LTH Home

Dangela's Dumplings - Libertyville

Dangela's Dumplings - Libertyville
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Dangela's Dumplings - Libertyville

Post #1 - January 24th, 2020, 1:06 pm
    Post #1 - January 24th, 2020, 1:06 pm Post #1 - January 24th, 2020, 1:06 pm
    Wife & I just came back from a quick lunch at Dangela's Dumplings.

Verdict? Good to very good--we split 3 lunch specials--pork/celery, beef/onion, shrimp/pork/Chinese chive--first two, steamed, last one pan-seared. Each came with half a 'tea-boiled egg', and sides were seaweed salad, shredded cabbage, shredded potato, with a pot of Chinese jasmine tea. Brought 9 dumplings home, three of each.

The sides were not memorable but all dumplings were solid. Condiment of 'spicy paste' not to my liking but a mixture of soy & vinegar provided a perfect balance.

I'll be honest, I'm not ga-ga over it though. Dumplings (or a reasonable facsimile) are present in virtually every culture & cuisine. Call it ravioli, kreplach, gyoza, shumai, mandu, pierogi, and on. Current favorites would include Hwang Dae Gham (Mundelein) Korean steamed mandu & Manny's Coffee Shop's kreplach (I like Max & Benny's too).

And from the past, on the eastern edge of Taylor Street in the 1960's thru 1980's, Florence restaurant served up a perfect pillow of meat ravioli with a simple marinara. That was my gold standard.

Dangela's Dumplings
    133 N Milwaukee Ave.
    Libertyville, IL 60048
    (847) 549-3248
  • Post #2 - January 24th, 2020, 1:49 pm
    Post #2 - January 24th, 2020, 1:49 pm Post #2 - January 24th, 2020, 1:49 pm
    jnm123 wrote:And from the past, on the eastern edge of Taylor Street in the 1960's thru 1980's, Florence restaurant served up a perfect pillow of meat ravioli with a simple marinara. That was my gold standard.

Fond memories...
  • Post #3 - June 1st, 2021, 6:32 am
    Post #3 - June 1st, 2021, 6:32 am Post #3 - June 1st, 2021, 6:32 am
    Wife and I had dinner here two weekends ago. I was reminded of this spot by way of a FB post for Lake County Restaurant Week. While we were dining, she seemed to think that this was the last meal we had out before the pandemic turned the world upside down. Coincidentally, this outing was the first meal we ate out together since that time.

Anyway, we both enjoyed an order of 15 tasty dumplings. It was just us and one other table occupied at around 5:30 on a Saturday night. Chatting up the guy behind the register, he mentioned that carryout business kept them going through the crazy times.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - June 1st, 2021, 12:39 pm
    Post #4 - June 1st, 2021, 12:39 pm Post #4 - June 1st, 2021, 12:39 pm
    Can anyone comment on how these dumplings compare to the dumplings to QXY? This place is significantly closer to me than Chinatown, but QXY sets a pretty high bar.
  • Post #5 - June 1st, 2021, 7:19 pm
    Post #5 - June 1st, 2021, 7:19 pm Post #5 - June 1st, 2021, 7:19 pm
    They’re good. They’re not a destination or close to legendary.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more