LTH Home

Skokie Grill and Bakery, Excellent Middle Eastern

Skokie Grill and Bakery, Excellent Middle Eastern
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Skokie Grill and Bakery, Excellent Middle Eastern

Post #1 - September 1st, 2020, 5:54 pm
    Post #1 - September 1st, 2020, 5:54 pm Post #1 - September 1st, 2020, 5:54 pm
    Made a wonderful discovery (I did a routine search of the site and this place didn’t come up) today while dropping my aged parents off for a foot appointment. Three doors down is Skokie Grill & Bakery. To say they’re located in a “modest” storefront is either an overstatement or understatement, depending on your point of view. Probably “unassuming” or even “dingy” would be more accurate, albeit undeservedly off-putting.

Anyway, I stopped in for a snack just to kill some time and instead found pure brilliance. The owners are Iraqi and they prepare some of the best Middle Eastern food I’ve had in a while. I ordered a large Baba Ghanouj and the All Day Special (Two Kefta Kabob Skewers, Salad, and Bread).

Baba Ghanouj is a benchmark item for me. If a Middle Eastern kitchen turns out a solid version, I know there’s a better than even chance the rest of the food will be good. Skokie Grill & Bakery makes some the best I’ve ever had. Rich, creamy, and loaded with the requisite smoky flavor that distinguishes a great Baba Ghanouj from an ordinary one.

The Keftas were tender, unbelievably juicy, and had a great grill flavor. They were served with a grilled quarter onion and a grilled half tomato. Both had a nice char appearance and flavor. The tomato was especially noteworthy with more sweet tomato flavor than any tomato has a right to have at this time of year.

The salad was standard issue chopped iceberg lettuce with a few chunks of raw tomato tossed in. Nothing special, but not expected to be.

Pita Bread was interesting. Slightly fluffier than most, lovely flavor, but kind of an odd shape (at least to me), sort of an oblong two-dimensional football shape. Or for fans of Family Guy, it looked like Stewie Griffin’s head after he’d been run over by a car.

There were no customers when I was there at 4pm. I know, it’s an off hour, but this place deserves some recognition and its share of business. They say things were busier pre-pandemic. I hope that’s true, and I hope they last long enough to see business build in a post-vaccine world. Based on their snug location in Skokie near Main and Keeler, I can think of no better, or more literal, candidate for a future Great Neighborhood Restaurant Award. Are we still doing those?

Buddy

Skokie Grill and Bakery
    4209 W. Main St.
    Skokie, IL 60076
    (224) 470-5138
    https://www.facebook.com/skokegrill/
  • Post #2 - September 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm
    Post #2 - September 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm Post #2 - September 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm
    Nice scoop, thanks for spreading the word. You and I are on the same page with regard to smokiness setting good baba ganoush aside from the standard issue meh pretenders.
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Pita Bread was interesting. Slightly fluffier than most, lovely flavor, but kind of an odd shape (at least to me), sort of an oblong two-dimensional football shape.
    This is another encouraging aspect of your review. I saw G Wiv using this same form of pita in some home cooking photos, that I also enjoy far more than the more common, denser version at Pita Inn's restaurants (their market has better stuff, including the even fluffier Moroccan pita, which is my absolute favorite) and most places. I used to buy this parallelogram-shaped bread with knots on the corners at an Assyrian market on Devon 50 ft west of California. Fresh Farms has the same thing from the same bakery, Baghdad Bakery (Oakton, Skokie, IIRC), but it's just not quite as fresh as the Devon place had. My guess is that it's the Assyrian version of pita, but that's just my inference (you said this owner is Iraqi, so not inconsistent).
  • Post #3 - September 1st, 2020, 7:12 pm
    Post #3 - September 1st, 2020, 7:12 pm Post #3 - September 1st, 2020, 7:12 pm
    bweiny wrote:My guess is that it's the Assyrian version of pita, but that's just my inference (you said this owner is Iraqi, so not inconsistent).

Yes, exactamundo. I get my Samoon at Fresh Farms in Niles.

Far as Fresh Farms samoon being fresh, sometimes fresher than other times, depending on timing. Never really stale though. And, occasionally, FF is out of samoon.

Good find Buddy, can't wait to check out Skokie Grill
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - September 1st, 2020, 9:05 pm
    Post #4 - September 1st, 2020, 9:05 pm Post #4 - September 1st, 2020, 9:05 pm
    As it turns out, a site search of their name turned up nothing, but a search for their address, 4209 W. Main St., Skokie, IL 60076, revealed Skokie Grill and Bakery is in the former location of Main Pizza (Cholov Yisroel & Yoshon), mentioned in this thread:

https://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=371545

Never ate at Main Pizza, but glad I found Skokie Grill. Now I'm eager to go back and check out some other menu items.

Buddy
  • Post #5 - September 2nd, 2020, 11:35 am
    Post #5 - September 2nd, 2020, 11:35 am Post #5 - September 2nd, 2020, 11:35 am
    Buddy, thanks for posting about Skokie Grill and Bakery. I just wanted to add that the grilled whole fish is excellent. Marinated pompano done Iraqi-style (masgouf).
  • Post #6 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:08 pm
    Post #6 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:08 pm Post #6 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:08 pm
    Good tip. I often bike up the North Shore Channel trail on the weekends and last time we stopped at Kabul House which was actually very good as well. I'll definitely check out Skokie Grill next time.
  • Post #7 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:12 pm
    Post #7 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:12 pm Post #7 - September 2nd, 2020, 12:12 pm
    ..Do they have / make Samoon? that's not clear.. I sure hope so.
  • Post #8 - September 2nd, 2020, 1:07 pm
    Post #8 - September 2nd, 2020, 1:07 pm Post #8 - September 2nd, 2020, 1:07 pm
    I just Googled "samoon" and saw images. That is exactly the kind of flat bread I was referring to. I guess I misspoke when I called it Pita Bread. All flat breads are Pita Bread to us ignorant Eurocentric, middle American yahoos. So yeah, they've got samoon, and it's excellent.

Buddy
  • Post #9 - September 2nd, 2020, 8:19 pm
    Post #9 - September 2nd, 2020, 8:19 pm Post #9 - September 2nd, 2020, 8:19 pm
    Ay yi yi, that must be the building that formerly housed Pinocchio Pizzeria, one of my favorite haunts of old. Possibly the 'best greasy' pizza of its day. A part of my growing up from 1967-1975. Pickup, delivery, eat-in. First time out with a girl--3 boys, 3 girls after our junior high 'May Dance'--sat in their garish red & white 'dining room' and ordered sausage pizza and RC colas.

Woman behind the counter wore crooked horn-rimmed glasses and tucked her Kleenex into the sleeves of her moo-moo. And she smoked like a chimbley.

I'll have to check this new place. "Look what they've done with my pizzeria....Ma" :D
  • Post #10 - September 5th, 2020, 10:30 pm
    Post #10 - September 5th, 2020, 10:30 pm Post #10 - September 5th, 2020, 10:30 pm
    A socially distant family gathering tonight gave us an opportunity to sample a few more of Skokie Grill's menu items. It was all pretty good but I need to modulate my enthusiasm for this place just a smidge (really, a smidge, no sarcasm). Cuz if we're just over the top enthusiastic and not totally honest in these reports then where's the credibility?

As before, the Baba was exceptional as was the Samoon. We ordered three entrees, the Lamb Kabobs, Chicken Kabobs, and the Kubba Sarai. The order-taker on the phone gave me a choice of chunks of lamb or ground meat. I was leaning toward chunks, but he recommended the groud version, which turns out to be pretty much the same as a Kefta Skewer. They were excellent, but I still want to try the "whole meat" version at some point.

Now we get to the pretty good, but less spectacular stuff. Mrs. Roadhouse ordered the Chicken Kabobs, a dish I generally make a point of avoiding because, no matter which restaurant makes it, with rare exception, it is made with lean breast meat and usually arrives dry and flavorless. IMO, Skokie Grill does not buck that trend. I guess if you're insistent on ordering anything featuring chicken breast, you're goal is to avoid the fat in the first place and you're willing to endure the dry end product that results from that choice. Still it was a decent if unremarkable dish, no better or worse than most others I've tried.

The Kubba Sarai is a bit of a mystery to me. It features three "Sarai style Kubba stuffed with meat", served in tomato or noodle soup. A Google search seems to confirm my notion that Kubba and Kibbeh are the same thing; kind of a Middle eastern Arancini, consisting of a ball of grain (rice if you're making Arancini, in this case cracked wheat) stuffed with spiced ground meat. IMO, one of the most alluring aspects of Kibbeh is the crunchy texture of the fried grain shell giving way to the tender inside. Skokie Bakery's version, served floating in soup, leaves the Kubba (Kibbeh) soggy and mushy throughout. Maybe serving the Kubba in soup is an Iraqi tradition, but it didn't work for me. Also, the tomato soup was kinda flat, no tang, no assertive tomato flavor.

Everything else was fine. Same tasty grilled tomatoes and onion chunks. The entrees are served on a bed of tasty rice and come with a bonus side of Hummus. It was fine, but given a choice between Hummus and Baba Ghanouj, I'll always take the Baba.

I'm still sold on this place, and want to continue exploring the menu. Gotta try the Shawarma, the stewed Lamb Shank, and the Grilled Fish. Noticed today on the appetizer list, they serve egg rolls. I asked if they were some kind of an Iraqi twist on traditional Chinese Egg Rolls. Nope. Just regular old Chinese Egg Rolls, so...why? Dunno, but there's still Dolma and Grilled Mushroom Skewers if you're not into Baba Ghanouj. Also need to check out the Baklava next time.

Buddy
  • Post #11 - September 5th, 2020, 11:49 pm
    Post #11 - September 5th, 2020, 11:49 pm Post #11 - September 5th, 2020, 11:49 pm
    Stopped for a mid afternoon snack, loved the place, going directly into rotation. Both street and a couple of spaces in front of the restaurant, clean, spacious, table and chairs. Two alcove tables on either side of entrance looking out on the street. Interactive, if not exactly chatty, owner, full menu and reasonable prices.

Smooth light flavorful hummus, made on the spot, I could hear the machine whirring. Crisp light fresh made hot from the fryer falafel. Very much to my taste though, those who like a more herbaceous falafel, might disagree. Fluffy warm samoon bread plus a plate of gratis veg with crunchy pickle. Small hummus, 6 falafel, bread, torshi and a yogurt drink set me back just under ten dollars inc tax not tip.

I was the only eat in customer though there were three different sets of women picking up food. The hot item seems to be, as randy77 mentions, grilled whole pompano done Iraqi-style, masgouf.

As I was leaving two sets of men walked in to either order or pickup, steady if somewhat sparse business.

Thank you Buddy, Skokie Grill, at first blush, seems a real find!

Click on image to expand

Skokie Grill, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #12 - September 6th, 2020, 12:42 pm
    Post #12 - September 6th, 2020, 12:42 pm Post #12 - September 6th, 2020, 12:42 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:The Kubba Sarai is a bit of a mystery to me. It features three "Sarai style Kubba stuffed with meat", served in tomato or noodle soup. A Google search seems to confirm my notion that Kubba and Kibbeh are the same thing; kind of a Middle eastern Arancini, consisting of a ball of grain (rice if you're making Arancini, in this case cracked wheat) stuffed with spiced ground meat. IMO, one of the most alluring aspects of Kibbeh is the crunchy texture of the fried grain shell giving way to the tender inside. Skokie Bakery's version, served floating in soup, leaves the Kubba (Kibbeh) soggy and mushy throughout. Maybe serving the Kubba in soup is an Iraqi tradition, but it didn't work for me. Also, the tomato soup was kinda flat, no tang, no assertive tomato flavor.

While finishing off the Kubba Sarai today for lunch (it wasn't that bad; I wasn't gonna just toss it in the trash), it occurred to me I may have been a tad harsh in my criticism of this dish. It's true the soup/Kibbeh combo didn't work for me; the soup was bland, the Kibbeh was rendered mushy by the bland soup, etc. But the Kibbeh itself seems like it could have been pretty good on its own.

At many restaurants the Kibbeh is a big ball of fried cracked grain with a tiny dot of filling in the middle. This was not the case with Skokie Grill's version. The outer shell was a thin layer while the inside was generously filled with ground meat. And guess what...you can get it as a stand alone item from the appetizer menu, without the dang soup.

Not sure when I'll be back in that area, but now I'm eager to try the Kibbeh (stuffed with ground meat or veggies) on its own.

Buddy
  • Post #13 - September 8th, 2020, 7:39 pm
    Post #13 - September 8th, 2020, 7:39 pm Post #13 - September 8th, 2020, 7:39 pm
    Enjoyable lunch at Skokie Bakery and Grill with Major Merrill Powers of the Salvation Army. Merrill simply radiates good will and calm. Food, though out-shown by conversation, tip-top. Second time at Skokie Grill, I'm planning a return.

Hummus and falafel as good as mentioned in my first post. Terrific slightly smokey baba ghanoush and kefta kabab that actually brought a smile to my face. Samoon for dipping, gratis veg with crunchy pickle and strong flavorful tea rounded out a wonderful lunch

Click on image to enlarge:

Skokie Grill is a gem, thanks again for posting Buddy.

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #14 - September 9th, 2020, 7:04 am
    Post #14 - September 9th, 2020, 7:04 am Post #14 - September 9th, 2020, 7:04 am
    The kubbeh soup I'm familiar with is a dense (no leavening) semolina flour dumpling stuffed with meat in a beet-based soup. The denseness of the kubbeh makes it impervious to the moisture in the soup. As with anything else in that region there are countless riffs on the same themes.
  • Post #15 - September 9th, 2020, 7:43 am
    Post #15 - September 9th, 2020, 7:43 am Post #15 - September 9th, 2020, 7:43 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:The kubbeh soup I'm familiar with is a dense (no leavening) semolina flour dumpling stuffed with meat in a beet-based soup. The denseness of the kubbeh makes it impervious to the moisture in the soup. As with anything else in that region there are countless riffs on the same themes.
    Same here. And rather than being an Iraqi preparation, I associate it more with Israeli cuisine, the beet broth soup specifically. I'm not a fan of it compared to the fried non-soup version though.
  • Post #16 - September 9th, 2020, 6:34 pm
    Post #16 - September 9th, 2020, 6:34 pm Post #16 - September 9th, 2020, 6:34 pm
    Their web site says that they open at 11:00. Got there at 11:20 today. Not open. Guess I will have to call next time.
  • Post #17 - September 9th, 2020, 6:39 pm
    Post #17 - September 9th, 2020, 6:39 pm Post #17 - September 9th, 2020, 6:39 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Their web site says that they open at 11:00. Got there at 11:20 today. Not open. Guess I will have to call next time.

When I met Merrill for lunch I called and asked. Due to Covid they now open at noon.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #18 - September 9th, 2020, 6:40 pm
    Post #18 - September 9th, 2020, 6:40 pm Post #18 - September 9th, 2020, 6:40 pm
    Thank you. I will keep that in mind.
  • Post #19 - September 10th, 2020, 9:43 am
    Post #19 - September 10th, 2020, 9:43 am Post #19 - September 10th, 2020, 9:43 am
    G Wiv wrote:The hot item seems to be, as randy77 mentions, grilled whole pompano done Iraqi-style, masgouf.

Lets address the elephant in the room first. Yes, I've now been Skokie Grill 3 out of 4 days, yes I tend to get obsessed.

Masgouf is glorious! Lightly charred, crisp skin, rich flesh, tender, moist, bone-in, butterflied, beautiful. Reminds me of Huachinango ala Veracruzana in Puerto Vallarta, though different spicing/flavor. The Bride, who is a fan of fish, loved the dish.

As mentioned up-thread, I dig the falafel and kefta kabab. I'd venture two of the best versions in Chicagoland. Just for giggles I ordered the egg roll. Fine, ok, nothing special, Crisp, pretty to look at, crunchy, neutral filling, no need to repeat. Ellen dipped her egg roll in baba laced with hot sauce and liked it more than I did.

Skokie Grill pays attention to health regs and social distancing. When I pulled up Tuesday there were two people cleaning, on sanitizing tables and chairs the other cleaning the general restaurant. While they have hand sanitizer on hand I bring my own and use intermittently at the table. Unfortunately I tend to forget them when I leave.

In addition to the fish the Bride loved the falafel and baba, she is a tougher critic than me. Value for deliciousness is high, we opted for a medium fish, $14.95, comes with buttery rice, charred tomato, onion, soup or salad and samoon.

I'm going to try to hold off on going to Skokie Grill for a week or so, I don't want the owner to think I'm a nut job. :)

Click on image to enlarge.
    Image Image

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #20 - September 10th, 2020, 11:56 am
    Post #20 - September 10th, 2020, 11:56 am Post #20 - September 10th, 2020, 11:56 am
    I was getting kabob plates from Larsa's last night and decided to get baba and a Jerusalem salad from Skokie B&G on my way to go with it. I called in both to time it right, and it went off without a hitch.

I was pretty disappointed with the baba. It has the slight smokiness, but lacked a more defining flavor and was underseasoned (not in the same league as Andies, but understandable given the price). The Jerusalem salad wasn't as good as Pita Inn's (which I consider to be pretty good). It too lacked seasoning or flavor, needing a more pungent tahini as the dressing. It was cheap, so no big deal. I may try their kabobs, but the fish sounds like the better angle, without nearby competitors.
  • Post #21 - September 10th, 2020, 2:10 pm
    Post #21 - September 10th, 2020, 2:10 pm Post #21 - September 10th, 2020, 2:10 pm
    bweiny wrote:I was pretty disappointed with the baba. It has the slight smokiness, but lacked a more defining flavor and was underseasoned (not in the same league as Andies, but understandable given the price). The Jerusalem salad wasn't as good as Pita Inn's (which I consider to be pretty good). It too lacked seasoning or flavor, needing a more pungent tahini as the dressing.

Agree on Skokie Grill's Jerusalem salad, I ordered that and a baba to take home to the wife, at her request, after Tuesday's in-house lunch. Jerusalem salad dressing was yogurt heavy, not a lot of flavor and a little watery. She was not enamored either.

Disagree on the baba, I like the light smokiness, think the flavor mild though enjoyable and dig the creaminess. If choosing between hummus and baba I go hummus every time but, at $2.95 for a good size small, get both.

For me (so far) Skokie Grill highlights have been Masgouf/fish, falafel, hummus and kefta kabab.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #22 - September 13th, 2020, 4:38 pm
    Post #22 - September 13th, 2020, 4:38 pm Post #22 - September 13th, 2020, 4:38 pm
    OK, seeing that Skokie Grill & Bakery took over my greasy-yet-beloved Pinocchio's Pizza from days heretofore, I had to check it out today.

Got a range of carry-out. I hate to make the inevitable comparison of this Iraqi cuisine to Pita Inn's Jordanian, but had I visited Mizrahi Grill (Israeli) more often, I'd have been able to use that in the mix too.

Hommos - excellent, creamy, among the very best I've tasted.
    Baba Ghannouj - as described above, slightly smoky, but at the top of my list of baba. Much better than Pita Inn's, even though I realize it's different.
    Falafil - no parsley (isn't that what gives Pita Inn's its green tint?), and I think made with yellow peas instead of chickpeas. Perfectly fine, better when dipped in sauce, hommos or baba, but not as crunchy as I'd like.
    Egg rolls - got them as a goof because of its incongruity. From frozen at the store.
    Fatoush Salad - decent, nothing special.
    Jerusalem Salad - Just OK, needed salt, pepper, spices. Not creamy like Pita Inn's.
    Kefta Kabab - as stated upthread, simply delicious. Juicy, a little lamb-y (good for me, not so much for my wife), one of the stars of the show.
    Lamb Kabab - Decent but somewhat dry.
    Sauces - bright yellow/orange turmeric-based (good, fun to pair with different items); white tahini (probably traditional but bland); red hot sauce (excellent, levels of flavor not present in Pita Inn's, you have to ask for it)
    Pita (Samoon) - I like it a lot, especially with the hommos & baba. Doesn't dry out in the oven like Pita Inn's, although I realize they're two different animals completely.

All in all, enjoyed Skokie Grill & Bakery a lot, maybe because frankly I've kinda burned myself out on Pita Inn over the last 20 years. I see a picture of anything on their menu, I know exactly how it's going to taste, and more importantly (with a touchy GI system sometimes), what's going to sit well.

Next time, definitely I'll try the musgouf, and compare it--oddly enough--with the grilled blue mackerel at Hwang Dae Gham, a favorite Korean joint of mine in Mundelein. I think it might be similar.

One of the owners, a woman, could not have been nicer & made me realize that yes, enjoyment of food is the common denominator among all the peoples of this planet.

I second Gary's 'Count Me A Fan'!
  • Post #23 - September 13th, 2020, 8:28 pm
    Post #23 - September 13th, 2020, 8:28 pm Post #23 - September 13th, 2020, 8:28 pm
    I live very close to this restaurant, and after reading all of the glowing reports my husband and I walked over to order. He ordered the 4 way combo, and I ordered the combo special which is vegetarian, and I was really looking forward to it. I also tried to order the tabouli salad as a side and she said they were out and pointed out that I would get the baba ganoush as part of the meal. We were quoted 20 minutes and the day was beautiful so we went for a walk and came back. As others have pointed out she is lovely. I will say my food was good..... it just wasn't what I ordered. After all that conversation, I got the 2 way combo. It was good. Unfortunately one of my 2020 curses has been that when we order anywhere except La Rosa or HoHo Chinese.... my food is not what I ordered. Ah well, maybe another time.
  • Post #24 - September 23rd, 2020, 1:55 am
    Post #24 - September 23rd, 2020, 1:55 am Post #24 - September 23rd, 2020, 1:55 am
    Another tip-top Skokie Grill meal. Attention to detail is key. For example, when I ordered the lunch special, $7.99, the owner mentioned kefta kabab was particularly good today as he just ground the meat. Juicer, and damn if the 70/30 beef/lamb mix wasn't better than usual, which is very good. He also mentioned chicken thigh is used for chicken shawarma, juicer, no dry chicken breast for Skokie Grill.

For the sharp eyed, there are 5 falafel on my plate. Lunch special comes with two, I added three more. I really dig Skokie Grill's falafel.

click to enlarge image.

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #25 - September 23rd, 2020, 4:38 am
    Post #25 - September 23rd, 2020, 4:38 am Post #25 - September 23rd, 2020, 4:38 am
    I was frustrated again last week in my attempt to try them. You said that the owner said they were opening at noon now. At 12:20 they were not open.

Since I rarely eat breakfast, I just can't go to lunch later than that.
  • Post #26 - September 23rd, 2020, 8:33 am
    Post #26 - September 23rd, 2020, 8:33 am Post #26 - September 23rd, 2020, 8:33 am
    lougord99 wrote:I was frustrated again last week in my attempt to try them. You said that the owner said they were opening at noon now. At 12:20 they were not open.

I feel I should apologize but not sure why.

I met Merrill at about 12:15 and yesterday I was there at 12 ish. Not sure what to say aside from call, try to go a little later or third times the charm.

I seem to have a penchant for restaurants with fluid opening times, Hermosa for example. I assure you, at least from my point of view, both are worth the extra effort.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #27 - September 24th, 2020, 10:42 am
    Post #27 - September 24th, 2020, 10:42 am Post #27 - September 24th, 2020, 10:42 am
    Met an LTHer at Skokie Grill for lunch yesterday, great lunch, better conversation! Yes, that's two days in a row and, yes, they were open at 12:04 when I arrived.

We enjoyed, Baba, Hummus, Kefta Kabab, Falafel, salad, samoon, rice.

click on image to enlarge

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide