LTH Home

Lefty's Pizza Kitchen Wilmette+HP (burnt cheese crust)

Lefty's Pizza Kitchen Wilmette+HP (burnt cheese crust)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - February 1st, 2021, 12:02 pm
    Post #91 - February 1st, 2021, 12:02 pm Post #91 - February 1st, 2021, 12:02 pm
    I was given a little info by the manager (and owner John). This location has new electric ovens that they are getting used to so they might have a little tweaking to do for the first few weeks not to mention new unseasoned pans that need to be cooked in. But this is all good news and it only means everything will get even better. I ordered a thin pizza on opening day that was great with a nice char on the bottom. They cook their thin in a pan and then finish it on the oven deck. They can also do this if requested for the deep dish. My brother ordered a deep dish sausage last night and said it was as great as Wilmette. I think HP will embrace them especially because they are the first true Chicago style pizza place in downtown HP that has dine-in that we've ever had here which is hard to believe.

Moderators - can we edit the post title to just the name of the restaurant?
  • Post #92 - February 1st, 2021, 12:10 pm
    Post #92 - February 1st, 2021, 12:10 pm Post #92 - February 1st, 2021, 12:10 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Moderators - can we edit the post title to just the name of the restaurant?

Since the OP is active here, we'll leave it to him to make this decision and come up with something. We can always start a separate thread, if need be.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #93 - February 1st, 2021, 3:29 pm
    Post #93 - February 1st, 2021, 3:29 pm Post #93 - February 1st, 2021, 3:29 pm
    Changing it to "Wilmette+HP" or removing the location is fine with me. I don't care.

If I'm actually capable of making the change myself, that would be news to me.
  • Post #94 - February 1st, 2021, 3:36 pm
    Post #94 - February 1st, 2021, 3:36 pm Post #94 - February 1st, 2021, 3:36 pm
    bweiny wrote:Changing it to "Wilmette+HP" or removing the location is fine with me. I don't care.

If I'm actually capable of making the change myself, that would be news to me.

Once you click edit in your OP, you should have the ability to edit the subject line, as well. If not, let me know.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
  • Post #95 - February 2nd, 2021, 2:32 pm
    Post #95 - February 2nd, 2021, 2:32 pm Post #95 - February 2nd, 2021, 2:32 pm
    Beyond excited to give Lefty's a try the next time we order out. Was thinking about it last weekend but wanted to give them a little time to iron everything out. Just happy to have another option in town for variety and another downtown space occupied.
  • Post #96 - March 1st, 2021, 12:47 pm
    Post #96 - March 1st, 2021, 12:47 pm Post #96 - March 1st, 2021, 12:47 pm
    Finally got to try the HP location and we couldn't have been happier with our experience. After taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather Saturday afternoon with a few beers at Ravinia Brewery, we placed on order online, walked home, got the car, picked up (hot and ready on time, not a given, I have found with our good friend Lou down the street), and dined al garage-o at a neighbor's house. All eight of us really enjoyed the pizzas (thick cheese, thick sausage and onion, thick veggie with onion, green pepper, black olive and mushroom). For many it was their first time with this style of caramelized crust and all were won over. All three had great crusts, fresh ingredients, good balance between elements (not too much sauce, not too bready). I'd say this location is up and running on all cylinders and I am already looking forward to our next order.
  • Post #97 - March 1st, 2021, 2:42 pm
    Post #97 - March 1st, 2021, 2:42 pm Post #97 - March 1st, 2021, 2:42 pm
    Sounds like we had similar ideas. I picked up a deep sausage and extra cheese and a deep (meant to order thin) pepperoni to eat at Beermiscuous. Overall I thought they were very good. Excellent caramelization of the edges, though the bottom could have been crisper. I little heavy on the sauce, particularly on the sausage, and I thought that the sausage itself was a bit bland. I may try to order it with less dough next time if that is an option. Is there caramelization with the thin or just regular edge?

Will
  • Post #98 - March 3rd, 2021, 3:25 pm
    Post #98 - March 3rd, 2021, 3:25 pm Post #98 - March 3rd, 2021, 3:25 pm
    WillG wrote:Sounds like we had similar ideas. I picked up a deep sausage and extra cheese and a deep (meant to order thin) pepperoni to eat at Beermiscuous. Overall I thought they were very good. Excellent caramelization of the edges, though the bottom could have been crisper. I little heavy on the sauce, particularly on the sausage, and I thought that the sausage itself was a bit bland. I may try to order it with less dough next time if that is an option. Is there caramelization with the thin or just regular edge?

Will

The thin has cheese to the edge and it gets a little caramelized but not much. I personally prefer their deep dish and I love plenty of sauce on any pizza so your sausage pizza sounded like I would have enjoyed it.

TIP (mentioned upthread): If you prefer a crispier bottom, order it uncut. If you really want it crispy then you can ask Lefty's to "deck" your deep dish which is what they do for the thin pizza. They take the pizza out of the pan to crisp on the oven deck (and get a little char flavor on the undercarriage). I have not done this for a deep dish yet but I will try it.
  • Post #99 - November 16th, 2021, 9:33 pm
    Post #99 - November 16th, 2021, 9:33 pm Post #99 - November 16th, 2021, 9:33 pm
    My brother was in town and was looking to order deep dish, he suggested Lefty's in Wilmette. I had tried the thin crust a couple years ago and thought meh, but was up for trying the thick crust.

Mrs Willie & I really enjoyed the deep dish pizza. We thought the sausage had good flavor, mushrooms were fresh, not canned. Sauce was abundant which I love, others would have preferred less sauce. We liked the caramelized crust of the deep dish. It was delivered so I 'm sure the bottom crust suffered a bit as a result.

Have a couple slices leftover, looking forward to lunch tomorrow.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #100 - November 17th, 2021, 10:24 am
    Post #100 - November 17th, 2021, 10:24 am Post #100 - November 17th, 2021, 10:24 am
    Serving fresh, not canned, mushrooms is not a particularly high bar for me when seeking out good pizza. Canned mushrooms are like the "liquid smoke" of the vegetable world right?
  • Post #101 - November 17th, 2021, 12:29 pm
    Post #101 - November 17th, 2021, 12:29 pm Post #101 - November 17th, 2021, 12:29 pm
    champs2005 wrote:Serving fresh, not canned, mushrooms is not a particularly high bar for me when seeking out good pizza. Canned mushrooms are like the "liquid smoke" of the vegetable world right?

Never canned but fresh, only when they're par-cooked or sliced very thin. Way more often than not, raw mushrooms on pizza exude a lot of moisture and typically ruin it.

=R=
  • Post #102 - November 17th, 2021, 12:42 pm
    Post #102 - November 17th, 2021, 12:42 pm Post #102 - November 17th, 2021, 12:42 pm
    Ah good tip! Or perhaps roast them first?

Man, I especially hate those canned straw mushrooms that Cozy Noodle and other places dump in everything.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more