LTH Home

Thai Inbox - Wilmette and Glenview

Thai Inbox - Wilmette and Glenview
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Thai Inbox - Wilmette and Glenview

Post #1 - July 11th, 2019, 6:44 pm
    Post #1 - July 11th, 2019, 6:44 pm Post #1 - July 11th, 2019, 6:44 pm
    Tonight we had dinner at the Wilmette location of Thai Inbox, which had been recommended on this site by bweiny. It was very good!

Thai Inbox is located in a strip mall on the east side of Skokie Blvd.
    The restaurant dining room is pleasant. Seating is ample (six four-tops and six banquette two-tops).
    And there's a kitschy sign on the wall.
    While we were there, three tables (including ours) were occupied, and 8-9 carryout customers picked up food. Service was friendly and helpful.

When ordering, we did not specify a spice level for any dishes, and were not asked to do so. This worked out fine for us, as noted below.

Although it's not indicated on their website, they do have a limited selection of beer and wine. We started with a nicely strong thai iced tea and a Chang beer.
    Next was larb chicken, a cold "salad" dish ("ground chicken mixed with red onions, green onions, carrot, mints, rice powder, hot pepper and lime juice, topped with cilantro"). It was very good, with a very pleasant amount of hot/spice to it (if 1 is totally mild and 10 is extreme heat, I'd call it a 4).
    We also had shrimp shu mai ("steamed shrimp dumpling topped with fried garlic and served with sweet soy sauce"). These were good too, albeit slightly gummy.
    Next was a large tom kha gai ("fresh chicken breast in our special hot and sour coconut milk soup with mushroom, lemongrass, Kaffir lime leaves, and lime juice, topped with cilantro"). This was excellent, with plenty of sliced chicken in it, and just a bit of hot/spice (3).
    Then we had chicken panang curry ("rich Panang curry paste and peanut butter stewed in creamy coconut milk, basil leaf, and bell pepper"). This was outstanding, and quite spicy (7).
    We were very happy with our dinner at Thai Inbox, and look forward to returning to try more items! Thanks to bweiny for the rec!

Thai Inbox
    143 Skokie Blvd.
    Wilmette IL 60091
    847-853-9898

I assume the Glenview location of the same name has the same ownership. Here's their info:

Thai Inbox Glenview
    1417 Waukegan Rd.
    Glenview, IL 60025
    (847) 904 -2755
  • Post #2 - July 11th, 2019, 8:01 pm
    Post #2 - July 11th, 2019, 8:01 pm Post #2 - July 11th, 2019, 8:01 pm
    Very happy to hear Thai Inbox came through for you! Based on the dishes you said were your favorite when reporting on a different place (not the most exotic items, ones that are available most places and are conducive to comparison), I knew TI and their straightforward execution was a very good local N Evanston/Wilmette option.

For those contemplating, a few of my favorite dishes:
    Tod Mun (fish cake appetizer)
    Tom Yum Noodle Soup
    Inbox Kee Mao (thin noodles instead of typical chow fun/thick)
    Basil Leaves Entree (I usually have pork as the protein)
    Pad Prik King Tilapia
    - Their Won Ton Soup is an excellent winter option that I often pick up for my mom too.

Thanks for starting the thread!
  • Post #3 - July 14th, 2019, 4:06 pm
    Post #3 - July 14th, 2019, 4:06 pm Post #3 - July 14th, 2019, 4:06 pm
    We've never actually made it to the restaurant (either location) in person, but it (Wilmette outlet, I guess) has been in our rotation for years. Friday in movie night/date night and if there has been one absolute constant, it's been Thai Inbox. Are they the best Thai food I've ever had? No. Are they consistent, a cut above, and dependable? Absolutely.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more