LTH Home

Jarasa Kabob, Tasty Fast Casual Middle Eastern

Jarasa Kabob, Tasty Fast Casual Middle Eastern
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Jarasa Kabob, Tasty Fast Casual Middle Eastern

Post #1 - September 28th, 2020, 10:32 pm
    Post #1 - September 28th, 2020, 10:32 pm Post #1 - September 28th, 2020, 10:32 pm
    Jarasa Kabob lunch with the bride, jumps right into rotation. Similar food, similar ordering system, similar physical layout to Crave Kabob. Flavor, quality, price, multiple steps above. Service terrific, friendly, informed, No .75c for a small plastic cup of hot sauce. Order at counter, Chipotle style, even have Bowls available.

Friendly greeting when walking in, gratis pair of falafel on hummus while we ordered plus the owner brought us baklava as we were packing up lunch leftovers.

Hummus smooth with a topknot of pureed chile, olive and whole garbanzo. Falafel crisp, moist, herby. Chicken shawarma Arabi delicious, a nicely pressed sandwich cut in pieces filled with juicy slightly crisp chicken and veg, pickles and fries on the side. Kefta kabob pressed sandwich, all beef, so juicy it dripped all over my shirt served with a side of slaw. Tabbouleh parsley heavy, not my preferred style, but a style nonetheless. My favorite bottled yogurt drink on hand, soda, both fountain and can.

Jarasa Kabob is very different from my current Middle Eastern fav, Skokie Grill, which is more mom & pop, slower service, homey presentation, great food. Jarasa is very much fast casual paradigm without scarifying quality and flavor.

Parking, indoor and outside seating, take-away. Attention to social distancing, masks worn by employees, hand sanitizer placed around the restaurant. Only open a month they are giving 15% off during lunch for the time being.

Thanks polster and rfleisch1 for recommending Jarasa Kabob in the Crave Kabob thread.

Jarasa Kabob, count me a Fan!

click on image to expand
    ImageImage

Jarasa Kabob
    3641 Dempster St
    Skokie, IL 60076
    http://www.jarasakabob.com
    847-423-2088

Skokie Grill and Bakery
    4209 W. Main St.
    Skokie, IL 60076
    224-470-5138

Crave Kabob
    7240 Niles Center Road
    Skokie, IL 60077
    847-393-7111
    http://www.cravekabob.com

Second location:
    Crave Kabob
    1521 W Madison St
    Chicago, IL 60607
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - September 29th, 2020, 1:03 pm
    Post #2 - September 29th, 2020, 1:03 pm Post #2 - September 29th, 2020, 1:03 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Jarasa Kabob
    Hummus smooth with a topknot of pureed chile, olive and whole garbanzo.

Topknot :shock: I'd go just for all that pureed chile, screw the hummus :)
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #3 - September 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm
    Post #3 - September 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm Post #3 - September 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm
    1 thing I am not sure is authentic but noticed Jarasa Kabob, Detroit Kabob House, Baghdad Restaurant, and probably others is they use what looks to be a pressed/toasted flour tortilla in there wraps instead of using the large pita bread. I assume this is because of cost considerations.
  • Post #4 - September 29th, 2020, 5:00 pm
    Post #4 - September 29th, 2020, 5:00 pm Post #4 - September 29th, 2020, 5:00 pm
    polster wrote:1 thing I am not sure is authentic but noticed Jarasa Kabob, Detroit Kabob House, Baghdad Restaurant, and probably others is they use what looks to be a pressed/toasted flour tortilla in there wraps instead of using the large pita bread. I assume this is because of cost considerations.

Quite possibly or it may be a type of Lavash or Lebanese flatbread. Either way, the sandwich was pressed toasted and tasted terrific.

Edit: I asked Ellen who, oddly, actively dislikes flour tortillas. She thought the wrap was Lebanese flatbread. She said it did not have that flour tortilla “feel”
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - September 30th, 2020, 7:22 am
    Post #5 - September 30th, 2020, 7:22 am Post #5 - September 30th, 2020, 7:22 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    polster wrote:1 thing I am not sure is authentic but noticed Jarasa Kabob, Detroit Kabob House, Baghdad Restaurant, and probably others is they use what looks to be a pressed/toasted flour tortilla in there wraps instead of using the large pita bread. I assume this is because of cost considerations.

Quite possibly or it may be a type of Lavash or Lebanese flatbread. Either way, the sandwich was pressed toasted and tasted terrific.

Edit: I asked Ellen who, oddly, actively dislikes flour tortillas. She thought the wrap was Lebanese flatbread. She said it did not have that flour tortilla “feel”

Since they are Jordanian, it is probably shrak, which is closer to the Iraqi laffa than Lebanese lavash. Flat bread traditions are taken very seriously in the Levant.
  • Post #6 - September 30th, 2020, 10:27 am
    Post #6 - September 30th, 2020, 10:27 am Post #6 - September 30th, 2020, 10:27 am
    Confirmed by the owner/MGR reply they are using a flour tortilla for their wraps via the google review from 3 weeks ago:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jarasa+ ... 5b9143,1,,,
  • Post #7 - September 30th, 2020, 11:44 am
    Post #7 - September 30th, 2020, 11:44 am Post #7 - September 30th, 2020, 11:44 am
    lodasi wrote:Flat bread traditions are taken very seriously in the Levant.

Or ........ not.
  • Post #8 - September 30th, 2020, 5:13 pm
    Post #8 - September 30th, 2020, 5:13 pm Post #8 - September 30th, 2020, 5:13 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Or ........ not.

To be fair, the "owner/manager" did not say they are using flour tortillas. Just that they "try to be innovative"

Though, at least to me, its a distinction without a difference as the sandwiches are toasty, perfectly pressed and delicious.

As an aside, I love these side-tracks when they involve matters culinary. When its ten posts about whether a place is .6 miles east of the brown line or throwing shade on iconography my nether regions clinch. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - October 17th, 2020, 10:20 am
    Post #9 - October 17th, 2020, 10:20 am Post #9 - October 17th, 2020, 10:20 am
    Back again last week. Clean, quick, value for deliciousness, friendly staff. Jarasa Kabob is a contender on the Middle Eastern Chicagoland trail.

Kefta kabob and falafel = lunch.

click on image to enlarge

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - October 18th, 2020, 8:47 am
    Post #10 - October 18th, 2020, 8:47 am Post #10 - October 18th, 2020, 8:47 am
    Back to Jarasa once again. Stuck on kefta kabob and falafel. Added lentil soup to yesterdays mix, thick, flavorful, served with croutons and wedge of lemon. Hit the spot on a blustery winter approaching day.

click on image to enlarge

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #11 - October 18th, 2020, 3:54 pm
    Post #11 - October 18th, 2020, 3:54 pm Post #11 - October 18th, 2020, 3:54 pm
    Based upon Gary's rec, I went for lunch week before last. I had Kefka Kabob, which I thought was very good. I was given a free falafel, which I thought was outstanding. I'm going with falafel next time.
  • Post #12 - October 18th, 2020, 7:05 pm
    Post #12 - October 18th, 2020, 7:05 pm Post #12 - October 18th, 2020, 7:05 pm
    Another place to try Gary, since you tried Jarasa after Crave Kabob... A new middle eastern fast casual restaurant by the name Spice & Fire Grill opened a couple weeks ago in Morton Grove on Golf Road which I think compares favorably to Jarasa. I would try the lunch special for $6.99 (M-TH) as I thought the taste and quality of the shawarma and falafel compare well to Jarasa and Pita Inn.

Spice & Fire Grill
    https://www.spicefiregrill.com/
  • Post #13 - October 19th, 2020, 9:58 am
    Post #13 - October 19th, 2020, 9:58 am Post #13 - October 19th, 2020, 9:58 am
    Not to dispute GWiv's palate, but my visit to Jarasa Kabob was disappointing. They gave me a sample of the lentil soup, which was good, especially with the added lemon and croutons.

The falafel sandwich was terrible. The falafel inside was cold, mealy and dry. They pressed the sandwich; that only served to make the wrap dry and stiff. I didn't finish the sandwich.

It's entirely possible that the sandwich suffered in transit, but I live pretty close. I'm inclined to think that none of the sandwich ingredients were terribly fresh to begin with. Eating in might improve the situation, but I'm exclusively take-out at this point.

Not like Skokie is lacking in falafel choices....

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #14 - October 19th, 2020, 3:04 pm
    Post #14 - October 19th, 2020, 3:04 pm Post #14 - October 19th, 2020, 3:04 pm
    Giovanna wrote:The falafel sandwich was terrible.

YMMV
    I've been to Jarasa thrice, had an order of eat-in falafel thrice. Each of the thrice was tip-top.
    YMMV
    I hope to have Jarasa falafel thrice more in the next few weeks. (I'm stuck on the word thrice)
    YMMV

As an aside, just so you don't think I'm a Pita Pollyanna. I went to Spice & Fire Grill today for lunch. Post title is going to be Spice & Fire Grill: Where hospitality went to die. And it goes down from there. ;)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #15 - October 19th, 2020, 3:31 pm
    Post #15 - October 19th, 2020, 3:31 pm Post #15 - October 19th, 2020, 3:31 pm
    I don't doubt your experiences have been good. My mileage did indeed vary.

Now if only I could get a meal from Afghan Kabob that's as good as the one I had when they were on Montrose, I'd be a happy eater.

Thanks for saving me a trip to Fire & Spice Grill.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #16 - October 19th, 2020, 7:38 pm
    Post #16 - October 19th, 2020, 7:38 pm Post #16 - October 19th, 2020, 7:38 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Giovanna wrote:The falafel sandwich was terrible.

YMMV
    I've been to Jarasa thrice, had an order of eat-in falafel thrice. Each of the thrice was tip-top.
    YMMV
    I hope to have Jarasa falafel thrice more in the next few weeks. (I'm stuck on the word thrice)
    YMMV

Of course, I suspect you never had the falafel in a sandwich.
  • Post #17 - October 19th, 2020, 7:46 pm
    Post #17 - October 19th, 2020, 7:46 pm Post #17 - October 19th, 2020, 7:46 pm
    scottsol wrote:

wtaf.

What possible reason would I have to lie about my actual lunch?

Maybe it was called a wrap. I've been a member of the LTH community since early chowhound days. Mike Gebert was pushing his sons around in a stroller the first time I met him.

You are not entitled to treat me with this level of disrespect.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #18 - October 19th, 2020, 8:15 pm
    Post #18 - October 19th, 2020, 8:15 pm Post #18 - October 19th, 2020, 8:15 pm
    Giovanna wrote:You are not entitled to treat me with this level of disrespect.

I think he meant me. And he’s right. I never had Jarasa falafel in a sandwich. I’ve had the kefta kabob sandwich thrice. Loved it all thrice times. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #19 - October 19th, 2020, 8:23 pm
    Post #19 - October 19th, 2020, 8:23 pm Post #19 - October 19th, 2020, 8:23 pm
    Thrice blessings upon all who wish to eat well.

Many followers of our path have had meals that diverged from the common wisdom or other's experiences.

Or perhaps went there on a bad day.

So it goes.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #20 - October 20th, 2020, 12:54 am
    Post #20 - October 20th, 2020, 12:54 am Post #20 - October 20th, 2020, 12:54 am
    Giovanna wrote:
    scottsol wrote:

wtaf.

What possible reason would I have to lie about my actual lunch?

Maybe it was called a wrap. I've been a member of the LTH community since early chowhound days. Mike Gebert was pushing his sons around in a stroller the first time I met him.

You are not entitled to treat me with this level of disrespect.

Giovanna

I quoted G Wiv’s post, and my comment was directed to him.
  • Post #21 - July 16th, 2021, 7:21 am
    Post #21 - July 16th, 2021, 7:21 am Post #21 - July 16th, 2021, 7:21 am
    Jarasa Kabob still tip-top tasty Middle eastern. Busy takeout, only one other dine-in. A family of four with two kids. Son was a constant stream of sniveling, whining and fire alarm shrill. If I had a canoe paddle I might of swatted the little b@st#rd.

click to enlarge

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #22 - November 22nd, 2023, 8:24 am
    Post #22 - November 22nd, 2023, 8:24 am Post #22 - November 22nd, 2023, 8:24 am
    Jarasa Kabob is still chugging along. I had an unplanned stop in the area yesterday and it was lunchtime.

Decided to go somewhat healthy to offset the upcoming meat-centric meals this week. Veggie Combo Special with eggplant and tahini salads for the sides hit the spot. I was a happy camper.

Stopped by NYBB across the street for bagels and chive cream cheese. Life is good.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more