• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Time Out Market - I'm Excited...

Post #1 - March 28th, 2019, 9:30 am
    Post #1 - March 28th, 2019, 9:30 am Post #1 - March 28th, 2019, 9:30 am
    916 W Fulton Market, Chicago

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/restaur ... hef-lineup

50,000 sq ft, 3 levels, rooftop, 18 restaurants, 3 bars

In the lineup so far...

Jimmy Bannos Jr. of The Purple Pig, Dana Salls Cree of Pretty Cool Ice Cream, Thai Dang of HaiSous, Brian Fisher of Entente, Bill Kim of Urbanbelly, Edward Kim of Mott St., Zoe Schor of Split-Rail and Art Shabez of The Art of Pizza.

It's gonna be Huuugge!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #2 - March 28th, 2019, 10:27 am
    Post #2 - March 28th, 2019, 10:27 am Post #2 - March 28th, 2019, 10:27 am
    Ooo wee, this raises a ton of concerns about bias, credibility, etc. Are TOC journalists or restaurateurs? In addition to a cadre of places about which they'll likely never write another negative word, they've now put themselves in direct competition with places they're supposed to be reviewing objectively. Not that TOC's reviews have ever been worth much but this move blurs the line in dangerous and undesirable way.

=R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #3 - March 28th, 2019, 10:37 am
    Post #3 - March 28th, 2019, 10:37 am Post #3 - March 28th, 2019, 10:37 am
    Not the first time news organizations have owned public entities.

Always have to be selective on who reports places you quote.

In this case it is a pretty respectable lineup regardless of who’s reporting.
  • Post #4 - March 28th, 2019, 11:29 am
    Post #4 - March 28th, 2019, 11:29 am Post #4 - March 28th, 2019, 11:29 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Ooo wee, this raises a ton of concerns about bias, credibility, etc. Are TOC journalists or restaurateurs? In addition to a cadre of places about which they'll likely never write another negative word, they've now put themselves in direct competition with places they're supposed to be reviewing objectively. Not that TOC's reviews have ever been worth much but this move blurs the line in dangerous and undesirable way.

=R=

Agreed. Will they write negative pieces for the competition is an issue?
    Last edited by pairs4life on March 28th, 2019, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #5 - March 28th, 2019, 11:43 am
    Post #5 - March 28th, 2019, 11:43 am Post #5 - March 28th, 2019, 11:43 am
    It's Time Out, not exactly hard-hitting journalism. They're already a little suspect in terms of credibility. But they've been doing this elsewhere with considerable success, the general idea is to have a "curated" place for tourists to sample the city's offerings. It's not dramatically different than what the French Market started out as.
  • Post #6 - March 28th, 2019, 12:07 pm
    Post #6 - March 28th, 2019, 12:07 pm Post #6 - March 28th, 2019, 12:07 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:It's Time Out, not exactly hard-hitting journalism. They're already a little suspect in terms of credibility. But they've been doing this elsewhere with considerable success, the general idea is to have a "curated" place for tourists to sample the city's offerings. It's not dramatically different than what the French Market started out as.

Agreed on TOC's overall credibility. As for the French Market, it doesn't also own and operate an editorial publication that covers restaurants and bars.

=R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #7 - March 28th, 2019, 12:34 pm
    Post #7 - March 28th, 2019, 12:34 pm Post #7 - March 28th, 2019, 12:34 pm
    I'm certainly excited about the market, particularly when it comes to the vendors named so far. And for me, Time Out long ago ceased being a guide I would look to for restaurant advice (they must know this too), so I hardly care. I think they're on about the same level as Where magazine.
  • Post #8 - March 29th, 2019, 9:04 am
    Post #8 - March 29th, 2019, 9:04 am Post #8 - March 29th, 2019, 9:04 am
    Food halls, food halls... everyone wants to build a food hall.

Here's my take - our group now operating in 3 halls in 2 cities, probably opening in 3 more this year (not announced), and taking 20 meetings after 100 proposals from Seattle to Miami..

There are a few varying public opinions on this trend: 1) it's over-hyped and short-lived 2) everyone is making a killing at food halls 3) popular chef-driven concepts are a perfect fit

1) It's not so much over-hyped or short-lived, but their success is misappropriated - more below.

2) 10% of the vendors at any given hall do really well, not all food halls are having success, NO food hall is busy outside of peak hours of dining (11-2 mainly as this is a great lunch, dinner not so much, but you'll squeeze a decent dinner 5-7).

3) Chefs have taken a liking to fast-casual as an escape from the high-pressure environment of their main establishments. The trick is: your concept has to make sense on several notes: a) it must be delicious b) it has to be easy to understand (helps if you already have a B & M of the same c) needs to be executed at a high level daily without the (chef) talent - as he/she likely has to spend their time elsewhere.

First and foremost, it's not a cash-grab. You can't charge $18 for a cheeseburger, even if it's Wagyu, in a counter-service environment. Using high level ingredients costs the same over a counter as it does at a table - and the cost of the dining room and server isn't 2-3x more than the counter service joint. Your ingredients are still your main cost of the dish regardless of what medium it's sold. When you serve a "chef burger" in a sit-down place that has a full restaurant menu, you can get away with a $18 price tag. Your premium burger ingredients cost (at most) $3-$4. To make a profit, you need to charge 4x-5x food cost (standard used to be 3x, but with rising cost of labor, rent, etc. you gotta shoot a little higher these days). In a dining room, with a (tipped) server, $17-$21 is the new norm for the "chef burger". You just can't get that $$ across a counter, but you're using the same ingredients and a $15-$17/hr line cook running the griddle/grill.

So the main idea: your food has to be delicious and affordable.. but also "cool", but not "too cool"... so - we're talking high end comfort food that's not too expensive. taking notes?

Food halls are a great way to bring a bunch of concepts together for diners in a densely populated area. Sharing overhead, designing a cool space (Revival is the best example of this), having a good bar program, music, etc. all add to the experience & value. However, a food-hall is not a "cash-grab" or as easy as Revival makes it look. Revival is successful because 14 top-notch concepts, that already exist and have systems/success elsewhere, brought their respective talents to a well-managed, well designed, well-run establishment. You can't invent a one-off concept for a food-hall and expect the same success. You can't get into the food hall biz without really knowing the restaurant biz. You need a myriad of great teams to execute a great food hall - the halls I have seen that only use 1 chef, to essentially invent 10-20 "concepts" are boring and bland.

To summarize: Food halls aren't a short-lived trend, but only the really well-executed halls will survive. Within the hall - only the very-well run concepts will survive and thrive, the rest will be constantly switched out.
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #9 - March 29th, 2019, 12:22 pm
    Post #9 - March 29th, 2019, 12:22 pm Post #9 - March 29th, 2019, 12:22 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:2) 10% of the vendors at any given hall do really well, not all food halls are having success, NO food hall is busy outside of peak hours of dining (11-2 mainly as this is a great lunch, dinner not so much, but you'll squeeze a decent dinner 5-7).

Good insight all around, but I'm wondering if Time Out will be different in this regard. I was just in Lisbon at the beginning of the month for about a week and dined at the Time Out Market twice and walked through another time, all at off peak hours(even for Portuguese/Europeans), and it was always slammed.

As mentioned up-thread, this is much more aimed at/suited for tourists and that's what the name recognition brings it. I met a few Europeans in my travels/here that had no idea about Revival when visiting Chicago, but they'd be very likely to know about a Time Out Market. I don't know how that translates to American travelers, which we obviously get a lot more of, but I'd be willing to bet that they'd be much more likely to know about this than Revival or any of our other ones.
  • Post #10 - September 12th, 2019, 11:06 am
    Post #10 - September 12th, 2019, 11:06 am Post #10 - September 12th, 2019, 11:06 am
    Getting better with more chefs joining...

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/restaur ... f-lineup-2
  • Post #11 - November 21st, 2019, 9:47 am
    Post #11 - November 21st, 2019, 9:47 am Post #11 - November 21st, 2019, 9:47 am
    The latest of Time Out's food halls has opened on Fulton (at Sangamon). They opened the first one in Lisbon and there are others in Montreal, NY, Boston and Miami. It's a very curated selection of local spots/chefs. I attended a preview last night with limited menus at each booth but the food was great. Band of Bohemia, Purple Pig, Abe Conlon and Brian Fisher were standouts, but I got pretty full pretty quickly, so hard to judge all of them.
  • Post #12 - November 21st, 2019, 3:16 pm
    Post #12 - November 21st, 2019, 3:16 pm Post #12 - November 21st, 2019, 3:16 pm
    Finally open

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news/ti ... 9--2534013

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more