LTH Home

Shinsen - Evanston

Shinsen - Evanston
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Shinsen - Evanston

Post #1 - February 17th, 2020, 11:55 am
    Post #1 - February 17th, 2020, 11:55 am Post #1 - February 17th, 2020, 11:55 am
    Had a marvelous dinner here last night. Papaya salad with duck confit, hamachi with crispy garlic and yuzu, robata of shishito peppers with roasted garlic mayo, then beautiful head-on shrimp, pork belly, chicken, chicken fried rice and a great bowl of ramen. Terrific service, too. Disappointed that the restaurant wasn't busy; we were one of three tables. This restaurant deserves our support. I hope you enjoy your lunch next Monday! It's BYOB, btw.

1322 Chicago Ave
    Evanston, IL 60201
    (847) 425-0077
    "Barbecue sauce is like a beautiful woman. If it’s too sweet, it’s bound to be hiding something."
    — Lyle Lovett

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray
  • Post #2 - March 8th, 2020, 12:38 pm
    Post #2 - March 8th, 2020, 12:38 pm Post #2 - March 8th, 2020, 12:38 pm
    LTH North went to Shinsen Feb 24, my apologies for the delay in posting these pictures. For most items I forgot till the dish was mostly consumed, but I did get "before" pictures for the most photo worthy items, IMHO.
    IMG_0404.JPG Tamarind Noodle?
    IMG_0407.JPG Yakitori Don (IIRC)
    IMG_0403.JPG Papaya Salad
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #3 - March 8th, 2020, 1:53 pm
    Post #3 - March 8th, 2020, 1:53 pm Post #3 - March 8th, 2020, 1:53 pm
    diversedancer wrote:LTH North went to Shinsen Feb 24

I believe that was the Evanston Lunch Group™.
  • Post #4 - September 11th, 2020, 12:11 pm
    Post #4 - September 11th, 2020, 12:11 pm Post #4 - September 11th, 2020, 12:11 pm
    No notes though we've had food from them multiple times. Just an observation that they easily earned a spot in our regular order-in rotation. Although the menu is not extensive, everything we've had has been made with care, was delicious, and was superbly packaged and labeled. We try to order from many different small places so as to spread our not-enough dollars around to deserving places.
    You may find any given dish not quite as spicy as you'd like or not quite "exactly what you want/expect." We've had minor quibbles with a few things. But we have regularly been won over by their attention to detail and general high quality and exceptional service. This is one of the few spots we have come back to again and again and we would recommend it (almost) without reservation.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more