LTH Home

Hermosa, Hot Dog Stand W/ Asian Influence

Hermosa, Hot Dog Stand W/ Asian Influence
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Hermosa, Hot Dog Stand W/ Asian Influence

Post #1 - November 6th, 2019, 4:22 am
    Post #1 - November 6th, 2019, 4:22 am Post #1 - November 6th, 2019, 4:22 am
    Fuck waiting in line and getting stabbed at Popeye's, Cambodian Fried Chicken sandwich from Hermosa hit my 2019 highlight reel two bites in. Hat tip to Dennis Lee for posting on Instagram and compliments to Chef/Owner Ethan Lim for his sense of culinary style. Had a gratis taste of Moo Ping sandwich, dusting of toasted ground rice powder pure genius.

Small spotless space in a slightly out of the way location with the feel of a classic hot dog stand run through the prism of Asia. There are a number of items I'm looking forward to trying. Also hot dogs, soup, chili, salads, shakes, ice cream and burgers. Including 2-dogs, fries and a soda for $7.95 special.

Hermosa Restaurant, count me a Fan!

HermosaRestaurantP1.jpg Cambodian Fried Chicken Sandwich

HermosaRestaurantP4.jpg Moo Ping Sandwich (tasting size)

HermosaRestaurantP2.jpg Interior facing North

HermosaRestaurantP6.jpg Menu

HermosaRestaurantP7.jpg Menu

HermosaRestaurantP5.jpg Exterior (entrance on Kostner)

Hermosa Restaurant
    4356 W Armitage Ave
    Chicago, IL 60639
    872-802-4920
    https://www.hermosarestaurant.com/
    Opens 11am, closed Sunday & Monday
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - November 6th, 2019, 8:11 am
    Post #2 - November 6th, 2019, 8:11 am Post #2 - November 6th, 2019, 8:11 am
    When I was working a short term contract in the area I attempted to visit a couple of times but they were not open during posted hours. :(

I did finally manage a visit when they were open and asking about the erratic hours he mentioned something about catering orders keeping him busy.

Mostly about keeping the school kids fed there were a few, but messy, gems on the menu...

41980612-0AC2-40A7-9489-DB238811C5A8.jpeg

Both picture about the same...

7F6B04E5-C506-45FE-96DF-626524D3939C.jpeg

A wonderful combination of flavors combining the tender meat, crunchy vegetables and savory sauces.

Googoo's Table
    4356 W Armitage Ave, Chicago

... on the corner is owned by the same family and does a good job at your traditional Chinese with a few unique items...

346D9A44-E0B5-485A-AF41-935FA495069E.jpeg Cambodian Chicken Curry Soup

Not a bad corner to grab a bite.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #3 - November 6th, 2019, 8:38 am
    Post #3 - November 6th, 2019, 8:38 am Post #3 - November 6th, 2019, 8:38 am
    Nice short piece by Louisa Chu: https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #4 - November 6th, 2019, 8:41 am
    Post #4 - November 6th, 2019, 8:41 am Post #4 - November 6th, 2019, 8:41 am
    We got a Popeye's Chicken sandwich Monday night with a short wait. It was very mediocre and I don't get the craze. I would frankly take McD's spicy chicken sandwich any day, especially the ones in Taiwan made with real thighs. The Popeye's in Toronto had better fried chicken sandwiches and better mash and gravy.

Anyways this looks delicious. Reminds me of Big Boss down in Bridgeport. Also Googoo's has a legit looking Cambodian beef noodle soup.
  • Post #5 - November 6th, 2019, 9:20 am
    Post #5 - November 6th, 2019, 9:20 am Post #5 - November 6th, 2019, 9:20 am
    botd wrote: Also Googoo's has a legit looking Cambodian beef noodle soup.
    Lim's sister owns Two Lanterns Cafe in Lincolnwood, I have not been but there are a few items on the menu that piqued my interest.

Based on my one visit Hermosa is a gem, unique interesting delicious fairly priced. I was there well over an hour at lunchtime with only a few other customers. It would be a serious shame/waste of talent, if the majority of sales were of the hot dog special variety to school kids.

Two Lanterns Cafe
    3900 W Touhy Ave
    Lincolnwood, IL 60712
    847-410-7829
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - November 9th, 2019, 8:32 pm
    Post #6 - November 9th, 2019, 8:32 pm Post #6 - November 9th, 2019, 8:32 pm
    Been there twice now for lunch when they should be open and they aren’t. Menu items look so good I’ll give it a third try but if they aren’t open, it’ll be three strikes and I’ll never try again.
  • Post #7 - November 9th, 2019, 9:40 pm
    Post #7 - November 9th, 2019, 9:40 pm Post #7 - November 9th, 2019, 9:40 pm
    Lancelac wrote:Been there twice now for lunch when they should be open and they aren’t. Menu items look so good I’ll give it a third try but if they aren’t open, it’ll be three strikes and I’ll never try again.

I’ve had the same experience and also almost gave up.

To not waste a trip a visit next door would not be a waste of time.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #8 - November 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm
    Post #8 - November 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm Post #8 - November 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm
    Hermosa lunch, I'm pretty keen on this place and the 3 guys I went with possess both practiced palates and razor sharp tongues. While there was spirited banter, Hermosa's superb sandwiches earned a solid "delightful" with Cambodian Fried Chicken and Moo Ping, with its dusting of toasted rice powder taking the lead. Ngau Nam, think french dip, close behind followed by Korean spicy pork and cheese steak. Though I'd happily eat all five again, and plan too soon. Talented chef/owner Ethan Lim gracious to a fault.

Hermosa, count me a Fan!

HermosaP1.jpg Cambodian Fried Chicken

HermosaP2.jpg Moo Ping

HermosaP3.jpg Ngau Nam

HeremosaP5.jpg Korean spicy pork

HermosaP4.jpg Cheese Steak
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - November 15th, 2019, 6:06 am
    Post #9 - November 15th, 2019, 6:06 am Post #9 - November 15th, 2019, 6:06 am
    this place looks real good, wish it wasn't so far from home/office
  • Post #10 - November 15th, 2019, 8:15 am
    Post #10 - November 15th, 2019, 8:15 am Post #10 - November 15th, 2019, 8:15 am
    Curious about the bread.

Hoping it's not like Zenwich– interesting/well made (Asian spin) fillings on Sysco bread.

Still excited to try this place.
  • Post #11 - November 15th, 2019, 8:41 am
    Post #11 - November 15th, 2019, 8:41 am Post #11 - November 15th, 2019, 8:41 am
    Jefe wrote:Curious about the bread.
    Bread is from Highland Baking Company, I asked. Highland is an excellent local commercial bakery with a Huge array of products available. Super responsive to customers with reps who think nothing of bringing chefs multiple samples multiple days until satisfied. I have personal experience with Highland, used them at Barn & Company, had a great relationship with my rep to the extent she called a few weeks ago and asked if I would like a couple of challah for Rosh Hashanah even though I've not bought from them recently.

Highland also ponies up a dozen dozen dinner rolls for our yearly Christmas event at the Salvation Army, which is coming up on 12.20.19. I will be asking soon for volunteers. (please don't litter this thread with "count me in")

Eric, having had the pleasure of your company at the dining table on more than one occasion I can say without hesitation Hermosa is your kind of food and Ethan your kind of guy/chef/person. I'd be happy to join you there anytime.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #12 - November 15th, 2019, 11:02 am
    Post #12 - November 15th, 2019, 11:02 am Post #12 - November 15th, 2019, 11:02 am
    G Wiv wrote:Eric, having had the pleasure of your company at the dining table on more than one occasion I can say without hesitation Hermosa is your kind of food and Ethan your kind of guy/chef/person. I'd be happy to join you there anytime.

Sold!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more