LTH Home

Restaurants in the era of social distancing

Restaurants in the era of social distancing
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 11 of 11 
  • Post #301 - September 3rd, 2020, 11:24 am
    Post #301 - September 3rd, 2020, 11:24 am Post #301 - September 3rd, 2020, 11:24 am
    We ate at a restaurant on the Moon. Social distancing and everyone wore masks. Great food and great service! There was, however, a total lack of atmosphere.
  • Post #302 - September 3rd, 2020, 5:41 pm
    Post #302 - September 3rd, 2020, 5:41 pm Post #302 - September 3rd, 2020, 5:41 pm
    You forgot to mention that the chocolate mousse was incredibly light.
  • Post #303 - September 4th, 2020, 6:57 am
    Post #303 - September 4th, 2020, 6:57 am Post #303 - September 4th, 2020, 6:57 am
    One of America’s Most Respected Restaurant Groups to Lay Off More Than 500 Employees. Boka Group, which co-owns celebrity chef Stephanie Izard's restaurants, has taken a major hit from Covid.

https://robbreport.com/food-drink/dinin ... s-2948853/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #304 - September 10th, 2020, 12:53 pm
    Post #304 - September 10th, 2020, 12:53 pm Post #304 - September 10th, 2020, 12:53 pm
    Hi- I live in a condo building on Ridge near Davis. I came back from the dentist today, and I noticed there were some packages on top of our mailboxes as you enter the building. I was going to bring them inside, and I noticed one of the packages was from Peppercorn Kitchens, and was a delivery they just left there. All it had on the bag was our street address. There was no name or unit number on the bag. It was still hot. I don't know who delivered it. It was pig intestines and something else with pork in it, and so it was not something I would order. The person that put the address down, probably did not realize it was a condo building. The Asian gentleman that ordered it, finally came down to get it after about 15 minutes. He probably called up the restaurant wondering where it was.
  • Post #305 - September 10th, 2020, 3:05 pm
    Post #305 - September 10th, 2020, 3:05 pm Post #305 - September 10th, 2020, 3:05 pm
    JP1121 wrote:
    smorris76 wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    JP1121 wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    toria wrote:It worked for me. We keep out masks on when we order. We ask that the waitstaff does not keep coming back to our table after our food is delivered unless we wave for them and need them. It worked just fine. We will put our masks on when server comes with the check.

This would be the perfect time to switch to the system I experienced in Seoul. Every table had a button/call bell. Servers only came over when that button was pressed. No need for unnecessary trips from servers.

None of this sounds fun from either the customers or the servers perspective.

It's actually brilliant. You only call servers over when you need something. Cuts out the guesswork on both sides.

The same system is employed at many restaurants in Japan and I agree it's fantastic.

It is a completely different culture..

It is a completely different culture. But not because of tipping. The big cultural difference is that they don't suffer from White American Exceptionalism. Over there the government says "wear a mask, take care of each other" and they do. Over here our governor says "wear a mask, take care of each other" and a bunch of people, including those who would tell you with a straight face that they love the restaurant industry, say "eh, kinda a hassle" then they just go ahead and put the server and the other diners and the business and their community at greater risk.
  • Post #306 - September 10th, 2020, 5:22 pm
    Post #306 - September 10th, 2020, 5:22 pm Post #306 - September 10th, 2020, 5:22 pm
    I like the idea of a button on the table or some other device to signal to waitstaff when you would like them to approach. Could be as simple and inexpensive as the red and green coasters used at Brazilian churrascarias.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #307 - September 10th, 2020, 5:59 pm
    Post #307 - September 10th, 2020, 5:59 pm Post #307 - September 10th, 2020, 5:59 pm
    Katie wrote:I like the idea of a button on the table or some other device to signal to waitstaff when you would like them to approach.

I’d pay a lot for a button like that for everyday life.
  • Post #308 - September 10th, 2020, 6:17 pm
    Post #308 - September 10th, 2020, 6:17 pm Post #308 - September 10th, 2020, 6:17 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    Katie wrote:I like the idea of a button on the table or some other device to signal to waitstaff when you would like them to approach.

I’d pay a lot for a button like that for everyday life.

I'd pay double for one that sent people away.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events