LTH Home

Restaurants/bars - post Covid-19

Restaurants/bars - post Covid-19
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - May 31st, 2023, 11:36 am
    Post #121 - May 31st, 2023, 11:36 am Post #121 - May 31st, 2023, 11:36 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:The biggest post-pandemic behavior change for me has been trying new restaurants. I go out so much less frequently, I find myself really only going to the few places I KNOW will treat me/us well and provide reasonable value for money and no surprises. Whether that’s at the low or higher end. That’s also a function of moving out to a more remote area but I’m not sure that’s the main reason. I just don’t have the patience for exploration the way I used to.

    Well said, especially the part about exploration.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #122 - May 31st, 2023, 11:38 am
    Post #122 - May 31st, 2023, 11:38 am Post #122 - May 31st, 2023, 11:38 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:The biggest post-pandemic behavior change for me has been trying new restaurants. I go out so much less frequently, I find myself really only going to the few places I KNOW will treat me/us well and provide reasonable value for money and no surprises. Whether that’s at the low or higher end. That’s also a function of moving out to a more remote area but I’m not sure that’s the main reason. I just don’t have the patience for exploration the way I used to.

    Well said, especially the part about exploration.

    =R=


    Or maybe we’ve just entered “old fartdom” :)
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #123 - May 31st, 2023, 11:45 am
    Post #123 - May 31st, 2023, 11:45 am Post #123 - May 31st, 2023, 11:45 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:The biggest post-pandemic behavior change for me has been trying new restaurants. I go out so much less frequently, I find myself really only going to the few places I KNOW will treat me/us well and provide reasonable value for money and no surprises. Whether that’s at the low or higher end. That’s also a function of moving out to a more remote area but I’m not sure that’s the main reason. I just don’t have the patience for exploration the way I used to.

    Well said, especially the part about exploration.

    =R=


    Or maybe we’ve just entered “old fartdom” :)

    LOL - I've already been there for years, so I don't see that as a factor in the here and now! :P

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #124 - August 16th, 2023, 1:15 pm
    Post #124 - August 16th, 2023, 1:15 pm Post #124 - August 16th, 2023, 1:15 pm
    scottsol wrote:While it is not yet a post- COVID-19 world, the crowd (and it was a crowd) at Maple & Ash were certainly acting like it, with the full cooperation of the restaurant.

    The packed patio was not set up for maximum seating, but had far less than six feet between tables. The inside bar was mobbed with non masked patrons, at least the employees were masked.

    Apparently younger white sophisticated well off urbanites are immune from the disease, or at least the fear of it.

    Estranged investors in one of Chicago’s most successful restaurants say they have proof the founders of the Maple & Ash steakhouse engaged in “rampant misappropriation” of federal pandemic relief funds and diverted millions of dollars into other accounts, according to newly unsealed court records obtained by WBEZ and the Chicago Sun-Times.

    https://www.wbez.org/stories/investors- ... m=url_copy
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #125 - August 18th, 2023, 10:49 am
    Post #125 - August 18th, 2023, 10:49 am Post #125 - August 18th, 2023, 10:49 am
    Last week, I was travelling across the Midwest. I stayed in a motel where it was a Covid time capsule.

    When you checked in, I was behind a thick window making communication difficult.

    I asked what time was breakfast and was informed it would be a bag breakfast with muffins, granola bars and a piece of fruit. I could see the breakfast area nearby, though clearly not been used in quite a while.

    I leaned forward, "You know, the pandemic is over."

    "We are waiting for an inspection." We both knew it was a fib, so I just let it go.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #126 - August 18th, 2023, 6:26 pm
    Post #126 - August 18th, 2023, 6:26 pm Post #126 - August 18th, 2023, 6:26 pm
    I stay at medium high end hotels regularly.

    Almost every hotel I stay at has not brought cleaning and breakfast standards to pre-Covid standards.

    Hotel management companies have used Covid to reduce their costs. It clearly will never go back to pre-Covid standards.
  • Post #127 - August 19th, 2023, 9:35 am
    Post #127 - August 19th, 2023, 9:35 am Post #127 - August 19th, 2023, 9:35 am
    lougord99 wrote:I stay at medium high end hotels regularly.

    Almost every hotel I stay at has not brought cleaning and breakfast standards to pre-Covid standards.

    Hotel management companies have used Covid to reduce their costs. It clearly will never go back to pre-Covid standards.

    The big exception I still see is that housekeeping is only on request. That's probably more employment cost than COVID, and it had started already prior to COVID, but it's here to stay.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #128 - August 22nd, 2023, 4:21 pm
    Post #128 - August 22nd, 2023, 4:21 pm Post #128 - August 22nd, 2023, 4:21 pm
    I think we are saying the same thing.
    But yes, as you say, this might have happened Covid or not.
  • Post #129 - August 23rd, 2023, 3:35 pm
    Post #129 - August 23rd, 2023, 3:35 pm Post #129 - August 23rd, 2023, 3:35 pm
    Frustrations Mount Over Restaurant Surcharges — But Owners Say Fees Are Necessary For Survival

    https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/08/23 ... -survival/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #130 - August 24th, 2023, 6:27 am
    Post #130 - August 24th, 2023, 6:27 am Post #130 - August 24th, 2023, 6:27 am
    I read that Block Club article and boy do some of the quotes get me fired up. I 100% understand rising labor and food cost necessitate higher prices. What I 100% don't agree with is crap like this...(a restaurant owner is talking about adding surcharges rather than just raising menu prices), "“It’s a constant battle: How do we present this properly without creating too much sticker stock?”. In essence, he's saying, how can we ensure the customer doesn't realize the price he/she is paying for a meal by adding a percentage to the total vs displaying full price on the menu.

    If your business model is predicated on confusing your customer, you suck. And I don't really care how much you bleat that your surcharge is transparent. You're doing it because many times the customer doesn't recognize it. If that's your pricing model, why not just play around with lowering your menu prices and uping the "% surcharge" until you maximize your profit and the customer confusion.
  • Post #131 - August 24th, 2023, 9:40 am
    Post #131 - August 24th, 2023, 9:40 am Post #131 - August 24th, 2023, 9:40 am
    HT70 wrote:I read that Block Club article and boy do some of the quotes get me fired up. I 100% understand rising labor and food cost necessitate higher prices. What I 100% don't agree with is crap like this...(a restaurant owner is talking about adding surcharges rather than just raising menu prices), "“It’s a constant battle: How do we present this properly without creating too much sticker stock?”. In essence, he's saying, how can we ensure the customer doesn't realize the price he/she is paying for a meal by adding a percentage to the total vs displaying full price on the menu.

    If your business model is predicated on confusing your customer, you suck. And I don't really care how much you bleat that your surcharge is transparent. You're doing it because many times the customer doesn't recognize it. If that's your pricing model, why not just play around with lowering your menu prices and uping the "% surcharge" until you maximize your profit and the customer confusion.

    Amen.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #132 - August 29th, 2023, 11:56 am
    Post #132 - August 29th, 2023, 11:56 am Post #132 - August 29th, 2023, 11:56 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Estranged investors in one of Chicago’s most successful restaurants say they have proof the founders of the Maple & Ash steakhouse engaged in “rampant misappropriation” of federal pandemic relief funds and diverted millions of dollars into other accounts, according to newly unsealed court records obtained by WBEZ and the Chicago Sun-Times.

    https://www.wbez.org/stories/investors- ... m=url_copy

    Press Release: Croke Fairchild Litigators Notch Win for Investors in Chicago Restaurant Business Dispute

    CFDB press release wrote:Croke Fairchild Duarte & Beres won a key decision on behalf of investors against Chicago restaurant management group Maple Manager LLC, the group behind the famed restaurant Maple & Ash.

    The court sanctioned Maple Manager for its effort to sanction investors who claimed Maple Manager dissolved the company behind the restaurant to evade repaying the millions of dollars that the investors claim that Maple Manager wrongfully diverted from the restaurants to the detriment of the investors.

    Maple Manager alleged that investors wrongfully disclosed information in violation of a prior protective order and their operating agreement. However, Cook County Circuit Court Judge Alison Conlon found that Maple Manager failed to provide detail specifying what information was disclosed, and that the motion was neither grounded in facts nor supported by existing law — making it subject to sanction itself.

    Judge Conlon ruled that Maple Manager must pay the investors “reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs” for those incurred in responding to the management firm’s sanctions bid and the filing of their own cross-motion.

    CFDB Partner Mike Layden, who represents the investors in the matter, said, “We are pleased that the court took a clear look at the facts and fairly applied the law in assessing Maple Manager’s meritless motion to sanction our clients. We look forward to bringing this matter to a close.”

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #133 - August 29th, 2023, 10:52 pm
    Post #133 - August 29th, 2023, 10:52 pm Post #133 - August 29th, 2023, 10:52 pm
    I truly hope that the next chapter of the Maple & Ash story will include the US Attorney. If the allegations are true, somebody's next cooking job should be in the kitchen of the federal pen. For a long time.
  • Post #134 - March 21st, 2024, 2:21 pm
    Post #134 - March 21st, 2024, 2:21 pm Post #134 - March 21st, 2024, 2:21 pm
    For lack of a better place to post it, here's a new development in the ongoing trainwreck that is Maple & Ash . . .

    at chicagobusiness.com, Jack Grieve wrote:The owner of embattled Gold Coast steakhouse Maple & Ash repeatedly lied under oath and failed to comply with court orders in discovery during an ongoing legal battle with investors, the judge presiding over the case said in a March 20 filing.

    Cook County Circuit Court Judge Alison Conlon sanctioned owner James Lasky for his noncompliance and ordered the defendant to cover the plaintiffs' legal fees that resulted from his withholding of information.

    The sanction is the latest development in a lawsuit against Maple & Ash in which investors accuse management of engaging in millions of dollars of Paycheck Protection Program fraud and violating an operating agreement when it decided to dissolve itself last year.

    In the March 20 filing, Conlon said the defense failed to disclose 45 payments totaling $1.6 million to Lasky. According to the judge, counsel "disavowed any personal knowledge because 'this is not my area of expertise, accounting principles.'"

    The judge was not persuaded, writing that "neither accounting principles nor math were necessary to ensure that all ledger entries were included and a proper time frame was used."

    Conlon also found that Lasky lied under oath about the existence of an account with Albany Bank. The defense offered "a litany of misplaced excuses" for the omission, according to the judge. Lasky also failed to disclose a $305,000 transfer to his brother, Jerry Lasky, that "should have been disclosed in the interrogatory answer but was not," the judge said.

    Maple & Ash owner sanctioned by judge for repeatedly lying under oath

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #135 - March 23rd, 2024, 8:11 am
    Post #135 - March 23rd, 2024, 8:11 am Post #135 - March 23rd, 2024, 8:11 am
    I might be wrong about this, but it is truly funny to me reading all the legal saga of these people that they blamed foot traffic for closing 1 of their restaurants in town in the midst of this.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #136 - March 23rd, 2024, 8:34 am
    Post #136 - March 23rd, 2024, 8:34 am Post #136 - March 23rd, 2024, 8:34 am
    marothisu wrote:I might be wrong about this, but it is truly funny to me reading all the legal saga of these people that they blamed foot traffic for closing 1 of their restaurants in town in the midst of this.

    Even funnier that they were implicitly blaming a rise in crime.
  • Post #137 - May 15th, 2024, 8:38 am
    Post #137 - May 15th, 2024, 8:38 am Post #137 - May 15th, 2024, 8:38 am
    Donna Lee, founder of Brown Bag Seafood Co., is starting to feel optimistic about the Loop.

    The number of office workers coming downtown seems to be inching up every month. Lunch rushes are back, and Lee hopes the summer will bring hordes of hungry tourists to her fast casual restaurant group.

    Brown Bag closed two of its downtown locations in 2020, when the pandemic gutted the dining scene. But Lee is starting to think about opening another location.

    “This is probably the first year that things are stable,” said Zach Flanzman, Brown Bag’s chief operating officer. “We feel fully back to 2019 levels.”

    More than 300 downtown restaurants, bars and bistros shuttered during the first three years of the pandemic, including iconic spots such as Ronny’s Steakhouse and chain locations such as Starbucks and Panera Bread, according to Datassential, an analytics firm for the food and beverage industries.

    But surviving Loop restaurant owners now say they can see light at the end of the tunnel. Even though many downtown office workers are still absent Mondays and Fridays, restaurateurs have found ways to compensate.

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/05/ ... come-back/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #138 - May 15th, 2024, 12:00 pm
    Post #138 - May 15th, 2024, 12:00 pm Post #138 - May 15th, 2024, 12:00 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    scottsol wrote:While it is not yet a post- COVID-19 world, the crowd (and it was a crowd) at Maple & Ash were certainly acting like it, with the full cooperation of the restaurant.

    The packed patio was not set up for maximum seating, but had far less than six feet between tables. The inside bar was mobbed with non masked patrons, at least the employees were masked.

    Apparently younger white sophisticated well off urbanites are immune from the disease, or at least the fear of it.

    Estranged investors in one of Chicago’s most successful restaurants say they have proof the founders of the Maple & Ash steakhouse engaged in “rampant misappropriation” of federal pandemic relief funds and diverted millions of dollars into other accounts, according to newly unsealed court records obtained by WBEZ and the Chicago Sun-Times.

    https://www.wbez.org/stories/investors- ... m=url_copy

    One of the country’s largest accounting firms has become entangled in the long-running legal battle between investors in a popular restaurant in Chicago, court documents show.

    Estranged stakeholders in Maple & Ash — a Gold Coast steakhouse that’s the highest-grossing restaurant in the city — are asking a Cook County judge to enforce a subpoena against the Plante Moran accounting firm for documents stemming from the firm’s work for the restaurant.

    https://www.wbez.org/stories/maple-and- ... 4729387a2a
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #139 - May 15th, 2024, 1:39 pm
    Post #139 - May 15th, 2024, 1:39 pm Post #139 - May 15th, 2024, 1:39 pm
    Current/new restaurant trends in the Washington Post with plenty of comments from the owners of Warlord in Chicago.
    -Unusual hours
    -Fish with some age on it
    -Steakhouses offer gardens of good eating
    -So long, group reservations
    -Retro drinks with some twists

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2024/05/14/dining-trends-open-days-large-groups/
  • Post #140 - May 16th, 2024, 7:15 am
    Post #140 - May 16th, 2024, 7:15 am Post #140 - May 16th, 2024, 7:15 am
    Clark Street Outdoor Dining Program Will Return This Summer — But Traffic Lanes Will Stay Open

    https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/05/15 ... stay-open/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #141 - May 17th, 2024, 3:44 pm
    Post #141 - May 17th, 2024, 3:44 pm Post #141 - May 17th, 2024, 3:44 pm
    They split the baby in half and no one is happy.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more