LTH Home

Chicago-style Foods Explained with Pictures

Chicago-style Foods Explained with Pictures
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - December 21st, 2019, 2:11 am
    Post #61 - December 21st, 2019, 2:11 am Post #61 - December 21st, 2019, 2:11 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:We were back in CDMX recently and encountered Klein's Deli, home of the fried salami and french fry taco

Speaking of plagiarize, I want to plagiarize those tacos right into my belly! Oddly hypnotic.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #62 - January 17th, 2020, 4:41 pm
    Post #62 - January 17th, 2020, 4:41 pm Post #62 - January 17th, 2020, 4:41 pm
    I mentioned I was going to be traveling south and would stop at...

Lem's Bar-B-Q
    311 E 75th St, Chicago

... and inquire about the “Fry Sandwich”.

404DFFED-19D2-47B2-9697-82B7CAEFBD02.jpeg

I also ordered a Tip and Link Combo

7E2319E4-59BA-4094-9735-E10139CFABD4.jpeg

After asking for a Fry Sandwich they said...
    The tips come with fries, you have to put it together yourself. We’ll give you some extra bread and put it on top.
    They knew what I was talking about.

I figure it is something like dipping your french fries in your Frosty.

About what you’d expect, fries on bread. Nothing transcendent.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #63 - January 17th, 2020, 6:11 pm
    Post #63 - January 17th, 2020, 6:11 pm Post #63 - January 17th, 2020, 6:11 pm
    They look a bit undersauced to me! And ideally the bread is sort of impacted with just enough BBQ to compress the crumb but not soak through entirely. Still not transcendent, but meals on this astral plane must be enjoyed as well. :D

Now, off to satisfy this sudden craving for Wendy's. . .
  • Post #64 - February 18th, 2020, 12:57 pm
    Post #64 - February 18th, 2020, 12:57 pm Post #64 - February 18th, 2020, 12:57 pm
    Apparently, french fry sandwiches are also a common item in fish & chip shops in the UK and are called "chip butty." To the extent that the New Zealand Burger King has actually added a chip butty menu item.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/food/16-02-202 ... hip-butty/
  • Post #65 - July 17th, 2022, 2:29 pm
    Post #65 - July 17th, 2022, 2:29 pm Post #65 - July 17th, 2022, 2:29 pm
    Helen Rosner has a bemusing piece about Chicago-style dogs at the New Yorker's website . . .

at newyorker.com, Helen Rosner wrote:People will tell you that the one unbreakable rule of a true Chicago-style hot dog is that it should never, ever have ketchup on it. No ketchup on the premises, within a city block, within nineteen miles—no ketchup even by the existentially accommodating standards of a Noël Coward Martini, wherein a glass of gin is waved in the general direction of Italy. I tell you this as a born-and-bred Chicagoan: those people are wrong. “No ketchup” is not the one unbreakable rule of a true “dragged through the garden” Chicago-style hot dog, and this is because a true Chicago-style hot dog has at least a dozen unbreakable rules, involving nine exactingly specific ingredients, particular methods of preparation, and the precise order of assembly. The final rule is, more or less: the hot dog contains all of these elements, and no more. Ketchup is simply irrelevant.

The Unbreakable Rules of the Chicago Dog—and When to Bend Them

In the Windy City, brook no compromises. Everywhere else, work with what you’ve got.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #66 - July 17th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    Post #66 - July 17th, 2022, 2:54 pm Post #66 - July 17th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Helen Rosner has a bemusing piece about Chicago-style dogs at the New Yorker's website . . .
    I agree with her theme of making the best of what's available for expats, but I had no idea poppy seed buns and sport peppers weren't carried at grocery stores nationally. The neon green is obviously much more local since Vienna is the only brand I see on shelves here.
  • Post #67 - July 17th, 2022, 4:23 pm
    Post #67 - July 17th, 2022, 4:23 pm Post #67 - July 17th, 2022, 4:23 pm
    I have myself been keeping dill pickle relish in the house for some time and have found it superior to spears, slices and chips for sandwiches. For one thing, it lasts longer since I'm unlikely to eat a spoonful of relish but extremely likely to eat a chunk of pickle or more in passing. It spreads very well and the dillish essence can get into all sorts of nooks and crannies. Being on hand, it finds its way into things I might not have previously used dill pickle with like tuna salad, deviled eggs, cheese sandwiches and vinaigrette salad dressing. It's used *in addition* to the sweet relish on a lot of these things but not always: I wouldn't put sweet relish on a bratwurst but dill is certainly in play. I'm never going to reject spears for my hot dogs but they're pretty much a special occasion or dining out thing anymore and I genuinely think my homemade dogs (and burgers) are better for it.

And poppy seed buns are sort of a pain in the butt.
  • Post #68 - July 18th, 2022, 10:26 am
    Post #68 - July 18th, 2022, 10:26 am Post #68 - July 18th, 2022, 10:26 am
    Man, so much vitriol and name calling (millenial this, uninformed that). What a fun forum to post to when people are gatekeeping and one-upping people left and right. Although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the snarky attitudes of superiority some display around here. Maybe next time someone wants to talk about a restaurant doing something the old-fashioned way we can just start saying "that reeks of Boomer".

I just thought it was a nice article with some pictures. Is the accuracy debatable on some of them? Sure. But I don't think any article of this kind is going to appease to everyone's opinions here and that's fine. Just because YOU haven't heard of a french fry sandwich doesn't mean that it isn't possibly a thing in Chicago.
  • Post #69 - July 18th, 2022, 10:37 am
    Post #69 - July 18th, 2022, 10:37 am Post #69 - July 18th, 2022, 10:37 am
    mtb4464 wrote:Man, so much vitriol and name calling (millenial this, uninformed that). What a fun forum to post to when people are gatekeeping and one-upping people left and right. Although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the snarky attitudes of superiority some display around here. Maybe next time someone wants to talk about a restaurant doing something the old-fashioned way we can just start saying "that reeks of Boomer".

I just thought it was a nice article with some pictures. Is the accuracy debatable on some of them? Sure. But I don't think any article of this kind is going to appease to everyone's opinions here and that's fine. Just because YOU haven't heard of a french fry sandwich doesn't mean that it isn't possibly a thing in Chicago.

You're probably referring to some very old posts, many of which were made by people who don't really come here anymore. I'll admit that I didn't read the entire thread before adding to it. I probably should have just started a new thread for Rosner's piece. :oops:

Cheers,

=R=
  • Post #70 - July 18th, 2022, 3:10 pm
    Post #70 - July 18th, 2022, 3:10 pm Post #70 - July 18th, 2022, 3:10 pm
    mtb4464 wrote:Man, so much vitriol and name calling (millenial this, uninformed that). What a fun forum to post to when people are gatekeeping and one-upping people left and right. Although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the snarky attitudes of superiority some display around here.

Maybe I am guilty of the sins you describe ( though I have never posted to this thread).

However, I find your criticisms of this forum totally off base.
  • Post #71 - July 18th, 2022, 4:09 pm
    Post #71 - July 18th, 2022, 4:09 pm Post #71 - July 18th, 2022, 4:09 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    mtb4464 wrote:Man, so much vitriol and name calling (millenial this, uninformed that). What a fun forum to post to when people are gatekeeping and one-upping people left and right. Although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the snarky attitudes of superiority some display around here.

Maybe I am guilty of the sins you describe ( though I have never posted to this thread).

Ehhhh… from a longtime (at least 10 years) lurker there’s definitely a pattern of pretentiousness with some users.

I won’t name names because then it will just start a big to-do. It wouldn’t be much of a food forum if there wasn’t some pretentiousness. I’m not saying that’s the majority of the users here, but there are certainly a few “regulars” that like to tout their clout.
  • Post #72 - July 20th, 2022, 11:34 am
    Post #72 - July 20th, 2022, 11:34 am Post #72 - July 20th, 2022, 11:34 am
    mtb4464 wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:

Ehhhh… from a longtime (at least 10 years) lurker there’s definitely a pattern of pretentiousness with some users.

I won’t name names because then it will just start a big to-do. It wouldn’t be much of a food forum if there wasn’t some pretentiousness. I’m not saying that’s the majority of the users here, but there are certainly a few “regulars” that like to tout their clout.

mtb4664,

You mean “Touting their clout” like Jr. high school girls?
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #73 - July 20th, 2022, 2:44 pm
    Post #73 - July 20th, 2022, 2:44 pm Post #73 - July 20th, 2022, 2:44 pm
    mtb4464 wrote:Man, so much vitriol and name calling (millenial this, uninformed that). What a fun forum to post to when people are gatekeeping and one-upping people left and right. Although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the snarky attitudes of superiority some display around here. Maybe next time someone wants to talk about a restaurant doing something the old-fashioned way we can just start saying "that reeks of Boomer".

What in the world are you writing about? All the posts here are over two years old except for the hot dog thread Ronnie started three days ago.
  • Post #74 - July 20th, 2022, 4:29 pm
    Post #74 - July 20th, 2022, 4:29 pm Post #74 - July 20th, 2022, 4:29 pm
    scottsol wrote:

What in the world are you writing about? All the posts here are over two years old except for the hot dog thread Ronnie started three days ago.

scottsol, I believe mtb4664 is referring to the site in general…and I agree with him….better than thou superiority, invention of culinary nomenclature meant to impress ( or intimidate?), pocket steak knives, is there really a best knife on earth for slicing 4 garlic cloves???

I hope to be worthy some day…until that time I am not even a human ______ being. All hail the Czar!!!!

( stock in a pressure cooker/instapot. Really? 4x, 8x, 20x gelatinous stock?)

https://youtu.be/2RGzcPfLcks
    Last edited by Evil Ronnie on July 20th, 2022, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #75 - July 20th, 2022, 6:33 pm
    Post #75 - July 20th, 2022, 6:33 pm Post #75 - July 20th, 2022, 6:33 pm
    Wow.

Curious if there is an area of your life that you are passionate about and how you write about it ?

How is it that caring about something makes me 'better than thou'.

Sorry you feel that way.
  • Post #76 - July 20th, 2022, 7:45 pm
    Post #76 - July 20th, 2022, 7:45 pm Post #76 - July 20th, 2022, 7:45 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Wow.

Curious if there is an area of your life that you are passionate about and how you write about it ?

Sorry you feel that way.

Me too, Lou.

Ronnie, if you don't like it here, no one's making you stay. Criticizing those who post food-related content at a food site (obviously directed mainly at me) is puzzling. That is the purpose of this place. I do my best to stick to it and post accordingly.

For 2+ years, through a pandemic, when I (and so many of us) almost never went out, my passions for home-cooking and photography were both rekindled. The fact that I come here to share those passions seems to enrage you, though I do not understand why. I think it's really sad.

Maybe you've outgrown LTH? It's okay if you have. It's quite alright to move on. Otoh, if you have something of value to post, no one's stopping you. But the trolling is so 2008. Time to grow up, I think.

=R=
  • Post #77 - July 20th, 2022, 8:12 pm
    Post #77 - July 20th, 2022, 8:12 pm Post #77 - July 20th, 2022, 8:12 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:Wow.

Sorry you feel that way.

Me too, Lou.

Ronnie, if you don't like it here, no one's making you stay. Criticizing those who post food-related content at a food site (obviously directed mainly at me) is puzzling. That is the purpose of this place. I do my best to stick to it and post accordingly.

For 2+ years, through a pandemic, when I (and so many of us) almost never went out, my passions for home-cooking and photography were both rekindled. The fact that I come here to share those passions seems to enrage you, though I do not understand why. I think it's really sad.

Maybe you've outgrown LTH? It's okay if you have. It's quite alright to move on. Otoh, if you have something of value to post, no one's stopping you. But the trolling is so 2008. Time to grow up, I think.

=R=

The LTH/KGB has spoken! All hail the Czar!
  • Post #78 - July 21st, 2022, 5:49 am
    Post #78 - July 21st, 2022, 5:49 am Post #78 - July 21st, 2022, 5:49 am
    I guess this includes me as I carry a pocket steak knife, I hate the serrated knives most steak houses use, and have been accused, by panther in the den, of " have noticed several here try to either suck up to the staff or wear their foodie badge on their sleeve to try to get better food. I actively take those reviews with a grain of salt." At, of all places, Bill's Drive-in home of the 3-oz old school griddle burger.

Love to all !!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #79 - July 21st, 2022, 3:34 pm
    Post #79 - July 21st, 2022, 3:34 pm Post #79 - July 21st, 2022, 3:34 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:The LTH/KGB has spoken! All hail the Czar!

OK. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but clearly, you are just an as$hole. Unfortunately, lthforum is missing some of the features that other forums have and I cannot block you. I will simply not read any of your posts.
  • Post #80 - July 21st, 2022, 4:16 pm
    Post #80 - July 21st, 2022, 4:16 pm Post #80 - July 21st, 2022, 4:16 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:The LTH/KGB has spoken! All hail the Czar!

Is he the Czar or the KGB? Angry and inarticulate must be a tough way for you to go through life.
  • Post #81 - July 21st, 2022, 4:19 pm
    Post #81 - July 21st, 2022, 4:19 pm Post #81 - July 21st, 2022, 4:19 pm
    I carry a pocket steak knife, I hate the serrated knives most steak houses use,

Sir, I salute you! This is truly the mark of a great man.
  • Post #82 - July 21st, 2022, 9:56 pm
    Post #82 - July 21st, 2022, 9:56 pm Post #82 - July 21st, 2022, 9:56 pm
    Ladies and gentlemen, I think we can all agree that this thread has become way too hot. I'm usually opposed to locking or deleting threads because I believe this community is largely capable of self-moderation and that disagreements will work themselves out. I hope I'm not proven wrong and that the uncivil exchanges will simmer down. Please.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more