LTH Home

Kazy Grill in Oak Lawn

Kazy Grill in Oak Lawn
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kazy Grill in Oak Lawn

Post #1 - July 20th, 2020, 9:19 am
    Post #1 - July 20th, 2020, 9:19 am Post #1 - July 20th, 2020, 9:19 am
    Last Thursday, the lovely Saint_Pizza and I were driving around running some errands, when a sign caught my notice out of the corner of my eye.

"TACO SHAWARMA," it said. "Surely not," I thought. I pulled in to confirm. Inside we found a standard takeout counter with a couple of tables and then a really lovely seating area with low couches and a table for more relaxed dining.

Yes, it turns out they sell shawarma tacos.

The chicken shawarma taco was served with tomato, parsley, and quite a lot of garlicky toum.

The beef shawarma taco added onions and mint, which helped offset the heaviness I've sometimes found offputting about beef shawarma.

The flour tortillas used for these tacos were thinner and more elastic, less puffy and gummy than many flour tortillas I've had. They could have stood to be browned a bit more on a griddle before serving but I don't think tacos will ever be my preferred delivery method for shawarma. Shrak bread may be conceptually similar to a flour tortilla but I find it a superior vehicle for this type of wrap. Also, I missed the pickles which were conspicuously absent from the tacos. Still, the shawarma was good, cut fresh from a vertical spit visible inside the open kitchen window and they were attractively presented.

We also ordered some fries--a fairly standard coated food service type, the kind that are still crisp an hour later at room temperature, notable mostly for the blanket of black pepper with which they were seasoned--and hummus, which was smooth and dressed with an intensely fruity olive oil, served with soft warm pitas on the side.

Mindy's Jerusalem salad was quite sour--I suspected for a moment that pickles had been subbed in for some of the cucumbers but that was not the case, it was just a slightly more extreme version of the salad than we were used to. (Note: we ordered an additional salad to go, so it wasn't extreme in a bad way)

As we sat, attempting to finish the excess of food we'd already ordered, the proprietor, who appeared to be alone in the restaurant apart from the two of us, offered us a few falafel to sample. These were fresh out of the fryer, slightly less herbacious than some I've had but hot and light and crisp.

Then he brought out a sample of his kufta kabob. This was ground lamb exploding with juices, served on a crisp but pliable flatbread with tomato, onion, and herbs, and needing no other condimentation. This was the best thing I'd eaten in a while.

We had to ask him to stop feeding us at that point, as we could in no way finish what we'd originally ordered, much less the add-ons he was kind enough to offer. Though it was a gimmick that brought us in the door, the attention to detail was good, and I would return for that kufta kabob alone. With a lot of Middle-Eastern options in the nearby Bridgeview/Justice area, I don't know if Kazy Grill in Oak Lawn stands out. But if you're in the neighborhood, it's worth a stop.

Kazy Grill
    5713 95th St
    Oak Lawn, IL 60453
    (708) 581-3952
    https://kazygrill.com/
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize