LTH Home

Hermosa, Hot Dog Stand W/ Asian Influence

Hermosa, Hot Dog Stand W/ Asian Influence
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - February 20th, 2020, 4:47 pm
    Post #31 - February 20th, 2020, 4:47 pm Post #31 - February 20th, 2020, 4:47 pm
    Last edited by Hermosa on February 20th, 2020, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #32 - February 20th, 2020, 4:48 pm
    Post #32 - February 20th, 2020, 4:48 pm Post #32 - February 20th, 2020, 4:48 pm
    I went once, it is quite far from me but this thread was a great impetus, and I agree with the last few posters. Good sandwiches (I had the cambodian fried chicken and the mooping) but very slow service and the sandwiches are a bit small. Overall I am glad I tried them and I appreciate someone innovating sandwiches like this, but I don't see myself returning.
  • Post #33 - February 20th, 2020, 5:48 pm
    Post #33 - February 20th, 2020, 5:48 pm Post #33 - February 20th, 2020, 5:48 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Hombre de Acero wrote:There are- lot's of Food (fast, slow,Fine etc) options to spend one's hard earned sheckles on in Chicagoland- and if- the consumer- has to "play-a-game"- to get said food item- there's something wrong with that picture.

While I agree in principle with Mr. Acero I view Ethan as artist and Hermosa as his studio or, as the #fancylads might say, atelier. Now right off the bat let me say I fully realize I'm biased, I like Ethan, have been out to dinner with my bride, Ethan, his partner and a few others, find him quiet, thoughtful and even a bit shy, pretty much my polar opposite. :)

While some people think in terms of color, some numbers and other variations Ethan thinks in terms of sandwiches or, how can I sandwich that. Focused obsession coupled with talent is something I greatly admire.

Thus in my outings to Hermosa I've been willing, happily willing I might add, to give the enterprise more rhythm than I might a cookie cutter hot dog/burger joint.

Once again, I agree with Mr. Acero in principle, I just view Hermosa from a different perspective.

YMMV

Hermosa, Chef/Owner Ethan, count me a fan!

So basically you have a friend that's a really good cook, who occasionally sells his food to us? And I apologize, that came across as snotty; and not a faux internet apology. I sincerely mean that.

That said, I am frustrated with that restaurant...and perhaps I am the illogical one. On the one hand, I can rationalize that he hasn't done any to me personally. I suppose if I can't go to the restaurant on his schedule...that's my problem and no one is forcing me to go or patronize his business. His livelihood, his choice.

On the other hand, it is frustrating (or maybe just FOMO?) that so many people talk up this guy's talents: you, Mike Sula, Eater Chicago, etc.; but I can't get it. As noted, I've been multiple times during posted hours and it's closed. I got lucky once and showed up shortly after opening, and the Cambodian fried chicken was sold out. I've now tried calling ahead multiple times (fool me four times???); and no one ever picks up the phone.

And again, I know this is a me-problem. If that's how he wants to operate his business, that's 100% his choice. Maybe I'll get lucky one day and try it, but I'm not going out of my way for it anymore.
  • Post #34 - February 20th, 2020, 6:15 pm
    Post #34 - February 20th, 2020, 6:15 pm Post #34 - February 20th, 2020, 6:15 pm
    Hello LTH Friends,
    This is Ethan from Hermosa. I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their feedbacks, both positive and opportunities for improvement.

When Hermosa first opened, it was intended as a reprieve from the hyper tech world we live in with a Cheers atmosphere, where everyone knows your name. It is a place to slow down, kick off your shoes, and leave the outside world at the door. That’s been my formula since I opened 5 years ago and my core guests appreciate it.

I do understand that the process requires an evolution and improvement. First with the opening time. It is and will be 11:30am. Prior commitments that delayed punctual time has ended and my focus is at the restaurant. Our piece de resistance, the Cambodian Fried Chicken and Moo Ping, will always be available.

One of my motto is to ‘Cook Up and Serve Feel Good Food and Treats.’ I acknowledge that has fell short. Please direct any feedbacks to ethanlim81@gmail.com. Or FB friend me. I welcome open dialogue, or better yet, share a beverage with ya’all.

Best,

Ethan Lim,
    Hermosa
  • Post #35 - February 20th, 2020, 7:10 pm
    Post #35 - February 20th, 2020, 7:10 pm Post #35 - February 20th, 2020, 7:10 pm
    Hermosa wrote:Hello LTH Friends,
    This is Ethan from Hermosa. I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their feedbacks, both positive and opportunities for improvement.

When Hermosa first opened, it was intended as a reprieve from the hyper tech world we live in with a Cheers atmosphere, where everyone knows your name. It is a place to slow down, kick off your shoes, and leave the outside world at the door. That’s been my formula since I opened 5 years ago and my core guests appreciate it.

I do understand that the process requires an evolution and improvement. First with the opening time. It is and will be 11:30am. Prior commitments that delayed punctual time has ended and my focus is at the restaurant. Our piece de resistance, the Cambodian Fried Chicken and Moo Ping, will always be available.

One of my motto is to ‘Cook Up and Serve Feel Good Food and Treats.’ I acknowledge that has fell short. Please direct any feedbacks to ethanlim81@gmail.com. Or FB friend me. I welcome open dialogue, or better yet, share a beverage with ya’all.

Best,

Ethan Lim,
    Hermosa

Thanks! Looking forward to giving both a try as soon as I can make it in.
  • Post #36 - February 20th, 2020, 7:19 pm
    Post #36 - February 20th, 2020, 7:19 pm Post #36 - February 20th, 2020, 7:19 pm
    From the very beginning, LTH made its bones falling in love with quirky, unconventional, hard-to-pin-down places exactly like Hermosa. In that sense, it's as 'old-skool' as they come. I love it -- and Ethan -- for it. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #37 - April 11th, 2020, 7:31 pm
    Post #37 - April 11th, 2020, 7:31 pm Post #37 - April 11th, 2020, 7:31 pm
    Thoroughly enjoyed carryout from Hermosa for lunch today. The Korean spicy pork sandwich (banh mi style), double cheeseburger, and fries all reheated well. We also had a Cobb salad, which was a refreshing splash of green amidst all the comfort foods we've been eating during the COVID-19 shutdown
  • Post #38 - May 22nd, 2020, 5:45 pm
    Post #38 - May 22nd, 2020, 5:45 pm Post #38 - May 22nd, 2020, 5:45 pm
    Hermosa is rolling out a Cambodian Meal Set and the bride and I were fortunate enough to be crash-test-dummies for chef/owner Ethan's friends and family. Four entrees beautifully packaged with sauces, sides, relishes, condiments, accents.

Tip-top quality, delicious window to Cambodia, amazing attention to detail. Clear concise instructions, not complicated, assemble according to instructions. Social distancing has never been so tasty. #countmeafan

HermosaP88.jpg Mee Kula

HermosaP1414.jpg Grilled Shrimp Salad

HermosaP1515.jpg Cambodian Steak Frites

HermosaP33.jpg Congee

HermosaP1.jpg Menu

HermosaP2.jpg Ellen, Ethan

Hermosa Meal Set, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #39 - May 24th, 2020, 8:52 am
    Post #39 - May 24th, 2020, 8:52 am Post #39 - May 24th, 2020, 8:52 am
    I finally got a chicken sandwich yesterday after many failed attempts. I generally order directly from the restaurant to avoid fees (on either side) but gave up here and used Grubhub, ordering in the morning and getting a 1pm slot. Confirmed quickly after opening, they even reached out with a text to ask about spice levels. Pickup was easy and organized. Loved the sandwich, which is a dry version with a dark spicy crust and a wonderful papaya and minced green bean (or maybe long bean?) slaw. I asked for medium and I would say it was that with a few raw chilies that picked up the spices in the crust.

Here is a screen shot of the Cambodian menu. They indicated they need a day's warning for now. I'd be curious.
    IMG_2770.jpg
  • Post #40 - May 26th, 2020, 5:28 pm
    Post #40 - May 26th, 2020, 5:28 pm Post #40 - May 26th, 2020, 5:28 pm
    Mike Sula wrote a profile of Ethan, Hermosa and Khmer food's past in the area today in the Reader.
  • Post #41 - June 28th, 2020, 8:59 pm
    Post #41 - June 28th, 2020, 8:59 pm Post #41 - June 28th, 2020, 8:59 pm
    We were honored to be the inaugural "tourists" for the Tour of Cambodia, a nine course tasting menu to go (a 7-course option is also available). Per the introduction on the emailed menu and serving instructions, "I look forward to transporting you and your guests on a trip to a place when traveling at this moment is limited." We were indeed transported, and delighted! I highly recommend this menu!
  • Post #42 - August 3rd, 2020, 10:13 am
    Post #42 - August 3rd, 2020, 10:13 am Post #42 - August 3rd, 2020, 10:13 am
    Curious about this but can't find any information on it. Where did you find out and how to order? Thanks!

Smassey wrote:We were honored to be the inaugural "tourists" for the Tour of Cambodia, a nine course tasting menu to go (a 7-course option is also available). Per the introduction on the emailed menu and serving instructions, "I look forward to transporting you and your guests on a trip to a place when traveling at this moment is limited." We were indeed transported, and delighted! I highly recommend this menu!
  • Post #43 - August 3rd, 2020, 9:19 pm
    Post #43 - August 3rd, 2020, 9:19 pm Post #43 - August 3rd, 2020, 9:19 pm
    For info and to order, email Ethan Eang Lim at hermosachicago1@gmail.com. If you are on Instagram, you might also want to follow Hermosachicago
    CjenChicago wrote:Curious about this but can't find any information on it. Where did you find out and how to order? Thanks!

Smassey wrote:We were honored to be the inaugural "tourists" for the Tour of Cambodia, a nine course tasting menu to go (a 7-course option is also available). Per the introduction on the emailed menu and serving instructions, "I look forward to transporting you and your guests on a trip to a place when traveling at this moment is limited." We were indeed transported, and delighted! I highly recommend this menu!
  • Post #44 - February 21st, 2021, 12:55 pm
    Post #44 - February 21st, 2021, 12:55 pm Post #44 - February 21st, 2021, 12:55 pm
    We picked up dinner from Hermosa last night. You can now place an order online (or text in an order if more than 3 items). We ordered in the am for late afternoon pick-up and it worked out great.
    We ordered:
    Cambodian fried chicken: everything everyone has said above is true. Awesome sandwich (held up well in a 25 minute car ride).
    Korean pork sandwich: loved this though definitely would give a nod to the chicken.
    Green curry eggplant: nice flavor with Thai eggplants
    Cambodian steak frites (from the 'Cambodia to go' menu--requires 24 hour advance notice): My favorite dish of the night--the green chili dip put it over the top.
    Prawn and pomelo (also from the Cambodia to go menu). Excellent flavors. The shrimp texture suffered a bit, likely from the travel (and we waited a bit to eat this).
    We also ordered the chicken congee but haven't tried it yet (we were so full from everything else).
    We will definitely be picking up from here again. The food is delicious and Ethan is so friendly and welcoming. I'd like to work my way through the rest of the Cambodia to go menu.
  • Post #45 - February 21st, 2021, 11:40 pm
    Post #45 - February 21st, 2021, 11:40 pm Post #45 - February 21st, 2021, 11:40 pm
    I was definitely impressed with the congee from an order a few weeks ago (and I almost didn't order it since I'm not always a congee fan). Holds up well as leftovers, too. I'd definitely recommend you to add a nom tok for your next order. It was jam-packed with flavor. I might have liked it even better than the curry (which was also really good).

That was a through-line in everything I tasted - flavor. Some things held up better than others for takeout, but every bite really popped with heat, acid, and herbs. I appreciated that everything was packaged very thoughtfully (there are a lot of garnishes and some needed to be crispy and Ethan took care of all of that).

I ordered off of the regular menu, but I also look forward to returning and trying most of the items on the Cambodia-to-go menu as well.
  • Post #46 - March 28th, 2021, 3:41 pm
    Post #46 - March 28th, 2021, 3:41 pm Post #46 - March 28th, 2021, 3:41 pm
    Having kinda forgotten about Passover (yikes), we had a little vaccine-bubble feast of Hermosa faves last night. No pics, because it was a lot of food to prep and plate but most of the dishes were similar or the same as those others have written about earlier.

It was also one of my favorite meals in a very, very long time.

We all loved everything—even my notoriously unadventurous hubs who ate ground pork with sardine dip and loves every bite (mostly cuz someone might’ve told him it was Asian bolognese :p).

My faves were a braised pork belly stew (not even a tiny bit sweet—and the most glorious use of dried shiitakes ever), the aforementioned pork belly and sardine dip, Cambodian roasted chicken, the black pepper beef sandwich and mushroom Nam tok. Even the fries, rewarmed 7 hours later were terrific.

Everything was perfectly packed and tastes pretty much exactly like I think it would’ve if we’d eaten at the restaurant, even though we picked it up at 12:30 and ate (most of) it at 8:00 pm. Needless to say, that’s not easy to pull off and it speaks to how thoughtful and meticulous Ethan is —not to mention being a wonderful chef.

Can’t wait to do this again!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #47 - June 12th, 2021, 10:35 am
    Post #47 - June 12th, 2021, 10:35 am Post #47 - June 12th, 2021, 10:35 am
    Have wanted to get here since Stevez and I planned it but it was not to be. Yesterday Gwiv made it happen, and for that I thank you Gary. We had 4 dishes, 2 of which I'd put into my "stellar" category and the other two most excellent as well. Stellar goes to the crispy mackerel salad w/mint, peanuts and and crispy garlic. Bright in both flavor and texture, it was a revelation for a fish often overlooked in the American canon. And then there's the rightfully so oft-mentioned chix sandwich. Add the wonderful hospitality by a talented chef who pivoted smartly during the plague, in Gary's words "Count me a fan".
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #48 - June 13th, 2021, 9:49 am
    Post #48 - June 13th, 2021, 9:49 am Post #48 - June 13th, 2021, 9:49 am
    Ethan Eang Lim is a force of nature, quiet, self-contained, economical of spoken word and motion, 'A place for everything and everything in its place' personified. No need for self aggrandizement when on the plate says everything.

Lunch with jazzfood/Alan Lake for his birthday and Hermosa Restaurant was, to use one of Alan's favorites, Stunning. Starting with Nyrom Threy ( crispy fish bits, fried garlic, peanuts, fish mint). Spicy, sour, hint of salty sweet, crunchy textural interplay, a perfect dish and one that put me in mind of another favorite, crispy fish with herbs at In-On Thai Uptown. I could have stopped there and been happy.

Followed by the much lauded Cambodian Fried Chicken sandwich, a popping Kaw Threy Sach Chrouk (sardines, pork, pickled papaya, cilantro, jalapeno) a perfect blend of fish funk, pork and crunchy veg. Lort Cha (pin noodles, fired egg, garlic chives) to round out our perfectly paced stunner of a meal.

While Hermosa Restaurant has received social media, traditional media and points in-between attention I would respectfully suggest one of our newly minted Chicago Tribune Food & Dining food critics, Louisa Chu or Nick Kindelsperger give Hermosa a spin.

click to enlarge

Ethan Eang Lim & Hermosa Restaurant, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #49 - June 14th, 2021, 10:01 pm
    Post #49 - June 14th, 2021, 10:01 pm Post #49 - June 14th, 2021, 10:01 pm
  • Post #50 - June 15th, 2021, 2:18 am
    Post #50 - June 15th, 2021, 2:18 am Post #50 - June 15th, 2021, 2:18 am
    So you can go in and order now?
  • Post #51 - June 15th, 2021, 7:17 am
    Post #51 - June 15th, 2021, 7:17 am Post #51 - June 15th, 2021, 7:17 am
    Seemed like it was best to call ahead
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #52 - June 15th, 2021, 9:07 am
    Post #52 - June 15th, 2021, 9:07 am Post #52 - June 15th, 2021, 9:07 am
    lougord99 wrote:So you can go in and order now?

If you watch the video above, starting at about the 42 second mark it explains you need to contact ahead to dine in. I imagine you would need quite a bit of lead time for carryout orders too. From the looks of it, the best way to contact them to make a reservation is via their Instagram page.
  • Post #53 - June 15th, 2021, 11:19 am
    Post #53 - June 15th, 2021, 11:19 am Post #53 - June 15th, 2021, 11:19 am
    lougord99 wrote:So you can go in and order now?

I texted, asked if Friday noonish would be convenient. Mentioned that we would very much like the Cambodian Fried Chicken sandwich and the rest was dealers choice. Ethan kindly let us eat in the restaurant using the table for weekend Cambodian set dinners. He said he is weighing his options re lunch dine-in or remaining strictly takeout.

There were a number of preordered pick-ups while we were at Hermosa, and one cold walk-in. Its best to text, all the info is on the Hermosa web site. There are only a few items currently on the web site, additional items should be added as early as today. Ethan is also responsive to FB messages.

Preorder with a set pickup time is what I would recommend to keep from disappointment.

https://www.hermosarestaurant.com/
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #54 - June 15th, 2021, 1:46 pm
    Post #54 - June 15th, 2021, 1:46 pm Post #54 - June 15th, 2021, 1:46 pm
    As friendly as Ethan is, I bet he really misses people eating in.
  • Post #55 - June 15th, 2021, 2:36 pm
    Post #55 - June 15th, 2021, 2:36 pm Post #55 - June 15th, 2021, 2:36 pm
    lougord99 wrote:As friendly as Ethan is, I bet he really misses people eating in.

Considering how severely he limits dine-in availability... maybe not. Or at least not enough to build a business model around having lots of people in his place.
  • Post #56 - January 8th, 2023, 11:42 am
    Post #56 - January 8th, 2023, 11:42 am Post #56 - January 8th, 2023, 11:42 am
    Has anyone been to Hermosa for lunch lately? The online menu for lunch time carry out is pretty limited - Cambodian chicken meal, dumplings and some sides are the only options listed. Are there more choices if you show up in person? Also, has indoor lunch dining returned or is it carry out only?
  • Post #57 - January 8th, 2023, 2:33 pm
    Post #57 - January 8th, 2023, 2:33 pm Post #57 - January 8th, 2023, 2:33 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Has anyone been to Hermosa for lunch lately? The online menu for lunch time carry out is pretty limited - Cambodian chicken meal, dumplings and some sides are the only options listed. Are there more choices if you show up in person? Also, has indoor lunch dining returned or is it carry out only?

They post menu updates on FB & IG. Here’s the latest—lots of additional items. https://www.facebook.com/100063455952031/posts/pfbid02ZPvtnQYzQUZk3yq1a5sFBbkGenWEdfzm8VaV8ymT31EcqW4rmKNceWHy2LzkDRbyl/?mibextid=YsHG2a

Thought they were open for indoor dining at lunch but re-reading the FB post, they may not be. Ethan is very responsive on SM so I’d just ask him.
    Last edited by boudreaulicious on January 8th, 2023, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #58 - January 8th, 2023, 4:13 pm
    Post #58 - January 8th, 2023, 4:13 pm Post #58 - January 8th, 2023, 4:13 pm
    I've had many of their different dishes, and I think this place can be on the short list of best restaurants in Chicago.

The fried chicken items are fantastic, fries w garlic sauce are way better than they need to be, and any of the Cambodian dishes are all winners.

Following them on social media, it seems like they've staffed up so I'd expect it to be open much more regularly.
  • Post #59 - January 30th, 2023, 8:35 am
    Post #59 - January 30th, 2023, 8:35 am Post #59 - January 30th, 2023, 8:35 am
    Little noticed amid the deafening buzz is the forthcoming release of the documentary antidote to Jeremy Allen White’s dreamy kitchen dysfunction: Cambodian Futures, a 17-minute short film focused on a real-life restaurant—the beloved, ever-evolving Hermosa. Shepherded these past eight years by Ethan Lim, who took it from a neighborhood sandwich shop to one of the hottest tables in town, the chef serves a visionary expression of Khmer food, a cuisine whose development skipped a generation due to war and genocide.

Lim, the most chill chef you’ll ever meet, soothingly narrates his own sometimes gutting journey, beginning in a Thai refugee camp and leaving off at last year’s Jean Banchet Awards (where, spoiler, he won Rising Chef of the Year). Directed by Dustin Nakao-Haider (Shot in the Dark), it’s one episode in the second season of Firelight Media/American Masters’ In the Making series, focusing on emerging BIPOC artists. Lim’s the only chef to be profiled. There’s no official release date yet, but Nakao-Haider reports it’ll likely appear on PBS sometime in March.

https://chicagoreader.com/food-drink/wa ... is-winter/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #60 - April 11th, 2023, 3:33 pm
    Post #60 - April 11th, 2023, 3:33 pm Post #60 - April 11th, 2023, 3:33 pm
    Cambodian Flavors Bridge a Family’s Past Traumas With Visions of a Funky Future. Chicagoan Ethan Lim and his restaurant, Hermosa, take the spotlight in a new PBS documentary.

https://chicago.eater.com/2023/4/11/236 ... entary-pbs
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more