LTH Home

Yellow Rose Cafe, Old School Diner

Yellow Rose Cafe, Old School Diner
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Yellow Rose Cafe, Old School Diner

Post #1 - June 13th, 2020, 8:51 am
    Post #1 - June 13th, 2020, 8:51 am Post #1 - June 13th, 2020, 8:51 am
    Yellow Rose Cafe, last of a dying breed, Old School diner with stool seating and a few scattered tables, open early, close mid-afternoon. No Sundays. Chef/owner Angelo knows everyone who walks in the door and, if you are new, he will know your name by the second visit.

Tip-top breakfasts, corned beef hash in particular, burgers, BLTs, tuna melt, plate lunches, house-made soup of the day, house-made jelly and a surprisingly potent house-made hot sauce. I typically order breakfast, three over easy, ham off the bone, grits and a pair of English muffins.

Hyper reasonable prices, daily specials plus a white-board 2-eggs, 2-sausage, hash browns, toast, coffee for $6.49. I adore Yellow Rose Café, find Angelo charming in a gruff, friendly, archetype Greek diner owner fashion. Fast friendly service, large parking lot, cash only.

Yesterday, after two long months of not being served food in a restaurant, the bride and I went to Yellow Rose for breakfast. Tables setup outside, keeping the new normal regs in mind, I was almost giddy with glee, its amazing what a friendly smile while pouring coffee will do for ones mood.

Breakfast Bonus: Bride and I chatted with a lively 91-year-old, sharper than most, personable, conversation went on long after our delicious meal finished. Jimmy even pulled a fast one and bought our meal. I told him about Josephs Finest Meats, he went, loved the place and bought prime dry-age steaks. We’ve already chatted on the phone, I have a new BFF :)

Chicago's Best Corned Beef (Hash): Yellow Rose Cafe

Yellow Rose Cafe, count me a Fan!

YRCP6.jpg Yellow Rose Cafe

YRC1.jpg Yellow Rose Cafe

YellowRose56.jpg "Lite" Breakfast

YellowRose4.jpg Corned Beef Hash

YellowRose2.jpg Tuna Melt

YRCP4.jpg New Normal, Patio Breakfast

YRCP5.jpg Jimmy, 91-years-young. My new BFF :)

Yellow Rose Cafe  
    5640 N Elston Ave
    Chicago, IL 60646
    773-631-2297
    M - F 5:30AM–2:30PM
    Saturday 6AM–1PM
    Sunday Closed
    Large parking lot
    Cash only
    Hours may be different until the new normal fades to memory. Call.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - July 27th, 2020, 5:25 pm
    Post #2 - July 27th, 2020, 5:25 pm Post #2 - July 27th, 2020, 5:25 pm
    Yellow Rose Cafe, love love love Yellow Rose Cafe!

Solo early lunch, fairly hungry so went Clubhouse sandwich which includes cup of soup and fries. Angelo brought me a little snack of corned beef. Sidewalk socially distanced dining, with a lovely view of Elston Ave, there's also outside seating without Rue de Elston as improvised Montmartre.

Club textbook, fries crispy, soup house-made, hot sauce house-made, friendliness comes naturally.

Heartwarming slice of life vignette, as they were walking out the 85-year-old father put his hand out, as one might do for a child, in front of his 60ish son as they came to the end of the sidewalk so not to move into Elston Ave traffic crossing the street. I found it heartwarming. (Yes, I'm getting soft in my old age)

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - July 29th, 2020, 1:01 pm
    Post #3 - July 29th, 2020, 1:01 pm Post #3 - July 29th, 2020, 1:01 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Yellow Rose Cafe, love love love Yellow Rose Cafe!

Solo early lunch, fairly hungry so went Clubhouse sandwich which includes cup of soup and fries. Angelo brought me a little snack of corned beef. Sidewalk socially distanced dining, with a lovely view of Elston Ave, there's also outside seating without Rue de Elston as improvised Montmartre.

Club textbook, fries crispy, soup house-made, hot sauce house-made, friendliness comes naturally.

Heartwarming slice of life vignette, as they were walking out the 85-year-old father put his hand out, as one might do for a child, in front of his 60ish son as they came to the end of the sidewalk so not to move into Elston Ave traffic crossing the street. I found it heartwarming. (Yes, I'm getting soft in my old age)

Does the club have sliced off the bone Turkey? A lot of these places want to just substitute thin sliced Turkey breast instead of going through the trouble of roasting their own.
  • Post #4 - July 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm
    Post #4 - July 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm Post #4 - July 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm
    Brushman4 wrote:Does the club have sliced off the bone Turkey? A lot of these places want to just substitute thin sliced Turkey breast instead of going through the trouble of roasting their own.

Yellow Rose clubhouse turkey is real turkey, most likely roasted in house.* Breast or whole bird is not a question I've asked. I should note I am not down, as are many LTHers, on deli turkey. I buy it for the house, like it in sandwiches when out and offer no apology for my somewhat pedestrian taste.

For around $9 one gets a large well made club, fries, cup of soup, friendly service and a true throw-back old school diner environment.

*Yellow Rose makes their own jelly, hot sauce, soup (scratch, not from base) and a myarid of other items many diners buy premade. Stands to reason they roast their own turkey but, like I said, I've never asked.
    Last edited by G Wiv on July 29th, 2020, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - July 29th, 2020, 2:10 pm
    Post #5 - July 29th, 2020, 2:10 pm Post #5 - July 29th, 2020, 2:10 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Brushman4 wrote:Does the club have sliced off the bone Turkey? A lot of these places want to just substitute thin sliced Turkey breast instead of going through the trouble of roasting their own.

Yellow Rose clubhouse turkey is real turkey, most likely roasted in house*. Breast or whole bird is not a question I've asked. I should note I am not down, as are many LTHers, on deli turkey. I buy it for the house, like it in sandwiches when out and offer no apology for my somewhat pedestrian taste.

For around $9 one gets a large well made club, fries, cup of soup, friendly service and a true throw-back old school diner environment.

*Yellow Rose makes their own jelly, hot sauce, soup (scratch, not from base) and a myarid of other items many diners buy premade. Stands to reason they roast their own turkey but, like I said, I've never asked.

Thanks, I'll definitely check out The Yellow Rose for a turkey club, that's a great price in today's age.

I've usually get them at Omega which is about 1.5 miles away from me, the last time I bought one a few weeks ago it was pretty pricey with the fries, soup etc. ringing in at $14+ tax included!
  • Post #6 - July 29th, 2020, 2:39 pm
    Post #6 - July 29th, 2020, 2:39 pm Post #6 - July 29th, 2020, 2:39 pm
    If they make their own soups, it stands to reason that they would roast turkey, ham, chicken, etc.... because the leftover bones are the key to good soup. Who doesn't like a breakfast with ham sliced off the bone and grilled a bit. Then later some split pea, navy bean, or ham/potato soup. Would get me in the door on a regular basis.
  • Post #7 - July 29th, 2020, 2:47 pm
    Post #7 - July 29th, 2020, 2:47 pm Post #7 - July 29th, 2020, 2:47 pm
    I love Yellow Rose Cafe unreservedly. Good cook, old-school staff. I believe they make their own refried beans to be a side for the Mexican-American items.

Most of the time, thought, I look hungrily at the menu and always order the [house made] corned beef hash. Best I've ever had.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #8 - July 29th, 2020, 4:08 pm
    Post #8 - July 29th, 2020, 4:08 pm Post #8 - July 29th, 2020, 4:08 pm
    Brushman4 wrote:Thanks, I'll definitely check out The Yellow Rose for a turkey club, that's a great price in today's age.

I've usually get them at Omega which is about 1.5 miles away from me, the last time I bought one a few weeks ago it was pretty pricey with the fries, soup etc. ringing in at $14+ tax included!

Been about a year since I've been to the Omega, family member picked it for about 20 of us to meet for brunch. Was perfect for the occasion, food fine, service good, prices appealed to all and they handled our multi generational group well.

That said, if memory serves, the turkey at Omega was deli slice not roast in house. Like I said above, not a deal breaker for me, and I remember liking the club house sandwich, but it was 68/100 compared to Yellow Rose 88/100.

Speaking of house roast whole turkey for sandwiches, just because a joint roasts their own turkey does not automatically make it delicious. I've had plenty of dry turkey in my life, especially turkey breast meat.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - August 8th, 2020, 3:02 pm
    Post #9 - August 8th, 2020, 3:02 pm Post #9 - August 8th, 2020, 3:02 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Yellow Rose clubhouse turkey is real turkey, most likely roasted in house.* Breast or whole bird is not a question I've asked.

Yellow Rose Cafe roasts turkey breast in-house for sandwiches. In the past, pre pandemic, they roasted whole birds. Currently there's less demand for plate lunch specials such as turkey, mainly breakfast and sandwiches, thus turkey breast.

My sandwich today was terrific, crisp bacon, nice tomato, well managed lettuce, moist turkey, perfectly toasted bread, generous mayo and crisp fries. Held together with a cute curly frizzed toothpick. $9.25 with fries and cup of soup.

Click image to expand

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - August 8th, 2020, 5:12 pm
    Post #10 - August 8th, 2020, 5:12 pm Post #10 - August 8th, 2020, 5:12 pm
    What exactly is “well managed lettuce” ?
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #11 - August 8th, 2020, 6:56 pm
    Post #11 - August 8th, 2020, 6:56 pm Post #11 - August 8th, 2020, 6:56 pm
    Do they have an open faced turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy?
  • Post #12 - August 8th, 2020, 7:44 pm
    Post #12 - August 8th, 2020, 7:44 pm Post #12 - August 8th, 2020, 7:44 pm
    Dave148 wrote:What exactly is “well managed lettuce” ?

Crisp, dry, not bruised, refreshing crunch, good placement on sandwich, balanced ratio to other ingredients . . .

Ram4 wrote:Do they have an open faced turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy?

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #13 - August 8th, 2020, 7:49 pm
    Post #13 - August 8th, 2020, 7:49 pm Post #13 - August 8th, 2020, 7:49 pm
    Thank you for the clarification.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #14 - August 9th, 2020, 10:59 am
    Post #14 - August 9th, 2020, 10:59 am Post #14 - August 9th, 2020, 10:59 am
    I'm in Gary! Next year...
  • Post #15 - August 23rd, 2020, 2:25 pm
    Post #15 - August 23rd, 2020, 2:25 pm Post #15 - August 23rd, 2020, 2:25 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I'm in Gary! Next year...

Gary, Indiana?
  • Post #16 - October 28th, 2020, 12:26 pm
    Post #16 - October 28th, 2020, 12:26 pm Post #16 - October 28th, 2020, 12:26 pm
    Yellow Rose puts a sparkle in my eye and fills my belly. According to the ever changing regulations they are going take out only for the time being, got in one last socially distanced meal with the bride this morning after our bi-monthly Costco run (already out of paper towels)

Click to enlarge

Yellow Rose, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #17 - May 8th, 2021, 1:59 pm
    Post #17 - May 8th, 2021, 1:59 pm Post #17 - May 8th, 2021, 1:59 pm
    *Best in Chicagoland* Grits at Yellow Rose Cafe.

Yellow Rose is an Old School diner with a lovable yet slightly irascible Greek owner, friendly interactive staff, talkative customers, housemade soups, jelly, corned beef hash, hot sauce etc. Best thing on the menu, grits. What, great grits in Chicago, yep. Not artisanal, not stone ground, not Anson Mills, good ol' Aunt Jemima in food service bags from Gordon Food Service. The long cooking type, not quick or instant.

Angelo's "secret" is heavy cream as liquid, not milk or water or combo of. He adds a little butter, simmers until creamy yet with a fantastic texture. At the table I add a little butter and housemade hot sauce, perfection.

Yellow Rose Cafe grits are not fluffed with cheese, truffle oil or shrimp, just simple down-home goodness such as one might find south of the Mason Dim Sum line.

Closed on Sunday, cash only, open early, close early.

click to enlarge

Yellow Rose Cafe, Grits. Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #18 - August 1st, 2021, 9:12 am
    Post #18 - August 1st, 2021, 9:12 am Post #18 - August 1st, 2021, 9:12 am
    Ham and cheese on buttered bread. The French love them, Germans love them, every school kid loves them. My lunch box special request, well buttered white bread, lettuce, tomato, cheese, ham, onion. Yellow Rose uses the same ham-off-the-bone as for breakfast, which they roast in-house.

Rounded out with pickle and crispy fries, they were actually crackling when they came out and, Bob's yer Uncle, lunch!

click to enlarge

Yellow Rose, count me a Fan!

Note: Pic was taken Friday. Yellow Rose is open 6-days, closed on Sunday.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #19 - August 10th, 2021, 11:08 pm
    Post #19 - August 10th, 2021, 11:08 pm Post #19 - August 10th, 2021, 11:08 pm
    First trip but definitely not my last. Really nice stuff at YRC . . .

Ham & Cheese Omelet, Hash Browns & Rye Toast
    Textbook.

Corned Beef Hash
    Made in house.

Grits
    Delicious, creamy and piping hot.

Club Sandwich & Fries
    I regret not trying the section of this sandwich I was offered.

Not saying it'll make you forget about Patty's but YRC is the real deal.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #20 - August 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm
    Post #20 - August 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm Post #20 - August 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm
    G Wiv wrote:*Best in Chicagoland*

Angelo's "secret" is heavy cream as liquid, not milk or water or combo of. He adds a little butter, simmers until creamy yet with a fantastic texture.

Yellow Rose Cafe, Grits. Count me a Fan!

I couldn't help but asking the owner of Jestine's in Chucktown, South Carolina how in the world the grits were so good. The response was, "If you see a recipe that has water, throw it out. Use cream and butter, and cook 'em slow. You gotta use the right grits, too." I'm surprised she didn't also say, "Bless your heart*"

I'm going to YRC specifically to test your claim on those grits.

*Southern for: "You are stupid."
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #21 - August 13th, 2021, 7:57 am
    Post #21 - August 13th, 2021, 7:57 am Post #21 - August 13th, 2021, 7:57 am
    seebee wrote:I'm going to YRC specifically to test your claim on those grits.

Seeing as you and I have not agreed on most anything, aside from maybe La Chaparrita, I have high hopes and low expectations.

I absolutely love YRC grits, little topknot of butter and a squirt of YRC housemade hot sauce (don't miss that and the housemade jelly), good to go.

If you want company let me know, I'll PM you my #. Ten am is my YRC sweet spot.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #22 - August 15th, 2021, 10:12 am
    Post #22 - August 15th, 2021, 10:12 am Post #22 - August 15th, 2021, 10:12 am
    G Wiv wrote:Seeing as you and I have not agreed on most anything, aside from maybe La Chaparrita, I have high hopes and low expectations.

Though I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to as us not agreeing on most anything, since we do agree on La Chaparrita, Zaragoza, and Ghareeb Nawaz, and a good tip/link combo, that's pretty much all I need to know that you are "good people."

GWiv, count me a fan!
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #23 - August 17th, 2021, 11:19 am
    Post #23 - August 17th, 2021, 11:19 am Post #23 - August 17th, 2021, 11:19 am
    Ahh, the old Kill them with Kindness trick. :) You're right, we agree more than disagree, hope its the case with YRC grits. I sure do love them.

Seebee, count me a Fan!

seebee wrote:Though I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to as us not agreeing on most anything, since we do agree on La Chaparrita, Zaragoza, and Ghareeb Nawaz, and a good tip/link combo, that's pretty much all I need to know that you are "good people."

GWiv, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #24 - August 18th, 2021, 11:45 am
    Post #24 - August 18th, 2021, 11:45 am Post #24 - August 18th, 2021, 11:45 am
    i had a late breakfast here yesterday, along with my niece and the service dog-in-training she brought home from college for the summer. the corned beef hash was terrific; my spinach/feta omelette was 'meh', but i love the room. unfortunately, it wasn't the best place to take a very large poodle, who barely fit under the table. we got some hostile looks from the guy i think is the owner, though tessa was well behaved. when i got up to pay i asked him if i could borrow the mop to wipe up the water the dog had spilled under the table from her water bowl. he looked at me like i was nuts: was it because i wanted to clean it up myself instead of letting the staff do it after we left? i don't know, but he said he'd take care of it.... i'll be back to try lunch sometime, without the dog.
  • Post #25 - August 20th, 2021, 10:38 am
    Post #25 - August 20th, 2021, 10:38 am Post #25 - August 20th, 2021, 10:38 am
    We dine here sporadically. Despite living within walking distance we usually only eat breakfast out on Sundays when they are closed.
    Today my daughter and I had a chance to go in. We both love the “hustle & bustle” atmosphere. Feels like the hub of the neighborhood.
    Audrey went with the chocolate chip pancakes which were done in a pretty impressive Mickey Mouse shape and sprinkled with extra chocolate chips. She added a side of sausage links.
    I usually get an omelette here but went with the Huevos Rancheros this time. I would order this again - 2 easy over eggs, pico, refried beans, rice, and 4 corn tortillas. In our experience, they nail the eggs to exact specification every time. My coffee cup was never empty.
    Just pouring on the love and reminding myself to get here more often.
  • Post #26 - August 23rd, 2021, 9:58 pm
    Post #26 - August 23rd, 2021, 9:58 pm Post #26 - August 23rd, 2021, 9:58 pm
    Great grits. Nice attn to detail you won't find most anywhere w/homemade jam and hot sauce. Great diner vibe that makes me wish I could eat in the am.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #27 - September 1st, 2021, 5:55 am
    Post #27 - September 1st, 2021, 5:55 am Post #27 - September 1st, 2021, 5:55 am
    Fresh from the oven biscuit, perfect with Yellow Rose housemade jelly. Tomato was gifted by owner, that and a few of its friends went home with me for dinner with burrata and Hendrickx bread.

click to enlarge

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #28 - February 22nd, 2022, 8:45 am
    Post #28 - February 22nd, 2022, 8:45 am Post #28 - February 22nd, 2022, 8:45 am
    Yellow Rose Cafe has great corned beef hash, stands to reason house-made corned beef makes for terrific corned beef sandwiches! PSA: Always order grits, best in the Midwest.

click to enlarge

Corned beef, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #29 - May 4th, 2022, 2:49 am
    Post #29 - May 4th, 2022, 2:49 am Post #29 - May 4th, 2022, 2:49 am
    Patty Melt Goodness! Yellow Rose Cafe

click to enlarge

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #30 - July 9th, 2022, 11:54 am
    Post #30 - July 9th, 2022, 11:54 am Post #30 - July 9th, 2022, 11:54 am
    I'm seldom hungry in the morning but today was an exception and it seemed a perfect day to try this place that's been on my list for so long. I tugged on the door around 11 am (a Saturday) without results. I understand and am sympathetic to the struggles of a diner operator but, given their short hours, ubiquity of this sort of place and my dining habits, this is pretty much the same as being crossed off the list forever. I also saw another would-be patron try to enter as I walked back to my car.

I wound up going to the Elly's on Milwaukee and Central (and NW Highway and Foster), in the former Blue Angel space. It wasn't packed but it was busy. Pretty nice all around, my coffee top-off was offered three times (2 no, 1 yes, please), and the Ole skillet was quite good with generous chorizo and chopped jalapenos.

Yellow, Rose, I tried.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more