, 2019, 1:00 pm
    Post #542 - December 30th, 2019, 1:00 pm Post #542 - December 30th, 2019, 1:00 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Hi everyone,

Some of you may have noticed that we Moderators have moved a few recent posts from this thread to dedicated threads. Our goal in the new year is to de-emphasize this thread because so much information posted here -- often useful -- becomes very hard to find and reference as the year goes on.

So, even though we will be starting a new O&C thread for 2020, we'd like to see it used as infrequently as possible; only in instances that really makes sense (e.g. confirmed closings of places that never had their own dedicated threads). Since one of LTH's primary objectives is to be a living resource, we hope that this change will produce the intended result: content posted in dedicated threads is much easier to search, find and reference in perpetuity.

If you have news about an opening or a confirmed closing, we hope that you'll take the time to start a new thread about it, if there isn't already one going. The 'old site search' is quite helpful in locating existing threads. But if you have any trouble using it, we Moderators are here to help. Additionally, Cathy plans to post a brief tutorial on how to use this function. And, worst case, we Moderators will prune the O&C thread and relocate applicable content posted there to more suitable threads.

We truly appreciate the content posted here and we want to make sure that it's as easy as possible to find it.

Thank you, for your understanding and cooperation.

=R=
    for the Moderators

IMO, this is a great move. I do read the O&C thread, but it is frustrating to see repeated posts about a restaurant, especially openings, in this thread. If there is a dedicated thread, my guess is more people would post in those threads.

It's frustrating to read all of the posts about a place when a restaurant doesn't have it's own thread, but is mentioned in multiple junk drawer threads.
  • Post #543 - December 30th, 2019, 1:42 pm
    Post #543 - December 30th, 2019, 1:42 pm Post #543 - December 30th, 2019, 1:42 pm
    Here’s another reason why opening announcements And discussions should appear here first.

If a new thread appears with the title being the name of the restaurant I will not be especially inclined to read the posting. If the title includes a teaser of some kind that might encourage me to read further, but now we are stuck with a title that is probably not appropriate in the long term.
  • Post #544 - December 30th, 2019, 2:12 pm
    Post #544 - December 30th, 2019, 2:12 pm Post #544 - December 30th, 2019, 2:12 pm
    scottsol wrote:Here’s another reason why opening announcements And discussions should appear here first.

If a new thread appears with the title being the name of the restaurant I will not be especially inclined to read the posting. If the title includes a teaser of some kind that might encourage me to read further, but now we are stuck with a title that is probably not appropriate in the long term.

Agree. I eluded to this last night. For example, the South Loop's new-ish Cameroonian restaurant is called "The PowerHouse Restaurant". When I first saw this name, I immediately thought it must be some type of American bar and grill. If it wasn't for making my ethnic food map, I would have completely disregarded it as just another restaurant there's a million of due to the name. If it had its own thread and the title was merely "The PowerHouse Restaurant" then I'd also completely disregard it and not even realize there's something unique in the South Loop.

I like the idea that the poster before had. If a post in here spawns off other replies, then put those in a new thread. Otherwise, leave them in here until someone replies (if ever). At the end of the day though, I think a curated list that the mods keep somewhere that shows the openings and closings would be useful. Otherwise I'll do it ;)
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #545 - December 30th, 2019, 2:59 pm
    Post #545 - December 30th, 2019, 2:59 pm Post #545 - December 30th, 2019, 2:59 pm
    you want lists? eater is tge place. isn't this supposed to be the chicago based culinary CHAT site? wtf?!
  • Post #546 - December 30th, 2019, 6:08 pm
    Post #546 - December 30th, 2019, 6:08 pm Post #546 - December 30th, 2019, 6:08 pm
    scottsol said:
    I suggest that O&C continue as the preferred spot for opening information until after the restaurant is actually open, at which point a separate topic makes sense. Many of the announced places never get reviewed here and who needs a separate topic that doesn’t discuss the operating restaurant.

For closings, there should be a post here and on any existing topic with discussion continuing there.

I agree that starting a thread for a restaurant that is coming soon does not make a lot of sense. I am also reluctant to start a thread for a new restaurant which I have seen but have not eaten at but am quite willing to post in O&C as others may be interested. For closings my policy has been to post in the dedicated thread and in O&C.

nsxtasy said:
    I agree with the others voicing their objections to the change; I like having an O&C thread where we can see updates on what's going on around town without having to open a specific topic for each one.

Perhaps O&C would work better - without as much clutter, if you will - if it were strictly opening and closing announcements, and anyone who wants to respond with additional comments (other than corrections) should do that in the dedicated thread for that restaurant.

I agree.
  • Post #547 - December 30th, 2019, 6:35 pm
    Post #547 - December 30th, 2019, 6:35 pm Post #547 - December 30th, 2019, 6:35 pm

"Say It Ain't So, Joe":

Maddon’s Post, the Wrigleyville Restaurant Named for the Ex-Cubs Manager, Closes

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/12/30/21 ... y-mantuano

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
  • Post #548 - December 31st, 2019, 6:18 am
    Post #548 - December 31st, 2019, 6:18 am Post #548 - December 31st, 2019, 6:18 am
    Mama Milano Pizza Bar at 1421 N. Wells closed as of December 29th, According to a post on their Facebook page they will be renovating and moving in to a larger space next door with plans to reopen sometime in summer 2020.

Facebook post
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more