LTH Home

Big Boss Spicy Fried Chicken

Big Boss Spicy Fried Chicken
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Big Boss Spicy Fried Chicken

Post #1 - July 7th, 2019, 7:01 pm
    Post #1 - July 7th, 2019, 7:01 pm Post #1 - July 7th, 2019, 7:01 pm
    Big Boss Chicken Outside.jpg

On a recent visit to Funkenhausen, I audibly groaned when I discovered they'd replaced their glorious oysters hockafeller with Nashville hot oysters. The overplayed Nashville hot thing has, frankly, grown tiresome. It's an easy crutch - fry something and douse it in a good spicy brine/paste/sauce and it's going to be good. That said, I'm not going to reject something delicious just because a general concept has been taken too far and I knew after reading this article in the Reader, that Big Boss Spicy Fried Chicken was worth a visit.

Big Boss Chicken whole sandwich.jpg

Big Boss Spicy Chicken is a reminder of the potential greatness of something as simple as spicy fried chicken. By creating an All-American blend that draws from China, Belize and Nashville, these guys have created an absolute stunner of a fried chicken sandwich. I had it this afternoon and if someone invited me to go back there tomorrow, I'd say yes without hesitation.

Big Boss Chicken cut in half.jpg

I'd already eaten lunch when I stopped in, so I limited myself to half a sandwich. This is a large, juicy chicken thigh, perfectly fried, slathered in hot sauce and topped with a spicy powder, chopped cole slaw, and sliced jalepenos. There are five spice levels available, ranging from a sauceless "mild spicy" to Big boss hot. I opted for the middle, which is Hot and described as burning hot. It was lip-tingling delicious, but not so spicy that I couldn't enjoy all the flavors in the sandwich or the nuances in the spice blend. I'm curious to try the X hot, but I suspect this middle ground is where I'll ultimately find my Big Boss happy place.

In addition to the sandwich, they also sell quarter and half chickens, tenders, and wings as well as few other items. Looking forward to trying more of the menu soon.

Between the quality of the food, the relaxed and friendly vibe, and the back story evident in Sula's piece, this place definitely has GNR potential.

Big Boss Spice Fried Chicken
    2520 S. Halsted
    312-877-5031
    www.bigbosschicken.com
  • Post #2 - July 8th, 2019, 8:35 am
    Post #2 - July 8th, 2019, 8:35 am Post #2 - July 8th, 2019, 8:35 am
    Thanks for the report and reminder. I drove by this place about two weeks ago after taking the kids to the dentist and would have pulled over just based on the name and, well, "presence," but, unfortunately, the 5- and 3-year-old were focused on getting spaghetti from Gio's in the neighborhood. Will make a mental reminder, as this is near my stomping grounds.
  • Post #3 - July 15th, 2019, 10:22 am
    Post #3 - July 15th, 2019, 10:22 am Post #3 - July 15th, 2019, 10:22 am
    Pro tip: get the wings. The sandwich just turns the whole thing into a soft and wet mess; the wings have all that crisply, crackly, craggly goodness, and the spice comes through just the same.
  • Post #4 - July 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
    Post #4 - July 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm Post #4 - July 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
    I had seen this place on my forays to get Chinese food in Bridgeport but had blithely dismissed it. Took a long lunch and stopped in for a sandwich. Very good overall, with a nice crunch and a saucy, spicy exterior. I don't really get why they fused two pieces of chicken into a very long patty that doesn't fit in the bun at all. Also the slaw on top is pretty uneventful.

I might try the straight up wings next time since I am not sure shoving the chicken into a sandwich really improved things.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more