LTH Home

Cabos Baja Cafe and Grill

• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Cabos Baja Cafe and Grill

Post #1 - January 4th, 2019, 6:31 pm
    Post #1 - January 4th, 2019, 6:31 pm Post #1 - January 4th, 2019, 6:31 pm
    They opened around the end of September in the space where Dona Torta had been on California. From the About Us portion of their web site:

As many customers know chef villegas open Wholly Frijoles Mexican Grill in Lincolnwood, Illinois in year 2000 with a big success up to 2016. When he and his wife decide to take a break and sale to my nephew Christian Villegas.
    But we could stop for to long instead we went to do something that we were not sure if was that what we want to do it, but now we are here in our new place ``CABOS BAJA`` cafe and grill with same enthusiasm to continue to cook same or better than before so we invite all whenever you closed to us stop in, hope to see you soon.

My wife and I were there for lunch today and had a very positive experience. The people are quite friendly, and the food we had was much better than what we had when Dona Torta was there. The parking lot will always be something of a pain in the butt.

With the caveat that we ordered from the specials menu, which is effective through January 6, we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. I had the chile en nogada, which was listed as an appetizer. This is the first time I have eaten this dish. I can understand the excitement about it if this is a typical rendition. Delightful. The chicken milanesa we shared was quite a large portion the a very crispy unusual breading for milanesa and not greasy. There were multiple slices of chicken breast. Accompaniments were small dishes of black beans, which retained their texture, a mango and jicama slaw with a pretty peppy dressing, and sweet potato fries. I had the tortilla soup, which is the most flavorful tortilla soup I have ever had with mutiple layers of flavor from dried chiles. She had the soup of the day, which used a tomato puree and was not spicy.

We want to go back and try some of the seafood dishes as well as other things on the menu.

5750 N. California Ave.
    Chicago 60659
    https://cabosbaja.com/
  • Post #2 - May 25th, 2019, 5:17 pm
    Post #2 - May 25th, 2019, 5:17 pm Post #2 - May 25th, 2019, 5:17 pm
    ekreider wrote:My wife and I were there for lunch today and had a very positive experience. The people are quite friendly, and the food we had was much better than what we had when Dona Torta was there.
    =-
    With the caveat that we ordered from the specials menu

Plus one on the positive experience, service was friendly and efficient. Plus one on the specials menu from which we ordered a soft shell crab appetizer, two on the small side soft shells perfectly cooked on a composed salad for $7.50, a deliciously terrific deal.

The bride had nicely mid-rare skirt steak with a few grilled shrimp on a bed of mashed potatoes, tortilla soup included, I went chilaquiles.

Cabos Baja is in a weird out of sight out of mind spot, they could use some LTH love. BYOB.

CabosBaja2.jpg Soft shell crab appetizer, $7.50

CabosBaja1.jpg Chilaquiles

CabosBaja3.jpg Mid-rare skirt steak with a few grilled shrimp on a bed of mashed potatoes

CabosBaja4.jpg Front door with hours.

Cabos Baja, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - May 25th, 2019, 5:59 pm
    Post #3 - May 25th, 2019, 5:59 pm Post #3 - May 25th, 2019, 5:59 pm
    Thanks for the reminder. I always forget about this place! Will definitely check it out shortly.
  • Post #4 - June 10th, 2021, 1:41 pm
    Post #4 - June 10th, 2021, 1:41 pm Post #4 - June 10th, 2021, 1:41 pm
    Closed
    Top Middle Eastern Restaurant is now in the location.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more