LTH Home

Outside Patio Dining... who's doing it best? (coronavirus)

Outside Patio Dining... who's doing it best? (coronavirus)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 27th, 2021, 10:06 pm
    Post #31 - June 27th, 2021, 10:06 pm Post #31 - June 27th, 2021, 10:06 pm
    Hi- One of my Sisters flew in from New Orleans Friday, and we were supposed to go to a family reunion in Niles, Michigan on Saturday, but we did not get going as soon as we should have, and by the time we finally left at 10:30, it was raining pretty hard, and we got as far South as Belmont, and there was a tornado warning, and it was really nasty out. We decided to turn around, and we did some stuff around here. We stopped in at the Swedish museum at Andersonville, and after visiting the museum we went into the store, and we ended up buying some really good cinnamon rolls. They were 6/$11. The person that makes them for the museum, lost her job during the pandemic, and decided to make cinnamon buns instead.

    We ate out a total of three times before she flew back this evening. All of the restaurants were busy. During the pandemic I only ate out four times total until this weekend. I already posted on the Pita Inn board about how they screwed up our order on Friday. On Saturday evening we went to Good to Go Jamaican restaurant on Howard, and ate on their rooftop. We both really liked our meal, and it was not crowded. I had a chicken jerk stir fry, and she had curried chicken. The only strange thing with them was that they did not have a paper menu. You had to download the menu on your phone.

    Today we ended up going to Convito Italiano in Wilmette, and eating on their patio. We got a view of the lake. We both enjoyed the food, but they gave us a paper menu for the brunch, and when the waiter came to our table, he told us that brunch was over, and none of the brunch entrees were available.. I had a crab cake, and my sister had a plate of mussels. Both of us really liked our meal. I could take or leave the sourdough bread though. They only had one waiter for the whole patio, and so he was rushed. I did see a dinner menu posted, but I am not sure if we could have ordered from that or not.

    We did a lot this weekend, even though we did not make it to the family reunion. I was driving down Howard on the Evanston side on Friday night, and somebody in a large SUV ran into my rear bumper. The Evanston police finally came, and he told us that I was in Evanston, but the other driver was in Chicago, and so we had to drive over to the 6440 Clark station to fill out a report. They checked out the camera, and the Chicago police officer said that the woman definitely hit my car. Damage was not major, and so I am going to get an estimate and see if the other driver will pay for it out of pocket.
  • Post #32 - June 28th, 2021, 8:39 am
    Post #32 - June 28th, 2021, 8:39 am Post #32 - June 28th, 2021, 8:39 am
    Last Tuesday the Evanston Lunch Group™ met for lunch on the rooftop patio of Five & Dime. The food was consistently good and the patio itself was exquisite. Click here for the report.
  • Post #33 - June 28th, 2021, 7:57 pm
    Post #33 - June 28th, 2021, 7:57 pm Post #33 - June 28th, 2021, 7:57 pm
    I met a friend at the Sunset Pavilion at Lake Zurich on Saturday, during a break in the rain that allowed us to enjoy a beautiful sunset over the lake, with boats, kayakers, water skiiers, and great blue herons passing by. This is a small deck at the edge of a lakeside park, with comfortable tall tables and chairs, docked boats and sailing boats in view, and couples with and without kids seated at tables and in the park nearby. The music playing was suited to the audience. Only fireworks would have made it a better summer evening spot.

    I can't recommend the wine prices ($17.75 a glass? Crazy!) or the craft beer prices either ($11+ a can IIRC), but flatbreads, sandwiches, and charcuterie plates to share where reasonably priced. We shared one of four flatbread options for $11 and it was tasty and enough for the two of us.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #34 - July 4th, 2021, 9:47 am
    Post #34 - July 4th, 2021, 9:47 am Post #34 - July 4th, 2021, 9:47 am
    Pappadeux in Westmont had a lovely patio option when I was there.
    Toria

    "I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #35 - July 4th, 2021, 12:58 pm
    Post #35 - July 4th, 2021, 12:58 pm Post #35 - July 4th, 2021, 12:58 pm
    Parker's in Downers Grove has always been one of my favorite restaurants, with wonderful fresh seafood in creative preparations. But until Friday, I had no idea they have a lovely outdoor patio at the far end of the restaurant from the entrance. Great food, great service, and a great patio. Highly recommended.
  • Post #36 - January 3rd, 2022, 11:05 am
    Post #36 - January 3rd, 2022, 11:05 am Post #36 - January 3rd, 2022, 11:05 am
    Looking for a place to eat at with an enclosed patio in January. Want something that is worth visiting for a b-day. Has anyone been anywhere they would recommend?
  • Post #37 - January 3rd, 2022, 11:12 am
    Post #37 - January 3rd, 2022, 11:12 am Post #37 - January 3rd, 2022, 11:12 am
    Here is one winter dining outside:
    chgoeditor wrote:A long overdue plug to our local pub, R Public House (1508 W Jarvis Ave, Chicago, IL 60626). It is the only spot we've comfortably eaten at on a regular basis since last year. They have tents that are not fully enclosed (roof and a couple sides) but did an awesome job with space heaters, both above and beside diners, so you felt warm while not feeling as if you're breathing indoor air. We were eating outside there during the worst of the winter months, often with our coats unzipped.

    We moved to Rogers Park almost two years ago and discovered the R pretty quickly. Great elevated pub fare with a very friendly community vibe. We have a long list of fav dishes, which include the Pierogi Bowl of Goodness (for brunch, pierogi with sausage gravy, bacon and fried eggs...there's an occasional special that includes pierogi, goldfish cracker crusted chicken and other goodness), several pizzas (including the recent addition, Kind of a Big Dill, which features a white sauce, dill pickles, ham and bacon), and the steakhouse wedge salad. My husband is a big fan of their burgers, while I love some of their sandwich specials, including the French onion soup sandwich (imagine the onions and cheese on Texas toast, with an onion soup dipping sauce) and the Caribbean curry wrap.

    On top of the great food -- a robust beer and liquor list, plus fantastic staff. Jarvis Square Tavern (two doors down) has the same owners, and you get get takeout at JST if the R is out of tables.
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #38 - January 3rd, 2022, 3:34 pm
    Post #38 - January 3rd, 2022, 3:34 pm Post #38 - January 3rd, 2022, 3:34 pm
    Anteprima has a lovely outdoor patio that is set up for winter use—it’s enclosed by fencing on all sides and tented with a gap for good air circulation and a space heater for every table—I’ve sat outside comfortably even when it’s quite cold out. But they’re closed for winter break til 1/11.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #39 - January 8th, 2022, 6:55 am
    Post #39 - January 8th, 2022, 6:55 am Post #39 - January 8th, 2022, 6:55 am
    The Warbler has a very toasty enclosed patio set up. It has open air covered by loose awning on one side, but you really couldn’t tell with the heaters blasting. A quirky menu with enough fanciness for an occasion dinner.
  • Post #40 - January 10th, 2022, 1:47 am
    Post #40 - January 10th, 2022, 1:47 am Post #40 - January 10th, 2022, 1:47 am
    When I was driving through downtown Wilmette on my way to the Wilmette library, I noticed that there was a restaurant that had outdoor seating that looked like it was heated. I saw a few people using it. It was either on Wilmette or Central on the South side of the street. I am not sure how much fresh air you would get though.
  • Post #41 - January 10th, 2022, 1:49 am
    Post #41 - January 10th, 2022, 1:49 am Post #41 - January 10th, 2022, 1:49 am
    I think Tre Kroner has outdoor seating that is heated.
  • Post #42 - January 10th, 2022, 9:34 am
    Post #42 - January 10th, 2022, 9:34 am Post #42 - January 10th, 2022, 9:34 am
    NFriday wrote:When I was driving through downtown Wilmette on my way to the Wilmette library, I noticed that there was a restaurant that had outdoor seating that looked like it was heated. I saw a few people using it. It was either on Wilmette or Central on the South side of the street.
    Sounds like you're describing Valley Lodge Tavern on the south side of Central at the diagonal intersection with Wilmette, where you'd make a soft left if headed to the library.
  • Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 12:04 pm
    Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 12:04 pm Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 12:04 pm
    Is Valley Lodge Tavern any good? I looked at their Yelp reviews and they were all over the place. Apparently, they have another restaurant in Glenview.
  • Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 12:06 pm
    Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 12:06 pm Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 12:06 pm
    NFriday wrote:Is Valley Lodge Tavern any good? I looked at their Yelp reviews and they were all over the place. Apparently, they have another restaurant in Glenview.

    Yes, the original is on Waukegan Road, just south of Winnetka Ave. It's been there for decades. I think it's just okay, though it certainly has its following. I haven't been to the Wilmette location.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #45 - January 19th, 2022, 3:41 pm
    Post #45 - January 19th, 2022, 3:41 pm Post #45 - January 19th, 2022, 3:41 pm
    Cathy2 wrote: Here is one winter dining outside:
    chgoeditor wrote: A long overdue plug to our local pub, R Public House (1508 W Jarvis Ave, Chicago, IL 60626). It is the only spot we've comfortably eaten at on a regular basis since last year. They have tents that are not fully enclosed (roof and a couple sides) but did an awesome job with space heaters, both above and beside diners, so you felt warm while not feeling as if you're breathing indoor air. We were eating outside there during the worst of the winter months, often with our coats unzipped.

    We moved to Rogers Park almost two years ago and discovered the R pretty quickly. Great elevated pub fare with a very friendly community vibe. We have a long list of fav dishes, which include the Pierogi Bowl of Goodness (for brunch, pierogi with sausage gravy, bacon and fried eggs...there's an occasional special that includes pierogi, goldfish cracker crusted chicken and other goodness), several pizzas (including the recent addition, Kind of a Big Dill, which features a white sauce, dill pickles, ham and bacon), and the steakhouse wedge salad. My husband is a big fan of their burgers, while I love some of their sandwich specials, including the French onion soup sandwich (imagine the onions and cheese on Texas toast, with an onion soup dipping sauce) and the Caribbean curry wrap.

    On top of the great food -- a robust beer and liquor list, plus fantastic staff. Jarvis Square Tavern (two doors down) has the same owners, and you get get takeout at JST if the R is out of tables.
    I did not expect to find R Public House mentioned here. But, it turns out I went there back in May 2021. Yes, I wound up dining outside. It was not this cold, but the photograph should illustrate the outside setup. Image Image Image Image Both R Public Square and the Jarvis Square Tavern are Black-owned businesses.
    There is one aspect which needs mentioning: R Public Square accepts credit cards; but the Jarvis Square Tavern was cash only then. (I have not revisited yet, so I cannot state if this has changed.)
    Lastly, it is really easy to get to. It is staggering distance from the Red Line "L"'s Jarvis station. :shock:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: http://74.115.231.54/~pudgym29/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more