LTH Home

Ghin Khao Eat Rice - Authentic Northern Thai in West Pilsen

Ghin Khao Eat Rice - Authentic Northern Thai in West Pilsen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Ghin Khao Eat Rice - Authentic Northern Thai in West Pilsen

Post #1 - April 30th, 2019, 4:20 pm
    Post #1 - April 30th, 2019, 4:20 pm Post #1 - April 30th, 2019, 4:20 pm
    Had a great meal at Ghin Khao Eat Rice, a northern-Thai restaurant, a few days ago. I chanced upon the restaurant while perusing Grubhub and was surprised to find a Thai Restaurant in my neck of the woods. I followed up by reading some reviews and decided I had to try it.

The place is on Cermak just west of Damen and it looked like it was manned by a team of just a couple of people. I spoke to Nova who was managing the front of the house and he said he wanted to open an authentic Thai restaurant in a neighborhood where there were no others. The menu does not feature the usual Pad Thai and Pad See Ew but instead had the ultra-flavorful dishes from Northern Thailand. Nova said that his specials board always featured a noodle dish (the only noodle dish served at the restaurant).

A few other tables were occupied while I was there and I noticed that the pork shoulder or the pork belly dish was on every table. Didn't get a chance to try it though.

We ordered three dishes from the specials board:

The Nam Khao Tod was a scrumptious mix of crunch, funk and spice, with fermented pork, crispy rice, fried pork skin, ground chicken and herbs.
    The Sai Oua was a flavor bomb and felt mystifyingly fluffy and light.
    The red curry was a good rendition, though a tad bit too sweet.
    Can't wait to go back and try everything they have to offer. Nova was of the opinion that the Northern Thai Salads were a must-try.

Ghin Khao Eat Rice
    2128 W Cermak Rd,
    Chicago, IL 60608
  • Post #2 - April 30th, 2019, 6:44 pm
    Post #2 - April 30th, 2019, 6:44 pm Post #2 - April 30th, 2019, 6:44 pm
    Thanks for this...we might stop in sometime rather than GrubHub, but we have enjoyed the delivery. The jaew sauce makes anything taste good.
  • Post #3 - May 2nd, 2019, 9:37 pm
    Post #3 - May 2nd, 2019, 9:37 pm Post #3 - May 2nd, 2019, 9:37 pm
    mtgl wrote:Thanks for this...we might stop in sometime rather than GrubHub, but we have enjoyed the delivery. The jaew sauce makes anything taste good.

I'm remiss in not posting much earlier in the year my infatuation with the Grandma's Pork Belly. This and a Thai salad between two diners (or two meals to go) hits just about every flavor and texture desirable. Special funky (decor) little spot worth detouring from Chinatown or Birrieria Reyes when the craving strikes. Their fried spring / egg rolls are also notably good - reminiscent of Spicy Thai Lao.

• Post #4 - May 3rd, 2019, 5:40 pm
    Post #4 - May 3rd, 2019, 5:40 pm Post #4 - May 3rd, 2019, 5:40 pm
    Just had a great lunch there today.....closer to Western Ave. than I'd
    1st thought it might be, with loads of "not-free :( -LAZ-Screw-You-Richie-J.Daley :P -" Street Parking available.

I had to compare the Nam Khao Tod to my version I've been making for years- and gotta say- his Sister's version is phenomenal-
    better than mine- if I must say so......
    (when I asked if he makes his "Nam" in-house or buys it....he admitted he buys it- from a Thai Lady- who I believe he suggested also supplies the Thai Grocery Store PLA in Lincoln Square.
    ImageMy favorite Thai Salad- Nam Khao Tod.......yummmm! by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Granted- the Prik-Nam-Pla I requested, added some additional heat to the already tasty salad.....but- :) that's the way I like it!
    ImagePrik-Nam-Pla. by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Had a very nice chat with Novi Sasi the owner, who'd shared with me
    that he was quite surprised when Steve Dolinsky showed up to feature his restaurant on The Hungry Hound TV segment- and was quite impressed w/Steve's knowledge of Thai cuisine.
    When I asked him if he knew of Dolinksy's Food oriented Podcast with Rick Bayless- he said he didn't- but always wanted to meet a Chef he's a huge fan of- so if anyone can send Rick Bayless into "EAT RICE"- Novi will be ecstatic!

ImageNOVO SASI- owner of Chiang MAI Style THAI restaurant in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood by R. Kramer, on Flickr

After a nine-month run, Novi's happy with the progress he's established.
    Go there- and share the love of all things THAI- with a very kind and humble Restauranteur.
  • Post #5 - August 21st, 2019, 8:46 pm
    Post #5 - August 21st, 2019, 8:46 pm Post #5 - August 21st, 2019, 8:46 pm
    Novi featured an excellent yellow curry with crispy noodles. Also ordered the pork belly and the empanada as an appetizer. Can't wait to return
  • Post #6 - September 19th, 2019, 7:31 pm
    Post #6 - September 19th, 2019, 7:31 pm Post #6 - September 19th, 2019, 7:31 pm
    If you've driven up to park-in front of a Restaurant- any Restaurant- on a Thursday night (6:30-ish) and see the scissor-gate pulled shut/& locked w/a small-handwritten-note on the door-
    after sighing- "Oh-No"...most folks'd just shrug-
    and drive on to "Plan B".
    Instead- I pulled a U-ey, and got out to see what was on said note......and
    lordey-be, the Owner, unlocked the scissor-gate, mumbled something- and indicated- he was now open.
    OK........so we enter- and I seat ourselves- and ask about specials-and then ask the young fellow at The Register (Square-device-actually)- if they are serving Nam Khao Tod.
    He acts like I'm speaking Portuguese?
    I then say "Crispy Rice Salad."?
    He asks the owner (Nomi) who says- No.
    No explanation.
    Just No.
    So- I pack up my BYOB's- and say we're going-
    and "Novi"- the previously pleasant chap (who's also the owner) -
    hides behind the curtain- and when I inquire,
    if its because his Sister's not working tonight-
    he very gruffly informs me- not only is his Sister-
    out of town,
    on Vacation
    - but- "I don't have the ingredients to make it".
    Really?
    Really?
    It's on your printed menu.......and if you don't stock "Ginger"- or
    keep the funky Nam in
    your freezer- then, are you really a Restauranteur ?
    Or- is it something you decided to do- and
    are no longer into?
    I ask- because - that's the "vibe" this Business Owner transmitted to two - the only two- Customers in his place of Business.
    We left.
    Not sure- if I'll return.
    Why?
    Consistency- is KING in the Hospitality Industry.
    One of the reasons LEYE- is so successful....and has been for over 30 years.
    End-of-rant.
  • Post #7 - September 20th, 2019, 8:06 am
    Post #7 - September 20th, 2019, 8:06 am Post #7 - September 20th, 2019, 8:06 am
    Incidentally (ironically?), they earned a Bib Gourmand designation on Thursday...
  • Post #8 - November 12th, 2019, 12:09 pm
    Post #8 - November 12th, 2019, 12:09 pm Post #8 - November 12th, 2019, 12:09 pm
    Was with a group of 6 last night, we ordered the following:

Tod Man Pla - homemade fish cakes served with sweet chili, cucumber, cilantro and ground peanuts

Grandma's Pork Belly - Marinated pork belly, thinly breaded and cooked until golden brown. Served with homemade Jaew sauce.

Grilled Pork Shoulder - Marinated pork shoulder grilled and served with homemade Jaew sauce.

Nam Tok w/beef - Shallots, scallions, cilantro, mint, toasted chilies, toasted rice powder, lime and fish sauce.

Larb Gai - Ground chicken, lime, fish sauce, herbs, toasted chilies and toasted rice powder.

Krapow Gai - Ground chicken, Thai chilies, garlic, green beans, and Thai Basil

Nam Khao Tod - talked about upstream - fermented pork, crispy rice, fried pork skin, ground chicken and herbs.

Our group found the pork belly to be far superior to the pork shoulder, pork belly was the way to go.

The hits of the evening were Tod Man Pla, Nam Khao Tod, Pork Belly, Krapow Gai.

Easy parking and access on a chilly, snowy weekday night.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #9 - November 12th, 2019, 3:52 pm
    Post #9 - November 12th, 2019, 3:52 pm Post #9 - November 12th, 2019, 3:52 pm
    Sunday seems an odd day to have off. We were in the area and tried to go but alas ‘twas not to be.
  • Post #10 - February 5th, 2020, 12:58 pm
    Post #10 - February 5th, 2020, 12:58 pm Post #10 - February 5th, 2020, 12:58 pm
    Ghin Khao continues to be sensational for me; I had the best Nam Tok I can remember this week, succulent and herbal and toasty in a fully satisfying way.

This is admittedly an odd, dark, cold room - wish they'd brighten things up and then the beautiful plates would be appearing in everyone's feed, but since they seem to have a takeout focus and I'm all for any business avenue that keeps cooking this good going.
  • Post #11 - November 21st, 2021, 10:02 am
    Post #11 - November 21st, 2021, 10:02 am Post #11 - November 21st, 2021, 10:02 am
    I live in the neighborhood and went there around when it opened, but could not eat anything as everything was authentic, which means not vegetarian friendly.

Was there was lunch yesterday with a friend, and this is a vastly different place for vegetarians now. Maybe because of the young people moving in who are vegetarians/vegans; about a third of the menu is now vegan/vegetarian friendly.

We had the Drunken Noodles and the Mixed vegetables (with Fried Tofu on the side) and it was really good. Completely different from the usual green curry/red curry/ yellow curry/panang curry/ massaman curry/pad thai thing that is typical.

The mixed vegetables was cooked on a hot wok, so it had that wonderful Wok Hai taste/flavor and the gravy was spicy and not overwhelming. Drunken Noodles was okay; but not as special as the vegetables dish.

A similar thing happened at 5 Rabanitos in the neighborhood. When it opened; I went there and there was literally nothing I could eat. Now they have a separate Vegetarian menu. Compared to how it was when I came to this country in the early 90s; where I could not eat out basically (except for the Indian/Chinese places); it seems so much more vegetarian friendly now.
  • Post #12 - November 23rd, 2021, 3:11 pm
    Post #12 - November 23rd, 2021, 3:11 pm Post #12 - November 23rd, 2021, 3:11 pm
    I cannot speak to this place, but I can speak to eating a lot of Thai food with a wife who does not eat meat (she does eat seafood). Now, credit actually goes to a meat-eating daughter, but she discovered tofu laab at Real Thai. It's a dish we now order often. This is a dish, I am sure, you do not have to be a vegetarian to enjoy. They crisp up the tofu and it really works well against the traditional laab ingredients--lime, rice powder, herbs, chili
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more