LTH Home

Same Same

Same Same
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Same Same

Post #1 - September 6th, 2020, 4:57 pm
    Post #1 - September 6th, 2020, 4:57 pm Post #1 - September 6th, 2020, 4:57 pm
    I got here as soon as I could after learning Same Same, a couple-months-old place in Roscoe Village, makes its own curry pastes. As has been noted and/or alluded to in other threads, very few Thai restaurants in Chicago--including the ones that look beyond the standard Ameri-thai menu--make their own pastes; as far as I know, In-On is the only other one in town confirmed to do so.

Same Same is not In-On.

I mean that both literally and figuratively: it's a different kind of Thai restaurant--and, you could say, a different kind of American Thai restaurant--and it won't be knocking In-On out of your rotation. But if you appreciate the Pok-Pok model of a curated menu of big-flavor dishes + cocktails and craft beer--side note: it's amazing it took fifteen years for someone to appropriate it here--then it's worth a visit.

The curries are, indeed, excellent. The Khao Soi may be the best in the city: the herbs really punch through, and the chile jam brings a nuanced heat that layers and linger. We also got the Panang curry, which was artfully balanced in terms of its sweetness and herbaceousness.

The main plates, though, were snoozers. I ordered the pork shank thinking it was a play on that great ATK dish of pork belly and egg in a Chinese five-space braise and broth; it turned out to be akin to pot roast in texture and taste, sort of like a Hawaiian lunch plate without, you know, any flavor. The "Vietnamese wings" reminded me more of the sauce-doused fried chicken I ate at Ravinia BBQ & Grill growing up (HP stand up) than the sticky, funky specimens at Pok Pok or even Pacific Standard Time--not bad, but not in the same level as elsewhere.

They have seating both in a back patio and on a closed-off Roscoe Ave. Hopefully someone will weigh in soon about the fried chicken and green curry...

Same Same
    2022 W Roscoe St
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 697-8688
    https://www.samesamechicago.com/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles