LTH Home

New Authentic or Reasonably Authentic Chinese Since 2014

New Authentic or Reasonably Authentic Chinese Since 2014
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 6th, 2021, 4:51 pm
    Post #31 - June 6th, 2021, 4:51 pm Post #31 - June 6th, 2021, 4:51 pm
    It's been a long time. I updated the list and removed some places that closed, and of course added places that have opened since the last time I updated this.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #32 - June 7th, 2021, 8:26 am
    Post #32 - June 7th, 2021, 8:26 am Post #32 - June 7th, 2021, 8:26 am
    marothisu wrote:It's been a long time. I updated the list and removed some places that closed, and of course added places that have opened since the last time I updated this.

May I suggest those restaurants who closed, rather than removing and erasing their presence, why not create a memoriam post with their information there? That way the owners may find it and get some happiness they really did a great job to arouse your interest once upon a time.

Thank you for keeping your list going.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #33 - June 7th, 2021, 10:47 am
    Post #33 - June 7th, 2021, 10:47 am Post #33 - June 7th, 2021, 10:47 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    marothisu wrote:It's been a long time. I updated the list and removed some places that closed, and of course added places that have opened since the last time I updated this.

May I suggest those restaurants who closed, rather than removing and erasing their presence, why not create a memoriam post with their information there? That way the owners may find it and get some happiness they really did a great job to arouse your interest once upon a time.

Thank you for keeping your list going.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Yep, that's a good idea. It was part of my next step and will be trying to put something more comprehensive together in the near future.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #34 - June 7th, 2021, 6:02 pm
    Post #34 - June 7th, 2021, 6:02 pm Post #34 - June 7th, 2021, 6:02 pm
    Okay - I have added 21 "gone but not forgotten" restaurants to the post on the first page. I'm sure there's some more I missed.

In case you are wondering, there are over 90 places on the list still as having been opened and still open with some more coming.
  • Post #35 - September 4th, 2021, 10:23 am
    Post #35 - September 4th, 2021, 10:23 am Post #35 - September 4th, 2021, 10:23 am
    Made an update as a bunch of places opened up semi recently or are going to open up. Probably another handful of bakeries and restaurants coming soon too.

I also updated the map - new link.
  • Post #36 - September 8th, 2021, 4:06 pm
    Post #36 - September 8th, 2021, 4:06 pm Post #36 - September 8th, 2021, 4:06 pm
    Do we have a consensus on chengdu aroma?
  • Post #37 - September 8th, 2021, 4:13 pm
    Post #37 - September 8th, 2021, 4:13 pm Post #37 - September 8th, 2021, 4:13 pm
    HPGlutster2 wrote:Do we have a consensus on chengdu aroma?

A consensus? On LTH??? :shock:

:lol:
  • Post #38 - September 8th, 2021, 7:14 pm
    Post #38 - September 8th, 2021, 7:14 pm Post #38 - September 8th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Is the question in regard to authenticity or something else? Having never been to Chengdu, or anywhere in China, I can't speak to authenticity. I can say that I love having it a few blocks from work, and have enjoyed multiple carryout and a few pre-COVID in-house meals there. It's a thumbs-up from me!
  • Post #39 - September 25th, 2021, 10:34 am
    Post #39 - September 25th, 2021, 10:34 am Post #39 - September 25th, 2021, 10:34 am

We're moving back to Chicago in a week, so we'll check it out eventually. Though we aren't experts - only been to Chengdu for a handful of days and my wife has only been to Sichuan 3 or 4 times.
  • Post #40 - October 12th, 2021, 7:21 pm
    Post #40 - October 12th, 2021, 7:21 pm Post #40 - October 12th, 2021, 7:21 pm
    We've mostly been eating Chinese food since moving back. My wife has been pretty happy and surprised at the selections in town so far.

Just ordered Four Seasons Dumpling today from Bridgeport. To my surprise they have a smoked chicken, homemade (pretty sure) that tastes very similar to what I had in China last year. More or less Dongbei style. This is where Homestyle Taste was and so far this place is pretty legit.

Anybody a fan of smoked meat should check it out. This stuff is not easy to find anywhere in the US. Goes well with beer for the record.

• Post #41 - October 13th, 2021, 10:19 am
    Post #41 - October 13th, 2021, 10:19 am Post #41 - October 13th, 2021, 10:19 am
    marothisu wrote:
    Just ordered Four Seasons Dumpling today from Bridgeport. To my surprise they have a smoked chicken, homemade (pretty sure) that tastes very similar to what I had in China last year. More or less Dongbei style. This is where Homestyle Taste was and so far this place is pretty legit.

Anybody a fan of smoked meat should check it out. This stuff is not easy to find anywhere in the US. Goes well with beer for the record.

Two things: do you know the name in Chinese OR English? I couldn't spot it on their online menu. We've definitely been enjoying Four Seasons as our go-to place. The dumplings are solid and the rest of the menu is pretty good. They have both authentic and more American stuff and both have satisfied their respective eaters, though I personally shun the latter. [aside: our other go-to has been Chef Xiong for more Sichuan food]

Second, the picture isn't displaying, and I'd love to see it.
  • Post #42 - October 13th, 2021, 10:47 am
    Post #42 - October 13th, 2021, 10:47 am Post #42 - October 13th, 2021, 10:47 am
    mtgl wrote:the picture isn't displaying, and I'd love to see it.

It displays fine for me. If you can't see it, you can try viewing it directly on imgur.com, where it's stored, by clicking here.
  • Post #43 - October 13th, 2021, 1:09 pm
    Post #43 - October 13th, 2021, 1:09 pm Post #43 - October 13th, 2021, 1:09 pm
    mtgl wrote:
    marothisu wrote:

Two things: do you know the name in Chinese OR English? I couldn't spot it on their online menu. We've definitely been enjoying Four Seasons as our go-to place. The dumplings are solid and the rest of the menu is pretty good. They have both authentic and more American stuff and both have satisfied their respective eaters, though I personally shun the latter. [aside: our other go-to has been Chef Xiong for more Sichuan food]

Second, the picture isn't displaying, and I'd love to see it.

The Chinese is 沟帮子烧鸡 or something like Guobanzhi Chicken. I had a look on Chowbus and it's listed under "Northern Smoked Chicken (whole)"

I'm sure that if you go in person and ask, even show the Chowbus item, they could do it.
  • Post #44 - October 14th, 2021, 11:04 am
    Post #44 - October 14th, 2021, 11:04 am Post #44 - October 14th, 2021, 11:04 am
    nsxtasy wrote:

It displays fine for me. If you can't see it, you can try viewing it directly on imgur.com, where it's stored, by clicking here.

Weird, it displays on my phone but not my laptop. Definitely looks interesting, and thanks for the info. I rarely check Chowbus unless it's ONLY on Chowbus, but it's definitely easier for ordering Chinese than other apps. I just loathe how it constantly wants you to order various dishes from various restaurants in one delivery, never understood that model. Guess we'll be eating at Four Seasons again shortly!

On another note, I did go to the Deng Family Baozi place. I'd hoped they were slightly smaller than most of the baozi around town, similar to what I used to eat in my student days in Beijing, but these are big guys, and pretty good. Need to get back in there, though, we went when it first opened and they were definitely getting things together still.
  • Post #45 - October 14th, 2021, 11:54 am
    Post #45 - October 14th, 2021, 11:54 am Post #45 - October 14th, 2021, 11:54 am
    mtgl wrote:Weird, it displays on my phone but not my laptop.

This is mostly likely a due to (default) setting on your browsers. The image is hosted at imgur. One browser sees that as safe, the other probably doesn't.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #46 - October 14th, 2021, 4:11 pm
    Post #46 - October 14th, 2021, 4:11 pm Post #46 - October 14th, 2021, 4:11 pm
    mtgl wrote:
    nsxtasy wrote:

Weird, it displays on my phone but not my laptop. Definitely looks interesting, and thanks for the info. I rarely check Chowbus unless it's ONLY on Chowbus, but it's definitely easier for ordering Chinese than other apps. I just loathe how it constantly wants you to order various dishes from various restaurants in one delivery, never understood that model. Guess we'll be eating at Four Seasons again shortly!

On another note, I did go to the Deng Family Baozi place. I'd hoped they were slightly smaller than most of the baozi around town, similar to what I used to eat in my student days in Beijing, but these are big guys, and pretty good. Need to get back in there, though, we went when it first opened and they were definitely getting things together still.

We'll have to try that out. There's a place in the Richland Center food court "A Family in the Northeast" who have huge baozi too. Pretty decent as well but not Beijing style of course.
  • Post #47 - October 14th, 2021, 6:59 pm
    Post #47 - October 14th, 2021, 6:59 pm Post #47 - October 14th, 2021, 6:59 pm
    Yes, we've eaten at Dongbei Renjia a few times, it's very good, but preference is for the other fried breads and dumplings. They also err on the greasy side, but still solid. It's definitely a 'best of wheat' show where Chinese food is concerned.

The baozi I miss are about the size of shengjian bao,or slightly smaller, but not pan fried. A couple bites each, a steamer per person, perfection. They were not unique to Beijing, nor ubiquitous there, but the meat-to-bread ratio was ideal and they dipped into chili sauce so easily. Some day...
  • Post #48 - October 14th, 2021, 10:15 pm
    Post #48 - October 14th, 2021, 10:15 pm Post #48 - October 14th, 2021, 10:15 pm
    Wife just spotted that X Pot, which just opened in Roosevelt Collection and starting hot pot soon, is the same as Xiang in NYC.

Xiang is the best hot pot we've had in the US (yes, even including Haidilao). This is exciting.
  • Post #49 - October 14th, 2021, 10:18 pm
    Post #49 - October 14th, 2021, 10:18 pm Post #49 - October 14th, 2021, 10:18 pm
    marothisu wrote:Wife just spotted that X Pot, which just opened in Roosevelt Collection and starting hot pot soon, is the same as Xiang in NYC.

Xiang is the best hot pot we've had in the US (yes, even including Haidilao). This is exciting.

I am so excited you have both moved to Chicago. Your fresh to Chicago and experienced eyes will really highlight things we might have overlooked in the Chinese food scene.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #50 - October 15th, 2021, 9:28 am
    Post #50 - October 15th, 2021, 9:28 am Post #50 - October 15th, 2021, 9:28 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    marothisu wrote:Wife just spotted that X Pot, which just opened in Roosevelt Collection and starting hot pot soon, is the same as Xiang in NYC.

I am so excited you have both moved to Chicago. Your fresh to Chicago and experienced eyes will really highlight things we might have overlooked in the Chinese food scene.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

Hah - we shall see. It seems like there are others on here though who know all these places at least. It's been good so far and we're happy that Chicago has some solid authentic Chinese options now.

Also speaking of which and this was posted in another thread, but Chengdu Impression is opening a 2nd outpost in Wicker Park at 1300 N Milwaukee. I had this spotted a few months ago via public record but wasn't sure until now which restaurant it would be.
  • Post #51 - October 19th, 2021, 1:20 pm
    Post #51 - October 19th, 2021, 1:20 pm Post #51 - October 19th, 2021, 1:20 pm
    Probable new Chinese restaurant coming to 3207 S Halsted, taking over Mariscos Blue Marlin Mexican Cuisine. The person who it's registered to I believe is behind Happy Lamb Hot Pot.

Could it be another location? Guess we'll find out..
  • Post #52 - February 11th, 2022, 7:05 am
    Post #52 - February 11th, 2022, 7:05 am Post #52 - February 11th, 2022, 7:05 am

Chengdu Aroma, a Sichuan hot pot spot at 3227 N. Clark Street, closed at the beginning of January. https://chicago.eater.com/2022/2/3/2291 ... inter-2022
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #53 - February 11th, 2022, 5:05 pm
    Post #53 - February 11th, 2022, 5:05 pm Post #53 - February 11th, 2022, 5:05 pm
    Dave148 wrote:

Chengdu Aroma, a Sichuan hot pot spot at 3227 N. Clark Street, closed at the beginning of January. https://chicago.eater.com/2022/2/3/2291 ... inter-2022

Bummer. We went there a few months ago . Not amazing but not at all bad. It was only about 30% full when we went though.
  • Post #54 - March 6th, 2022, 10:52 am
    Post #54 - March 6th, 2022, 10:52 am Post #54 - March 6th, 2022, 10:52 am
    I guess I'll have to hit all the stalls at 88 Marketplace.
    Dong Ben Ren Jai, for example, looks tremendous, and the hockey-puck-sized discs of juice meat may just bring me back to my beloved Alhambra/Monterey Park days

I mean just look at this

https://twitter.com/louisachu/status/14 ... 62?lang=en
  • Post #55 - March 6th, 2022, 11:01 am
    Post #55 - March 6th, 2022, 11:01 am Post #55 - March 6th, 2022, 11:01 am
    HPGlutster2 wrote:I guess I'll have to hit all the stalls at 88 Marketplace.
    Dong Ben Ren Jai, for example, looks tremendous, and the hockey-puck-sized discs of juice meat may just bring me back to my beloved Alhambra/Monterey Park days

I mean just look at this

https://twitter.com/louisachu/status/14 ... 62?lang=en

They have an outpost in the Richland Center food court too (basement). They're from my wife's home region so we've had them a few times. Their dumplings aren't going to win any awards and they taste more home made, but their meat "pancakes" (like what's in your link) are legit. My wife actually started tearing up after eating them because they tasted good and authentic enough for her to miss home.
  • Post #56 - March 21st, 2022, 9:38 am
    Post #56 - March 21st, 2022, 9:38 am Post #56 - March 21st, 2022, 9:38 am
    I checked out 88 Marketplace A Family in the Northeast. I found the meat pies less magical than the ones I fondly remember from my LA days, but our entire party thought the fried potstickers were exquisite, delicate things, shaped like taquitos, explosion of flavor, perfect.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more