LTH Home

Lefty's Pizza Kitchen Wilmette (burnt cheese crust)

Lefty's Pizza Kitchen Wilmette (burnt cheese crust)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - August 22nd, 2020, 4:19 pm
    Post #61 - August 22nd, 2020, 4:19 pm Post #61 - August 22nd, 2020, 4:19 pm
    I am in total agreement with you. I will never go back to a newish restaurant because of their total silence in reply to my complaint.
  • Post #62 - August 22nd, 2020, 4:27 pm
    Post #62 - August 22nd, 2020, 4:27 pm Post #62 - August 22nd, 2020, 4:27 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Since the "Contact Us" link on their website leads to a page that says "Send Us A Comment, Tell us what you think," I used the form on their webpage.

    Thought:
    You are assuming just because Lefty's has an in-place communication conduit the technology works seamlessly. I'd call directly and ask to speak to the owner. I am willing to bet $1.27 you will be pleasantly surprised at the response.

    I am basing this thought on the fact John*, the owner of Lefty's, participated in this very thread three times to clear up negatives and questions.

    I don't have a horse in the race, iron in the fire or pea in the pod. Just a covid shut-in sticking his one-cent in where it really does not belong.

    *John says his name in this LTH thread.
    say my name, say my name
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #63 - August 23rd, 2020, 6:49 am
    Post #63 - August 23rd, 2020, 6:49 am Post #63 - August 23rd, 2020, 6:49 am
    Nope. Not my job. I ordered a pizza. I was unhappy. I reported it on their website. Now I'm supposed to be responsible for ensuring that their website works too? Nope. Ain't gonna happen. Their restaurant, their responsibility. Their website, their responsibility.
    Gypsy Boy

    "I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #64 - August 23rd, 2020, 7:57 am
    Post #64 - August 23rd, 2020, 7:57 am Post #64 - August 23rd, 2020, 7:57 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Nope. Not my job.

    Everybody has their Line in the Sand, yours happens to be Pizza.

    Image

    Times are tough for restaurants. Skeleton staff with unexpected call-offs, 30% stream of income, I tend to give even more rhythm Mid-2020 than usual. Empathy comes to mind, especially for one of a kind single owner place.

    Is it your problem, no absolutely not. Are you right and me wrong, probably. I get the sense you are a nicer fellow than me, interesting how we seem to have irreconcilable views on this minor ever so 1st world issue.

    YMMV
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #65 - August 23rd, 2020, 7:57 am
    Post #65 - August 23rd, 2020, 7:57 am Post #65 - August 23rd, 2020, 7:57 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Nope. Not my job. I ordered a pizza. I was unhappy. I reported it on their website. Now I'm supposed to be responsible for ensuring that their website works too? Nope. Ain't gonna happen. Their restaurant, their responsibility. Their website, their responsibility.
    I agree completely. It seems perverse and ridiculous to respond to the failure of the business to have a functioning online contact link as giving rise to another duty on behalf of the customer to get the message across a different way. Many people are nonconfrontational by nature and prefer to simply convey the message in writing as opposed to over-the-phone which works better if you need a dialogue. This doesn't seem like that at all. You're just telling them what happened, and all you need is "message received" confirmation.

    There are plenty of restaurants out there competing for business. If the food is good, and reliably so, it makes all the sense in the world to stick with places. But it doesn't make any sense to bend over backwards to triple check that they are in-fact no longer living up to prior standards.

    One could view it as callous toward the first place, but by the same token it could be seen as welcoming and nice to the next restaurant which will be getting a chance because of this.
  • Post #66 - August 23rd, 2020, 8:38 am
    Post #66 - August 23rd, 2020, 8:38 am Post #66 - August 23rd, 2020, 8:38 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Nope. Not my job.

    Are you right and me wrong, probably. I get the sense you are a nicer fellow than me, interesting how we seem to have irreconcilable views on this minor ever so 1st world issue.


    Not a matter of right and wrong. I don't think there is any way to know anything for certain here. However, I also think, particularly with what is going on and how hard restaurants are struggling right now, that places would be that much more vigilant (for lack of a better word) about customer service. That still doesn't make it my responsibility to try every possible thing to make sure my message gets through.

    We order out routinely now, trying to spread our "not enough" dollars to as many small places as we can. We've had issues before and been treated very well by some and not so well by others. I think those that take customer service seriously will make sure that everything--from order takers to chefs to delivery people (which is often in their control because I make it a point NOT to use Grubhub or DoorDash)--is as good as it can be. And that means taking responsibility for making sure your website is up to date, accurate, and working. If you can't be bothered to take care of it, that's just another sign to me that you don't care enough.

    But, in any case, we're only guessing what happened here. It may also be that the message function works just fine and they chose not to respond for some incomprehensible (to me) reason.
    Gypsy Boy

    "I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #67 - August 23rd, 2020, 8:45 am
    Post #67 - August 23rd, 2020, 8:45 am Post #67 - August 23rd, 2020, 8:45 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:But, in any case, we're only guessing what happened here. It may also be that the message function works just fine and they chose not to respond for some incomprehensible (to me) reason.

    Or maybe an employee intercepted the note and deleted it before his boss was aware.

    Stuff happens!

    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #68 - August 23rd, 2020, 10:48 am
    Post #68 - August 23rd, 2020, 10:48 am Post #68 - August 23rd, 2020, 10:48 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Nope. Not my job. I ordered a pizza. I was unhappy. I reported it on their website. Now I'm supposed to be responsible for ensuring that their website works too? Nope. Ain't gonna happen. Their restaurant, their responsibility. Their website, their responsibility.

    I couldn't agree more.

    Cathy2 wrote:
    Gypsy Boy wrote:But, in any case, we're only guessing what happened here. It may also be that the message function works just fine and they chose not to respond for some incomprehensible (to me) reason.

    Or maybe an employee intercepted the note and deleted it before his boss was aware.

    Since feedback coming through a conduit like this would almost certainly involve employees' conduct and performance, one would have to wonder why a business owner would set up such a mechanism and direct it anywhere other than his or her own email address. I suppose that's possible but it seems unlikely.

    More likely, this is just some "fog of war" oversight caused by the current situation we're all in. If anything, that would be a reason to give them another chance, even if no response is ever received. Personally, I'd dread the idea of being assessed right now as if everything were normal. It's probably a struggle just to keep a business like this staffed and open these days. Context is everything.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #69 - August 23rd, 2020, 11:13 am
    Post #69 - August 23rd, 2020, 11:13 am Post #69 - August 23rd, 2020, 11:13 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:More likely, this is just some "fog of war" oversight caused by the current situation we're all in. If anything, that would be a reason to give them another chance, even if no response is ever received. Personally, I'd dread the idea of being assessed right now as if everything were normal. It's probably a struggle just to keep a business like this staffed and open these days. Context is everything.
    =R=

    Agree 100%. Which is why we intend to order again at least a couple times to see what happens. Unless it's something really outrageous--and mediocre food is many things but not "really outrageous"--I'm inclined to give a place another try or two before taking them out of the rotation for precisely the reasons Ron lists.
    Gypsy Boy

    "I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #70 - August 23rd, 2020, 11:22 am
    Post #70 - August 23rd, 2020, 11:22 am Post #70 - August 23rd, 2020, 11:22 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Since the "Contact Us" link on their website leads to a page that says "Send Us A Comment, Tell us what you think," I used the form on their webpage.

    I would estimate that this is one of perhaps a dozen or so. We have had both thin crust and pan and liked both versions (particularly the crust, which is partly why this barely baked version seemed to add insult to injury). I would guess that this is the first time we've had a complaint of any kind. Might it be a one-off? Absolutely. But a total lack of response to an e-mail--particularly when the restaurant goes to the trouble of creating a form specifically asking me to tell them what I think--does not incline me favorably. It's been a full week now and I think I'm "deserving" of some sort of response. They're certainly entitled to say I'm nuts, but even that beats being ignored entirely.


    Hi Gypsy Boy. I never received any message and take your claim very serious. Do me a favor and call the restaurant and ask for myself (John) or Christian, and explain exactly what happened. We will get to the bottom of the problem and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

    John
    Lefty’s Pizza Kitchen
  • Post #71 - August 23rd, 2020, 11:49 am
    Post #71 - August 23rd, 2020, 11:49 am Post #71 - August 23rd, 2020, 11:49 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Agree 100%.

    Seems Ronnie said about the same thing as me but you agree with him, odd, very odd.

    I am sending a complaint via the web based contact. Don't ignore or I won't ~patronize~ your business ever again.
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #72 - August 23rd, 2020, 12:19 pm
    Post #72 - August 23rd, 2020, 12:19 pm Post #72 - August 23rd, 2020, 12:19 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Agree 100%.

    Seems Ronnie said about the same thing as me but you agree with him, odd, very odd.


    Uh no. Unless my reading skills have declined precipitously, you told me I should contact the restaurant to follow up on their failure to respond to me. I disagreed and Ronnie agreed with me that it was not my responsibility.

    But it doesn't matter. John responded here. I just got off the phone, a very pleasant conversation with Christian. I understand what likely happened; it's completely understandable and, as I have said all along, we intended to go back no matter what. Turns out Ron's "fog of war" explanation is largely correct; I couldn't know that they didn't receive my message and they couldn't know I sent it. (Though that still seems peculiar to me, things happen.) So: we will order again. Given Christian's explanation, and our own previous experience, I strongly suspect everything will be fine. And either way, I promise to post here.
    Gypsy Boy

    "I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #73 - August 23rd, 2020, 12:46 pm
    Post #73 - August 23rd, 2020, 12:46 pm Post #73 - August 23rd, 2020, 12:46 pm
    I have ordered from Lefty's many times and not just because it is about a mile from my house. I’ve never been disappointed with their product or service and would assume an “off” day would be just that.
    I’m planning to order from them this Saturday, taking it to my niece’s family for a physically distanced shared meal. Looking forward to sharing their delicious pizza with my family in Wauconda. Our last meal together was a Zoom birthday party...for their dog.
    Even if John hadn’t joined the conversation here, I would have still ordered Lefty’s pizza for my family this Saturday. Too many challenges for all of us but kindness reigns. Glad you were/are prepared to give then a second chance, Gypsy Boy.
  • Post #74 - August 23rd, 2020, 1:32 pm
    Post #74 - August 23rd, 2020, 1:32 pm Post #74 - August 23rd, 2020, 1:32 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Since feedback coming through a conduit like this would almost certainly involve employees' conduct and performance, one would have to wonder why a business owner would set up such a mechanism and direct it anywhere other than his or her own email address. I suppose that's possible but it seems unlikely.

    Unlikely and yet it happened.
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #75 - August 23rd, 2020, 1:37 pm
    Post #75 - August 23rd, 2020, 1:37 pm Post #75 - August 23rd, 2020, 1:37 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Since feedback coming through a conduit like this would almost certainly involve employees' conduct and performance, one would have to wonder why a business owner would set up such a mechanism and direct it anywhere other than his or her own email address. I suppose that's possible but it seems unlikely.

    Unlikely and yet it happened.

    No. It didn't happen. John wrote that he never received the message, not that it was intercepted by an employee, which is what you posited. There's no conspiracy here.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #76 - August 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm
    Post #76 - August 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm Post #76 - August 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm
    I dont want to get involved in any way whatsoever in this debate, but I can squash any conspiracy that an employee intercepted Gypsy’s message. Messages come directly to my personal email, which only I have access to.
    I personally respond to any and all messages. I’m not afraid to face the music good or bad, and it’s not “peculiar” at all that I didn’t receive Gypsy’s message, as I’ve responded to notification here!
    I take pride in the product I produce, and see it as an honor to serve your family dinner, and if I am the reason your family didn’t have a good meal, then I will fix it!
    I wish all of you a great day, and stay safe!
    John
    Lefty’s Pizza Kitchen
  • Post #77 - August 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm
    Post #77 - August 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm Post #77 - August 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm
    G Wiv wrote:You are assuming just because Lefty's has an in-place communication conduit the technology works seamlessly. I'd call directly and ask to speak to the owner. I am willing to bet $1.27 you will be pleasantly surprised at the response.

    I am basing this thought on the fact John*, the owner of Lefty's, participated in this very thread three times to clear up negatives and questions.


    Gypsy Boy wrote:But it doesn't matter. John responded here. I just got off the phone, a very pleasant conversation with Christian. I understand what likely happened; it's completely understandable and, as I have said all along, we intended to go back no matter what. Turns out Ron's "fog of war" explanation is largely correct; I couldn't know that they didn't receive my message and they couldn't know I sent it. (Though that still seems peculiar to me, things happen.)
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #78 - August 23rd, 2020, 2:45 pm
    Post #78 - August 23rd, 2020, 2:45 pm Post #78 - August 23rd, 2020, 2:45 pm
    Thank you to whoever alerted John to this thread, who could now respond.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #79 - August 24th, 2020, 6:13 am
    Post #79 - August 24th, 2020, 6:13 am Post #79 - August 24th, 2020, 6:13 am
    Lessons learned:
    1. Don't rely on technology to make your point; it often fails.
    2 It's far more fun to read about the food and drink than it is to follow a page of flame-throwing LTHers fighting with each other.
  • Post #80 - August 24th, 2020, 8:29 am
    Post #80 - August 24th, 2020, 8:29 am Post #80 - August 24th, 2020, 8:29 am
    Meanwhile...any update on when the Highland Park location is set to open?
  • Post #81 - August 24th, 2020, 8:42 am
    Post #81 - August 24th, 2020, 8:42 am Post #81 - August 24th, 2020, 8:42 am
    AlexG wrote:Meanwhile...any update on when the Highland Park location is set to open?

    You could send an email from their website and ask. 8)
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #82 - August 24th, 2020, 8:50 am
    Post #82 - August 24th, 2020, 8:50 am Post #82 - August 24th, 2020, 8:50 am
    AlexG wrote:Meanwhile...any update on when the Highland Park location is set to open?

    A phone call is far more effective.
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #83 - August 24th, 2020, 3:20 pm
    Post #83 - August 24th, 2020, 3:20 pm Post #83 - August 24th, 2020, 3:20 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    AlexG wrote:Meanwhile...any update on when the Highland Park location is set to open?

    A phone call is far more effective.
    You know I will make the call... :wink: They are still waiting on permits with the city of HP. Might be only a few more weeks.
  • Post #84 - August 25th, 2020, 8:50 pm
    Post #84 - August 25th, 2020, 8:50 pm Post #84 - August 25th, 2020, 8:50 pm
    You know I will make the call... :wink: They are still waiting on permits with the city of HP. Might be only a few more weeks.


    Thanks for the update. I sent a note with a carrier pigeon but had yet to receive a response.
  • Post #85 - August 26th, 2020, 12:30 pm
    Post #85 - August 26th, 2020, 12:30 pm Post #85 - August 26th, 2020, 12:30 pm
    AlexG wrote:
    You know I will make the call... :wink: They are still waiting on permits with the city of HP. Might be only a few more weeks.


    Thanks for the update. I sent a note with a carrier pigeon but had yet to receive a response.


    The pigeon just got here and he refused to wait for my written response. I will call him tomorrow to pick up for return delivery.
  • Post #86 - August 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm
    Post #86 - August 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm Post #86 - August 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm
    Or do you have a squab special today?
  • Post #87 - September 3rd, 2020, 6:27 pm
    Post #87 - September 3rd, 2020, 6:27 pm Post #87 - September 3rd, 2020, 6:27 pm
    Picked up a pizza a couple nights ago, and I'm happy to say it was the best I've ever had from Lefty's. Whatever Gypsy Boy told the owner, it worked. It was more well done (ie. cooked longer, more fully) than any prior version, and had less sauce than I recall in prior versions. It was ready on time. Everything about the order was flawless.

    Thank you to Gypsy and Lefty's. No reason for me to look elsewhere for non-thin as long as this remains the status quo.
  • Post #88 - September 8th, 2020, 10:51 am
    Post #88 - September 8th, 2020, 10:51 am Post #88 - September 8th, 2020, 10:51 am
    bweiny wrote:Picked up a pizza a couple nights ago, and I'm happy to say it was the best I've ever had from Lefty's. Whatever Gypsy Boy told the owner, it worked. It was more well done (ie. cooked longer, more fully) than any prior version, and had less sauce than I recall in prior versions. It was ready on time. Everything about the order was flawless.

    Thank you to Gypsy and Lefty's. No reason for me to look elsewhere for non-thin as long as this remains the status quo.
    Glad it was on point for you this time. I have never had a bad experience at Lefty's. It's tough to please everyone though. I prefer my pizza to be on the well done side, but I like more sauce on my pizza. And if given the choice, I always want more sauce than cheese (and I'm probably in the minority). Either way, all the deep dish pizzas I've had at Lefty's were well balanced. My next pizza will likely be their thin which I have wanted to try for a while but my low carb diet this year shut down all pizza crusts for a while.
  • Post #89 - September 9th, 2020, 11:47 am
    Post #89 - September 9th, 2020, 11:47 am Post #89 - September 9th, 2020, 11:47 am
    No thanks to me; they made the pizza. They simply explained to me the reasons behind the lousy pizza I got. All I did was explain why, specifically, I was unhappy. Their explanations made sense and I'm very glad to hear that you had a great pie. We're looking forward to the next one.
    Gypsy Boy

    "I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more