LTH Home

Korean Spoon, Glenview

Korean Spoon, Glenview
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Korean Spoon, Glenview

Post #1 - March 28th, 2019, 6:41 pm
    Post #1 - March 28th, 2019, 6:41 pm Post #1 - March 28th, 2019, 6:41 pm
    I read Chicago Tribune Food & Dining recent New Koreatown roundup with great interest, some familiar names, some new, a few went on a try list but one 90-word capsule by the amazing Louisa Chu jumped to the top of the list with Ms. Chu's statement "I'd eat here every day if I could" Korean Spoon in Glenview. She referenced a lunch set of gimbap, tteokbokki and sundae for $10.99 with tea, banchan and soup, this was an amazing meal.

Coupled with the friendliness of Owner Mr. Kim, even if he did wonder about the large non-Asian enjoying Korean blood sausage and only slightly mispronouncing gochujang, ultra reasonable prices, soups, banchan, kimbop, raw marinated crab to go, parking, plenty of comfortable seating, even if most of their business seems to be pickup/takeaway, it was a wonderful lunch which I will be repeating soon.

Korean Spoon, Count me a Fan!

KoreanSpoonP3.jpg Korean Spoon, gimbap, tteokbokki and sundae

KoreanSpoonP6.jpg Korean Spoon, menu

KoreanSpoonP5.jpg Korean Spoon, Glenview

KoreanSpoonP1.jpg Korean Spoon

Korean Spoon
    214 Greenwood Ave.
    Glenview, IL
    847-637-7573
    Tuesday - Friday
    11am - 3pm
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - March 29th, 2019, 6:42 am
    Post #2 - March 29th, 2019, 6:42 am Post #2 - March 29th, 2019, 6:42 am
    The referenced Trib article is an excellent piece of journalism!
  • Post #3 - March 29th, 2019, 8:06 am
    Post #3 - March 29th, 2019, 8:06 am Post #3 - March 29th, 2019, 8:06 am
    Glad Jeon Joo on Dempster in Morton Grove is getting some love in the abovementioned Trib article. To me it concocts the best rendition of goat stew with perilla leaves, with the kicker being the waitress afterwards mixes the goat remnants of the huge wok with kimchi, egg and rice to make a fried rice the likes of which are transcendant. Gotta get back there!
    Last edited by jnm123 on March 29th, 2019, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #4 - March 29th, 2019, 8:24 am
    Post #4 - March 29th, 2019, 8:24 am Post #4 - March 29th, 2019, 8:24 am
    please: soondae or zoondae, not sundae.
  • Post #5 - March 29th, 2019, 8:57 am
    Post #5 - March 29th, 2019, 8:57 am Post #5 - March 29th, 2019, 8:57 am
    dudefella wrote:please: soondae or zoondae, not sundae.

Ha ha ha. I was wondering where the sundae was.
    -Mary
  • Post #6 - March 29th, 2019, 9:30 am
    Post #6 - March 29th, 2019, 9:30 am Post #6 - March 29th, 2019, 9:30 am
    Ms. Chu offers two spellings in the linked Korean Spoon review, one of which is sundae. Sundae ocures frequently in Google searches as well. Korean Spoon uses SoonDae on the menu, guess I should have used that.

Either way thanks for pointing out what's really important about the lovely delicious Korean Spoon, how one interprets Korean phonetically. Maybe we can discuss what part of Glenview the restaurant is in next, the Heights, Hills, Harbor, Hillside? How about the hours, 4-hours a day 4-days a week might not be convenient to everyone, plus they don't have diet soda or iced tea. Korean Spoon does take credit cards, blessed be the gods of Kardashian for small favors.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - March 29th, 2019, 9:42 am
    Post #7 - March 29th, 2019, 9:42 am Post #7 - March 29th, 2019, 9:42 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Ms. Chu offers two spellings in the linked Korean Spoon review, one of which is sundae. Sundae ocures frequently in Google searches as well. Korean Spoon uses SoonDae on the menu, guess I should have used that.

Either way thanks for pointing out what's really important about the lovely delicious Korean Spoon, how one interprets Korean phonetically. Maybe we can discuss what part of Glenview the restaurant is in next, the Heights, Hills, Harbor, Hillside? How about the hours, 4-hours a day 4-days a week might not be convenient to everyone, plus they don't have diet soda or iced tea. Korean Spoon does take credit cards, blessed be the gods of Kardashian for small favors.

It really is a bummer when someone takes the time to provide an information-rich post and it's met with such an unhelpful, pedantic response. This seems to be happening around here with some frequency lately and frankly, it's disappointing and tiresome.

Please remember that we are a community and that we rely on each other to share information. If our posts are met with unhelpful, non-supportive responses, substantive posts will dwindle and there will be far less useful information available here.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #8 - March 29th, 2019, 11:07 am
    Post #8 - March 29th, 2019, 11:07 am Post #8 - March 29th, 2019, 11:07 am
    And in addition, neither "soondae" nor "zoondae" have ever been standard Romanizations as far as I know--definitely never seen 'z' for 's,' and even the double-o is non-standard. Sundae is how it ought to be spelled in the most updated system, which has been around for twenty years and is what I learned in college, as well as McCune-Reischauer, which dominated before. Obviously we don't all have time to learn all the systems for all the languages, and I get that blood sausage and hot fudge sundaes are two streams that ought never to be crossed. No matter which we are discussing, though, I think we all want that 'sundae' kind of love.
  • Post #9 - March 29th, 2019, 11:45 am
    Post #9 - March 29th, 2019, 11:45 am Post #9 - March 29th, 2019, 11:45 am
    I thought the point was simply that that particular phonetic spelling suggests that there's an ice cream dessert involved. :lol:
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #10 - March 30th, 2019, 6:55 am
    Post #10 - March 30th, 2019, 6:55 am Post #10 - March 30th, 2019, 6:55 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:

It really is a bummer when someone takes the time to provide an information-rich post and it's met with such an unhelpful, pedantic response. This seems to be happening around here with some frequency lately and frankly, it's disappointing and tiresome.

Please remember that we are a community and that we rely on each other to share information. If our posts are met with unhelpful, non-supportive responses, substantive posts will dwindle and there will be far less useful information available here.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators

I’ll certainly second the above!
  • Post #11 - March 30th, 2019, 5:50 pm
    Post #11 - March 30th, 2019, 5:50 pm Post #11 - March 30th, 2019, 5:50 pm
    Korean Spoon Menu
    Fried Kimchi Pork
    Bibimbop
    Kimchi Jjigae
    Dan-Jang Jigae
    Bul Gogi
    Jjolmyun
    Dduk Man Doo Gook
    Kai Kook Soo
    Kimbop + Ramyun
    Dduk Bok Yl
    Pork Cutlet
    Lunch Combo = Kimbop + Dduk Bok Yl + Soon Dae
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #12 - May 8th, 2019, 2:23 am
    Post #12 - May 8th, 2019, 2:23 am Post #12 - May 8th, 2019, 2:23 am
    G Wiv wrote:ultra reasonable prices, soups, banchan, kimbop, raw marinated crab to go, parking, plenty of comfortable seating, even if most of their business seems to be pickup/takeaway, it was a wonderful lunch which I will be repeating soon.

Two of us ordered for three at Korean Spoon and had a terrific lunch including deliciously messy raw marinated crab, a couple of bowls of sundubu and pictured combo.

Korean Spoon, second verse same as the first.

KoreanSpoon20.jpg Raw marinated crab

KoreanSpoon22.jpg Seafood/kimchi sundubu

KoreanSpoon21.jpg Kimbop, Dduk Bok Yi, Soon Dae

KoreanSpoon27.jpg Banchan

KoreanSpoon23.jpg Korean Spoon menu, side 1

KoreanSpoon24.jpg Korean Spoon menu, side 2

KoreanSpoon25.jpg Seasoned crab, from the refrigerated case. (raw marinated crab)

KoreanSpoon26.jpg Raw marinated crab.

Korean Spoon, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #13 - August 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm
    Post #13 - August 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm Post #13 - August 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm
    Kimbab is not out of focus, that's gentle steam rising from the dukboki. Love Korean Spoon, inexpensive, delicious, friendly, parking. 5 or 6th time there.

KoreanSpoonP31.jpg Korean Spoon

Korean Spoon, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #14 - January 8th, 2020, 7:24 pm
    Post #14 - January 8th, 2020, 7:24 pm Post #14 - January 8th, 2020, 7:24 pm
    Had a delightful lunch here — excellent yukgaejang that’s perfect for this weather. Very good panchan, too. Thanks for bringing this place to our attention!

(And Jeon Joo’s goat stew is still kicking ass, btw.)
  • Post #15 - November 8th, 2021, 8:08 am
    Post #15 - November 8th, 2021, 8:08 am Post #15 - November 8th, 2021, 8:08 am
    More praise from Luisa Chu
    Korean Spoon, where a food critic would eat every day if she could

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/r ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #16 - January 22nd, 2023, 1:34 pm
    Post #16 - January 22nd, 2023, 1:34 pm Post #16 - January 22nd, 2023, 1:34 pm
    budrichard wrote:The referenced Trib article is an excellent piece of journalism!

I wish I could access it on the website without subscribing. Alas, the Trib has changed in the past few years. Nevertheless, the reviews on LTH are mostly excellent as well!
    It’s more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use
    long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like
    “What about lunch?”
    —Winnie The Pooh
    "... a good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
    Virginia Woolf : A Room of One's Own
  • Post #17 - February 10th, 2023, 9:01 am
    Post #17 - February 10th, 2023, 9:01 am Post #17 - February 10th, 2023, 9:01 am
    The Small Household Food Exchange visited Korean Spoon in Glenview Tuesday afternoon. Their hours are quirky — only open for lunch four days a week for dine in, although carryout hours are all days except Monday, late mornings ’til early evening. We were the only dine-ins, but there was a steady stream of takeout customers while we were there. It helped that we had a Korean speaker with us.
    C2 loved her order of Myeolchi Bokkeum (dried Anchovy) with walnuts 멸치볶음

Bi Bim Bop 밥이 되어라

Bulgogi 불고기

Kal Kook Soo 칼국수 (noodle soup)

Panchan 판찬

dduk bok yi (Rice Sticks) stir-fried rice cakes in spicy sauce 죄송합니다

Kimbop 김밥 (sort of Korean sushi) with miyeok-guk (seaweed soup) 미역위 (complementary)

Menu had a few items not common on some of the other Korean restaurants around. Everything was tasty — we were still feeling it after we got home.
  • Post #18 - February 10th, 2023, 9:28 am
    Post #18 - February 10th, 2023, 9:28 am Post #18 - February 10th, 2023, 9:28 am
    C2 loved her order of Myeolchi Bokkeum (dried Anchovy) with walnuts 멸치볶음

There was a small assortment of panchan. The Myeolchi Bokkeum was a separate purchase from their refrigerated food, which reminded me of Katy's Noodles early days.

Candied anchovies with walnuts was new for me. I was just hoping for dried fish and never expected this.

Sometime soon I will return just to check out the refrigerated section.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more