LTH Home

Super Pitas in Niles

Super Pitas in Niles
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Super Pitas in Niles

Post #1 - February 1st, 2020, 11:30 am
    Post #1 - February 1st, 2020, 11:30 am Post #1 - February 1st, 2020, 11:30 am
    This Greek gyros spot is tucked into a small strip mall just south of Touhy. They have been open about 7 months but I had overlooked it on my travels.

Well let me tell you, my trips up Milwaukee Ave are gonna take a little longer from now on!

It’s a small menu, pork gyros and souvlaki, lamb and beef kabobs, chicken gyros and kabobs. A couple other items plus an incongruous Chicago style hot dog.

The pork gyros is fantastic, layered meat ( not ground) with great crispy edges while still moist and flavorful and tzatziki aa good as any I’ve ever had. On their lamb and beef kabob plate they offer a mild red sauce which is excellent mixed with the tzatziki and just like what I had in Glifada.

I see many more visits in the future. The family running it are super friendly and obviously proud of their offerings.

Super Pitas
    7041 N. Milwaukee
    Niles, IL 60714
    Greekgyros@super-pitas.com
    847-423-2050
    Su-Th 11am-10pm
    Fri-Sa 11-11
    Call ahead if you planning to show up in their last hour, Friday night might be 10 if they are slow.
    Last edited by Octarine on February 1st, 2020, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - February 1st, 2020, 6:12 pm
    Post #2 - February 1st, 2020, 6:12 pm Post #2 - February 1st, 2020, 6:12 pm
    This place is on our short list. I saw a post on Nextdoor from a Forest Glen resident. She stated that after dining at Super Pitas her car wouldn’t start. Hours after waiting for her insurance road service to show up the owner stepped in, brought his own tools and van over and got her car to start. Asked for nothing in return. Other people chimed in to say how nice the owners are. And that the food is good. It stuck with me. Thanks for the encouragement to get there soon.
  • Post #3 - February 2nd, 2020, 3:41 pm
    Post #3 - February 2nd, 2020, 3:41 pm Post #3 - February 2nd, 2020, 3:41 pm
    Do you know if they’re using the ubiquitous Kronos gyro or might it be the rare housemade?
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #4 - February 2nd, 2020, 5:02 pm
    Post #4 - February 2nd, 2020, 5:02 pm Post #4 - February 2nd, 2020, 5:02 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Do you know if they’re using the ubiquitous Kronos gyro or might it be the rare housemade?

Does Kronos even make pork gyros?
  • Post #5 - February 2nd, 2020, 5:32 pm
    Post #5 - February 2nd, 2020, 5:32 pm Post #5 - February 2nd, 2020, 5:32 pm
    Binko wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:Do you know if they’re using the ubiquitous Kronos gyro or might it be the rare housemade?

No. Neither does Grecian Delight.

=R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #6 - February 3rd, 2020, 7:28 am
    Post #6 - February 3rd, 2020, 7:28 am Post #6 - February 3rd, 2020, 7:28 am

This is absolutely house made. Layered pieces of marinated pork on a spit. No ground pork. The lamb beef bifteka was ground but I didn’t have that on my visit. I’ll be shocked if that isn’t house made as well.
  • Post #7 - February 3rd, 2020, 8:11 am
    Post #7 - February 3rd, 2020, 8:11 am Post #7 - February 3rd, 2020, 8:11 am
    I ate there about a week ago. Completely forgot to post about it. Had the lunch special with pork gyro. Definitely homemade and definitely yummy.

Website = http://www.greeksuperpitas.com/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #8 - February 3rd, 2020, 3:13 pm
    Post #8 - February 3rd, 2020, 3:13 pm Post #8 - February 3rd, 2020, 3:13 pm
    Binko wrote:

Nope. Beef, beef/lamb, chicken.

4220C25B-EFAD-4BB8-9E3B-708782436E74.jpeg
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #9 - February 3rd, 2020, 5:26 pm
    Post #9 - February 3rd, 2020, 5:26 pm Post #9 - February 3rd, 2020, 5:26 pm
    In case it isn't already clear from Octarine's post upthread (and the menus now pictured and linked below), the meats at Super Pitas are prepared in house. We had a nice lunch today at SP, which is just a tad over a mile from my office. Very good food, extremely friendly service and a nice, comfortable space. First up, the menu . . .

Super Pitas' Menu - 20.0203 (opens a .pdf)

Pork Gyros Plate
    I really enjoyed the meat, the pita and the tsatziki. The meat was juicy, crispy and nicely fatty. It was a bit under-seasoned but the Greek Kalas salt on the table was the perfect cure for that. The pita was nicely grilled and the tsatziki was thick, flavorful and obviously high in quality.

Pork Gyros Plate, no fries
    My companion ordered his without fries. That was no great loss. As you can see above, the fries were nicely seasoned but a bit undercooked and soft.

Super Pitas' Spits - Pork left, Chicken right
    This is what will absolutely keep me coming back. Just a beautiful sight.

The obvious comparison with Super Pitas is nearby Charcoal Flame (6800 Dempster, Morton Grove), which puts out a very comparable pork gyros. Meat over meat, I'll give the edge to Super Pitas, mainly because it was moister and fattier. But I like the overall menu better at CF because it's deeper and provides more ways to enjoy the gyros meat. Next time at Super Pitas, I'll try the chicken, too. As you can see from the pic of the spit above, it looks great.

=R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #10 - February 3rd, 2020, 7:06 pm
    Post #10 - February 3rd, 2020, 7:06 pm Post #10 - February 3rd, 2020, 7:06 pm
    Thanks for the great pics, Ron. I for some reason have constant posting issues and have given up with all the hosting services.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more